General Discussion Race Reports! » Inter-Rockin Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inter-Rockin Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Interlochen, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 7s
Overall Rank = 150/168
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

This wasn't just a race, it was a whole weekend. It started with me feeling guilty about spending $150 on a race and campsite. I love camping. My husband doesn't love sleeping in a tent so we had to purchase a pop-up. I've traveled with a pop up before but never with this husband. That was an adventure in itself, and by adventure I mean learning experience/test of our marriage. We survived. Apparerntly, in true jogo form, I turned into evil tri-b*tch on race morning. I didn't think I was that bad considering that my husband forgot his CPAP machine and snored loud enough to hear 8 campsites down and his phone kept "DROID"-ing because he has it on "alert" every time he gets a frickin' email. I got about 3 hours of sleep. Alarm off at 6am (8:30 wave, 7:40 transition close). I had to make coffee on a 1 burner propane thingy in a percolator. That took forever and my coffee was textured!! Blech!! Drank about a half cup and had some greek yogurt with a nectarine and a couple of almonds.
Event warmup:

Not your typical warm up but I was totally warm by the time my wave started. ;)

We left the campsite at 7:15am for 0.5 mile drive to the parking lot. Bill didn't want to walk it over. The road was closed already so they rerouted us to another part of the park and we ended up with a 0.75 mile walk/run because transition was closing by that point. Who knew it would take 25 minutes to get 0.5 miles? Threw my stuff in transition. Found someone to body mark me and the racers were being called to the swim area. I ran down there and saw my friends from afar. I noticed that they had a chip on their ankle. Ooops!! Forgot to get my chip. Ran back up the hill to find someone to give me my chip and then back down to hear the rest of the swim instructions. Total panic!! Found my friends, in time for pics with the other sprinters. The oly wave was already in the water.
Swim
  • 16m 46s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

Thought it was a really well done swim for the lack of swimming that I have done. Water too hot for wetsuits. Breathed every 4th stroke and spotted every 12th stroke. I stayed pretty straight. Got kicked a lot by breast strokers. Not congested at all, lots of open area to find a groove. I never felt like I was in a mixing bowl of people. On the downside, I never found any one to draft off of either. Really thought my swim rocked. Very, very controlled. No breaks, no resets, just swimming. Very shallow at the end, had to walk it in. Lots of warnings about swimmers itch in the shallow areas. Fortunately I did not get it. Out of the swim was a pretty long run up a hill starting on sand to asphalt to trail before clocking in at the Run In area to transition. I figure that only took me 1.5 minutes so my time was pretty close to what I had thought (told my DH 12-15 minutes for my swim). Probably was out in 15. Not sure. Doesn't matter. It was a really awesome swim for me!!! Not really worried about time or pace with anything this race. Happy to not have drowned.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Could not get bike gloves on.

Would practice getting bike gloves on. Hadn't practiced transitions at all and haven't done one in 3 years.
Bike
  • 48m 9s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was good for me and again my lack of training. I geared out in my middle chain ring about half way through and had to move up into the big chain ring. I kept telling myself-don't fear the big chain ring, just go with it. I rode big chain ring the rest of the ride. My right hand was totally numb and painful by the end. I couldn't get my gloves on in transition.

Quote of the day came from a guy who was passing me: Did you smell that bacon at that house? Me-Yes, it smelled wonderful. Him-They should make bacon flavored gu. He may just be on to something. Bacon gu with an expresso love gu as a chaser-yummmmm!! (and I don't even like bacon)

I would wear my gloves. Really lost all use of my right hand. Still hurts 2 days later. Not much else I could do differently as my training on the bike and my lack of love for the bike made this the best I could give.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Let me point out that I don't do anything on the bike that may cause me injury. I just try to stay upright. There is no riding with the feet out of the shoues or jumping or running. My dismount took time. I clipped out my left foot just before the dismount line and then did my impression of the Fred Flinstone stop so that I could stop with my feet already on the ground. I actually got yelled at to move out of the dismount area quicker so that those doing their flying dismounts wouldn't fly over me. I was good with that. No one was injured, especially not me. Suck it, 3D! I am quite aware of the time it takes me and who is near me.

I gave my all to this. On this day, there was nothing I could do better with the training I had.
Run
  • 36m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I was sucking air from the beginning. Again, I have not really practiced a decent brick in 3 years. My legs were not the issue. My breathing was very short. I kept feeling out of breath. I am sure now it is from the half cup of bad coffee in the morning and only about 6 oz of nasty tasting heed on the bike. I was so dry when I was running. The aid station at "mile 1" seemed to be forever and then lo and behold the 1 mile marker was still another 0.25 miles up from the 1 mile water station. Whatever!! Lots of "encouragement" every time I walked, which was often. I heard things like "slow and steady but keep running", "run-you are almost there (only 3 miles to go), come on-run, you can do it-just run, etc... At one point Becky (my captain's wife) yelled to me "come on Joanne, run up that hill". Darn you Becky-every one up the hill heard her so then I got from several spectators-"come on Joanne RUN". All of this did encourage me and when people said things like this, I did not flip them off (as old jogo probably would've done) but I did run. I also heard from my team mates, "you look good", "you've got this", team Motiv8 in the house" and the best "I'LL HAVE THE BLOOD MARY'S WAITING FOR YOU AT THE FINISH LINE, YOU LOOK LIKE YOU NEED SOME ELECTROLYTE REPLACEMENT". I love my team!!!

I gave this my all. The run/walk was all I had in me. I would've liked to have run the whole way but it was the best I could do.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around cheering in Oly teammates and taking pictures. Watched my paramedic piglets/teammates, rush to the rescue of an elderly gentleman who collapsed after he got his AG medal. The man was fine. My poor hot piglets(who had just raced the oly) were sore after squatting at his side for 20 minutes waiting for an ambulance to arrive.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training but that comes when you sign up for a tri that is only 2 weeks away.

Event comments:

Had a great time "recovering" at the campsites with a fire and several recovery beverages. Great weekend!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:46 | 500 meters | 03m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 0/168
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-Suit: one piece
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:09 | 12.43 miles | 15.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/5
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Pretty flat. Occasional roller thrown in to keep it interesting. Roads were pretty good. Some rumble strips (I enjoy those much more in a car) and an occasional blip in the road but overall very nice roads.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:19 | 03.11 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Performance: Average
Course: Pretty flat, just really 1 hill. Course markers seemed long for mile 1 and 3. Mile 2 seemed short. Trail to asphalt to dirt back to trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-10 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Subject: Inter-Rockin Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-07-10 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4303716

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Inter-Rockin Triathlon - Sprint Course

Yaaay, welcome back to triathlon! Laughing

I LOVED the Fred Flintstone comment

2012-07-10 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Great job! Especially on a last-minute race! Glad you had lots of piglet-type company out there.
2012-07-10 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Awesome! On 2 weeks notice, that is just cool, you are all heart!
2012-07-10 2:29 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
What a fun report to read, and I loved your comments in the run section, especially the comment of Bloody Mary's being electrolyte replacement.  That's awesome!!   Congrats on doing the race and finishing safely, not having trained for very long!
2012-07-10 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Well done! I love that in the past you would flip people off for trying to give encouragement . That's a hoot!

2012-07-10 3:39 PM

User image

Melon Presser

YAAAAAY Jo, Revenge of the Triathlete! Well done! And way to just jump back in the mix.

Hawt pics.

Bacon, espresso, and Bloody Marys.

2012-07-10 4:20 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Great Race!!

I've been pushing for bacon flavored GUs as well.  We should start a petition.

2012-07-10 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

JO! Sounds like a fantastic day!!

And I loved your RR report!  My fav parts:

-textured coffee

-you pre race 'warm up'

-a great swim

-a conversation about bacon gu

-Fred Flinstone bike dismount

-not flipping off the spectators

Great, great job, manatee!!  Proud of you!!

2012-07-11 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4304840

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Nicely done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inter-Rockin Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed