General Discussion Race Reports! » Kluane Chilkat International Bike Relay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kluane Chilkat International Bike Relay - CycleTour

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hanes Junction, Yukon
Canada
Precipitation
Total Time = 11h 55m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 2 man team
Age Group Rank = 41/49
Pre-race routine:

Decided on this event as my first long distance bike tour due to the time and location. The tour is located along the road from Hanes, Yukon to Hanes Junction, AK next to the Kluane National Park. It also worked out that it can be done solo or in teams of 2, 4 and 8 with most of the teams being 4 and 8 people. Steve and I chose the 2 man and whoever wasn't riding was driving support and watching the kids.

This race was part of a 2 week vacation our family had planned. We spent several days before slowly working our way towards Hanes, Yukon (10 hours away from Anchorage)and camping along the way. 2 of the days spent camping in the Wrangell St. Elias National Park - beautiful, but would have been absolutely spectacular if the weather was better.

Made it to Hanes and the camp site the afternoon before and went out to search for the only grocery store in town. We had planned on buying some fresh food that we had depleted on the way down. Turns out the grocery store closed sometime between last year and now. The only food to be had was from a gas station. Bought a few $4 32 oz Gatorades and called it good. Had plenty of canned goods so no worries.

Camping before an event can sometimes be a good thing - not this time. We ended up next to an 8 man team that decided to party all night. I sure hope the kids were asleep when they started talking about their experiences with hookers in SE Asia. Finally fell asleep sometime around 2 am.
Event warmup:

Woke up early and started to get Steve ready to go. He had to be at the line for the 8 am start as he was doing the first 4 legs. After he left the kids and I had about an hour to get everything packed up and be at the start in the car when they opened the roads back up. The road closure really messed everything up as there was a looong line of cars for the race stacked up. The first checkpoint was pure chaos with all the 8 man teams trying to park. Things went much more smoothly after those first 20 miles. Met up with Steve every hour or so for more water, and dry clothes. Spent the entire morning driving with the kids which is not the best "warm up" for a long ride.
Bike
  • 06m 27s
  • 78 miles
  • 725.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Started the ride around 3 in the afternoon - didn't have any type of stretching and had done a pretty poor job of eating and drinking throughout the day. The first 30 to 40 miles was almost all uphill (over 3000' of climbing). My quads seized up almost immediately and my ass was in a lot of pain. Finally felt better after about an hour, but thought I was in big trouble at first.

After the summit there was a long down hill stretch that would of been so awesome if it hadn't been raining/sleeting. Was amazing to go from subalpine tundra to lush vegetation as I descended!

Last 20 miles followed the river into Hanes Junction, the rain stopped and except for some occasional wind gusts the ride was great.

One crippling factor was my left hand - I think I might of pinched a nerve somewhere because by the end I could not use my hand at all. Slowly got better throughout the next week and the tingling sensation slowly faded, but couldn't even button my pants for 2 days!

Hydration and eating was spot on - never any GI issues or other unpleasantness.

What would you do differently?:

While most of the folks that were solo or in 2 man teams were racing this was a tour for us. Our placing was pretty far back of the pack but we weren't in it to win. This was a fantastic first long ride for me and I was thrilled to finish (and with a smile).

Could always use another long ride before hand.
Post race
Warm down:

Made it to Hanes Junction - hugged Steve and the kids and then quickly got in the car to go to the hotel. It was after 9pm when I finished though you wouldn't of known it with the long summer days here. So tired at the hotel that we decided to scrounge instead of going out to eat. Our dinner was pretty sad (whatever was left in the cooler and food bags which wasn't much since no grocery store in Hanes).

Spent the next week exploring Hanes, Juneau, Skagway from the ferry and back to Anchorage via the "Golden Circle" highway route in the Yukon!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather?

Event comments:

This was a self supported race - no aid stations. However lots of volunteers working traffic control - very organized!

Last updated: 2012-05-30 12:00 AM
Biking
00:06:27 | 78 miles | 725.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Great course - very little traffic other than the support vehicles. My legs (4-8) had the first 30+ miles of steep uphill (mountain passes) followed by 30 miles of downhill then flat. Rain and wind for the first 4 hours. Occasional headwinds for the last hour. Was quite chilly at the summit with snow on ground.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-15 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: Kluane Chilkat International Bike Relay

2012-10-17 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4454663

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Kluane Chilkat International Bike Relay

Looks like you don't need my bike Kharma anymore.....725mph!!! LOL

Nice job Robin!

2012-10-17 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4454663

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Sounds like a great event Robin!! Hopefully if you do it again the weather is more cooperative.
2012-10-17 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4457673

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kluane Chilkat International Bike Relay Rss Feed