General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training advice for swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-18 2:59 PM

Subject: training advice for swimming

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAS ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BOOKS OR VIDEOS THAT COULD HELP ME WITH MY SWIMMING. ITS SAFE TO SAY I HAVE A FEAR OF OPEN WATER, AND/OR WATER THAT I CANT SEE OR TOUCH THE BOTTOM OF. I KNOW HOW TO SWIM, BUT IM SURE MY TECHNIQUE IS HORRIBLE, AND I HAVE A LOT OF WASTED MOVEMENT BECAUSE IM NOT COMFORTABLE IN THE WATER.  THE GYM I BELONG TO HAS A POOL BUT ITS NOT DEEP.  I HAVE NOT DONE A TRIATHLON YET BUT AM PLANNING TO DO SOME SPRINTS NEXT YEAR TO GET MY FEET WET.  I PICTURE MYSELF DOING TRI'S AND THE ONLY PART I EVER WORRY ABOUT IS THE SWIM. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

2012-10-18 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4459544

User image

Veteran
Southern Pines, NC
Subject: RE: training advice for swimming

I've used the Marty Gaal video. It has a good explanation of technique.

http://powerstroke-dvd.com/index.html

As far as getting comformatable in open water, the best thing to do is practice. I would suggest that you work in the pool first on your form and endurance before you head to the OW. The more comfortable you are swimming the easier it will be to transition to OW.

2012-10-18 3:46 PM

User image

YOUTUBE HAS A LOT OF VIDEOS AVAILABLE.  SWIMSMOOTH IS ANOTHER ONLINE RESOURCE THAT'S FREE.  IT'S PROBABLY BEST THOUGH IF YOU FIND AN EXPERIENCED SWIMMER (EVEN A LIFEGUARD) AND ASK THEM TO CRITIQUE YOUR STROKE.  AS A BEGINNER, YOU PROBABLY HAVE SOME VERY OBVIOUS FLAWS THAT WILL BE EASY TO SPOT.  FIX THE BIG FLAWS AND JUST SWIM MORE.  RINSE, REPEAT.  GOOD LUCK.
2012-10-18 4:00 PM

I am just starting into triathlon, and came in with my strongest sport being the swim. (To call any of them "strong" is beyond exaggeration) Anyway, I looked around online and found a plethora of videos to help guide me into a more realistic Tri stroke. I had no problem going the distance to start, but the videos showed some stroke techniques that have helped to really maximize my efficiency and power output. I now spend at about 2 hours in the pool per week, and at least a quarter of each workout is spent working exclusively on developing my stroke. I chose to try the "Total Immersion" technique and so far it is working. If I feel like I have peaked in this discipline within a few months, and I find my performance not improving, I may try something else.
2012-10-18 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

I found the two most helpful things for me to be getting my stroke critiqued by someone knowledgeable, and consistent work in the pool.

The person that critiqued me used video (above water) which was REALLY helpful because I could see exactly what he was referring to when he told me what I was doing wrong.  Underwater video would probably help even more, but I've never tried that.

This year I also made a point of swimming more, and with fewer toys (less pull buoy, in my case). That also helped a lot.

As far as the fear of the water goes, not much help there.  Perhaps it will diminish if you become a better swimmer?

Good luck!

2012-10-18 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
McAllen

HONESTLY, SWIMMING WELL HAS A REALLY LONG LEARNING CURVE; IT TOOK MY MOTHER (WHO WAS ABOUT THE SAME SPOT AS YOU ARE) APPROXIMATELY SIX MONTHS TO GET A "REAL" COMFORT IN THE WATER. IT JUST TAKES PRACTICE. DO RESEARCH OR ASK EXPERIENCED SWIMMERS WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO, THAT WAY EVERY TIME YOU HOP IN THE WATER YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR GOALS ARE. THE MORE YOU PRACTICE, THE MORE YOU'LL FEEL NATURAL.

BE PATIENT

2012-10-18 7:23 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
WHY ARE WE ALL SHOUTING ON THIS THREAD?

I RECOMMEND TOTAL IMMERSION...IT WORKED FOR ME SO WELL I PURSUED CERTIFICATION IN COACHING AND NOW TRAIN NEW TI COACHES. FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS.
2012-10-18 7:41 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I feel like I'm back in the pool as a kid with the coach yelling at us.
2012-10-18 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

I just joined a Masters group and had my first session today. Lucky for me, 4 had registered for the group, and only two showed up. It was awesome having so much personal attention for an hour. I learned a lot, and have a lot of material to work with. Nothing beats having someone watch you swim and critique you.

I encourage you to take lessons. You're not the only one with uneasiness in the deep end, and a group class will help you with that, and your form. I didn't know how to swim a year ago, and did two tris 6 - 7 months after I first learned. Get lessons, and practice lots. You can do it!

2012-11-01 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4459924

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

AdventureBear - 2012-10-18 8:23 PM WHY ARE WE ALL SHOUTING ON THIS THREAD? I RECOMMEND TOTAL IMMERSION...IT WORKED FOR ME SO WELL I PURSUED CERTIFICATION IN COACHING AND NOW TRAIN NEW TI COACHES. FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS.

X2...minus the certification and teaching and all that. Total Immersion worked for me, even thought I bought the book and DVD and did it on my own, as my scheduled did not allow me the freedom for one-on-one coaching.

I am sure my technique is lacking, but the improvements I got from following the program were phenomenal.

2012-11-01 1:41 PM

User image

Elite

THIS THREAD MAKES ME SMILE (I was actually in all caps b/c I'm doing report cards)

there are great videos on http://www.goswim.tv/#

Lessons are the way to go. Best time saver, get someone to look at your stroke. Go once a week.

2012-11-01 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

START OF WITH TRIS THAT HAVE AN INDOOR POOL SWIM.

THIS WILL GET YOU HOOKED AND KEEP YOU MOTIVATED.

FOR YOUR OPEN WATER SWIM:

- GO WITH A GROUP

- GET A FLOTATION DEVICE (KIEFER SWIMSAFE OR SO)

- RENT A WETSUIT

- SWIM IN A SHALLOW SAFE DESIGNATED SWIMMING AREA

AFTER YOU HAVE DONE AN OWS WITH THE ABOVE DITCH THE WETSUIT ONCE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training advice for swimming Rss Feed