General Discussion Race Reports! » The Portland Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Portland Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portland, Oregon
United States
Athletes Lounge
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 49s
Overall Rank = 110/307
Age Group = 55 - 59
Age Group Rank = 6/16
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special but missed the Starbucks, they opened at 7. Picked up the race packet the night before & drove the run & Bike courses. Really glad I did.
Event warmup:

None, swim maybe for 5 minutes but had to wait an hour for my wave so didn't think it was worth it.
Swim
  • 37m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Didn't expect the current to be so strong. Went to far out in the river & off course at 1st, and couldn't see the buoy as it was behind the sun. Took forever to get to the turn-around due to the current, but rocked coming back. Also ran into a kayak coming back as they where going to help someone, which shook me up a little.
What would you do differently?:

More practice with paddles, more arm strength for the current. Swim was 8+ minutes slower than the Olympic the week before.
Transition 1
  • 04m 23s
Comments:

Long run from the boat ramp to the bike rack. Beware of the divets in the grass.

Run faster
Bike
  • 1h 06m 57s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Big hill coming out of the T1, then a couple of small hills when you go over railroad tracks & bridges. Overall great ride. Was really surprised when coming back into T2 as I couldn't see anyone in front of me or behind me. Hardly any bikes in the transition area.

Nothing, was really happy about this ride, one of my best all year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Couldn't get the Garmin off the bike, took at least an extra 10 seconds messing around with it. Otherwise it was good.

Happy with it.
Run
  • 52m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

When I got to T2 there where very few bikes in the rack so knew that I needed to haul ass out of there. Going up the 1st mile hill was just nasty (10% grade?), and suspect that I wasn't paying attention & maybe dragging my left foot a little and caught the curb and landed on my left knee. The folks who helped me back up where both in my age group and where laughing that they should push me back down so I wouldn't pass them! Got back up walked about 1/3 of a mile & started running again once I felt OK.

Pay attention to the curbs and ruts in the sidewalk better.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing, went straight for the medial tent as I was still bleeding from my knee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tripping over the curb. 1st time visit to the medical tent from my knee, shoulder & arm scrapes! Also my swim was not good either.

Event comments:

Good race, odd run venue, wish they could get a lane in the street, and don't understand why they can't as they use the same street as the Portland Marathon. Will most likely do this race again in 2013, if I don't do Leadman instead.

Last updated: 2012-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:08 | 1640 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 151/307
Performance: Below average
Suit: full
Course: Against the current on the Willamette river, underneath the St. John's bridge to the railroad bridge. Rectangle from the boat ramp back to the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:23
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:57 | 24.85 miles | 22.27 mile/hr
Overall: 70/307
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out and back with 1 loop when you Portland ave back 4 miles and then back to Portland ave (12 miles out then 4 mile loop)
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:12 | 06.21 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 163/307
Performance: Average
Tripped and fell on the curb at mile 1
Course: Up & out of the park, nasty hill on the 1st mile. Flat mile 2- mile 5, then up & over the St. John Bridge, then drop like rock back to the finish line. Note that you are on Sidewalks through residential areas for 5 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-30 5:19 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: The Portland Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Portland Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed