Dallas Athletes Racing
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 51s
Overall Rank = 17/109
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/21
Pre-race routine:

Going into this race I didn't have any expectations. I was just going to do it because Jonny didn't want to drive up there alone, and I had signed up. Originally I was signed up for the Olympic, but due to my injury I knew I wasn't going to make that distance. So I downgraded to the Sprint.

I had only been running 3 weeks since my calf injury, and roughly 10 miles a week. My cycling was so-so. Thus, no expectations. I decided my race plan would be BALLS TO THE WALL. Race hard. Race fast. Screw pacing. Run till I get a side cramp and I can't run anymore.

Woke up super early (4:00 AM) and drove to the race site.

Hung out with other Triple Threat ladies in the water chatting before our race started. The X-50 and the Olympic distances went before us. We started our race around 7:45 AM.
Swim
  • 05m 22s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

We started on the beach and ran in. Exciting. Thank goodness the beach was sandy and not rocky.

I started in the front row and in the center. I wanted to go left, but it was crowded on that side. The center was empty. Fine.

Ran in and then dove in the water and started swimming.

Pretty uneventful swim. No one hit me. Thank you ladies (all of the ladies started together in the same wave)! The kayaks were VERY CLOSE to the swim buoy's. Which was pretty annoying. I wanted to swing out wide, but I had to make sure not to hit a kayak. I appreciate them wanting us to be safe, but dang, give us some room to spread out.

Rounded the last buoy and headed in. Ran into one guy who was from the wave in front of us. WOW. OK. I mean, seriously, they put a lot of time between each wave. Too bad I couldn't give him a business card for some swim coaching. ;)

Swam to the finish, got out and ran.

PS- the swim was SHORT. I can't even keep that speed on 100 yards in the pool! Very short swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

2nd out of 21 in my AG. Which is great for me!

We had a LONG RUN from the beach to the transition. I ran up, slipped on my flip flops, got my feet rinsed off and kept running. I was passing ladies as I ran up the path.
Bike
  • 54m 27s
  • 18 miles
  • 19.83 mile/hr
Comments:

So my average from the timing company was 19.4. Not sure why it is showing higher here.

My goal for the bike was to ride fast and hard. Keep high cadence up the hills and to just keep pushing hard. Worked!

Pretty uneventful bike, except for the idiot who passed me on my right. Oh, don't worry, I said something, "REALLY? You are passing me on the RIGHT! Come on!". He waved his hand like he couldn't pass me on the left. I then replied, "There isn't even a car coming, you could have passed me on the left." Then he rode off.

I passed him and when I did he was sitting on the shoulder the exact same spot I was, that annoyed him. Hum.

It took him a long time to pass me back.

While on the bike I was keeping an eye on ladies in my AG so I could try to place. I saw a couple of ladies who were 37 and 38 pass me. Yeah, it wasn't until later that I was told that I have gone up an AG and they were not in it. Ha! I am so use to the 35-39 AG and I am still 39, but since I'm 40 by the end of the year, I'm now in the 40-44 AG. Ugh.

Otherwise, I'm pleased with my average. It is a hilly course out there, and my cycling hasn't been great. My body was trained to go slow for IMTX, and I haven't ridden too much since then.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

OK, this one I ended up 7 out of 21. Not as good, but I did try to go fast!
Run
  • 28m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This is always where I lose numerous spots. They didn't give a rank on the race results, and my time is so blah, it is hard to count my age group rank.

Not too bad of a run considering I am not trained to run fast. Heck, I haven't hardly been running at all. My goal was to run until I got a side cramp. The course has some inclines and some slight downhill sections. I started to walk a couple of times, just because I was sick of running uphill. I would then remind myself that I didn't have a side cramp and to keep pushing.

Post race
Warm down:

Waited for Triple Threat team members to finish. Then I got some food, and went back to transition to change shoes and clothes (I was going to wait a long time for Jonny to finish).

When I was walking back, Denise told me I placed 3rd in our AG! Woo-Hoo! Really? The funny thing is that I saw her right behind me the whole race, and my goal was to keep her from passing me. Just used it as motivation. It was after the race I was told we are in the same AG... and guess what... she came in 4th! I only beat her by 2 minutes. My swim saved me, because on the bike and run she and I were pretty much the same speed.

I got my award, then I went to wait for Jonny to finish the X-50.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a sucky runner. Ha! Injuring my calf July 2nd, and then not running for a month didn't help either. But hey, I'll take my AG placing. Certainly a great pick-me-up after sucking so hard at IMTX. Reminded me that I don't completely suck at triathlons! I am really made for short distances.

Event comments:

Overall a great race!

Last updated: 2012-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:22 | 500 meters | 01m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/21
Overall: 21/109
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:27 | 18 miles | 19.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 21/109
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:20 | 03.11 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/109
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-19 9:04 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Disco Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-07-19 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4319643

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon - Sprint Course

Um, apparently, NOT SO SUCKY runner at all, even gimped!

CONGRATULATIONS on hittin' the podium!

2012-07-19 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4319771

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon - Sprint Course

Nice - 3rd place!

I like your trick of running until you get a side cramp.   I am going to use that...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed