Ultramax
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 38s
Overall Rank = 21/111
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Bowl of cereal when I woke up at 5, walked my dog, loaded my gear into the car, and drank salted Gatorade on the hour-long drive out to the race. Left an hour later than I intended, and didn't have time to warm up; but felt okay setting up my transition area. Didn't forget anything. :-)
Event warmup:

None. Unless you count walking my dog three hours before the race. :-)
Swim
  • 18m 26s
  • 1050 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I self-seeded in the back of the pack, being used to swimming with a masters group full of people MUCH faster than I am. Forgot that many triathletes are not swimmers, and had to pass more than 80 people. But the first 300m or so I was stuck in this mass of people and couldn't even swim -- I think I breast-stroked and dog-paddled half of that first leg, looking for gaps in the pack to swim into. After we rounded the first buoy I had passed most of the people I needed to pass, and swam decently after that. Breathing pattern was weird, and my technique went out the window, though. Need more open-water swimming practice.
What would you do differently?:

Not start in the very back of the pack. That was dumb. Many people had recommended starting off to the side, but half my wave had the same idea, so people were stretched across 20m or so, and I thought I would have had to swim a significant extra distance.....but in retrospect, I could have returned to the buoy line after the first leg, and it wouldn't have been that bad.
Transition 1
  • 04m 38s
Comments:

Put my shoes on at the rack, instead of having them clipped in. The grass was wet, and I didn't want dirt and rocks and grass stuck to my socks creating friction. It's funny -- I don't remember taking a nap, getting a massage, and eating lunch during this transition, but apparently I did. :-) I didn't even have a wetsuit to get out of, so I don't know how I possibly took this long -- work on this transition.

Run with the bike. Not spend so long drying my feet off before putting my socks on.
Bike
  • 1h 38m 16s
  • 30 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I need to get faster on the flats, and I also need more hill work. My climbs were weaker than they could have been, and I simply haven't been spending enough time on the bike. My lower back was sore, my shoulders hurt, and my ankles and feet were really tired by the end of the bike leg, and those things are easily taken care of by just putting in the time. My top speed on the flats was under 19 mph, and I'd like to be able to sustain 20.

Not much, during the race. Train harder, though, for sure.
Transition 2
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

Lazed through this transition, too. Stopped and stretched my calves and hamstrings, which were REALLY TIRED and needed it. I think that was time well-spent.

I don't know about leaving my shoes clipped into the bike. I don't want to run with my socks covered in dirt and pebbles and sticks and things like that.
Run
  • 51m 54s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a hard course. I had to walk up........I don't know, maybe 6 hills? And those were just the steep ones. It was very hard. It took me almost 2 miles to feel like a runner again, even though in my bricks I felt fine by the end of the first mile. My right foot started tingling around mile 2, and by mile 3 it was completely numb. Very weird. It went back to normal around mile 4.5, which was nice. I think I was able to run a little faster after that. I was pretty happy with my run -- considering how tired I was and how hilly the course was, I was satisfied with my pace.

Stop and stretch as soon as my foot started tingling. I need more hill work, for sure. More long bike-run bricks, too.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around a little, stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly not knowing what to expect, I think. My training was not optimal, and I have a better idea of what's required, now. But for my first triathlon, I'm pretty happy.

Event comments:

Take my rating with a grain of salt -- I have nothing to compare the race to. But I enjoyed it!

Last updated: 2004-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:26 | 1050 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/111
Performance: Average
Suit: Running bra and Orca tri briefs
Course: Triangular course in lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:38:16 | 30 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Overall: 29/111
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops of a 15-mile course. First 5 miles were pretty hilly, I think there were 5 major hills on that segment. Rest of the course was gently rolling to flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:54 | 06.5 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 16/111
Performance: Good
HR never topped 175, although I know from previous races (not tris, just running races) that when I'm pushing at race pace it's around 185. Cardiac drift? Want to find out more about that.
Course: Very hilly. Very, very hilly. And did I mention hilly?
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-06-21 7:47 PM

Veteran
MO
Subject: Quartermax

2004-06-21 8:04 PM
in reply to: #32865

Subject: RE: Quartermax
Nice job!! And what a placement... for your first at that.  Congrats.
2004-06-22 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Wow, great race! Congratulations!

Kelly
2004-06-22 8:42 PM

angie:
your times were all GOOD!! get to the front on the swim next time. hope
you continue to have a good season.
2004-06-22 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Awesome race Angie! Wow! Braver than me to take on an Oly-type race for the first one. Keep up the good work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quartermax Rss Feed