General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf & Turf Aquathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf & Turf Aquathon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, CO
United States
D3 Multisport
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I need to find a way to get to the race faster since I was slightly late again this week. A little better, but still not enough time. Got checked in, laid out my stuff and that was about it.
Event warmup:

Went for about a 1/2-mile jog to see if I was going to have any issues with my knee and it went well. No pain, etc. Got in my wetsuit and got in the water briefly, but they had already called everyone out of the water so I didn't get a swim warm-up. Next time I'm going to be there early enough to get everything in.
Swim
  • 14m 20s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

I wussed out on the 1500m swim and only did the 750m swim. My thought was that since the 5430 Sprint is 750 meters, I'd use this as prep for Sunday and see what I need to do differently. The swim was pretty good. Started near the front and didn't have any real problems for about the first 100 meters. Soon after, I got sandwiched between a guy and a girl, which lasted about 50 meters before I held back for a second and then went to the outside. I was out of everyone's draft, but there were no bodies to contend with so it was easier for me. Once at the turn around, I stood up for a second to look back and see where I was going (since my navigation typically sucks), and then took off. Breathing was pretty good, and even my sighting wasn't bad. I started out trying every 5th stroke, and then did every 3rd. I never felt like I was off course or having to make serious corrections. About halfway back in, I started feeling like throwing up, but it was the Gatorade that I drank on my way to the race, so a few starchburps later, I was good to go. Good reminder as to why I switched from Gatorade to Cytomax in the first place. Anyway, the rest of the swim was uneventful and felt good. I'm sure the wind helped my time on the way back in, but I'll take what I can get.
What would you do differently?:

Not drink Gatorade before the swim. Otherwise, it was my first swim in the sleeveless wetsuit and that was basically just confirmation of what everyone else had already said - it feels good to have range of motion in the shoulders. I felt like I could reach better, etc.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

My T1 time's a rough guess. It may be off slightly, but I know my swim time and run time, so I'm not too concerned. I know I was slow, b/c I walked up to my area and as I was taking off my wetsuit, I thought I was going to fall over from dizziness so I sat down to put on my shoes. Even while sitting I felt like someone just punched me in the head, but I'd guess a lot of people felt the same way.

Nothing - I wasn't in a huge hurry.
Run
  • 23m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Was a little disoriented at first from the swim to run transition so I didn't take any water. Turns out I should have b/c a half mile in I was dying. The wind sucked, but I wasn't pushing hard. I was really just using the run to get in a decent Z2-3 effort, which I accomplished. I only intended to be Z2 on the way out, but again, the combination of heat and wind pushed me up to Z3 even though I wasn't pushing too hard. Once at the turn around I felt a lot better (after water) and was able to maintain what felt like a comfortable Z3 pace on the way back in. I wasn't concerned about my split time since I was just running it in prep for Sunday.

Drink water on the way out.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some oranges, drank Gatorade, and won a visor.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Elements, but everybody had the same conditions so there's no complaining about that.

Event comments:

Good time drinking beers and hanging out afterwards, per usual.

Last updated: 2006-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:20 | 750 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  01:20
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:23:25 | 03.1 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, rolling hill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-15 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Surf & Turf Aquathon

2006-06-15 11:30 AM
in reply to: #455228

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Surf & Turf Aquathon
Good race and good prep for Sunday.  That's a nice pace considering you were cruising in Z3 and it was hotter than **** out there.
2006-06-15 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Nice race last night, although I still think you're a whimp for not doing the 1500...    I was a little surprised to see you cruising by on the run.  You looked good!  Recover well and see you on Sunday (Or Saturday at the packet pick -up?)  and BTW - very glad that the knee was good to GO!

2006-06-15 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Wow - Great race - even before considering the sucky weather conditions.  I can't wait to see what happens on Sunday!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf & Turf Aquathon Rss Feed