General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st training ride on PCH Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-09 12:26 PM

User image

New user

SoCal
Subject: 1st training ride on PCH
Great place for a training ride, free to make the ride as long or as short as needed.  Good bike lanes for most of the ride, good scenery ........... but WOW!....the wind on the return trip was stout.  Haven't done much biking in past 4 years but am getting the itch for another IM, so I brought the bike out of the garage & am ready to start training.  Amazing how quickly your endurance fades.  I've got a looooong way to go before I'm back in the 100 mile range. 

2012-07-09 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4301564

User image

Subject: RE: 1st training ride on PCH

PCH can be great training, but there are large sections I avoid completely, especially during the summer.  I find north of Cross Creek to be where it starts to get a bit safer, but just had a BTer nailed there last week.

Be careful out there

2012-07-09 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
My wife and I tend to ride out of Zuma Beach/Point Dume...you can get in a nice 40 mile r/t ride from there out to Las Posas and back.  Biggest problem out there is careless surfers pulling into and out of parking spots at the various public beaches along the route...you really have to ride defensively in those stretches of parked cars.
2012-07-09 4:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'm the BT'er that just got nailed out there...

PCH can be really nice, but watch yourself in areas where there are cars parallel parked on the shoulder.  They tend to pull out unexpectedly, without looking for cyclists.  Heading south on PCH right at Pt. Dume, I had a truck pull out and make a u-turn -- I was going around 25mph when it happened.  It could have been a lot worse; I have a lot of road rash, bruises, needed stitches in my knee, and have an MRI scheduled to get the knee checked out.  But not head/neck injuries, and no other cars involved.

Enjoy your riding, but watch out for inattentive drivers!

2012-07-09 6:25 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Best of luck with your speedy recovery with your knee and hopefully some financial restitution from the insurance . I am glad it was not more serious . Be careful out there and write to your elected officials about adding dedicated bike lanes .
2012-07-16 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
I choose to suffer on than trainer rather than ride on PCH...and I live a block off of it.

2012-07-16 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4302252

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA
ligersandtions - 2012-07-09 2:32 PM

PCH can be really nice, but watch yourself in areas where there are cars parallel parked on the shoulder.  They tend to pull out unexpectedly, without looking for cyclists.  Heading south on PCH right at Pt. Dume, I had a truck pull out and make a u-turn -- I was going around 25mph when it happened.  It could have been a lot worse; I have a lot of road rash, bruises, needed stitches in my knee, and have an MRI scheduled to get the knee checked out.  But not head/neck injuries, and no other cars involved.

Wow, I heard about this from a couple other Tri friends, sorry to hear about you accident.  

Did the driver stop?  Was he/she cited by Police?  I ask because I wonder if anyone is doing anything to deter the lack of awareness for cyclists?

2012-07-16 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4314636

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
STut - 2012-07-16 3:07 PM
ligersandtions - 2012-07-09 2:32 PM

Wow, I heard about this from a couple other Tri friends, sorry to hear about you accident.  

Did the driver stop?  Was he/she cited by Police?  I ask because I wonder if anyone is doing anything to deter the lack of awareness for cyclists?

The driver did stop.  CHP was called and I assume he was cited.  He did not have a current driver's license or current proof of insurance (though it has been confirmed that he does have a current policy).  I was told that his truck was impounded, though I didn't see any of this in person as I was in the ambulance at the time.  

I'd like to think that this guy, at least, will look for cyclists before attempting to flip a u-turn.  Who knows what (if anything) is being done to encourage cyclist awareness in the general public.  

2012-07-16 7:17 PM

User image

Rode PCH last weekend, I HATE it in summer.  We rode Latigo and came down mulholland going north to the rock, but stayed on PCH coming back south to Cross Creek where we parked.   Carrillo wasn't bad,  but Zuma was downright dangerous. Won't be riding it again until Fall unless it's a way to get into the mountains.   Cars pulling out, cars doing ueys across double yellows, cars pulling out of spots, backing into spots.....  ugh

Saw a few crazy folks riding Cross Creek - Temescal stretch at about 12 noon.  Absolutely nuts

Edited by ChrisM 2012-07-16 7:18 PM
2012-07-16 8:21 PM

PCH is awesome for riding - but the side climbs on the side are really where it's at. 

I'll admit that the high speed traffic does freak me out to some degree - those 70mph buses cruising by create quite a wind.

It's not as bad as it sounds though, and there's no real reason to not ride it. There are so many cyclists on it on the weekend that cars are looking for you, so as long as you're careful when the parked car density kicks up in some areas, I don't feel it's any more dangerous than any moderately trafficked road. 

The climbs are where it's at though. I'd ride the Santa Monica -> Trancas as the warmup for the Mulholland highway and other climbs. 

2012-07-16 11:37 PM
in reply to: #4314925

User image

yazmaster - 2012-07-16 6:21 PM

PCH is awesome for riding - but the side climbs on the side are really where it's at. 

I'll admit that the high speed traffic does freak me out to some degree - those 70mph buses cruising by create quite a wind.

It's not as bad as it sounds though, and there's no real reason to not ride it. There are so many cyclists on it on the weekend that cars are looking for you, so as long as you're careful when the parked car density kicks up in some areas, I don't feel it's any more dangerous than any moderately trafficked road. 

The climbs are where it's at though. I'd ride the Santa Monica -> Trancas as the warmup for the Mulholland highway and other climbs. 

I agree it's about the climbing, but I have a long list of reasons not to ride certain sections of PCH (particularly SM - Cross Creek), especially this time of year.  I've known several very good riders that have gone down from cars

Maybe I'm getting older and my personal risk tolerance has dropped. 

Edited by ChrisM 2012-07-16 11:47 PM

2012-07-17 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4315161

ChrisM - 2012-07-16 11:37 PM
yazmaster - 2012-07-16 6:21 PM

I agree it's about the climbing, but I have a long list of reasons not to ride certain sections of PCH (particularly SM - Cross Creek), especially this time of year.  I've known several very good riders that have gone down from cars

Maybe I'm getting older and my personal risk tolerance has dropped. 

I rode that stretch every weekend for 2 years straight from cross creek - santa monica. It's not more dangerous than the rest, imo. The car traffic is substantially slower at the later hours of the day on weekends due to traffic, and you just need to slow down some if there are parked surfer cars on the side.

The real dangerous area imo are the narrowed shoulder areas near-past cross creek, or where the car traffic gets sufficientlylight that the avg speed is 70mph. One inattentive driver at that speed, and it's game over. At the pre cross-creek area, there are enough cars and cyclists that cars are pretty attentive to you.

I don't think there's a reason to be scared of riding Santa monica to cross creek, just stay aware, and it's totally fine. 

2012-07-17 12:14 PM

User image

Rode it for several years every weekend myself, from Torrance up to the climbs/the rock in IM and HIM training.  Guess it's one of those things we'll have to agree to disagree on. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st training ride on PCH Rss Feed