Smokey Valley Athletic Foundation
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 55s
Overall Rank = 23/27
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

I stayed up way too late last night -- past 2:00 a.m. Antsy about the weather. I finally checked the weather one last time and decided it was something I couldn't control, and went to sleep. 5:30 came very early. I hit the snooze twice. That was a mistake, but it ended up okay.

I took a shower to wake up, made some oatmeal and coffee, and got dressed. I had decided, based on the weather the night before, to wear an underarmour turtle neck and long tights. I actually had them on, and then thought I should check the weather again. It was 60 degrees out! Yikes. Close call. I kept the tights but changed into a no-sleeve running shirt.

It took longer to get to Lindsborg than I thought it would, so I didn't get there until 7:30. Since I was driving through torrential rain and lightning to get there, I kept telling myself it would be okay -- that the race would be delayed. I didn't get to the race start until 7:30, and I still saw people milling about, so that was very close. Too close. I walked into the building into a slightly heated pre-race meeting. The race director had the satellite weather image up on the wall, and it looked bad. She really wanted the 15k people to do three loops of the 5k route, so we would be in town if things turned bad again. That suggestion didn't go over very well. She conceded to letting us run the route as described, but threatened that she would pull us off the course if lightning re-entered the area.

Ten minutes later, we were at the start line, ready to go. Everyone lined up together, since we had delayed. So I was in with one mile, 5k, and 15k runners. There was no way to know which was which. I positioned myself near the back, the gun went off, and we started.

Run
  • 1h 39m 55s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I arrived late, but fortunately, the race was delayed 10 minutes. The plan was to start out easy -- I was targeting 11 minute miles to start -- and I hit those. I was running near the back of the pack, and at the turn off for the 1 mile and 5k race, I found myself alone and at the very back (read: last person) in the 15k race, by quite a bit. I tried not to be discouraged.

I passed the first person between two and three miles. She had been running pretty steadily, but she started taking walking breaks, and I didn't -- and didn't plan to, except through the water stations.

The winner came off the hill and passed me on his way back to Lindsborg about a half a mile before the gates to Coronado Heights. He was flying. Then began a steady stream of people heading back to town. But I didn't lose hope. I knew going into this that I was going to be at the back, and at this point, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be very last, so I took comfort in that.

My plan was to walk up the steeper portions of the hill, but Salty had suggested that I try to run it. As I hit the hill, I remember that she told me that my fitness was there and that I would be able to run it, so I dug in and ran. At each turn, I told myself, "This isn't so bad. You can keep doing this." My family and I have hiked around the heights quite a bit, so I knew exactly what this road looked like. I knew when I was at the half way point up (3 minutes), so I told myself, "Only 3 more minutes, and then you'll be at the top. You can keep doing this." And I did. I almost did a double fist pump when I reached the top -- I probably would have except that there was a water station up there. So I remained calm and cool. I made it to the top in a little over 6 minutes.

Then I started down. I remember Yanti said not to put on the brakes, to just run down. So I kept my arms out for stability, and just let my legs go. I didn't try to hold back; I just tried not to fall. I made it down the hill in just under five minutes, and, to my surprise, I passed someone on the hill. He looked like he was really suffering --

After I came off the hill, I saw a couple running about half a mile in front of me (maybe a little less). I decided to target them. I thought it would be amazing to have four people slower instead of just two -- although I was a little nervous that the guy I passed on the hill would pass me back once we were on the flats. He never did, and in fact, I put quite a bit more distance between the two of us.

And this is the most amazing part. I slowly gained on the couple in front of me -- a man and a woman. To me, it looked like he wanted to take off and go faster, but he didn't want to leave her. He was trying to pull her along with his pace, but she wasn't taking it. I passed them with a little less than two miles to go, and finished 90 seconds in front of them. Once we got to the paved road, I really picked up my pace.

Finished with 20 seconds to spare on my goal of 1:40. (Edit -- official results came out this morning -- I finished with just 5 seconds to spare)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I ran this as I planned, even better than planned since I ran up the hill. My first 5k race in April 2011, after finishing the C25k was in 34 minutes. My pace for this 15k was faster. So I am heading in the right direction. I am very satisfied. This was well run for me, especially compared to the 13.1 last month. This was a confidence booster heading into the 25k in November.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched. Ate a banana and drank some Gatorade. Started getting cold, so while we waited for the rest of the 15k people to come in, I went to the car and changed out of my running shirt to the long sleeved race shirt and my jacket. Went to the coffee shop to get a London Fog. Walked out with my London Fog just as the last 15k person was coming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more long runs, and I need more hills.

Last updated: 2012-09-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:55 | 9.32 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 23/27
Performance: Good
First 4 miles = 44:39 1.16 miles (up Coronado Heights and back down) = 11:33 Last 4.14 miles = 43:27
Course: Leave downtown Lindsborg on paved road. Move to dirt road at just under one mile. Run dirt/sandy rural roads to the entrance of Coronado Heights. Run up and down a poorly asphalted 200 ft elevation gain hill. Run back to Lindsborg, the last two miles on paved highway and city streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-10-13 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: Coronado Heights Run

2012-10-13 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4452725

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Coronado Heights Run
Nice job on the run.  Need to move that alarm clock away from you reach though.  lol
2012-10-13 5:50 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Nicely done and congrats on conquering the nemesis hill!!!
2012-10-13 10:52 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

Felicia! DOUBLE FIST PUMP, girl!!!  You are awesome!!

After a crappy night's sleep and some CRAZY weather/start issues, you ROCKED IT!  I'm so proud of you!!  I think it's really cool that you headed Salty and Yanti's advice and pushed up the hill AND down it!  And really, really great job realing in those two near the end.  Great race execution=great results!  you ARE headed in the right direction!  Nice work, Manatee!

2012-10-14 1:24 AM

User image

Master
WAY TO GO!  Great job, Felicia.  So glad that this was a better experience for you.  Way to find your strong and get up that hill, girl!
2012-10-14 12:57 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
AWESOME JOB, FELICIA!!!!  Way to show the hill who is boss (you are!!).  You should be very proud of your results and your progress.  Very cool how you were slowly reeling people in and passing them, too.  Well done!

2012-10-14 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Good job Felicia! Hit the hill, power up and fly down. Way to go! And I (along with everyone else) are fist pumping for you.
2012-10-15 12:06 PM

User image

Seattle

Amazing job! I knew you could conquer that hill (up AND down!!) It's all about letting your body flow down hills and essentially enabling rather than holding it back. 

I'm so happy for you.

Mmmm London fog!

2012-10-15 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Nice job Felicia! You stayed flexible through the weather issues and mastered the hill.  You are getting to be quite the runner!
2012-10-15 2:57 PM

User image

Melon Presser

OMG I'm so awesome I made your race report!!! (I get really excited about these things). And if I'm awesome enough to BE in your race report, think about how awesome YOU are for having done this race after a rough week mentally and physically, and a really wacky day of and start.

Phenomenal execution.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Coronado Heights Run Rss Feed