General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMNY Fatality: Additional Insight on Victim and his High Level of Fitness. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-08-14 1:57 AM
in reply to: #4360684

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: IMNY Fatality: Additional Insight on Victim and his High Level of Fitness.

There are far more deaths during marathon races and even half marathons. You just don't hear about it as much. But when it happens during a triathlon event it seems to generate more news coverage.

2012-08-14 5:45 AM
in reply to: #4361838

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-08-14 6:04 AM
in reply to: #4361932

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: IMNY Fatality: Additional Insight on Victim and his High Level of Fitness.
pbreed - 2012-08-14 12:58 AM

That starts with open non confrontational communication...

Lighten up people.

Ahh - the irony.

Beyond that, you mention mitigating risk but before one starts taking dramatic steps to mitigate risk, it is important to understand the level of risk involved. According to USAT, they have 140 000 full members and let's say the same number of one day memberships. Assuming everyone races once per year, that is 280 000 athletes on the start line of triathlons at USAT events. While I don't know the number of deaths on the swim, let's say 10 per year which I expect is a high estimate based on the reports I've heard since being involved in the sport. So, a 1 in 28 000 chance of a death in the swim annually. Cleary these are rough guesses and if anything, I suspect that this is going to estimate the risk on the high side; compared to many things that we do everyday, the chance of dying in a triathlon swim is quite low.

Shane
2012-08-14 6:16 AM
in reply to: #4361912

New user
US
Experior - 2012-08-13 10:27 PM
fenderperry - 2012-08-13 11:18 PM
metafizx - 2012-08-13 1:20 PM

with the crazyness of the tri swims I've been in, I'm not surprised about the swim fatalities.

it's easy to be kicked in the head or somewhere, and be temporarily knocked out, or suck in enough water, that might be enough to mess up a person long enough to drown.  I've been clawed, kicked in the face and stomach, pushed down, held back, swam over..anything can happen with 1500 or more super strong athletes hell bent on getting the best time, swimming the course.

would any of the swarm of triathletes stop to help ? I wouldn't bet on it.

Dang, makes me not want to do an IM.

It is not terribly difficult to stay out of the fray if you want to.  Of course, the odd freak accident can occur (as it can crossing the street), but staying clear of the melee is not hard, if you wish to avoid it.

I prefer not to get clobbered

2012-08-14 6:40 AM
in reply to: #4361917

Edited by Fred D 2012-08-14 6:41 AM
2012-08-14 6:56 AM

Master
Centennial, CO

As I agree with several other posters, there are plenty of deaths in marathons and other sporting events as well.  I have no idea what the cause was in this case, but many have been Heart related.  As someone who lost an uncle who was a runner and died during a training run for a marathon, these things do just happen to seemingly healthy people.  

Also as I agree that mass starts can be dangerous, in this case, it was a time trial start.  It wasn't your normal mass crazy start.  I think we will have to wait to find out what really happened.  If it turns out that this person was hit or kicked and died that is one thing, but if it was cardiac arrest, then the options to prevent such a thing may be completely different.

Hard not to jump to conclusion that offer no help to mitigate the situation.

2012-08-14 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4360924

2012-08-14 7:36 AM
in reply to: #4362130

Elite
PEI, Canada
FoggyGoggles - 2012-08-14 9:27 AM
Tom Demerly. - 2012-08-13 1:13 PM

"IMHO The most obvious solution, is some kind of buddy system."

There are a group of lads who do a lot of swimming in a school on the west coast who agree with you.

That's an interesting idea. I don't know how (or even if) it could ever work but it is a good job of thinking it through.

I'm rather sure what you're referencing here and I'd like to add an additional thought. Candidates aren't assigned a buddy until completing SQT (Qualification Training) and deployed to their team for further training.

The interesting thing about your comment is the "Q" in SQT... Qualifying, essentially. I'm not sure if this would be feasible, but what if the WTC required proof of an athlete completing an Olympic distance to compete in a 70.3 or proof of completing a 70.3 to compete in a 140.6?

What would that accomplish?

2012-08-14 7:54 AM

Millions of people participate in triathlons worldwide. We obviously don't have the whole picture but if we can assume 1 death per month (during races) as a guess then statistically it isn't significant enough to warrant changes to the sport.

Any death is hughly tragic and detrimental to the image of triathlon but to try to completely mitigate the risk of it occurring is counter-intuitive. We don't know the underlying medical issues of every competitor, we don't know the swimming/biking/running experience of every competitor, I would suggest that medically we don't know the stresses that triathlon places on the human body, but I for one welcome the challenge of not knowing how far I can push myself and how far I can challenge my body. If my body can't take it then that is a point I accept as soon as I decide to compete in any event not just triathlon.

I believe triathlon is the most physically exhausting sport anyone can do whether you are a novice or world class. No one wants to see/hear of deaths in our sport but unfortunately we aren't going to be able to completely remove the possibility. Even in duathlons there will be deaths, even aquathlons there will be deaths, even in marathons there will be deaths. I'm not trying to detract from the undeniable heartache that a loss of life causes but we have to accept that it is cruel fact of life that in any activity, regardless of safety measures, deaths can (and will) happen.

2012-08-14 8:32 AM

Master
This is a tragic event. But it is not yet clear what - if any - changes in race procedure would have avoided it.

Based on what I've seen reported in other tri swimming death cases, my guess is that we will hear this was the result of an undiagnosed heart problem. I'm not sure how to solve that problem. Perhaps a requirement that all long course participants get the "all clear" from a doc before being allowed on the course? I honestly don't know if that would catch these types of problems or not.

Wave starts might make it easier for rescuers to get to swimmers in distress faster, but that assumes they can see they are in distress. I suspect that technology will solve some of this eventually. Perhaps heart rate monitors that transmit information to race oficials? Some kind of "call button" that all swimmers carry and push if they are in trouble?

I can tell you the "buddy system" suggested up thread is a terrible idea. Forgetting for a moment about the impact it has on actual racing, I am unwilling to accept the potential liability should I fail to immediately recognize that my "buddy" is having a problem. Particularly since I'm not trained in that kind of thing.
2012-08-14 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4361148

Veteran
Berkley
gsmacleod - 2012-08-13 3:52 PM My first thought on hearing of a death during the swim of IMNY was saddness that we have had another tragic incident in the sport. Immediately on the heels of that was, I wonder how long until Tom posts a thread about swim safety and works into it that he has lots of race experience across the globe.
Tom Demerly. - 2012-08-13 2:18 PM 2. It's unlikely any level of health screening could detect all pre-existing conditions that may lead to an athlete fatality. It is possible some health screening may detect some anomolies that could preclude or prevent a medical incident during a race.

3. Based on the media I've seen in the U.S. and Hong Kong media about the victim in Ironman New York, we do not yet know the specific circumstances surrounding his tragic passing.

Based on number 3, isn't it a bit early to once again suggest health screening? Unless we see that many of the swim deaths are caused by something that could reliably be tested for, testing simply adds additional cost and hassle to RD's and athletes and offers nothing more than a false sense of security. Shane

I don't think it is ever too early to suggest Health Screenings. My wife wanted me to do a 7 step heart check (blood pressure, BMI, Cholesterol, ECG, Stroke Screening, Aortic Ultrasound, and Artery Disease Screening)  before I did my HIM last year. While we don't know what happened in this accident, you hear stories frequently of High Schoolers or young adults dying during sporting events due to heart issues. I don't think we are to that point to make it mandatory, but I think to suggest it is very wise.   

2012-08-14 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4362233

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

deboerkj - 2012-08-14 9:40 AM

I don't think we are to that point to make it mandatory, but I think to suggest it is very wise.   

I don't think it is particularly wise.  And the moment triathlon races started mandating health screens (it's very difficult for me to imagine this happening) would be the moment I become a pure runner.

2012-08-14 9:33 AM

Wichita
They can try and do all kinds of stuff and more thank likely someone is still going to die at some point.  We all know that what we are doing is inherently dangerous, especially with the swim.  I don't tell my wife what it is really like during the swim because I don't want her to worry about it.  But being out there I know looking around there is a good chance that other swimmers won't realize if I am in trouble and that with all the thrashing and splashing that the lifeguards may miss it too.  It is the risk I take by doing it.  The only thing we can do, and all of us need to do it, is have a life insurance policy to take care of our family if something tragic does happen.
2012-08-14 10:05 AM

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah

Here is ST article about some precautions we can take .

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Opinion/Limiting_Deaths_in_Triathlon_2986.html

Also, does anyone know some more statistics when these deaths occur? I am guessing within the first 100-600 yards.

Edited by xatefrogg 2012-08-14 10:17 AM
2012-08-14 10:10 AM

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
God Bless this man and his family.   Now what the organizers need to look into is called "Swimming-induced pulmonary edema"  The medical office may claim that this man had a heart attack. Which may be true but it was most likely brought on by several factors and those factors can be found in Swimming induced Pulmonary edma. Google it.  Triathlets and race organizers need to be educated more with this sitution. Increased awareness of what brings on SIPE and a mandatory pre race swim (5-10 mins) are a must to curb this from happening again.
2012-08-14 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4362319

Champion
Chicago
Experior - 2012-08-14 9:16 AM

deboerkj - 2012-08-14 9:40 AM

I don't think we are to that point to make it mandatory, but I think to suggest it is very wise.   

I don't think it is particularly wise.  And the moment triathlon races started mandating health screens (it's very difficult for me to imagine this happening) would be the moment I become a pure runner.

Don't go to France.

You'll have to give up triathlons, run races and ... well, pretty much every other sort of competitive athletics.

2012-08-14 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4362438

Veteran
Ohio

Mister Mike - 2012-08-14 11:10 AM God Bless this man and his family.   Now what the organizers need to look into is called "Swimming-induced pulmonary edema"  The medical office may claim that this man had a heart attack. Which may be true but it was most likely brought on by several factors and those factors can be found in Swimming induced Pulmonary edma. Google it.  Triathlets and race organizers need to be educated more with this sitution. Increased awareness of what brings on SIPE and a mandatory pre race swim (5-10 mins) are a must to curb this from happening again.

I agree that more awareness needs to be brought to this, although I am not sure that a pre-race swim will necessarily prevent most occurances.  Knowledge of what to do if it starts to happen to you is the key.

2012-08-14 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4362438

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah

Mister Mike - 2012-08-14 9:10 AM God Bless this man and his family.   Now what the organizers need to look into is called "Swimming-induced pulmonary edema"  The medical office may claim that this man had a heart attack. Which may be true but it was most likely brought on by several factors and those factors can be found in Swimming induced Pulmonary edma. Google it.  Triathlets and race organizers need to be educated more with this sitution. Increased awareness of what brings on SIPE and a mandatory pre race swim (5-10 mins) are a must to curb this from happening again.

This is the best solution I have come across and totally agree with a mandatory pre race swim. Set up a side course with a bouy a hundred meters out and make everyone swim a few laps. Not all at once but maybe you get a check mark on your hand or something showing that you did the warm up.

Edited by xatefrogg 2012-08-14 10:23 AM
2012-08-14 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4362455

Veteran
Ohio
xatefrogg - 2012-08-14 11:21 AM

Mister Mike - 2012-08-14 9:10 AM God Bless this man and his family.   Now what the organizers need to look into is called "Swimming-induced pulmonary edema"  The medical office may claim that this man had a heart attack. Which may be true but it was most likely brought on by several factors and those factors can be found in Swimming induced Pulmonary edma. Google it.  Triathlets and race organizers need to be educated more with this sitution. Increased awareness of what brings on SIPE and a mandatory pre race swim (5-10 mins) are a must to curb this from happening again.

This is the best solution I have come across and totally agree with a mandatory pre race swim. Set up a side course with a bouy a hundred meters out and make everyone swim a few laps. Not all at once but maybe you get a check mark on your hand or something showing that you did the warm up.

From what I have read, this tends to occur more with HIM and IM swims (from wikipedia), not shorter ones, so I am not sure a 5 - 10 min pre-race swim would benefit much.

2012-08-14 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4362476

Elite
Laguna Beach
This discussion has stayed constructive and I appreciate that guys. Smile
2012-08-14 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4362547

Veteran
Berkley

Tom Demerly. - 2012-08-14 12:02 PM This discussion has stayed constructive and I appreciate that guys. Smile

I think the pre-race swim warm up would be a great idea. It looks like SIPE could be a culprit with some of the issues that are out there. Take it with a grain of salt - From WIKI, SIPE affects 1.4% of triathletes, that is a big population of racers. I'm sure not all result in death, but it could severely impact the individuals for the remainder of the race. 

And BOOM goes the dynamite for Tom:

Cat Swimming

2012-08-14 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4362476

Master
Houston
buck1400 - 2012-08-14 10:27 AM
xatefrogg - 2012-08-14 11:21 AM

From what I have read, this tends to occur more with HIM and IM swims (from wikipedia), not shorter ones, so I am not sure a 5 - 10 min pre-race swim would benefit much.

By "this" do you mean SPIE or deaths?

We saw a couple of Deathos in Oly's last year as I recall. 

I'm not sure that a mandatory swim is needed, but an optional warm up swim should be available.  In that case I think it is more important in the shorter distance races where you may have some first timers who haven't done a OWS.  I am not saying it would prevent any deaths, but might prevent some panic attacks.

The perfect solution to the pre-race swim is to make you swim to the swim start.   Not always possible with races like escape from alcatraz... but a good idea.

2012-08-14 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4362447

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
buck1400 - 2012-08-14 11:13 AM

Mister Mike - 2012-08-14 11:10 AM God Bless this man and his family.   Now what the organizers need to look into is called "Swimming-induced pulmonary edema"  The medical office may claim that this man had a heart attack. Which may be true but it was most likely brought on by several factors and those factors can be found in Swimming induced Pulmonary edma. Google it.  Triathlets and race organizers need to be educated more with this situation. Increased awareness of what brings on SIPE and a mandatory pre race swim (5-10 mins) are a must to curb this from happening again.

I agree that more awareness needs to be brought to this, although I am not sure that a pre-race swim will necessarily prevent most occurrences.  Knowledge of what to do if it starts to happen to you is the key.

Correct to one degree but more importantly people need to know the knowledge of why it occurs. Once it happens it MIGHT be too late but IMO the more you know about it the more you might be able to avoid it all together and detect if and when it starts to happen.

A quick background on myself I am 51 and i get a physical along with complete blood work and an EKG every year and I pass my physical with flying colors each and every year. I also do not have high blood pressure.  

SIPE happened to me in a sprint race..Twice. Once was really bad and once it felt like more of a major anxiety attack than a heart attack. Being an engineer and a Type A personality I set my sights on finding out exactly what happened to me. So I did a ton of research and I almost got in on the test study they were starting down at Duke University. I spoke to the doctor who was running the test several times explaining my situation. I just could not get down to the University to get included in the test.

SIPE is believed to occur form a combination of factors that creates what can be thought of as a "perfect Storm" that leads to capillary leak. Here is a link that does a decent job of outlining the situation and this site also has several additional resource articles on the left side of the page that you can jump to to find out more info. http://www.endurancetriathletes.com/sipe.html

But in a short lay-mens terms here are some of the items that can contribute to SIPE.When you look at these items you can see how easy this perfect storm can happen. Note they are not necessary in specific order.

• Pre Race Anxiety we all get them some more than others
  • Tight constrictive wet suit.
  • Over heating in the wet suit waiting for the race to start.
  • Going out too fast at the start and causing a Very rapid Heart Rate rise. A HR "Spike" if you will.  Hence the reason to do a pre swim is to get your HR elevated. Now this can be accomplished in a pre race run or bike but it does not address the next element
  • Rapid body temp change as the athlete enters the cold water at the start of the race. If you do a pre swim your body has a chance to acclimate with the water temp and you also should let some water into the wet suit. If your body is at a normal 98.7 degrees not including any rise in temp due to wearing a wet suit in 80+ degree weather for 15 to 20 or more mins. Then you jump into the water that is for example 70 Degrees and you are talking an instantainous 30 degree temp difference. your body needs a chance to adapt. Warm up swim, warm up swim, I can't say it enough do a warm up swim!!!!!!
  •  Not breathing properly. When you bike or run you breath when ever and how ever you want but in the swim you must be in sync! I like to think of it as a dance. If you are not in a rhythm you are going to have a problem. If you are not breathing correctly you could be exhaling and inhaling when you turn your head for a breath. We all know that you must exhale in the water and take in new air when you turn your head.  That rapid exhale and inhale at the same time will cause hyperventilation and that leads to an anxiety attack.

Several studies also call out excess fluids; fish oil suppliments and asprin as being part of the factors that can lead to SIPE. I never took Fish oil or asprin pre race but i have cut back on my pre race fluids and save it for when i get to the bike.

After all of my reasearch I modified my pre race routine to avoid or eliminate as many  or all of the contributing factors listed above.  I have done 10 -12 races from sprints to Oly since and this issue has not come back at all. Not even a little. Naturally I am very happy for that. I just hope that more and more people find out about this so one day soon it can be eliminated.

2012-08-17 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4362994

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Mister Mike - 2012-08-14 2:02 PM
buck1400 - 2012-08-14 11:13 AM

Mister Mike - 2012-08-14 11:10 AM God Bless this man and his family.   Now what the organizers need to look into is called "Swimming-induced pulmonary edema"  The medical office may claim that this man had a heart attack. Which may be true but it was most likely brought on by several factors and those factors can be found in Swimming induced Pulmonary edma. Google it.  Triathlets and race organizers need to be educated more with this situation. Increased awareness of what brings on SIPE and a mandatory pre race swim (5-10 mins) are a must to curb this from happening again.

I agree that more awareness needs to be brought to this, although I am not sure that a pre-race swim will necessarily prevent most occurrences.  Knowledge of what to do if it starts to happen to you is the key.

Correct to one degree but more importantly people need to know the knowledge of why it occurs. Once it happens it MIGHT be too late but IMO the more you know about it the more you might be able to avoid it all together and detect if and when it starts to happen.

A quick background on myself I am 51 and i get a physical along with complete blood work and an EKG every year and I pass my physical with flying colors each and every year. I also do not have high blood pressure.  

SIPE happened to me in a sprint race..Twice. Once was really bad and once it felt like more of a major anxiety attack than a heart attack. Being an engineer and a Type A personality I set my sights on finding out exactly what happened to me. So I did a ton of research and I almost got in on the test study they were starting down at Duke University. I spoke to the doctor who was running the test several times explaining my situation. I just could not get down to the University to get included in the test.

SIPE is believed to occur form a combination of factors that creates what can be thought of as a "perfect Storm" that leads to capillary leak. Here is a link that does a decent job of outlining the situation and this site also has several additional resource articles on the left side of the page that you can jump to to find out more info. http://www.endurancetriathletes.com/sipe.html

But in a short lay-mens terms here are some of the items that can contribute to SIPE.When you look at these items you can see how easy this perfect storm can happen. Note they are not necessary in specific order.

• Pre Race Anxiety we all get them some more than others
  • Tight constrictive wet suit.
  • Over heating in the wet suit waiting for the race to start.
  • Going out too fast at the start and causing a Very rapid Heart Rate rise. A HR "Spike" if you will.  Hence the reason to do a pre swim is to get your HR elevated. Now this can be accomplished in a pre race run or bike but it does not address the next element
  • Rapid body temp change as the athlete enters the cold water at the start of the race. If you do a pre swim your body has a chance to acclimate with the water temp and you also should let some water into the wet suit. If your body is at a normal 98.7 degrees not including any rise in temp due to wearing a wet suit in 80+ degree weather for 15 to 20 or more mins. Then you jump into the water that is for example 70 Degrees and you are talking an instantainous 30 degree temp difference. your body needs a chance to adapt. Warm up swim, warm up swim, I can't say it enough do a warm up swim!!!!!!
  •  Not breathing properly. When you bike or run you breath when ever and how ever you want but in the swim you must be in sync! I like to think of it as a dance. If you are not in a rhythm you are going to have a problem. If you are not breathing correctly you could be exhaling and inhaling when you turn your head for a breath. We all know that you must exhale in the water and take in new air when you turn your head.  That rapid exhale and inhale at the same time will cause hyperventilation and that leads to an anxiety attack.

Several studies also call out excess fluids; fish oil suppliments and asprin as being part of the factors that can lead to SIPE. I never took Fish oil or asprin pre race but i have cut back on my pre race fluids and save it for when i get to the bike.

After all of my reasearch I modified my pre race routine to avoid or eliminate as many  or all of the contributing factors listed above.  I have done 10 -12 races from sprints to Oly since and this issue has not come back at all. Not even a little. Naturally I am very happy for that. I just hope that more and more people find out about this so one day soon it can be eliminated.

Thanks. this actually makes sense to me.  I always feel the same way during a warm-up, even worse during a COLD swim.  I can't breath, my hr goes up. I know if I get in a good warm-up, I'll be fine, if not, I suck it up and just deal with a very slow first 3-5 mine.  When I run or bike, I get the same thing.  My breathing is rough, my HR is higher and I'm going very slow.  for me, the warm up is truly important.  After about 10 min, I settle down.  I've just had to accept it as the way it goes.  Very interesting. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMNY Fatality: Additional Insight on Victim and his High Level of Fitness. Rss Feed  

of 3