General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Square Lake Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-08-06 5:22 AM

Subject: Square Lake Long Course
Is anyone registered for this event?  Any tips about the event to keep in mind?  This will be my first tri, and I am scared to death (but also completely excited)!  How cold is the water? 

2012-08-06 6:49 AM
in reply to: #4348372

User image

Subject: RE: Square Lake Long Course

sthoresen - 2012-08-06 5:22 AM Is anyone registered for this event?  Any tips about the event to keep in mind?  This will be my first tri, and I am scared to death (but also completely excited)!  How cold is the water? 

Have a look at the race reports. I did it last year. The water was very nice. Not cold or warm. I felt the swim was easy. Seemed like a lot of not strong swimmers out there. If you are a good swimmer, get out front. I'm not a great swimmer, but had to dodge a lot of people who seemed pretty lost.

Lots 'o hills on the bike. Good potential for cross wind in some spots, although it didn't happen on race day.

The run was very hot. If you're not in a big hurry after the bike, consider reapplying sun screen if it's a hot day. You are unprotected from sun and heat on the run.

Have a plan and work it. Because it's your first tri I assume the goal is finishing. Bring a flat kit, know how to use it. Take it easy on the bike to save your legs for the hills on the run.

Have fun! I like this distance because you aren't out of breath and can say encouraging things to other athletes. Good luck!

2012-08-06 7:37 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
The swim was very short last year. I would recommend a wetsuit,but there were many there without. The bike is 2 laps and most of the up hills are close to transition. Meaning the first mile and then the last mile of each lap. Of course there are a few other hills but that is the worst Also stated by Shaun.: run is hot and hilly. Make sure you well hydrate on the bike,and go super easy on the bike. That way you still have some legs left for the runHave fun
2012-08-07 6:42 PM

Excellent information!  Thank you.  I will look for race reports on this race to see what it was like.  I just have to do my best and let the chips land where they may!  Everyone has a first tri and this is if for me.  can't wait even though I am scared out of my wits.
2012-08-07 7:20 PM

Expert
It is one of my favorite courses. The lake is a perfect swimming lake, and the run provides a nice challenge due to the hills. There is a stairs going up to the transition area from the swim that adds a nice touch.

The RD will warn you before the race that there is a turn, a tunnel and a sharp turn on the bike loop (definitely on the short, I think on the long as well). Take it seriously. I've about wiped out on that turn a couple times.

All in all, a good combo of scenery and challenge.
2012-08-08 1:59 PM

User image

Hugo, MN

The tunnel is not on the long course. The long course heads up Olinda to 97. The most harrowing turn on the long course is the transition on to 95 and it's nowhere near as dangerous as the short course turn on to 95. 

For the long course, I sure am happy to hit Olinda instead of staying on 170th (Hwy 4). That stretch of road is brutal right and needs some maintenance. It gets better once you clear the tunnel, but up until that point you'd think some of your bolts might spin their way loose.

Echoing Pete's comments, stay hydrated. The run is more exposed than Chisago, is not flat by any means, and if it's hot it can be quite unpleasant. It's a gorgeous course though and I think one of the most challenging in the area. And who knows, the weather is quite fickle in early September, it could be hot, it could be cold...could be rainy.

See you out there!

2012-08-08 3:38 PM

Tempted to sign up for a training experience for IM Texas. Have TCM a few weeks after however... My swimming and biking have not been where they more than likely should be. Looks like a great event. (Tempting...)
2012-08-08 3:58 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota

As others have said, on a hot day be sure to hydrate well on the bike as the run is completely exposed.  Keep in mind there is only ONE water stop at the halfway point on the bike.   Supplement with your own water, or be sure to stop and get enough at that point.

2012-08-08 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4353637

User image

leapdog - 2012-08-08 3:58 PM

As others have said, on a hot day be sure to hydrate well on the bike as the run is completely exposed.  Keep in mind there is only ONE water stop at the halfway point on the bike.   Supplement with your own water, or be sure to stop and get enough at that point.

Only one water stop and ZERO porta potties on the bike course...

2012-08-08 6:40 PM

Another newbie question.  So at a water stop on the bike, do they refill my water bottle or are there replacement water bottles handed to riders?  Or do I put my own on the table and stop, get off my bike and look for it?  Seems like there could be a lot of crashes at a bike water stop compared to a marathon.  Is there a pull of lane of sorts?  Then again, very likely I will be in last place so it will be a non issue!

I am looking at this not only as a first tri experience but also a replacement for a long run weekend in advance of TCM and Marine Corp marathon in October.

2012-08-08 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4353939

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis

For half and full iron distance races, I have two bottles on my bike - the one in my downtube cage is my primary fuel bottle with a 3-hour fuel mix.  The cage between my aerobars is the one I use for on-course bottle exchanges.  In that cage, I start off with an old beater bottle filled with just plain water or perhaps a light sports-drink mix.  I'll drain that one before the first bottle exchange, and make the swap there...

Below is a copy/paste of a post a I made a couple years ago on this topic:

For your FIRST exchange experience - SLOW DOWN.  If you think you are slow enough, slow down a little bit more 

The exchange station will have a clearly marked "drop" area well before it ... simply toss your empty old/beater bottle there.  SLOW DOWN going into the station itself... 

Identify the volunteer you want the drink from - they should be shouting whether they have "WATER!" or "GATORADE!" - if not, then you yell what which you want and they should point you to someone who has it...

Make eye contact with that volunteer - you will probably be wearing shades, so POINT at them as you approach - make sure they are looking at you.  

They will hold the bottle by the top or bottom - grab it securely and just hold it for now.... Thank the volunteer!!!

Pedal away carefully - watch out for weaving riders, and littered bottles while in the station area.

When safely away from the station, THEN secure the bottle to your cage. 

If you have one of those aerodrink things you need to refill, get away from the main exchange area before you either stop or slow to refill.  

The bottle exchange areas get sketchy and unsafe when riders try to do too much at once in a very short distance.

Cheers, Chris

2012-08-09 10:00 AM

User image

Regular
I'm in for this one.
2012-08-09 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4353979

User image

Master
, Minnesota

Great post.  Thanks.

Hydro - 2012-08-08 7:09 PM

For half and full iron distance races, I have two bottles on my bike - the one in my downtube cage is my primary fuel bottle with a 3-hour fuel mix.  The cage between my aerobars is the one I use for on-course bottle exchanges.  In that cage, I start off with an old beater bottle filled with just plain water or perhaps a light sports-drink mix.  I'll drain that one before the first bottle exchange, and make the swap there...

Below is a copy/paste of a post a I made a couple years ago on this topic:

For your FIRST exchange experience - SLOW DOWN.  If you think you are slow enough, slow down a little bit more 

The exchange station will have a clearly marked "drop" area well before it ... simply toss your empty old/beater bottle there.  SLOW DOWN going into the station itself... 

Identify the volunteer you want the drink from - they should be shouting whether they have "WATER!" or "GATORADE!" - if not, then you yell what which you want and they should point you to someone who has it...

Make eye contact with that volunteer - you will probably be wearing shades, so POINT at them as you approach - make sure they are looking at you.  

They will hold the bottle by the top or bottom - grab it securely and just hold it for now.... Thank the volunteer!!!

Pedal away carefully - watch out for weaving riders, and littered bottles while in the station area.

When safely away from the station, THEN secure the bottle to your cage. 

If you have one of those aerodrink things you need to refill, get away from the main exchange area before you either stop or slow to refill.  

The bottle exchange areas get sketchy and unsafe when riders try to do too much at once in a very short distance.

Cheers, Chris

2012-08-09 7:15 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Also to add to the water bottle info. Last year the exchange had "bottle water". Not in bike bottles. For some reason after I drink a little the bottle can wiggle out of my bottle cages. It is hot I am going to bring my own and place it a little down the road and just stop and grab. I'll lose a little time stopping but peace of mind and enough water will be worth it. *** also if it is as hot as last year, then I am learning from my experience at Chisago ; and bringing a cooler of ice for the run. There was plenty of hydration during the run, but when it is hot ice is sooo nice***** another note. The last 2-3 miles of the bike is repaved. It is so smooth. That stretch was rough last year
2012-08-09 7:37 PM

All this information is invaluable.  Getting more excited every day.  Next week I will practice my first OWS in the OCEAN!!!!  Can't wait.

Sounds like Square Lake is pretty laid back.  Are they strict on cut off times whereby a racer is pulled during the event.  I asked the race director and he said one has to be off the bike course in four hours but was not specific if that is four hours from gun time into the water or four hours from starting the bike leg.  Thoughts?

2012-08-09 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4353580

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

mrbeachbum2 - 2012-08-08 3:38 PM Tempted to sign up for a training experience for IM Texas. Have TCM a few weeks after however... My swimming and biking have not been where they more than likely should be. Looks like a great event. (Tempting...)

Go for it! I'm doing the TCM as my first marathon after square lake long course. I've had some soreness/injury issues this summer that have seriously limited my training, but I'm still all in for both of these races.

2012-08-09 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4353979

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Hydro, that is great advise. Both bottle exchanges at Liberty went well for me, but the second one was staffed by only two guys who seemed rather unsure of themselves. Even at a modest pace, I was surprised by how much the "SMACK" of the water bottle into my hand hurt. I had to do all I could to hold onto it.
2012-08-10 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4356118

User image

Hugo, MN
sthoresen - 2012-08-09 7:37 PM

All this information is invaluable.  Getting more excited every day.  Next week I will practice my first OWS in the OCEAN!!!!  Can't wait.

Sounds like Square Lake is pretty laid back.  Are they strict on cut off times whereby a racer is pulled during the event.  I asked the race director and he said one has to be off the bike course in four hours but was not specific if that is four hours from gun time into the water or four hours from starting the bike leg.  Thoughts?

It's probably 4 hours from the time the last person leaves the water. 

2012-08-10 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4356091

User image

Regular

Are you doing this long course?

peteweb55403 - 2012-08-09 7:15 PM Also to add to the water bottle info. Last year the exchange had "bottle water". Not in bike bottles. For some reason after I drink a little the bottle can wiggle out of my bottle cages. It is hot I am going to bring my own and place it a little down the road and just stop and grab. I'll lose a little time stopping but peace of mind and enough water will be worth it. *** also if it is as hot as last year, then I am learning from my experience at Chisago ; and bringing a cooler of ice for the run. There was plenty of hydration during the run, but when it is hot ice is sooo nice***** another note. The last 2-3 miles of the bike is repaved. It is so smooth. That stretch was rough last year

2012-08-10 11:25 PM
in reply to: #4357546

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Me XMan - 2012-08-10 2:56 PM

Are you doing this long course?

peteweb55403 - 2012-08-09 7:15 PM Also to add to the water bottle info. Last year the exchange had "bottle water". Not in bike bottles. For some reason after I drink a little the bottle can wiggle out of my bottle cages. It is hot I am going to bring my own and place it a little down the road and just stop and grab. I'll lose a little time stopping but peace of mind and enough water will be worth it. *** also if it is as hot as last year, then I am learning from my experience at Chisago ; and bringing a cooler of ice for the run. There was plenty of hydration during the run, but when it is hot ice is sooo nice***** another note. The last 2-3 miles of the bike is repaved. It is so smooth. That stretch was rough last year

yes sir

2012-08-12 10:25 PM

User image

Regular

Pete. Are you going there to ride the course sometime?
Let me know if you wouldn't mind me tagging along.

2012-09-01 5:00 PM

My spouse and I rode the long course bike route today.  It is lovely!  Such beautiful landscape.  Hills weren't too bad but we only went around one time.  The hill at mile 25/50 is the hardest, I thought.  Square Lake looks terrific, too.  Can't wait for next weekend.  It's gonna hurt, no doubt.
2012-09-03 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Rode the long course this morning with my neighbor. Echo many of the thoughts outlined above. The course is scenic, fairly open on the west half of it. I thought the hills out of the park were the worst part, but coming down 95 was a heck of a lot of fun. The lake is prestine! A lot of OWS'ers out there today. I think that run is going to be brutal with the hills, but it was going to hurt even if it was flat.

Carl, I was looking at the race roster and didn't see your name. Is this just like your last frontrunner race?

Looking forward to seeing everyone next Sunday for one last hoorahhh on what will hopefully be a beautiful day!

2012-09-03 4:40 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Let's hope for good weather. With hills and not much shade the run will suck if its hot. Let's have fun and go out easy.
2012-09-03 7:18 PM
in reply to: #4393351

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

peteweb55403 - 2012-09-03 4:40 PM Let's hope for good weather. With hills and not much shade the run will suck if its hot. Let's have fun and go out easy.

Amen, Amen, I say to you!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Square Lake Long Course Rss Feed  

of 3