Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Biggest news ever. Atleast for star war fans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-10-30 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4475685

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Biggest news ever. Atleast for star war fans

I read a piece online that made a suggestion I think has merit. 

Let's say you were introducing the star wars universe to someone with no knowledge of it. What order do you show the movies?

Here is their suggestion: IV,V,II,III,VI - skip I entirely. 

I like it. You start where we all started. Then after the big reveal at the end of Empire, you go back to answer the question, "how did Darth Vader get this way?" It's sort of like Godfather 2. 

You can skip epI entirely, because you have cute little Anakin. He goes to brooding jerk sort of quickly after that, but you still have no real reason to connect with him as a fuzzball. JarJar only appears as a Senator, with no real plot involvement this way. 

Then once you get to the climax of his turn to evil, and the death of Luke and Leia's mother, you go back to finish the saga with Jedi. Now the redemption on Anakin Skywalker comes full circle. 

Of course, no conversation about the prequels is complete without this very NSFW audio. One of my favorite comedy routines of all time. Patton Oswalt on time machines and George Lucas.

2012-10-30 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4475937

User image

Elite
TheClaaaw - 2012-10-30 8:50 PM

Let's say you were introducing the star wars universe to someone with no knowledge of it. What order do you show the movies?

I like it. You start where we all started. Then after the big reveal at the end of Empire, you go back to answer the question, "how did Darth Vader get this way?" It's sort of like Godfather 2. 

You can skip epI entirely, because you have cute little Anakin. He goes to brooding jerk sort of quickly after that, but you still have no real reason to connect with him as a fuzzball. JarJar only appears as a Senator, with no real plot involvement this way. 

Then once you get to the climax of his turn to evil, and the death of Luke and Leia's mother, you go back to finish the saga with Jedi. Now the redemption on Anakin Skywalker comes full circle. 

Of course, no conversation about the prequels is complete without this very NSFW audio. One of my favorite comedy routines of all time. Patton Oswalt on time machines and George Lucas.

I'm a traditionalist...but I have a tendency to delay gratification and save the best for last.  Considering those factors, I was torn.  I decided to go chronologically:  IV-V-VI-I (I just couldn't skip it...sorry), and II.  III will be introduced probably next year as my son is 9.  Sith was pretty dark (but awesome!) and I am very stoked to share it with my son...just when we think it's appropriate as it is pg-13.

btw, I love it here in COJ when someone posts the pic of Admiral Ackbar saying, "It's a trap!"  Love it.  

2012-10-30 8:06 PM

Funny that this was posted.  We're currently working our way thru the animated Clone Wars discs.  We went to Star Wars weekend during the summer and listened to the actors give a presentation.  The kids with us knew about it, but it got us interested.  I also had myself frozen in carbonite when we were there.  

2012-10-30 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4475711

User image

Expert
Central Mass
GomesBolt - 2012-10-30 2:06 PM

scoobysdad - 2012-10-30 5:00 PM How long before we see the first photoshopped image of Darth Vader with mouse ears?

They already have all that stuff. 

There's a lot of cross-pollenation.  I think this may have been in the works for a while.

I just can't believe there'll be an episode 7.

Didn't the rebels win?  That would make an Ep 7 pretty boring...

But refer to The Official Rules of Modern Movie Making

Rule 1: There are no new ideas.

Rule 2: If 10 years have passed, you can remake something.

Rule 3: If something is the highest grossing movie ever, change the stars and release it again.

Rule 4: There are no new ideas.

Lucas always said that he envisioned a trilogy of trilogies.  At least he said that in the 80s.  By 96 (P.M.) he moved away from that and by either 2 or 3, he said he would never ever make them.  Maybe because the first 3 sucked...

Even better news?  Lucas won't be directing any more movies!  7-9 will be directed by someone (anyone) else...

Edited by scorpio516 2012-10-30 9:01 PM
2012-10-30 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4475937

User image

Extreme Veteran
TheClaaaw - 2012-10-30 5:50 PM

while I do sort of see the point here. I would suggest episode I sets up the very important relationship between anakin and Obi Wan. it also establishes the previous relationship between obi wan and Quigone (sp?) which comes into play later in the series. it also sets the relationship between anakin and his mom which is pivitol in later episode as well.

2012-10-30 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Here is the article that makes the case for removing Ep I in a showing.

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-sugg...

2012-10-30 10:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
More proof the Mayan's were correct. First movie likely to be released on Dec 20, 2012.
2012-10-31 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4475959

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
asianflava - 2012-10-30 8:06 PM

Funny that this was posted.  We're currently working our way thru the animated Clone Wars discs.  We went to Star Wars weekend during the summer and listened to the actors give a presentation.  The kids with us knew about it, but it got us interested.  I also had myself frozen in carbonite when we were there.  

ok right now I dislike you. .  I want to be in carbonite too.

2012-10-31 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

?from 2008

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

I heard that episode 7 - 9 was more of a yeah trilogy of trilogies that sounds good but no to be taken seriously.  Disney pretty much though has free reign to do what they want.  They could even go Old republic if they wanted or go way into the future.  Movies are the only real canon and I like to think from now on 1 - 6 will should be known as core canon and 7+ would be just regular old canon.

2012-10-31 8:43 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

They'll probably "Disney" up the movies though.....may even do some reshoots.

For example....In "Empire", Admrial Ozzell will now be told by Vader "You have failed me but you know what....you tried your best buddy, and that's what counts" and instead of the Vader-Force Choke, they hug it out.

2012-10-31 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member

If they do Heir to the Empire (the books 7-8-9) trilogy that could be amazing. 

2012-10-31 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

Star Wars (as envisioned by Lucas) was supposed to go like this...

1. "The Phantom Menace" - Palpatine (Darth Siddeous) begins to manipulate to create the seperatists so that he can gain power, have an army, and eventually take over.
  2. "The Clone Wars" - Palpatine as Supreme Chancellor takes power and with emergency powers, enlists the clone army.
  3. "Revenge of the Sith" - Palpatine secures power, becomes Emperor, kills most of the Jedi, gets Darth Vader.
  4. "The New Hope" - Luke Skywalker, rebellion formed, Death Star detroyed.
  5. "The Empire Strikes Back" - Vader kicks butt in revenge.
  6. "Return of the Jedi" - Luke becomes a Jedi, kills Vader, Emperor Palpatine LIVES!
  7. The Emperor kills Luke Skywalker.  Han Solo and Princess Lea are married.  Princess Lea gives birth to twins.
  8. Princess Lea gives birth to twins.  The Emperor kills Han Solo and Chewbacca.  Lea trains to become a Jedi.
  9. The Emperor kills Lea.  The combined power of the twins finally is enough to kill the Emperor.  Evil vanquished, story ends.

Yes.  The whole thing is like a Greek Tragedy.  Everyone dies.  So what happened with "Return of the Jedi"?  The studio and Lucas started to have huge battles over storyline and creativity.  The battle was supposed to take place on Chewbacca's home planet, but the studio wanted more kid-friendly, teddybear-like creatures.  Henceforth the Ewoks and the Wookie battle inthe clone wars (Lucas finally got his say).  The arguments were so heated, that Lucas basically said "F it!" and killed off the Emperor and ended the storyline as an f-you to the studio.  When you watch "Return of the Jedi", you get this strange feeling at the end...  "Vader just picks him up and throws him?  Isn't the Emperor more powerful than that?  He didn't fight back?  This feels like it was re-written at the last moment... which it was.

When Lucas went back and made the first 3 episodes, again there was contention with the studio.  They wanted a new generation of kids to adore a new character, whereby you get Jar Jar Binx.  The biggest regret Lucas EVER has caving in to.  It was always a rocky relationship between Lucas and studio.  They just stiffled his creativeness because marketing and focus groups demanded script re-writes to make the movies more marketable and appeal to a wider audience.

I'm not shocked at all Lucas selling out to Disney.  I'm surprised it didn't happen long ago.  His vision got warped, he did it anyway, he sold out once and for all and he's done.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Biggest news ever. Atleast for star war fans Rss Feed  

of 2