Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Stretching and 100m swim
Swim
  • 20m 22s
  • 600 meters
  • 03m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

My first tri. Elbows and ankles quite different than pool! I handled it well until the 200m mark then caught a kick to the side and a few meters later an elbow to neck which messed up my breathing and stroke. While trying to recover had to stear clear to avoid a 3rd collision with same guy. The swim took more out of me than expected.
What would you do differently?:

Keep an eye on and avoid swimmers that don't nagivate well. Also, need to practice more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I had a decent position on the exit row. Put helmet on first, wiped my feet a couple of times, but put socks on despite dirt, grass still on feet. Shoes quickly followed. Being my first race, I hesitated to double check everything even though I checked and double checked before the race.

Remember pre-race checks were done and just go.
Bike
  • 49m 56s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 15.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I was warned a couple of weeks in advance of the hill out of the park. It was tougher than practiced (no swim before practice). At the top of the hill, lost my breakfast without stopping. After turning on Mt. Vernon, settled in to a pace that was slower than training but passed several riders which was confidence builder. The hill that wasn't mentioned beforehand was in the park itself at the end. I pushed myself hard up the hill. Good dismount but had to stop before T2 as anything that was left in my stomach made a rapid exit. Dry heaves aren't fun!

Cut my time between swim and bike when doing bricks.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

I felt drained after my "pitstop" before T2. Knew I needed some type of supplement but couldn't find my Endurolytes. Finally found them but spilled them on towel. Grabbed 2 washed down with water. Had to sit down to put on running shoes. Got up and made my to exit. About to step on timing mat and remembered I forgot my race belt, went back and grabbed it. Managed to put it on just before exiting.

Keep 2 Endrolytes in the open on transition towel ready to swallow. Remember race belt. I think part of problem was belt was black, race number was black and gray and by backpack was black and gray. The race belt was on top of my backpack which blended in.
Run
  • 35m 47s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

More hills than I expected. Again, after my "pitstop" I felt drained and was waiting for the Endrolytes kick in. After hitting the pavement, I kept about a 10min/mile pace til about mile 1.5. Then I slowed down and did the walk, run, walk, run thing from about mile 1.7 to mile 2.4. Then I caught my second wind and ran, with a light sprint about the last 70 yards.

More hill training on runs. Flats are nice, but aren't going to help me improve.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and some minor stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wish I could say it was my 1987 Peugeot bike. However, there was also a swim and run involved. I need to work more on my swim technique and do longer runs. I also think adding aerobars to my bike will help.

Event comments:

I watched the Macon Tri and volunteered at the Lake Dow Tri. From my observations this was the best organized race of the 3. First time seeing timing chips used. And most important I finished my first tri! No matter what I observed prior, it doesn't compare with actually participating. Now I know where I need to make adjustments and what to work on for my next tri.

Last updated: 2006-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:22 | 600 meters | 03m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: n/a
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:56 | 12.8 miles | 15.38 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:35:47 | 03.1 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: The start of course was part trail, part ditch, and all up hill. For a moment I thought I might have been at the Xterra race in Macon. The rest of the course was hilly but paved.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-24 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Tri the Parks Indian Springs

2006-06-24 10:12 PM
in reply to: #464776

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks Indian Springs
Congrats on becoming a triathlete! You did fine!

Good job!

Kelly
2006-06-25 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
That was a great first race, and it's all downhill from here. I don't think anyone is fully prepared for the struggle of that first race, but now you know what you're up against and know you can do it, and you will only get better. Congratulations, triathlete.

It was great to meet you there and I look forward to seeing you at the next race. I think Abear2 is trying to put together a BT gathering at the PTC if no one else is doing it. You are gonna love the PTC race. It's flatter, has a two-man swim start, a short, grassy, flat run to T1, and is just a lot of fun. See you there!
2006-06-25 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Great to meet you yesterday! Congrats on finishing your first race. You are blooded now!
2006-06-25 2:35 PM
in reply to: #464911

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Congrats my friend. I think the tri bug bit you!

Tony
2006-06-27 6:43 AM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Way to push through your first race.  Congratulations!

2006-06-27 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great to meet you- great race- now you know you can do it and only will do better from here! I dont know if I could finish after emptying my stomach- that's is intestinal fortitude taken quite literally! Hope to see you at the peachtree city sprint.
Greg
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Indian Springs Rss Feed