General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Buckeye Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-07-16 12:17 AM

User image

Munhall, Pa
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge
I'm in for the HIM, I hear this is a well ran race. I've done HFP events in the past and they do a good job. Anyone else out there signed up or done it before? Looking for course intel and any information folks may have. 

2012-07-17 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4312961

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge

I'm in!

I remember doing it as an Oly and I thought the course was hilly, but that was before I had done any real hills in other races.

I recall the run being pretty pleasant along a path next to a river. I think it had a lot of shade because it wasn't a road where all the trees had been bulldozed back from the road.

2012-07-18 7:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
I'm in for the HIM also, going to be my first so it should be interesting! I rode the course a few weeks back and below are the mental notes I took. If you follow along the course map from the HFP site you might get a good idea of the areas I am referring to! I posted this from my phone so the formatting is terrible and may all run together!.....................Ride was in the Great Buckeye course. It was good to experience the course and get an idea of what direction to go. Also was able to make a few mental notes along the way to help with the race. ............1. 1st 12 miles of the course suck! Just about the entire section along Old Columbus Rd is a climb, wasn't steep but steady. 1st lap stayed around 17-18mph but 2nd lap dropped down to 16 and had difficulties maintaining an even spin. The wind coming out of the northeast didnt help either. .........2. At SR54 is the 1st chance at downhill, road also gets alittle rough but nothing terrible................ 3. After turning onto McConkey Rd and reaching mile 12 is the best time to push, there are a couple of turns that had to be slowed down for but hopefully during the race these will be patrolled and will not have to slow down. .................4. The hill going into Catawba sucks! My motivation was to get past the haunted house as fast as possible. ....................5. After Catawba the fun begins. Everything is downhill for the next 3 miles, need to be carefull though about 1 mile out, couple of sharp curves going downhill, 1st lap I braked, 2nd lap no brake. ...................6. Need to be carefull of Hidden Valley Farms on Neer Rd, almost puts you into relaxation mode, then of course it snaps you out of it when you have to climb out of the valley, 2 climbs and then the turn around........................ 7. After turning onto Mahar Rd the last of the climb begins, nothing major but still enough to get the HR up ...."..................8. The good part about the climbs on Mahar is that when the rd turns to the left it is all downhill, maintained 22-23mph with a low HR for the last 6 miles back to the turn around ....................Total Climb 2200ft
2012-07-21 2:23 PM

User image

Due to the drought here in Indiana, a couple of our races this month have been cancelled due to low water levels or modified due to algae. Any chance of that happening at Buck Creek? I signed up for the HIM long ago and was curious as to the condition of the swim.

Alice - Will you and your family be camping? I think I saw your hubby's name on the race list too so I wasn't sure what you'd do with your kiddos during that time. It'll be nice to see you again. Our family still talks about your kids and a couple of the funny things they said when you were our camping neighbors at Muncie.

Matt - Although I read your course preview in your log, I'll tell you thanks for sharing it again.

Tony - I hopped on your blog and see you have IMAZ in November. Exciting! Hope to meet you at Buck Creek.
2012-07-23 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4323393

User image

New user

Dayton

I am doing the half as well.  I don't think there should be any problems with the swim.  Most of the problems have been in shallow and small lakes.  CJ Brown reservoir is about 20-30 feet deep in the majority of it's area, particularly in the end where the swim takes place. 

Grand Lake St. Mary,in contrast, is pretty much 5-6 feet deep throughout. 

The water temperature as of July 15 was a little over 78 all the way down to 20 feet..

Also, just a couple warnings about the bike course, based on last year:

1)  the intersection of Mahar and Old Columbus, can get a bit crazy,  The short course people will be leaving on the same roads we are riding, combined with a lot of bike traffic going in different directions.  I remember getting caught behind a line of cars on my way back into the park.

2) The downhills just after the bottle exchange were a bit dicey - it was downhill with poor road surface, gravel and some turns.  Not sure if the road surface has been improved.

2012-07-25 8:30 AM

User image

Thanks for the info, Chris! Every bit of information helps.

2012-07-25 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)

I'm going also, doing the sprint.

2012-07-31 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Not sure if it's because tomorrow is 8-1 or because I reserved my campsite, but I just had a holy crap moment! Am I ready for this? The next 26 days are going to be rough
2012-08-01 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
I am in for half. Did it last year and I want to see if I can improve my time. 
2012-08-05 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4340309

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio

mambos - 2012-07-31 10:04 PM Not sure if it's because tomorrow is 8-1 or because I reserved my campsite, but I just had a holy crap moment! Am I ready for this? The next 26 days are going to be rough

Ditto!!

2012-08-07 12:27 PM

I'm in for the mini-tri, however I have a couple bulging discs in my neck that are painful, so I may only aquabike or step down to the sprint...haven't decided.

2012-08-08 2:33 PM

Let me ask this - do some people walk the run course in races? If so, I might consider doing the full tri and walking the run course. I don't want to be the person holding up the volunteers because I had to walk instead of run...
2012-08-09 8:07 PM
in reply to: #4353433

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
fitnesskelly - 2012-08-08 3:33 PM Let me ask this - do some people walk the run course in races? If so, I might consider doing the full tri and walking the run course. I don't want to be the person holding up the volunteers because I had to walk instead of run...
I think it is OK to walk the run course, As long as you meet the cut-off times. 
2012-08-20 8:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Rode the course on Saturday. Mahr Rd and Neer Rd just had the tar and chip resurfacing done. They were not rideable. Let's hope they come up with an alternate route. I was able to bypass Neer Rd and continued on Vernon-Asbury Rd all the way back to Old Columbus.
2012-08-20 9:00 PM
in reply to: #4372370

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
DLaw - 2012-08-20 9:48 PMRode the course on Saturday. Mahr Rd and Neer Rd just had the tar and chip resurfacing done. They were not rideable. Let's hope they come up with an alternate route. I was able to bypass Neer Rd and continued on Vernon-Asbury Rd all the way back to Old Columbus.
I rode the course on Sunday and was disappointed to come across this section. I had been looking forward to coming down Mahar Rd because it had been so fast when I rode it back in July. Is changing the course an option? I had just figured we would have to deal with what we had. Either way, good luck to everyone!
2012-08-21 7:59 AM

User image

Xenia

I'm in for the HIM.  What exactly is the issue with that resurfacing i.e. bumpy, a mess of tar, etc.?  Do you guys think this is dangerous, result in a flat, etc.?

David

2012-08-21 9:11 AM

User image

Good question, David.

Another question for you guys - Reading past race reports - the swim was wetsuit legal. What's the chances it'll be this year? We've had such funky weather - so hot in July and now cooler in August. I know our lakes in Indiana have cooled significantly in the last week as we've had mid 40s to high 60s in the nights. Didn't know if you, Dan, or Matt had gotten in the water.
2012-08-21 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4372724

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
plasticman - 2012-08-21 8:59 AM

I'm in for the HIM.  What exactly is the issue with that resurfacing i.e. bumpy, a mess of tar, etc.?  Do you guys think this is dangerous, result in a flat, etc.?

David

it's basically like riding on a gravel road! I found this description on Wiki, it may be a little too much info but.........."Chip seal is a pavement surface treatment that combines one or more layer(s) of asphalt with one or more layer(s) of fine aggregate. In the United States, chip seals are typically used on rural roads carrying lower traffic volumes, and the process is often referred to as "asphaltic surface treatment". 1]"......... I read a little more down and found this quote "The rough surface causes noticeable increases in vibration and rolling resistance for bicyclists, and increased tire wear in all types of tires.".....I recommend being very cautious on this stretch! As for the water temp I estimated it to be around 76 but that is just a guess! The army engineers posted a reading of 79.5 on 8-11-2012. I think it will be wetsuit legal.
2012-08-21 12:21 PM

User image

Thanks for that VERY thorough explanation, Matt!

2012-08-21 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4373208

User image

Veteran
This does not sound good. I know exactly what it is.  I have some local roads paved this way and I try to avoid them on my rides. How long is the newly paved road? Did someone contacted HFP about possible route change?
2012-08-21 1:21 PM

User image

Xenia

Triq, I sent them an email to enlighten them about the road conditions.  Nothing back yet.  I think we are all feeling the same...we are tough enough to do the race but would rather minimize the risk.  I know that is how I am thinking.  I also don't want to damage my bike. 

On the wetsuit question...I would be very surprised if this race were not wetsuit legal.  The overnight temps have really dropped the lake temp and I was in the lake on Sunday and it was cool....perfect wetsuit conditions. 

Should I hear something I'll post it ASAP.

David

Edited by plasticman 2012-08-21 1:22 PM

2012-08-21 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4373453

User image

Veteran
plasticman - 2012-08-21 2:21 PM

Triq, I sent them an email to enlighten them about the road conditions.  Nothing back yet.  I think we are all feeling the same...we are tough enough to do the race but would rather minimize the risk.  I know that is how I am thinking.  I also don't want to damage my bike. 

Thanks, David!

I think they should go out to mark arrows pointing the way in advance, I hope they will think about changing the route, but if not... Well, I raced in worse conditions )) still alive 

2012-08-21 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4373453

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)

Thanks for the feedback on the wetsuit/cooler lake temps.

With these 60 degrees mornings I was thinking the same thing until I saw 90's this weekend.... never fails!

Good luck everyone - see you Sunday!

2012-08-22 6:28 AM

User image

Like David, I also notified HFP and I got this response this morning:

"Thanks for the heads up! We are aware and working to change our course. However, we will let you know if anything changes.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Team
HFP Racing
PO Box 251
Alexandria, Ohio 43001
www.hfpracing.com

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. - 1 Timothy 4:8"

I've only raced an HFP event once, at Maumee Bay in June, but I was impressed with the level of professionalism and care so I'm sure they'll do right by us athletes in this race.

2012-08-22 7:50 AM

User image

Xenia

I got the same reply and I am sure that HFP will do their best.  I was giving some consideration to which wheelset I would ride:  my 23mm racing set or my 25mm training set.  The latter is so much smoother on rough roads.  Either way, I am charging ahead and counting on HFP to do whats best.

This is probably my last post so I wish everyone good luck, safe race, and no bonks!

David

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Buckeye Challenge Rss Feed  

of 3