Overall Rank = 36/325
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/71
Swim
  • 27m 8s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, I felt good but apparently didn't perform all that well, as I was more than a minute faster last time I did this race and there was a swim (last year it was run-bike-run). I think my sighting was bad and it effected my time.

Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Bike
  • 1h 07m 22s
  • 22.3 miles
  • 19.86 mile/hr
Comments:

So, as I was coming out of transition I could hardly see because my sunglasses were covered with dew. I had put my helmet on with those sunglasses on, and just as I mount my bike someone says to me "Your helmet is on backwards!". Ugh. That was a first. How stupid of me! So, I spent a good 20-30 seconds turning my helmet around and futzing with the buckle before I got started, which obviously effected my bike time. Once I got going things were smooth. The course was littered with leaves and sticks - debris from yesterday's storms. I had to stay to the left of the cones often either because of the debris or in order to pass people, because the lanes were so small. I felt I hit my stride on the bike on the second and third laps, and my Garmin (which I started after the helmet debacle) told me I averaged 20.1, so I was reasonably happy with that. Although, last year in the Duathlon I averaged 20.8 on a nearly identical course. Oh well...lack of bike training.

Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Run
  • 46m 17s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

So by the time I cruised into transition I had put the helmet issues out of my head, and I thought "now if I can only remember to pop my Garmin off my bike before the run". I got my shoes on quickly, grabbed my hat and numbers belt and was off. Only - of course, I had forgotten my watch! Ran back to get that as I hate not knowing if I'm slacking, so that cost me probably 20 seconds. And in the process of grabbing it quickly I messed up the Auto Multisport mode and had to reset it to run mode while running. Ugh.
After all that, it took me a while to get into a good rhythm, as there is one big hill right at the start and I was really sucking air going up it. I started to settle down for a while, but at about mile 2 I had to pull back because the course is slightly uphill for most of the first half. Once I got past the half-way mark and hit the last uphill crest I started to cruise on the mostly-downhill second half. The big hill right before the stadium was tough but I managed it well. However, as I came around the track to finish up I didn't have much of a kick.

Post race
Event comments:

So, I left all I had out there but the results just weren't that satisfying. Yes, it was 30 seconds better than my 2010 time and technically a PR, but I just really felt that I had the ability to go sub-2:20. Oh well, I guess I can use that as motivation for next year.

Last updated: 2012-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:08 | 1760 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/71
Overall: 22/325
Performance: Average
Suit: XTerra Vortex 3 fullsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:22 | 22.3 miles | 19.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/71
Overall: 99/325
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:17 | 06.21 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/71
Overall: 47/325
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-10 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Subject: Reston Triathlon

2012-09-11 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4404101

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Reston Triathlon

Sounds like a calamity of equipment issues!  Way to persevere though!  

Bike course was a mess... thankfully the volunteers did a pretty decent job cleaning things up, but it was still a mess. 

2012-09-11 6:17 PM
in reply to: #4406347

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Congrats.  Some day you will graduate to the big boy race in DC.  Roads in DC were clear of debris.

I heard that the swag was outstanding this year at Reston.  The one year that I DID Reston, it was just a frigging beach towel.

2012-09-12 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4406614

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA

Thanks guys.  @Mike - I would like to do Nation's one day, but I did the spring version twice (2009 Dextro ITU and 2010 DC Tri) so I'm not itching to do it that too bad.  Although boming around DC streets with no cars around is a seriously good time I have to admit...

Yes, the swag was awesome.  Fleece running jacket, nice running hat and gloves

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reston Triathlon Rss Feed