General Discussion Race Reports! » Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Sprint - TriathlonShort Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sylvania, Ohio
United States
3 Disciplines/Racing For Recovery
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 36s
Overall Rank = 23/73
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 4:30, got the truck loaded up and had some breakfast (two pieces of toast w/peanut butter, coffee, and lots of water). Headed out about 5:15 (at Saturday's packet pickup they said to get there early as parking might be an issue--there were four other cars when I got there). Setup my transition area and then went down to the water--bad mistake, freaked out when I saw the swim course. Went back to transition and then nervously paced back and forth between transition and the bathrooms.
Event warmup:

Went for a short ride before I setup transition. Did a little bit of easy running about an hour before the race. They called us down to the beach for a pre-race metting at 7:15. Should have gone back to transition to get my sweatshirt, since my wave was not scheduled to start until 8:20 (at 7:30 it was a balmy 62 degrees out, and I don't have a weatsuit). Instead, I paced nervously around the beach getting more psyched out about the swim. About 10 minutes before my wave started, I did some light stretching and some calistenics to get the arms loosened up.
Swim
  • 22m 26s
  • 1055 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

About 5 minutes before the start, for some reason, I totally relaxed. I came to the conclusion that .6 miles is .6 miles whether it is in the pool or in a lake, and that the worst that could happen is I would go way off course.

The horn went off and we ran in, once the water was above my thighs I dove in and started swimming. LOTS of contact at the beginning. Ironically, I found the contact kind of fun. I didn't like the guy trying to swim over me (multiple times). I switched to breast stroke with a frog kick and he backed off.

Rounded the first buoy without much problems. It was a long straight away, and there were not many people around so I switched back to freestyle and attempted to find my groove. My stroke was really strong here, good glide, good bi-lateral breathing. Would switch to breast stroke when I wanted to site. My goggles started fogging up, but this was not a problem since buoys were a wonderful flourescent orange. Rounded the next set of buoys and made the turn for for the long straight away home.

At this point, my goggles were almost completely fogged up. I didn't want to stop because I never practiced putting goggles on without hanging on to a wall. Could still see the buoys so I thought I was OK. I got really scared when there were suddenly a bunch of people around me (caught the back of the previous wave). Drifted a little bit to the left during the straightway and had to make a little adjustment to find the swim exit. When the water was waist high, stopped swimming and started running.
What would you do differently?:

Not get so nervous, find someway to keep the goggles from fogging (they fog up in the pool too). With the exception of a little dabbling last summer, this was my first open water swim and I think it went awesome.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Time includes the run up from the beach. Already had the cap and goggles off. Put the helmet on first, cleaned off my feet, and dried off. Socks and shoes went on smoothly. Grabbed the bike and headed off.

I think a tupperwear to dip my feet in would have sped things up a little bit (took a little time to get the sand off the feet). Need to figure out just how dry I need to be in order to keep the socks dry. Think I spent too much time drying off.
Bike
  • 43m 50s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Knew I had a beneficial cross wind at the start so I pushed pretty hard for the 'out' section. Passed quite a few people, unfortuneately most of them were the back of the half-iron man pack.

Turnaround was a little tight, so I had to slow way down. Got back up to speed fairly quick. Wind was strong so I focussed on keeping my cadence up and my hearrate reasonable. Passed six or seven people on the 'back' section.

This was a good bike for me. I never got passed.

Maybe push a little harder on the back section.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Good transition, I am not ready to do the 'ride on top of the shoes' thing so I unvelcroed my shoes while riding. Good run to my spot. Racked the bike, kicked off the cycling shoes, and slapped on the running shoes.

Not a thing, this was an awesome transition for me.
Run
  • 21m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Knew there was a couple of people in transition when I left, so I started out pretty quick to put some distance between me and them. Grabbed some water at the first aide station which was at mile one. Glanced at my watch and saw I did it in 7:00 flat. Considered slowing down, but I was still feeling great, so I kept pushing. Got passed just after the first mile, there was no way I could keep up so I let him go. Reached the turnout and still felt strong so I decided to take it up another knotch.
Passed a couple people on the way back in. Ran strong all the way to the finish, didn't get passed again.

Nothing, this was a strong run for me. If the course was measured acurately, this was 5k PR.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and then walked around for a bit. After awhile, got some muffins and cookies and cheered on the other sprint competitors. After awhile, the half iron athletes started coming in from the bike so I cheered them on too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not sure anything did. This was my very first triathlon and I thought it went spectacular.

Event comments:

This was a great race for a great cause. It was well organized with lots of volunteers. Only complaint was it started late. Someday I hope to do the half ironman.

Last updated: 2006-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:26 | 1055 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 38/73
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-Suit
Course: A one lap rectangle in a shallow lake/pond.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:50 | 14 miles | 19.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 21/73
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back on on one road (my computer read 15 miles for the round trip). Road was shared with vehicular traffic and was relatively smooth. Pancake flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:32 | 03.11 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 20/73
Course: Flat out and back course through a couple of sub-divisions. Felt a little shorter than 5k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-11 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Sprint

2006-06-12 8:01 AM
in reply to: #450517

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Sprint

Congrats, nice race.  I can understand about the swim thing, it makes it really rough.

2006-06-12 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Southeastern PA
Awesome job!!!!!!! Way to keep your space during the swim and a very respectable run pace to say the least. All those challenges are paying off.
2006-06-12 10:30 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Nice race!  Pretty solid through all 3 events.  Isn't it funny how we pysch ourselves out sometimes with the OWS when we easily swim twice the distance in the pool?  Awesome times...

2006-06-12 1:25 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Someday I hope to do the half ironman.

With your splits, it is clear you have the ability to swim, bike and run ... and finishing with a PB in the 5k (with a sub-7:00/mi) means you've got something left in the tank. 

You might want to think about doing an Oly or two this season and then starting out with a HIM next season. (Maybe travel down to Panama City Beach, FL for the Gulf Coast HIm or Wildflower?)

Great job on the race. You rocked!

2006-06-12 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Great race! You are going to do awesome in your olympic race this season!

2006-06-12 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Great job!!! Sorry we  didn't get to meet up!!!  You did great on your swimm.  Spit in your goggles to prevent fog   Blistering run!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed