Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2013-06-03 3:38 PM
in reply to: herkimer81

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Updates from Registration
I did the Finish Strong OWS out there three weeks ago. The conditions were pretty much identical with the exception of the water being a bit warmer.

The 10-15mph winds going south to north did almost make it feel like there was a current. Swim times were nearly identical 56mins for FSOWS and 55mins for IM70.3.

Now about that run.... HOLY SHI... I haven't run that badly ever. No escape from the sun and the heat. The sun tan lotion was choking my skin, but without it i would be in intensive care with 3rd degree burns because of my fair skin. I have never died that hard on a run EVER.

I still managed my minimally acceptable time of just below 7 hours by a hair 6:59:02 but the breakdown was not what

Swim 55:24
Bike 3:04:35 (woohoo avg'd over 18mph)
Run 2:48:28 (and I thought I could be in the 2:10 - 2:15 range... hahahahah)

2013-06-03 5:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Wait, so people thought the run was hard? Thats just crazy talk!

I have nothing more to add really other than to echo the frustration with the wetsuit issue, even though it is ultimately our responsibility. I DO NOT think the RD should grumble publically about having to haul wetsuits back and then state a water temp of 79 and warming up, only to announce it is wetsuit legal the next day, without updating the facebook page. Easy fix. But still ultimately our issue as competitors. And I thought the swim was a little long. Or I suck at open water swimming. But my time was slow for me by a good 3 or 4 mins.

Bike- glad we had a tailwind for some of that! I took it relatively easy on the bike and enjoyed the amount of support on the bike.

Run- saved myself for this one and started slowly...and managed to hold it together for most of the run, until about mile 10 or 11 when I lost the will to live. But had a really nice guy come up to me just before the turn to the finish (I was walking a little) and say "lets run this in together" and once I got going he said "now take those long legs and take off". Nice guy. And then another nice guy came up right at the finish chute, patted me on the back and said hey. It was fgump who, class-act that he is, said "go on ahead, you cross first". Met a lot of good folk during the race.

Only other minor complaint was the line into the food section. Setup does a much better job of that- the buffet is just easy to get to an "open" so you can grab 15 cokes if you want! But thats a minor issue. I really enjoyed the race and may actually do it again (I had swore before I wouldn't!). Was fun fussing on here with you guys and reading all your comments.

And a public shout-out to our own qrkid who finished second in the 40-44 age group, 29th overall and qualified for Vegas. And I think he had the fastest run split of non-professionals. Amazing performance. Actually, keyone is just as impressive doing it with her broken shoulder! Crazy tough.

Edited by louiskie 2013-06-03 5:02 PM
2013-06-03 5:13 PM
in reply to: herkimer81

New user
Originally posted by herkimer81

Originally posted by ajminn

I had a slower swim. Wasn't there a current going right to left? Pretty much 200-300m out, I started feeling movement to the left that only got stronger after the t1 buoy

I don't think it was a current as much as the wind picked up. When we crossed the bridge over the lake at the start of the bike I noticed how choppy the water looked compared to how smooth it was pretty race.

Winds picked up from 10 to 15 mph between 7 and 9AM from the south. Complete opposite direction from T1 to T2 buoy on the second leg as we were swimming into the wind. Also explains why we it wasn't as strong at the start as we were sheltered by the land until about 100-200m out. So I agree with you that the wind did pick up and that was a factor, but isn't one cause of water currents prevailing winds?
2013-06-03 6:24 PM
in reply to: ajminn

User image

Regular
Raleigh
I guess we were both saying the same thing

I also saw on slowtwitch they are talking about it being a bit long on the swim.
2013-06-03 6:25 PM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Camden, NC
Originally posted by louiskie

I have nothing more to add really other than to echo the frustration with the wetsuit issue, even though it is ultimately our responsibility. I DO NOT think the RD should grumble publically about having to haul wetsuits back and then state a water temp of 79 and warming up, only to announce it is wetsuit legal the next day, without updating the facebook page. Easy fix. But still ultimately our issue as competitors. And I thought the swim was a little long. Or I suck at open water swimming. But my time was slow for me by a good 3 or 4 mins.

Bike- glad we had a tailwind for some of that! I took it relatively easy on the bike and enjoyed the amount of support on the bike.

Run- saved myself for this one and started slowly...and managed to hold it together for most of the run, until about mile 10 or 11 when I lost the will to live. But had a really nice guy come up to me just before the turn to the finish (I was walking a little) and say "lets run this in together" and once I got going he said "now take those long legs and take off". Nice guy. And then another nice guy came up right at the finish chute, patted me on the back and said hey. It was fgump who, class-act that he is, said "go on ahead, you cross first". Met a lot of good folk during the race.

Only other minor complaint was the line into the food section. Setup does a much better job of that- the buffet is just easy to get to an "open" so you can grab 15 cokes if you want! But thats a minor issue. I really enjoyed the race and may actually do it again (I had swore before I wouldn't!). Was fun fussing on here with you guys and reading all your comments.

And a public shout-out to our own qrkid who finished second in the 40-44 age group, 29th overall and qualified for Vegas. And I think he had the fastest run split of non-professionals. Amazing performance. Actually, keyone is just as impressive doing it with her broken shoulder! Crazy tough.

Totally agree on the line into the food section. I know the area was a little constricted, but was not impressed with that. I feel like I expected a better selection of goodies and easier access for an IM event...would have liked a little more shade at the end as well!

Love the story about the motivators running with you, isn't this culture awesome! All of us joined together through determination and commitment to achieve what is not easily done. I am proud of everyone who strives to push themselves and feel the rawness of the best of what the human spirit has to offer. Too bad there is not more of what you all have burning inside to fuel more of the world out there to get off of the couch!
2013-06-03 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by cashonly

Originally posted by fgump

Originally posted by Patrick E

Originally posted by rjsurfer

No offense but when you consider the amount of time and money you spend on this sport not to bring your wetsuit to the start of a race because it LOOKS like it might not be wetsuit legal, yeesh.

Carrying a pound of foam rubber on an air conditioned tour bus to the swim start is not much of a hardship.

Sorry for the rant....but you must prepared for ALL possibilities during a race. You must have a plan A and a plan B & C.

Ron W.

I saw you posted the same thing on ST. The difference here is that two different race officials told me definitively the night before the race that it was NOT going to be wetsuit legal. No maybe about it. Not that it LOOKED like it was not going to be wetsuit legal.

Did I and others bear the responsibility for not bring a wetsuit? Sure, but we certainly had good reason not to do so.

I've been a part of races in the past where it was going to be a close call or even probably too high and I brought my suit to each of those events just in case. If I hadn't spoken to the two race officials in question I would have done the same here.

Ron-
The whole wetsuit issue was just a mess. The communication about the wetsuit wave that would be added was poorly communicated. I resolved to myself that it would not be legal based on the 79F reported in the last afternoon briefing on Saturday. With high daytime temps, direct sunlight, and warm low temps, there is no WAY it could've dropped off that much overnight. Yes, shame on me for not taking it, but it was just damn confusing who to listen to and the threats of the wetsuiters being added at 8:22am, there was no way I was going to risk being out there another hour later in the day.

There was discussion early on in the 70.3 Facebook page that there would be notification posted via Facebook the morning of; I'll have to go back and see the note from the RD about that, but that's the information I was looking for for my final decision.

Yes, hindsight 20/20 I'll carry the damn thing every where I go from now on, but it was a complicated decision.

I'm not sure where you guys got your info on the wetsuits, but I went to one of the athlete's meeting and the guy there (who is the race announcer I think) said that the water temp was 77 that morning. And with Saturday's high temps, it's unlikely that it would be wetsuit legal. he did say that it was possible and anything could happen and it could be wetsuit legal. He also said that if HE was going to do it, he'd definitely take his wetsuit just in case as swimming is his weak area. Worse case is that you just have to leave it in your blue bag. So, that's the advice I went on and was pleasantly surprised when I got off the shuttle and was told it was wetsuit legal. OK, maybe pleasantly surprised isn't the right term... more like F'ing ecstatic!
I found the 2nd leg of the swim to be rolly, and got knocked around a good bit by the 2 waves of swimmers that followed us. But I was amazed when I stepped on the boat ramp and saw the clock showing the time.... it was, in my my mind, the best time I could have realistically hoped for! So, for me, the swim was great, just wish I could say that about the rest of the race (but I did finish in less time than the 73yo woman who did it).

i went with the best info I had. I couldn't jump in the car and drive to every d@mn briefing they threw out there. They said they'd post the call. They didn't. My fault for not covering every base, but there was so much flip-flop on this it was almost political. Regardless, I truly enjoyed the swim once I got moving. Saw a friend volunteering on a SUP, and I stopped to chat with him. He was like "what are you doing? SWIM!"

Edited by fgump 2013-06-03 6:47 PM

2013-06-03 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

. Just thought it would look a little weird if we crossed together
2013-06-03 6:53 PM
in reply to: fgump

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Bill, someone left you a nice note on the first bridge on the greenway!
2013-06-03 7:15 PM

User image

Apex, NC
Congrats to everyone on their finishes. Good to meet some of you as well.

I beat my expected time, but not my target time. Oddly enough, it is important to train for these things, and I'll be better prepared next time. Not going to let that stupid work thing get in my way if I'm going to sign up for something like this again.

I know I've seen or heard it before, but when I was feeling lethargic, I would remember the sign I saw early on the bike: "Pain is temporary. Iron is forever."

And great energy at all the bike stations, especially the group dressed as pirates. I always had a burst of energy after those spots.

I refuse to ride on 64 when it isn't a race, so I had never ridden that stretch before. Man, that was awesome cruising at 40+ down the hill on smooth pavement. Almost brought a tear to my eye.
2013-06-03 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by fgump

. Just thought it would look a little weird if we crossed together

What, whats wrong with crossing the finish while holding hands and then engaging in a slightly awkward manly embrace? ;-)
2013-06-03 7:34 PM
in reply to: fatmouse

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by fatmouse

Congrats to everyone on their finishes. Good to meet some of you as well.

I beat my expected time, but not my target time. Oddly enough, it is important to train for these things, and I'll be better prepared next time. Not going to let that stupid work thing get in my way if I'm going to sign up for something like this again.

I know I've seen or heard it before, but when I was feeling lethargic, I would remember the sign I saw early on the bike: "Pain is temporary. Iron is forever."

And great energy at all the bike stations, especially the group dressed as pirates. I always had a burst of energy after those spots.

I refuse to ride on 64 when it isn't a race, so I had never ridden that stretch before. Man, that was awesome cruising at 40+ down the hill on smooth pavement. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

X2 on those fast downhills! 55 was fun too! Just really enjoyed all the enthusiasm out there all day.

2013-06-04 5:26 AM

User image

On the results it looks to me like the run division rank is just repeating the overall rank rather than the true division rank. Anyone else see this?
2013-06-04 5:28 AM
in reply to: ChuckHappy

User image

Oh, and what an incredible race. I'm proud of Raleigh for all the support they showed on the course ... fantastic boost to me to see all those people out cheering.
2013-06-04 8:41 AM

Yes I think that is a quirk of the way that ironman posts their results. They show your standing after the swim/run/bike not how your swim/bike/run split compares to the other bike splits like you see most other results posted. It is kind of annoying as it makes it hard to see how you stacked up in each portion of the event.
2013-06-04 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Originally posted by ChuckHappy

Oh, and what an incredible race. I'm proud of Raleigh for all the support they showed on the course ... fantastic boost to me to see all those people out cheering.

Absolutely proud of Raleighwood! Spectators cheering on every street corner and while running down the crowd lined Fayetteville Street I felt like Patton rolling down the Champs-Elysees toward L'arc de triomphe. Great experience!
2013-06-04 10:30 AM
in reply to: fatmouse

Originally posted by fatmouse

fatmouse,
I'm totally opposite about riding on 64. I love to ride in the breakdown lane there. I have ridden hundreds of miles without so much as a car honk. Granted, you have to watch out for debris, but I know of no other road where you can get such long, uninterrupted stretches without having to worry about cars bearing down on you. You should try it sometime.

2013-06-04 10:30 AM
in reply to: La Tortuga

Raleigh was my first HIM. Overall I thought it was great. The course was great, the crowds were great, the event was great overall. I was just a bit disappointed with my result overall though I did finish. My last month of training for this event was kind of shot with a foot injury after a HM in early may I didn't run as much as I would like. I had a bike crash a couple weeks before the event but I got back on the bike pretty quickly. The main thing was that I wasn't prepared for the heat and I probably didn't nail my bike nutrition and pacing and paid for it on the run.
The swim was my best triathlon swim so far even though the wind, chop and waves in the middle of the course made it difficult. On the bike I thought the course was great and I didn't mind the rollers that everyone said would be bad. I felt good throughout most of the course but I probably pushed the pace harder than I should have. In the last 6 miles or so I started to feel the heat and not enough nutrition hydration. So after a 39 minute swim and 2:57 bike I was on pace for a sub 6:00 finish which was my goal, but .25 mile in to the run my quads seized up and I battle cramps for the rest of the day. Instead of a 2:00-2:10 run split I suffered in the heat and on the hills of the run to a 2:46 for a 6:28 finish. I did run the second half of the course faster than the first half but the damage was done. All in all it was an amazing race, with amazing spectators everywhere encouraging me, even when I felt like I couldn't go on. My time was a bit off from what I was expecting but now I know what I need to work on for the future.

2013-06-04 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
This was my 1st IM branded race and I will say that the finish was pretty cool with a ton of noise. Overall a great race experience, made better by the fact that Loiuskie met up with me at pre race and then on race morning and got me back to my car. I was travelling alone so it was really cool to be able to do the race with someone.
I also got to meet japarker in the flesh for the 1st time and reconnect with fgump. All of that helped make this a pretty damn cool race experience for me.
Raleigh and IM did not dissapoint and put on a really good, but very tough race. If you got through thi sin sort of one piece you did great. Congrats to all who made it an awesome day.
2013-06-04 11:32 AM
in reply to: lagdawg

User image

New user

Chapel Hill
Lagdawg what were you wearing? I was the guy in the sleeveless Fox jersey and the Raleigh IM visor... you and I had very similar race experiences, so I'd wager we saw each other a few times on the run. I finished about a minute behind you.
2013-06-04 12:08 PM

Yes, I remember that jersey well. We passed each other many times from museum back into town.

I was wearing a black Orca 226 tri-suit (the back panel was white). I was also wearing a white head sweats visor.

You may or may not have been running with a gentleman with a white IM CDA jersey on for a while not sure as I passed him several times during the entire run as well?

Edited by lagdawg 2013-06-04 12:10 PM
2013-06-04 12:20 PM
in reply to: lagdawg

User image

Originally posted by lagdawg

Yes I think that is a quirk of the way that ironman posts their results. They show your standing after the swim/run/bike not how your swim/bike/run split compares to the other bike splits like you see most other results posted. It is kind of annoying as it makes it hard to see how you stacked up in each portion of the event.

Thanks. This makes complete sense. I was literally in the bottom third for the swim and bottom 20% for the bike, but was much better on the run and wanted to see that in writing as a pat on my back. I just sorted through the results on the page where you can download your certificate and was able to figure it out.

2013-06-04 1:01 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
This was also my first HIM. I am pleased that I was able to get to the finish line. I was happy with my swim (even though I too left my wetsuit at home). I wasn't unhappy with my bike - but my run was ruined by bad blisters on both of my feet that started around mile 4. I am certain that pouring a ton of water over my head as I exited T2 was the catalyst to those blisters. That water got my feet/shoes/socks wet. I ended up having to walk way more than run (avg 15:15/mi)... so I wasn't happy. I had expected to run a 2:25 1/2 mary, but came in at a much slower 3:19. -- I will learn from this experience and tackle it again next year. At least now I have an easy run time to improve upon next year!!!
2013-06-04 1:11 PM
in reply to: qrkid

Overall, I was very pleased with the way WTC handled the race, even the wetsuit issue.

If I just focus on what WTC had control of, it was extremely well done. The logistics were well handled in terms of planning, notification of information, support, etc. I've never had such an excellent shuttle bus scenario at ANY event with massive amounts of people! I loved the way that both the bike and run water stops had not just multiple choices, but multiple choices along a long stretch of the water stop! The bag organization and planning with the red/blue/green bags worked out perfectly. The traffic handling on the bike and run course was excellent. And the finish line and hoopla and crowds that went with it was so enthralling! I didn't have to use the porta-pottys, but looking at the lines, I think they really need to double or triple the number of porta-pottys they have next time. That would be my only complaint for WTC.

The only other HIM I did was Finish Strong. That was OK, but they had a couple of SERIOUS mistakes. First, the swim was TOO SHORT! It was more like 1500 meters! So, technically, it wasn't an HIM, making the WTC event my first real HIM. And with FS, they RAN OUT OF CUPS on the course! There were runners lined up to kneel down in the gravel to put their mouth under the Coleman water barrels!
In terms of volunteers and crowd, that was awesome. It was so well supported and cheered along nearly the entire course! That's a credit to the Triangle.

Finish Strong is doing theirs again in September. As I was able to do this one, I doubt I'll do that one again this year. First, I want to see if they can do it properly and at least have the measurements and the supplies correct. Granted, it was a $100 less, and logistically it was a lot easier to get to/from, but there's a lot to be said for the support and hoopla that came with the WTC event.
2013-06-04 3:43 PM
in reply to: cashonly

User image

New user
Salisbury
JET CLAFFEY

Overall Rank: 826
BIB: 279
Division: M50-54
State: Salisbury NC
Profession: Professional Surfer
Swim: 47:22
Bike: 2:55:46
Run: 2:22:40

Tough Race, of course I brought my wetsuit to the start and was glad to have it.I thought there was a lot of contact and that's poor Karma going into an endurance event. And who hell starts frog kicking at 300 meters right in the middle of the pack.? Yes that was my nose

• Good bike though I thought I gave 10 minutes back after the 40 mile mark as I slowed down.

Run was as hard as I have dealt with condition and course wise. I tried to pick it up a few times and thought Damn I might pass out...so I got my slowest easiest pace out and completed it, but it was an Epic struggle.

Glad I did it, and I am never going back.
    2013-06-04 8:04 PM
    in reply to: kenbert61

User image

Expert
    Apex, NC
    Subject: So, how are we feeling today?
    I did a 3000m swim set at 4:30am, followed by a 40 mile LT interval set at 7am, and wrapped it up with a 14-mile run through Umstead this afternoon, and I feel pretty good.

How about y'all?

Actually, it was a relaxing 2-mile walk with a cup of coffee this morning and a 7-mile mountain bike ride along the greenway this afternoon...man, these 70.3s HURT!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Raleigh half? Rss Feed  

of 20