Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "THAT'S why I don't run..." Stupid comments from non-exercisers... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-09-13 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4409675

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: "THAT'S why I don't run..." Stupid comments from non-exercisers...

My lead engineer used to mock me for running at lunch. All the usual excuses -- too hot out, too cold out, bad for the knees, you'll wear your joints out.

Then his kids did the Chicago Marathon last year. He got all inspired. Started running. He'd come in a brag about how he ran 3 miles before work (on an elliptical machine... bet at least he's doing something). Well, he started running outside this past spring. Now he's up to 8-9 mile long runs on the weekend, with his sights set on a half marathon soon, and doing the Chicago Marathon in 2013 with his kids.

He says he's never felt better, and his knees are in the best shape they've ever been.

And he rode his bike in to work this morning for the first time.

So there's hope for every one.

2012-09-13 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4410137

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
siouxcityhawk - 2012-09-13 4:32 PM

"How do you find enjoyment in running?"  - Ok, maybe a valid question sometimes?

"Why do you get up at 5:00 AM to run and not just sleep in?"

"How did you lose so much weight?  It wasn't from running was it?"

My favorite:  "There is no way my knees can handle running.  I weigh too much right now."

That's not an invalid excuse. I'm sure if their knees hurt and they have a lot of extra weight, running will hurt them more. That's the kind of person that could start out with walking, then walking fast, then walk-run, and before you know it, they like (or at least tolerate) running.

2012-09-13 4:16 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

"I'm too old for that stuff." 

Dude, I'm ten years older than you.

2012-09-13 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
akustix - 2012-09-13 12:40 PM

So the other day, a good friend of mine was out running in the morning, while she was out of town for a meeting, in an area she knows well. That morning she tripped and did a full-on face plant. Ripped open her face, although luckily didn't break her nose, ended up with a gash that was not stitchable because of its location and some significant bruising... 

After she returned from the Emergency Dept, she had plenty of idiots who made comments like "THAT's why I don't run..." 

Yes, I am sure in the vast mental calculus that went on inside your head, you finally came down to conclusion, "Well, that's it, I might one day trip and fall, tearing open my face. That's why I won't run." 

Moron. Keep your comments to yourself... Go ahead and justify your sedentary lifestyle while kicking her when she is down. Later on, tell me if the coronary was worth not running... That's why I run.

What was the stupidest kind of statement along those lines that you have heard?

BTW... my friend is fine... She stumbled into a gas station with blood pouring down her face and they helped her get to the hospital. Thank God for the kindness and compassion of strangers.  

Your attitude is amazing!

Edited by RushTogether 2012-09-13 4:49 PM
2012-09-13 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4410224

User image

Queen BTich
Fokker416 - 2012-09-13 5:16 PM

"I'm too old for that stuff." 

Dude, I'm ten years older than you.

This happened to me this week!

"I've taken up fishing and golf. I had to find sports that I could grow old with." - from a guy in his early 30's. Definitely under age 33.

Me: "REALLY? You're serious? Lift some weights. Run. Play a team sport."
Him: "I used to play basketball, it got too hard on my body, but I'm gaining weight. So, I'm not going to hurt myself anymore, my sports I can grow old with."

Me: "So, you're lazy. You want to sit your a$$ in a boat or a golf cart."

Him: blinking.

He was completely serious in his logic! Basketball and running were too "hard" on his body. And then he was talking to someone else about his weight gain 5min later! That he could be 'active' for more years fishing & golfing. (yes, I know people walk a lot in golf, but he was complaining about gaining weight at the same time).  

2012-09-13 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4409843

User image

Bronze member
lisac957 - 2012-09-13 1:35 PM

"I don't even like to DRIVE that far!"

You know what? I don't either!

I've said that one. It was in reply to a friend of mine who always likes to tell me what I should do - "You should do an IronMan." Cue - I don't even like to drive that far....

What, not funny?

2012-09-13 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4409766

User image

Bronze member
ligersandtions - 2012-09-13 1:12 PM

Not running, but riding....

I got hit while out on a bike ride back in July.  I then started a new job in August and some lady asked me what happened.  I explained my situation and she said, "Yeah, working out is actually more dangerous than not working out."  She continued on some more before saying that if she hit a cyclist, she wouldn't feel bad because it was their fault that they were out there and she couldn't see them well.  Needless to say I was flabbergasted....and being in a new job, I didn't feel like I could put her in her place.

Unrelated to that, some guy was warning me of the dangers of drinking too much water (you could die from that, you know!) while he was putting chew in his lip just this morning.  I don't understand people...

Wow, this is kind of sickening.

2012-09-13 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4409713

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

mr2tony - 2012-09-13 12:54 PM ``I have kids. No time.'' Um, I know PLENTY of people with kids who do marathons, ironman, etc. Yes I get it, kids take up a lot of time and you may not have AS MUCH time. You CAN find time to squeeze in a 30-minute run or an hour on the treadmill a day if you make it a priority.

I most certainly do.

2012-09-13 6:18 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Sorry to hear your friend crashed out, but very glad they are doing okay!

The only thing I've heard is the ol' comment of "I don't have the time".  Yeah, right.

2012-09-13 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I have gotten the "you go out and do the running, etc, and then you PAY to do all of that at once? Ugh, no thanks, I have more important things to do." She had asked how I had lost 30+ pounds, I had simply said "training for triathlons and racing in a few".

I also have heard (MANY TIMES) "yeah, that's SO not my thing." 

Honestly, I don't really mind anyone's personal opinion, if they want to chill and not be healthy, that's their choice. When they just make some comment about what I do, I just tell them that it makes me happy and gets rid of my stress.

2012-09-13 8:04 PM

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere

Of all people, the former pro cyclist I work with who has injured the ever-loving heck out of himself in crashes:

"It's not a matter of IF you'll be injured running, it's a matter of WHEN" as his excuse for not running.

He even tried to talk me into just cycling, not ever running again.  Perhaps I should take the X-ray picture of his shoulder after his last crash and show that to him the next time he comments.

2012-09-13 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

My wife, Amy, has some hilarious examples of people that call her up for weight reduction hypnotherapy.

"So I lie in the Lazy-Boy recliner, and you hypnotize me so that my body loses weight?"
"No.  You lie in the Lazy-Boy recliner, and I hypnotize you to subconsciously start living a healthy lifestyle which involves eating healthy and exercise."
"Wait!  What?!  Exercise?!  I thought you lose weight through the hypnosis.  You're going to make me exercise?"
"And eat healthy.  Sorry honey.  But there ain't any other way to do it but for healthy eating and exercise.  There's no pill or magic method to make it come off.  It takes work and you have to WANT to make it happen."
"Uhhhh...  Let me think about it."
"No.  Don't even bother.  I can tell by this conversation that you're not ready to be healthy.  You don't want to lose weight.  It hasn't clicked with you yet.  If it's something you want and you're struggling, I can make it happen for you.  But if you don't even want it, well then nothing's going to help you.  Call me back when you actually WANT to lose the weight."

2012-09-13 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4409843

User image

Elite
lisac957 - 2012-09-13 1:35 PM

"I don't even like to DRIVE that far!"

You know what? I don't either!

Awesome!
2012-09-13 9:27 PM

User image

Franklin
I'm surrounded by fat that list every excuse as to why they can't/won't/don't diet/exercise. One guy...ugg, never mind. It frustrates me to no end to have to listen to their excuses anytime somebody comes by and wants to talk about how I lost so much weight - my runs and whatnot.
2012-09-14 3:47 AM

User image

Regular
Las Cruces, New Mexico

"yeah, yeah, you can run, but how much can you bench press?"

I work with a bunch of muscle heads "wanna be", they think any run over 1.5 miles is ridiculous and they even have their Musclemag and Men's Fitness magazines to prove it, really?

So their excuse: I can't run it would affect my lifts.

2012-09-14 5:39 AM
in reply to: #4410861

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
DaniD - 2012-09-14 4:47 AM

I work with a bunch of muscle heads "wanna be", they think any run over 1.5 miles is ridiculous and they even have their Musclemag and Men's Fitness magazines to prove it, really?

Well let's be fair. Plenty of SBR fanatics say "I can't lift, it would affect my racing." On a completely different note, I am realizing in this thread, is that all the years I spent living completely insanely, I never once thought or expressed any of these excuses. Really. I always believed the day would come when I took charge and changed. I always knew an active lean person was there inside me, ready to tear it up. I finally let him loose, and we're working on getting there. It really is about the mind first.

2012-09-14 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
YOU PAID 682 DOLLARS TO SIGN UP FOR IRONMAN WISCONSIN!!!

Heard that a lot this week. I can't even explain to them what it means to me.
2012-09-14 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4410892

User image

Expert
Central Mass
TheClaaaw - 2012-09-14 3:39 AM

Well let's be fair. Plenty of SBR fanatics say "I can't lift, it would affect my racing."

But, for fairness, both groups are correct.

If you are lifting to get into beauty pageants, err lifting/Mr. Universe type competitions, running is not what you want to do to be what the judges want.

Likewise, if you are an endurance athlete, lifting doesn't make you any faster (yes, that's a whole thread in itself).  The data shows an extra hour or two SBR-ing a day will make you faster than a hour lifting would.

2012-09-14 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4411013

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Bevie - 2012-09-14 8:49 AM YOU PAID 682 DOLLARS TO SIGN UP FOR IRONMAN WISCONSIN!!!

It still can't believe how much I paid for Tremblant! hahahaha - But like you I would do it again in a heartbeat but it's still is a lot of money. 

Let's not even go to the place of how much all the training, lead up races, accommodations etc added up to. I don't even want to know.

2012-09-14 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

"You paid how much for your bike?  I didn't pay that much for my first car."  Neither did I.

"I don't have the time to exercise."  What time do you get up on weekdays and weekends, if I slept in until 11 on weekends I wouldn't have the time to do anything.

"I tried running and biking a few times and it didn't help me lose weight."  How many times 2? 3?

The worst...  At a family function a while back a family member told me that car/bike accidents are ALWAYS the cyclists fault and that the cyclist is responsible for avoiding cars even if the driver breaks the law.  I just turned and walked away.  Of course this family member is in the obese category.

2012-09-14 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4411029

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
scorpio516 - 2012-09-14 7:58 AM

Well let's be fair. Plenty of SBR fanatics say "I can't lift, it would affect my racing."

If you are lifting to get into beauty pageants, err lifting/Mr. Universe type competitions, running is not what you want to do to be what the judges want.

I have some friends who do natural body building and they do talk about cardio and running. Not nearly as much as protein shakes and which body group they are working that day, but they DO do cardio/running to burn calories/fat as part of the overall lifestyle.

/nitpick

2012-09-14 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4411079

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
juniperjen - 2012-09-14 8:32 AM

Bevie - 2012-09-14 8:49 AM YOU PAID 682 DOLLARS TO SIGN UP FOR IRONMAN WISCONSIN!!!

It still can't believe how much I paid for Tremblant! hahahaha - But like you I would do it again in a heartbeat but it's still is a lot of money. 

Let's not even go to the place of how much all the training, lead up races, accommodations etc added up to. I don't even want to know.

I added IM costs up once, just for giggles for a thread here talking about IM costs. 
No, you don't want to know, and it didn't even include the large items I already had (bike, helmet, wetsuit, etc.)!

2012-09-14 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4409826

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

DanielG - 2012-09-13 2:31 PM I would guess they're just as tired of hearing why you do run. They probably think a lot of the holier than thou comments are indicative of what kind of personality you have to have in order to run and don't want to take the chance of becoming such a jerk.

I love working out, I love the lifestyle, the planning, the research, trial and error etc.  Then after a great workout or race, rehashing with those you shared the experience with is awesome...

However I have realized how bringing up a conversation on minor fitness stuff like a run or bike workout, or experience on the bike (narrowly missed a rabbit on the trail type thing) around those who don't exercise makes some feel inadequate and then resentful....

Right wrong or indifferent, I only initiate conversations about workouts or fitness related topics with those that share my interest level...It's just easier that way...IF someone asks me my thoughts or wants to talk about fitness related topics then I'm more than happy to talk about it but ONLY if they initiate...

2012-09-14 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4411268

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
lisac957 - 2012-09-14 8:44 AM

I have some friends who do natural body building and they do talk about cardio and running. Not nearly as much as protein shakes and which body group they are working that day, but they DO do cardio/running to burn calories/fat as part of the overall lifestyle.

/nitpick

In the spirit of nit-picking...

My wife does body building shows. A good majority of the people she does these shows with don't run and shouldn't run. Their "cardio" is walking or using a stair climber.

A few can get away with running, but for most of them it is counter to their goals. If my wife started running she would lose muscle very quickly, she even had to slow down to a snail's pace on the stair climber to keep from losing muscle.

One of her friends that does these shows with her spent all summer training for a marathon, her coach was peeved and she did not lose much fat that whole summer. She quit running and focused on weights and stair climber for 3 weeks and lost more weight than she had in 4 months of running.

Obviously each body is different. But the general rule in her world is cardio = walking uphill or stair climber, running just makes you lose muscle and gives you a loose butt.

2012-09-14 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4411490

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Aarondb4 - 2012-09-14 11:25 AM
lisac957 - 2012-09-14 8:44 AM

/nitpick

In the spirit of nit-picking...

My wife does body building shows. A good majority of the people she does these shows with don't run and shouldn't run. Their "cardio" is walking or using a stair climber.

A few can get away with running, but for most of them it is counter to their goals. If my wife started running she would lose muscle very quickly, she even had to slow down to a snail's pace on the stair climber to keep from losing muscle.

One of her friends that does these shows with her spent all summer training for a marathon, her coach was peeved and she did not lose much fat that whole summer. She quit running and focused on weights and stair climber for 3 weeks and lost more weight than she had in 4 months of running.

Obviously each body is different. But the general rule in her world is cardio = walking uphill or stair climber, running just makes you lose muscle and gives you a loose butt.

Good point - now that I think back, the comments on running were asking where to find good uphills around here. And they've made it clear that the stair stepper is the main cardio machine they approve of. Such a different world!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "THAT'S why I don't run..." Stupid comments from non-exercisers... Rss Feed  

of 4