BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » Sarah Groff's Embarrassing Quote... Rss Feed  
Moderators: jneugeba, IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-05 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Subject: Sarah Groff's Embarrassing Quote...

Here's the quote from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's front page sports section article. Apparently Sarah accidentally drove over another athlete that had crashed.  Her quote about the incident is pretty unbelievable.  Makes me so proud that she represents our country.....

"I rode over her torso," Groff said. "It was the most insane thing that's ever happened to me, so YouTube, put it up, please. I'm really sorry she crashed, of course, but it was epic."

2012-08-05 6:28 PM
in reply to: #4347938

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Subject: RE: Sarah Groff's Embarrassing Quote...
2012-08-05 6:29 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
To me, it depends on whether she had already spoken to the person she ran over and knew them to be ok. If she made the comment knowing that the person wasn't hurt (I don't know if she was or not), then no harm done, IMO.

Crashes are part of racing and its not like she ran over her on purpose.
2012-08-06 7:02 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
I saw it when it happened and it looked just like she said. The other rider was up and riding before too long. I'm not sure when she made the comment but I think she saw her at the finish.

Must have some hard abs to take that. I'd think that lady could go on commercials for P90X now.
2012-08-06 9:25 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I don't see this as an issue at all. Every athlete who races draft legal events knows that crashes are a possibility; when a crash happens near you, your only goal is to try to keep the rubber side down and not take out anyone else in doing so. These things happen in the blink of an eye and the fact that she didn't crash means that she likely at least partially bunny hopped the other athlete in order to stay upright.

Shane
2012-08-06 10:26 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Agree with Shane.  Why is this embarrassing? She rode over a woman's torso and kept the rubber side down.  That is pretty darn epic if you ask me.

2012-08-06 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4348884

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

uhcoog - 2012-08-06 11:26 AM Agree with Shane.  Why is this embarrassing? She rode over a woman's torso and kept the rubber side down.  That is pretty darn epic if you ask me.

Yeah, I'm not sure the point of this thread. I saw what I think might be this incident when a rider went down and another rider rode over her or bunny hopped her. The motorcycle camera was right behind them and the cameraman lowered the lens for a second and shot the road surface before reframing the shot on the downed rider just catching the rear wheel of the other cyclist landing on the ground just past the downed rider. I remember thinking it would have been an awesome shot if he captured the whole thing.

2012-08-07 2:24 AM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin

I'm aware that crashes happen and people get injured. I also know that draft-legal races require pretty incredible technical abilities.  Finally,  I realize she did not do this on purpose and did not intend to injure anyone.  However,  her obvious excitement about the situation and her goal in seeking attention from it on You Tube of all places was pretty amazing to me.  It made her come across as not too bright or mature really, but perhaps not everyone sees it this way.  It just strikes me as a comment that a 12 year-old on the playground might make, rather than a world-class athlete that is representing her country on an international level. 

2012-08-07 1:00 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

I can't find the video!!!!

2012-08-07 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4350444

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
SpottedCow - 2012-08-07 4:24 AM

I'm aware that crashes happen and people get injured. I also know that draft-legal races require pretty incredible technical abilities.  Finally,  I realize she did not do this on purpose and did not intend to injure anyone.  However,  her obvious excitement about the situation and her goal in seeking attention from it on You Tube of all places was pretty amazing to me.  It made her come across as not too bright or mature really, but perhaps not everyone sees it this way.  It just strikes me as a comment that a 12 year-old on the playground might make, rather than a world-class athlete that is representing her country on an international level. 

I expect that her excitement probably came about because she just finished fourth on the biggest stage for elite triathletes after almost being crashed out. In the excitement and heat of the moment in a post-race interview, perhaps she said things that she would not have if she had time to reflect on her comments but to judge her as not bright or mature is really harsh IMO.

Further, I can pretty much guarantee that the athlete she ran over is much happier that she was riden over than crashed upon. First, you never want to be responsible for taking out another athlete and second, it hurts a whole lot less to have someone ride over you than it does to have someone and their bike land on top of you.

Shane
2012-08-14 6:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I completely understand how my quote can seem incredibly callous and insensitive; I would probably judge someone equally harshly if I were to come across something similar.  If the athlete that I had to jump over in the race were harmed in any way by my action, I would treat the situation with the appropriate gravity.  

In the midst of the race, I had two courses of action: ride over the crashed athlete or try to veer over her.  Had I picked the second option, I would have harmed her and myself in the process; anyone familiar with bike racing would really this to be the case.  In the process, what was required was a very high level of bike handling skills that I've never displayed in my life and may never display again. 

I recognize that the way that I addressed the situation was crass and disrespectful; I pride myself on trying to conduct myself with the highest possible level of sportsmanship and class in competition and my comments are not reflective of that.  I am proud to represent my sport and my country and I apologize profusely if I have embarrassed myself and my my fellow Americans with my comments.  WHen I spoke, I was attempting to bring levity to the heartbreak of finishing fourth in the Olympic Games and falling short of my goal of bringing home a medal for my country; I meant no disrespect to my fellow competitors, whom I respect deeply.

Thank you for your candor.  I welcome any criticism, especially if it is justified, and can only hope that my explanation makes puts the situation into perspective a bit.

Best,

Sarah

2012-08-14 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4363441

User image

Expert
sgroff - 2012-08-14 6:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I completely understand how my quote can seem incredibly callous and insensitive; I would probably judge someone equally harshly if I were to come across something similar.  If the athlete that I had to jump over in the race were harmed in any way by my action, I would treat the situation with the appropriate gravity.  

In the midst of the race, I had two courses of action: ride over the crashed athlete or try to veer over her.  Had I picked the second option, I would have harmed her and myself in the process; anyone familiar with bike racing would really this to be the case.  In the process, what was required was a very high level of bike handling skills that I've never displayed in my life and may never display again. 

I recognize that the way that I addressed the situation was crass and disrespectful; I pride myself on trying to conduct myself with the highest possible level of sportsmanship and class in competition and my comments are not reflective of that.  I am proud to represent my sport and my country and I apologize profusely if I have embarrassed myself and my my fellow Americans with my comments.  WHen I spoke, I was attempting to bring levity to the heartbreak of finishing fourth in the Olympic Games and falling short of my goal of bringing home a medal for my country; I meant no disrespect to my fellow competitors, whom I respect deeply.

Thank you for your candor.  I welcome any criticism, especially if it is justified, and can only hope that my explanation makes puts the situation into perspective a bit.

Best,

Sarah

I think you're awesome, and I hope you stay around BT...that is all.

Edited by RushTogether 2012-08-14 6:32 PM
2012-08-14 9:00 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
sgroff - 2012-08-14 6:00 PM

Hi everyone,

Best,

Sarah

Glad you had a chance to set the record straight and btw, congrats on making it to the Olympics.  Some on a very few get to do.  Good luck in the future!

2012-08-14 10:32 PM

User image

Elite
sgroff - 2012-08-14 5:00 PM

Hi everyone,

Best,

Sarah

Obviously people apologize for what they feel the should. If some feel the comments were insensitive and you want to own that... good on you.

I see nothing wrong. Nothing that has not happened a million times. Even when out with buddies... something spectacular happens... first question, Dude, are you alright?... if the answer is "yes"... then game on! Holy cow, you should have seen you, the face you made, he ran right over you, tell me you got that on video... I mean what? That is just normal every day stuff. Heck, remember the video that went viral of the African game animal blasting that guy off the bike... he was OK, the video was EPIC!

Tough break in the race. I wish you could have had ten more seconds... then again Phelps wishes he would have just had a hundredth... Be proud of your self. We are.

Edited by powerman 2012-08-14 10:34 PM
2012-08-15 3:11 AM

User image

Melon Presser
sgroff - 2012-08-15 7:00 AM

Hi everyone,

Best,

Sarah

This, folks, is what a champion in spirit, body, and among other humans looks like.

Congratulations, Sarah, and thank you for representing the U.S.A. so well in the Olympics and in your manner as well.

2012-08-15 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
One of the reasons I <3 BT

2012-08-15 2:41 PM

User image

As a Brit on the outside looking in I can tell you that it was shown on the news over here along with comments about what a world class bit of handling it was in a sport that is often criticised for its competitors not having the greatest bike handling skills.

Was a shame there were so many crashes on that section of the course - if anyone should be embarrassed I think it's us Brits for allowing whatever it was there to be there - 5/6 crashed and could have cost some medals.

Best finish to an Olympic event of the whole games I reckon - shame (for us) our Helen finished out of the medals.

2012-08-26 9:40 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
sgroff - 2012-08-14 5:00 PM

Hi everyone,

Best,

Sarah

nice.
New Thread
BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » Sarah Groff's Embarrassing Quote... Rss Feed