United States
Walker Area Community Center
80F / 27C
Total Time = 1h 44m 6s
Overall Rank = 196/296
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 45/55
Pre-race routine:

First time staying in a hotel for a race, and first race in 2 year so I was sure I would forget something, some how I didn't. Hotel was a mile from site, race has a late start time (9am). Went down to transition at 7am to let my parents and son who made the trip with me get in some extra sleep. Got all set up, ran in to the few people I knew were doing the race and back to the hotel to round up the support crew.
Event warmup:

just a quick swim to make sure goggles and wet suit were in order.
Swim
  • 08m 55s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

good swim for me, I have swam about two times this year so I can't expect much. first 100 yds were rough, and but then was able to stay in my groove for most of the race. Got smoked in the face by someone in the wave infront of me just before the finish, that hurt and I took in some waer that hauted my for much of the race. Overall I was pleased with this.
What would you do differently?:

train.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

for some reason tranitions have always gone well for me and this was much the same. outside of a couple of dry heave to get that water out it was normal. wet suit was off with no issues, getting socks on with wet feet always takes the most time but I can't go without socks.
I was REALLY winded after the swim, so I took some time trying to catch my breath.

going sockless would be the biggest time gain i could get
Bike
  • 59m
  • 17 miles
  • 17.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Most of the little training I did do for this was on the bike. Really wanted to complete in 1 hour. I was really gassed after the swim and not feeling well, it took me almost 4 miles before I felt like I caught my breath and was feeling better. which was just in time for the hills, so I struggled on the first half, I think my average was 14.x, I was hoping it would be 16 and I could pull that up to 17 by the end. I guy I know doing the race passed me on a hybrid, call me a snob but I wasn't going to let him beat me. He clearly is in better shape than me but I was sure I was better on the bike. He became a great "rabbit" and when I caught him we chatted a little and then pushed each other. I didn't check my speed I just kept hammering. when I pulled in to T2 my dad yelled I was right at an hour so I was thrilled. Come to find out it was 59 min, that was even better!

I think I got the most out of this, I was hurting at the start and that put me in a hole. I added clip on aero bars for this race, those were really nice, got the most out of the downhills which is where I need to make my hay at my size.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I was really hurting now, I pushed hard on the bike so I knew I would be paying for it on the run. But I also know I never run fast (was hoping for 11:15pace) so figured it couldn't get much worse even if i had to walk it all!
finished my water bottle off as it was starting to get hot, talked with the fam a little, went over and high 5 the kid, so wasn't trying to save a lot of time here.

Be in better shape and like to run so I wouldn't try to delay starting it!
Run
  • 33m 5s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal for race was 1:45:xx. I knew I was ahead of pace after a solid swim and bike (for me) and I am not sure it was a good thing that I knew this. I walked way more than I wanted to, but simply had too because I was just redlined. I was good at keeping them short breaks and only on up hills but felt like I was dying and doing 20 min/miles. I was actually very suprised it was under 12 mins I was walking so much. Only thing that really kept pushing me was my wife's friend was doing his first tri, I wanted to beat him and I didn't see him until after the turn around, that pushed me to keep going so I wouldn't be run down.

simply need to run more and get faster. My run times are almost a joke, that will help my fitness level more as which isn't doing me any favors right now. I am better than I was 3-4 weeks ago but now need to keep it going.
Post race
Warm down:

passed out on the beach with my son/swam a little with him.

Event comments:

I really liked this race, there are not a lot of frills but it ran smooth. they did struggle to get the swim course set up. with a 9am start time I would have thought there would have been plenty of time for that. After race food wasn't anything special, I don't think there was metals, but I might have missed that. the entry fee is cheap so I would rather have that then another finisher metal. Had mile markers on bike which I hadn't seen before but none on the run.

Last updated: 2012-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:55 | 440 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 0/296
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Narrow Rectangle, counter clockwise. Rope with Noodles lined the course
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:00 | 17 miles | 17.29 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Rectangle, shoulder of highway for first half, into wind, couple of decent hills. 2nd half is paved bike trail, flat/shaded/fast
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:05 | 02.8 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back, first half seemed up hill.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-29 9:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
Subject: Chase the Police Triathlon

2012-07-29 10:48 PM
in reply to: #4336522

User image

Subject: RE: Chase the Police Triathlon
Well done. Glad to hear Ralph and Brenda were there for moral support.
2012-07-30 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4336596

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job! I like your strategy of pushing yourself so you can beat certain people - that helps! 
2012-07-30 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4336522

User image

Sounds like you had fun. A "rabbit" can be a nice incentive. I finally ran a race sockless a couple of weeks ago and it definitely helped. Of course, you want to try it well in advance in case it's a bad idea so any blisters won't interfere with your race. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chase the Police Triathlon Rss Feed