Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 22s
Overall Rank = 80/663
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/107
Pre-race routine:

Early one, up at 4:30. Cup o joe, PB on a bagel
Event warmup:

My fav, a 10 minute swim to get acclimated.
Sipped a bottle of water, passed on the cliff bar.
Saw Jose (jmf-tt) right before the start.
Swim
  • 14m 25s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

3rd wave off. Wide starting area, most were to the right. I started in the front left. Second race in a row I had NO breathing problems at the start! Since everyone was on my right I was able to make a stright line for the first buoy. Breathing was heavy so I intentionally slowed down and focused on my bilateral. Passed some from the previous wave. It was crowded at the first buoy so I breast stroked around it. then got right back to it. My sighting was spot on, much better than last week.
What would you do differently?:

Cud have gone a little faster but I was trying to get my breathing under control.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Don't know what happened here. Had the rubber band on the left shoe in T1, when I got to the mount area it was gone! Sabatage maybe? Still managed to get the left foot in, pushed off and followed w/ the right. got up to speed pretty quickly.

Overall happy w/ this transition and the shoe on the bike thing. Going to keep practicing.

Double check the rubber band I guess (or find the guy with the scissors!)
Bike
  • 51m 2s
  • 17 miles
  • 19.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Ah, to average 20 mph, finally! Harriman training rides are paying off in spades. Felt like I cuda pushed a little harder but I was trying to save something for the run. Passed quite a few people. Had a good battle w/ two guys that I was eventually able to leave behind. Only passed by a couple of those biker maniac types. Can still work on going faster up all inclines. One bottle of Perpteum (2 scoops), no aerobottle seems to be perfect for this distance. All in all a fun, fast ride. 20 mph, yes (o.k 19.99, almost)

maybe push a little harder
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

loving the feet on the shoes dismount! a real good T2. managed a Carb Boom on the way out.

nothing
Run
  • 36m 46s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I've made my biggest improvement. Got off to fast start, legs were still spinning from the bike so I let'em go. Felt good and was able to stay in Zone 4 most of the way. Started passing a lot of people, something I'm not used to! I like the age on calves thing especially when I was passing 30 -39 yr olds that started 5 minutes before me. Seemed to give me energy! Met up w/ Jose about half way through. He heard me chatting w/ a volunteer than gave me a pat as I passed. I was in a zone so didn't stop to chat. I know Jose was tired from Eagleman cuz on a normal day I won't pass him on the run. Felt a bit of a hammy cramp so I downed an Enduralyte and never felt it again. I realy like those things. Felt good at the 4 mile marker and decided to push it. With a 1/2 mile to go I felt a guy on my heels and I didn't want to let him pass. But he did, I kept him close than at 500 yards I went all out and passed him back. at about 100 yards I thought maybe I went too soon but I was able to hold on and finish ahead of him. That was fun!

I drenched myself with a full cup of water. so much so it wet my socks. Next time I'll drink a little first. Otherwise a great run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, chatted with Jose for aminute than headed home.

Event comments:

First time at Wykoff. A large race, but run very well. I really liked everything about it and will defintely return. I was shooting for 1:45 but I'm happy w/ my time. I was a little slower on the swim than last week but I continue to work on the bilateral and I know that will only make stonger by August.

Everything seems to be coming together for me. I'm real happy with the results (just missed my 2nd top ten AG finish). More importanly tho, all facets including conditioning are improving. I had a blast and good results to boot. I'm not sure I can maintain that run pace for 13.1 miles but the bike felt about right. I've got one more tune-up before Timeberman!!

Last updated: 2006-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:25 | 880 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/107
Overall: 95/663
Performance: Good
Time off HRM. Official time of 16:05 includes 1/4 mile or so run up beach to timimg mat.
Suit: IM Instinct Sleevelss
Course: Triangle - left turns
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:02 | 17 miles | 19.99 mile/hr
Overall: 0/663
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Mostly residential. some busy intersections but lots of police and volunteers. a nice ride, no hills to speak of.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:46 | 05 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Overall: 104/663
Performance: Good
Course: mostly flat through nice residental area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-19 9:35 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: Wyckoff/Franklin Lakes Triathlon

2006-06-19 10:18 AM
in reply to: #458560

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Wyckoff/Franklin Lakes Triathlon

Great race.  Those are all long distances for a sprint.  Congratulations on all of your hard work paying off, you are really getting fast.

2006-06-19 10:27 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Excellent race! 

You're going to be carrying some serious speed & fitness into Timberman.

2006-06-19 11:57 AM

Pro
Andover
Dude, I'm thinkin' Timberman isn't going to be a problem for you at all! Excellent race and thanks for the report.
2006-06-19 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Awesome race! Your run times were awesome.
2006-06-19 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Jersey
Way to go Mark, it was great seeing you as always and hanging out. Hey I was was of those 30-39ers that you passed! Your training is spot on and your going to do awesome at Timberman stick with the plan it's working. I'll see you Harriman this weekend. LMK Sat or Sun morning would be best for me. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wyckoff/Franklin Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed