SBR Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 22s
Overall Rank = 18/199
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/36
Pre-race routine:

Picked up Brett at 5:20 and headed down to the lake. I had a couple of bottles of Ensure and a granola bar for breakfast. We got there roughly an hour prior to the race start and had plenty of time to get transition set up and relax.
Event warmup:

The Oly wave started 5 mins prior to ours. Immediately after they started, I got into the water and swam around a bit. As I sign of things to come, I had a head on collision with someone else warming up.
Swim
  • 18m 10s
  • 1000 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swims have been tough lately due to the arm injury I suffered in my accident a couple of weeks ago. I almost didn't do the triathlon. While I'm glad I came, I did have some problems in the water. Right off the bat, my sore arm was kicked pretty hard. The pain slowed me down BIG TIME. I wasn't able to pull ahead of the group and spent the first 1/3 of the race in a choppy mess. This is my 3rd open water tri, and was definitely my worst swim, at least for the first 1/3. Once I was able to round the first bouy, I was able to relax a bit and settle into my normal rythm. I didn't have the strength to push the pace, though.

At one point in time, I was clocked in the side of the head right as I was coming up for a breath. This forced me to stop for a brief second. As I looked over at the guy, I realized that it was Billy (Brappleye3). He had a big grin on his face.
What would you do differently?:

Start wide of the group if I'm not in condition to be pulling ahead. I knew I was injured and shouldn't have risked it. I should have started behind or to the outside of the chaos.

Oh, and I'll stay away from Billy next time!
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

I don't know where to start here. Usually I'm pretty good at transition. But I'm not usually trying to get my suit off with only one arm. I thought there would be wetsuit strippers, but there weren't. I had to run to transition and pull my own suit off. Because of the injury, I basically had to do it with only my left arm. It took a LONG time. And it doesn't help that my wetsuit caught on the pedal of my bike as I started running away.

Other than the suit, the transition went quickly.

Not wreck my bike and mess up my arm 2 weeks before the tri.
Bike
  • 35m 26s
  • 13 miles
  • 22.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Usually I excel at the bike during the tri. This course is the exception. I do better when I have long stretches where I don't have to turn and accelerate much.

The cornering on this one killed my time. Partially due to pain in the arm and partially due to not feeling comfortable cornering hard yet, I lost some time on the turns. I'm sure I'll pick this up at the next one, though.

Once again, not injure myself prior to the race...
Transition 2
  • 50m
Comments:

I saw Billy in transition and realized I'd have to gain some time on him in transition. This transition was better than the first, but still not my best.

Move faster.
Run
  • 22m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I was passed by one person on the run and managed to pass 3-4. With the lack of training (and bricks specifically) that I've done lately I was happy just to hold on. I did have one clyde (tall guy like me) who was bearing down on me, but I sped up for the 2nd half and left him behind. Fortunately for him, I didn't register as a clyde :)

It took me a mile to realize that I needed to shorten my stride and pick up the cadence. I should have done this from the beginning.
Post race
Warm down:

I jogged back up the path to meet Brett (UTTriMan) and ran back with him.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

conditioning, conditioning, conditioning

Event comments:

This is the first race that the SBR guys have put on, so there was a little bit of confusion during the week leading up to it. But race day went off without a hitch. Everything started on time and seemed pretty well organized. The course was beautiful. I've lived in Utah almost all of my life and have never been to the state park. It's a great venue for a tri.

Last updated: 2006-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:10 | 1000 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/36
Overall: 46/199
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca Sleeveless Speedsuit
Course: The course started in the marina and comprised of a triangle. It was supposed to be 750 meters, but was measured long. I estimated 1000 yards here, but it may have even been longer than that. The course was decent, but the lake is very shallow. The last 100 yards were through weeds.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:26 | 13 miles | 22.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/36
Overall: 20/199
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: The course was a bit longer than advertised at 13 (according to Brett's GPS), so the official split speed is off a bit. The course consisted of 2 loops that went from the lake, up through neighborhoods, then back down to the lake. There were 2 stretches that were straight for close to a mile each, but otherwise the course twisted and turned a lot. This would have been a good criterium course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 50:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:55 | 03.11 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/36
Overall: 18/199
Performance: Average
Course: The course went along the grass for 1/2 mile, then followed a paved trail through some trees. It then followed a canal road for another 1/2 mile out to the turnaround. It was a flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-24 6:11 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Provo Triathlon

2006-06-24 11:15 PM
in reply to: #464695

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: RE: Provo Triathlon
Great job man. It is always good to get hit in the face during a swim. I think I am going to start taking jui-jitsu lessons just for the swim.

Mike
2006-06-25 12:12 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Great Race today, Dave!  Given your gimpy arm -- you have nothing to be ashamed of --- 18th Overall, with a bad and sore arm!  Amazing!   We're just gonna have to beat up on Billy in the Pool on Monday for plowin into ya!

You're gonna do great at Echo!  Keep it up!   And thanks for waiting around for my hardware today!  I know you had a busy day! 

2006-06-25 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Nice race :-)  Hope the arm gets feeling better.   Has anything come out of accident....did the guy get a ticket or anything?
2006-06-25 10:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
nice race.. you times looks really good... your a rocket man... congrats!
2006-06-26 11:24 AM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Nice race!! The smack in the face was just so I could get that slight gap between us and stay in front as long as I could   Seriously, you had a great race, all things considered- You caught up to me easily and put my lead to rest on that run!  Way to go!!  I have no chance against you when your arm is better (but I already knew that). 

I'm just glad we had as much fun as we did... That was a riot!  Let's do it again soon (like in 3 weeks or so!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Provo Triathlon Rss Feed