General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 17m 54s
Overall Rank = 175/414
Age Group = Master Clydes
Age Group Rank = 3/21
Pre-race routine:

went to bed at 8p
up at 0315
soak Achilles in hot water
4 bottles of Ensure protein chocolate
plain bagel
coffee
Gatorade
Event warmup:

light stretching
Swim
  • 58m 34s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Beautiful Wrightsville Beach channel side. Great atmosphere by Set-Up. After Nat Anthem the RD prayed for us.Very cool and sincere prayer. Much appreciated. The water was deep and clean for ocean water. I didn't feel the current but knew it was there. Not a whole lot of banging on this one but there was contact every so often...its OW...
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 08m 45s
Comments:

Changing tent crowded. Spent to long looking for spot. SInce I wasn't changing out of bibs should of skipped tent and saved 1:30

skip tent
Bike
  • 6h 17m 3s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I kept it high Z2 low z3 the whole ride. Never going over 134 and mostly below 130. I was following pacing strategy advice from Scott, Friels book and others on BT and ST. This was my first 140 and didn't want to walk the run. My achillies and foot were noticeable and that helped me reign in the desire to crush the bike. Looking back I'm glad I didn't go harder...this time...I lost ~10 minutes to a tire change. The front blew out about a 1/2 mile after crossing the RR tracks. There was broken/sharp pavement next to the rails and I nailed it. I thought I ripped the tire but after inspection saw little tire damage. Maria passed me during the tire change...took me 80 miles to catch her...Roo was on the go!
At mile 30 I saw one then two 1/2 distance riders go by. They missed their turn even though it was well marked. They were hammering and didn't hear me. I saw one of them at special needs turning around...that stinks...

Slow down for the RR tracks and pick a better line
Transition 2
  • 06m 41s
Comments:

Volunteers took bike, long run through convention center floor. Ripped bib number hole second race in a row..borrowed key from janitor to punch new hole..thanks dude!

move faster through transition. I'm using minutes with no return....
Run
  • 4h 46m 54s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I worried about the run for 3 weeks since re-injuring the achillies.Went to chiro twice in last week. Taped achillies, added super feet inserts, prophylacticly treated with Alieve doubling the dose and frequency from 36 hours out and through the race. The achillies and foot always reminding me not to go to hard and to protect every step. Maybe this was a help. I never felt I didn't have the breath or strength to finish.Although at about mile 20 I fatigue did consume me and I walked the aid station and an additional 200 yards. I won't kid you, this ultra distance stuff is hard! If I would have gone out faster with a healthy foot I'm pretty sure I would have burned up to quick and been reduced to a slower time. But,it always hurt enough to cause doubt if I would make it due to worsening injury.Some miles were tougher than others. I was surprised at the number of very fit looking athletes male and female that would walk. Some because they hit the wall and others either as strategy or maybe because it was more about the experience. I walked the aid stations enough to drink.
Kevin, in the 30 something age group had a run walk strategy. He'd pass me on his run, I'd pass him on his walk.It worked for him as he announced no more walking at mile 24. At mile 25 I got my first hamstring cramp. It took a few minutes to work it out, stopping, then peg legging it for awhile. With 3/4 of a mile to go my pace quickened and the peg leg became a jog, the jog a run with high fives to the inebriated crowd at the corner bar to a fast approach to the chute. Stopped to kiss the iron wife and shout out the kids before going through finish.
If I go 140 again I'll consider run/walk vs run but I feel I need to run all or as much of it as physically able.

In training I fretted not having any long runs 18 miles or over. 2 days after the Sept 29th half IM I ran 18. Felt relived to log it. Then 4 days later ran a fast 6 miler and knew I pulled the tendon. Next time I err on recovery.

During the run I spent too much time with the very kind volunteer helping me go through my special needs bag. I probably looked like toast. I should have taken the bag and dumped it to change out Infinit bottles on the run belt...volunteers were super

I wore a fuel belt on the run. I used it in training. But running in bibs with a 6 hour ride and 1 hour swim behind me the belt was loose. Next time I should tighten it up before packing it...now I need a "Back to the Future" reminder to read this the day before the next Tri....
Post race
Warm down:

smelled pizza at the food tent...big mistake. Had me doubled over 20 minutes later ready to hurl. My digestive system wasn't ready for action yet..

Gathered bags and bike from convention center. Soaked in tub at rental house. Went to bed around 11P

What limited your ability to perform faster:

strained achilles
first 140-used a finish strategy

Event comments:

Set-Up nailed this event. I highly recommend B2B. It's a great value to boot.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:58:34 | 4224 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/21
Overall: 217/414
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra vortex full
Course: Channel swim point to point with tide. One left and one right turn
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:45
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:17:03 | 112 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/21
Overall: 240/414
Performance:
mostly below 130 whole ride...staying high zone 2 low zone 3
Wind: Headwind
Course: lollipop with 10 miles of highway-felt guilty 5-O was stopping traffic for us but got over it. Well marked, well staffed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:41
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:46:54 | 26.2 miles | 10m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/21
Overall: 151/414
Performance:
130's to start, 140's through 13 miles, low 150's final 13 and likely slowing down
Course: out and back first mile then 2 loops, flat, on sidewalks, street, paved path
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-22 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

2012-10-22 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4463230

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

Great race report!!! And congrats are in order.

Too bad the pizza didnt agree with you.Foot in mouth

Im thinking of doing this one next year as my 1st.  Great Job!

2012-10-22 10:53 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-10-22 7:24 PM

Veteran

Carl, if you're going 140 next year I highly recommend this one. Lot's to like. Good luck with your training in 2013! Oh...and wait an hour or 2 for the pizza

WGraves- did you A-V? That's a serious day too. Outside of Tri how many people do you know that can crack off a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike? We'll look back thinking these are the best days of our lives....

2012-10-22 7:41 PM

Great race report!  That sucks about the flat.  I always feel lucky when I get off the bike without any issues.  I swear I hear strange noises and wierd vibrations that don't occur during training. 

That was a strong run for someone with an achillies issue, way to go!  Great race!

Jeff

2012-10-23 3:21 PM

Expert
, North Carolina

Well done Tim!  Congrats on your first IM distance!!!  Woo Hoo!!! 

Oh, BTW... my run shoes DO have names; they are Woo and Hoo!  My race wheels have names too; Pixie and Dixie!

I did skip the changing tent entirely and ran straight to my bike which gave me 2nd place AG in T1.  I also ripped my Bib# off like you did, but I didn't bother to fix it.

Awesome race.  keep up the good work!

2012-10-28 4:12 PM

New user

Great Race Report...  Congratulations on a awesome race - you are an Ironman! 

I made the same mistake with the pizza! 

2012-11-19 6:25 PM

Veteran
Richmond
Great job on podium finish!!!  It sounds like you nailed it and worked through a couple race day challenges!!  You are an IRONMAN!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed