General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-06-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Originally posted by smithe68

Already going to ask the crazy question, is anyone doing this race again next year? I know I am not but I am going to be a volunteer in the water and probably catch for the last 3 hours as well. Planning on doing this race again in 2015 and if I get lucky IMFL as well.

Hope everyone is recovering quickly and good luck in whatever your next race, or endeavor is.

I'd LOVE to do Louisville this year but wife has put the no on that one. I have all this fitness and nothing to do with it. I'll be doing IMTexas 2014 and 2015 since it is in my backyard. 2014 will be hydration/nutrition testing and 2015 I age up and will give it another shot at Kona.

Now that I know it's not fitness and/or heat that causes my cramping I'll be working to get it figured out.

2013-06-27 10:27 AM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Chicago
I'm 90% that I'm going to do CDA again next year. After this last trip the wife and I realized that we really wanted to move back to CDA, so if I can really get my stuff together I might even be able to save on airfair next time around by just moving back prior to the event. My wife had a blast and want to volunteer next year as well as participate within 3 years. Pretty great experience for the family all around.

Great day and experience, and really hard to communicate the experience to folks who have not done one of these events, anyone else have that experience?

2013-06-27 10:36 AM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
Originally posted by Skipjack_50

Great day and experience, and really hard to communicate the experience to folks who have not done one of these events, anyone else have that experience?

I agree with this "... hard to communicate the experience to folks who have not done one of these events..." we got there on Thursday and left on Tuesday we had a great week! My wife wants to volunteer at IM Boulder next year, we live 12 miles from Boulder. We left our kids at home for IMCDA but my wife said she would take the kids next time as it was such a great place.

I love the whole experience of CDA, the locals, the race, the volunteers, other athletes, what a day, what a place, what a great location for IM!
2013-06-27 1:04 PM
in reply to: bradaskins

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
I enjoyed following this thread this year. I've signed up for CdA for 2014, so I'm looking forward to it! This will be my second go at the IM distance. Let the games begin!
2013-06-27 3:09 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by kmac1346

I enjoyed following this thread this year. I've signed up for CdA for 2014, so I'm looking forward to it! This will be my second go at the IM distance. Let the games begin!

Awesome! Good luck in all your training, this year was my second go at the IM distance, same race, and like me, I am sure you will have success!

How's everyone feeling? I am dying to get out and can't take sitting around anymore! I have little to no soreness left anymore, going to see about a light jog after work today and see what's what with my body. It doesn't even bother me to go up and down stairs anymore, this can't be normal can it?
2013-06-27 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

Awesome! Good luck in all your training, this year was my second go at the IM distance, same race, and like me, I am sure you will have success!

How's everyone feeling? I am dying to get out and can't take sitting around anymore! I have little to no soreness left anymore, going to see about a light jog after work today and see what's what with my body. It doesn't even bother me to go up and down stairs anymore, this can't be normal can it?

I'm pretty much the same - quads still a bit sore but nothing significant. The Black Diamond 1/2 is about 12 weeks out from now, so I may use next week to reset/retest FTP and my run paces and jump right into a plan for that one.

2013-06-27 4:36 PM

User image

Spokane

IT bands and quads are sore here. I swam for about 200 yards yesterday to get a little fresh blood in my body. I walked the dog today and jogged him back to the house which was maybe .2 of a mile just to see if it hurt to land. I'm going to go for a bike ride this weekend really light one.
2013-06-27 4:43 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
My wife said she would leave me if I dont find more time for her and the family .....so....... I will hold of asking for a year or so. Definate a volunteer for Cda 2014. My buddy is signing up so I will train with him so I dont go totally crazy in IM Tri withdrawl
2013-06-27 5:00 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Regular
Originally posted by cnsegura

I'm pretty much the same - quads still a bit sore but nothing significant. The Black Diamond 1/2 is about 12 weeks out from now, so I may use next week to reset/retest FTP and my run paces and jump right into a plan for that one.

My knees are bothering me still. I did upper body and core workout today. I'll ride my roadie to work tomorrow since my bus pass expires today. I will start up swimming again probably the week after the 4th.

I would like to do more races this year but the family is more important than the races. I am planning on running a local HM this fall so I think in about 2 weeks will look into a running specific plan to get that rolling. The wife is ok with that as it won't take up too much time.
2013-06-27 5:01 PM
in reply to: MRGIBBS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Not too sore here. I have some crazy scabs on my back where the seems of my kit rubbed., but other than that I feel good also. Doing 30 on the trainer tonight while I watch a movie. I would have loved to get outside, but the storms are here in Michigan now so no getting outside this afternoon. I hope everyone else who had long drives made it home safe. The storms that hit us Tuesday night were crazy in ND. Hail, winds and a ton of rain.
2013-06-27 6:41 PM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Chicago
same boat here, dont feel terribly sore now but I did get a massage the day after the event (fathers day gift from my wife) and that helped a ton. When the therapist started working my IT bands I was almost in tears..

Only other race I have is the Chicago Triathlon, doing the Oly distance which is fitting since it's the only other triathlon experiece I have outside of IM CDA.

I am starting to get fidgity however..thinking I'll go out for a run and swim this weekend but do need to start looking to Oly specific training programs since Chicago is coming up in a few months.

2013-06-28 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I am finally back home in Denver and have a computer to type on. CDA was amazing and everything I was hoping for.

I finished in 14:03, which was a 1 hr 53 min PR from IMTX in 2011. Go me! The fun part was that I ran into my training buddy at mile 17 and he was having a *major* pity party. I made him run/walk with me and we did the rest of the race together. Perfect. My coach was also out there and she got on Lakeshore Drive (in a car) and was stalking us, yelling at us to run more. Annoying but funny.

The hilarious (in a really twisted way) thing about my race was that I BROKE A TOE on the swim. After the first loop, some guy's heel got in the way of my foot on the beach and I smacked it. I got back in the water thinking "hmm, that hurts a bit, good thing the water is cold". It went numb and I didn't think about it until I put my running shoes on, but even then it was more of a "hey, I remember I did something to my toe 8 hrs ago". It hurt a bit for a few miles and then I didn't think of it again until after the race. I took off my shoe and my 4th toe was a purple grape. Oops.

I'm so wanting to go and do another one. Totally on board for Boulder since I'm a CO native and I live in Denver. I can't turn it down.
2013-06-28 10:19 AM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
Broken toe?! WOW you are an Ironman!!! Congratulations on your time.

I also PR at IMCDA taking off 1:14 from IMTX in '12, I did 13:46.

Erin we'll have to do some training for IM Boulder, I'm in, I already starting a thread on BT :-)
2013-06-28 1:15 PM
in reply to: bradaskins

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Went for an easy run last night, 2.8 miles. Felt alright until I started going down a small hill, then I could feel it! Definitely need some more down time when it comes to running but think a little pool time would be ideal for loosening things up. I don't even want to look at my bike seat!
2013-06-28 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by smithe68 Went for an easy run last night, 2.8 miles. Felt alright until I started going down a small hill, then I could feel it! Definitely need some more down time when it comes to running but think a little pool time would be ideal for loosening things up. I don't even want to look at my bike seat!

That, literally, almost made me spit out my drink!  I usually feel the same way for a week or two after an IM race.  We'll see if it's the same next year...signed up for IMCDA 2014.

2013-06-28 9:05 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Chicago
Yep. I'll be picking my bike back up tomorrow here in Chicago. I really dont even want to see that pig but am getting some jitters about not doing anything so I think this weekend a short open water swim and bike ride is in the cards.

Made it official by signing up for CDA again. Call me crazy but I'm really looking forward to attacking that coarse after getting a understanding of it this year.

On a related post race note I've started to lose a toenail from the race..have never had that experience before. Never had any toe issues in training but I noticed it within the first 5 miles of the marathon that my middle toe was really bugging me on the run..continued all the way through and now the nail is coming off..

2013-06-30 1:43 PM

User image

Spokane
Went for a hour bike ride today, kept the intensity super low... for a while . Then i TT'd for a good 10 mins, then kept the rest at 70%. I was getting a really bad headache while doing the TT.
2013-06-30 11:31 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Can't believe how we lucked out on the weather last weekend.  Was in Spokane today watching my son's Hoopfest games in 90 degree heat - I was drained after four hours - it will be over 100 the next few days.  I would have really struggled if we had these temps during the race.
2013-06-30 11:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Originally posted by Flyboy

Originally posted by smithe68 Went for an easy run last night, 2.8 miles. Felt alright until I started going down a small hill, then I could feel it! Definitely need some more down time when it comes to running but think a little pool time would be ideal for loosening things up. I don't even want to look at my bike seat!

That, literally, almost made me spit out my drink!  I usually feel the same way for a week or two after an IM race.  We'll see if it's the same next year...signed up for IMCDA 2014.

That's great Stan!  Looking forward to following you in '14!!!
2013-07-01 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Flyboy

Awesome, I will definitely be tracking and I am sure I will be on the 2014 thread some as well as joining in for some runs, rides or swims for the heck of it.
2013-07-02 11:11 AM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
I ran three miles at tempo speed two days ago and legs felt great. Swam 1 mile OWS yesterday and felt great. I am ready to try and keep some sort of a base. I will jump back on this blog site this winter to read about everyone. I might sign up for the medical Tent as a volunteer instead of a run station. Maybe I can have a special cooler for everyone too.

2013-07-02 8:30 PM
in reply to: MRGIBBS

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
How long do the post-race blues last? I already have a race, Worlds 70.3 in ten weeks, back in training today (I did SBR last week in a recovery pace). All I do is work, train, and sleep :\
2013-07-05 5:02 PM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by GatorDeb

How long do the post-race blues last? I already have a race, Worlds 70.3 in ten weeks, back in training today (I did SBR last week in a recovery pace). All I do is work, train, and sleep :

Not sure but I am just now starting to feel over them now that I am back into some training and have signed up for a race on July 20th.

On a different note, anyone else disappointed in the lack of availability of the finisher jacket?

(Finisher.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Finisher.jpg (26KB - 36 downloads)
2013-07-05 9:56 PM

New user
Bonney Lake
The jackets are nice and sold quick. I am luck that I can swing between the MED and LG. I ended up with the LG only because there was no mens MED left. I was there at about 9am to. Stuff sold fast this year. However I was a little upset they did not have a hoodie this year. The black hoodie last year was nice and I wore it out. Would have loved another one.

My post race blues dd not last long either. I did not have a great race this year once I was off my bike. I am doing Canada so I have been driven to improve a little. I did a recover week and am back at it looking to improve. Still not real sure what went wrong on race day but that's the breaks of the race. You can do an Ironman numerous times and one day it just does not pan out. Good luck everyone.
2013-07-06 10:40 AM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by GatorDeb

How long do the post-race blues last? I already have a race, Worlds 70.3 in ten weeks, back in training today (I did SBR last week in a recovery pace). All I do is work, train, and sleep :

Not sure but I am just now starting to feel over them now that I am back into some training and have signed up for a race on July 20th.

On a different note, anyone else disappointed in the lack of availability of the finisher jacket?

I figured I'd try to get one online instead of spending another 20-30 dollars in gas to drive back over. Guess they don't sell them online?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57