General Discussion Triathlon Talk » crazy idea while running yesterday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-30 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: crazy idea while running yesterday

I was out for a nice 7 miler yesterday and the typical wandering mind set in.  I am signed up for IMLOU in 2013 and was already dreaming about the finish and having a mild anxiety attack over the whole idea.  I know heat and hills are the two biggest obstacles in Lou and I had a thought.  Perhaps someone can give some feedback.

Has anyone ever used one of those "emergency ice packs" for a really hot IM run?  These are the packs that you break open something inside the pack that causes a chemical reaction and becomes very cold very quickly.  I am a tennis coach and we keep at least 1 or 2 in our emergency kit for a sprained ankle on court.  I know most people recommend taking on ice at each aid station and putting it in the tri suit or holding it in the hands in order to cool the body core temp.  Would it be legal and/or a good idea to use one of these ice packs while on the run to either hold in your hands or put in the tri suit to keep the body cool?  I could keep one in the transition bag and another in the special needs run bag and the chemical reaction usually lasts a couple hours.   

2012-11-30 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4515973

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-11-30 8:11 AM

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Subject: RE: crazy idea while running yesterday
I doubt as effective as the free ice.  The ice spreads out in the tri suit, increasing contact area with the skin, which increases the exchange of heat.  Additionally, the melting ice water spreads out to cool even more area, then as it heats up evaporates, cooling more area without costing you quite as much sweat.  Not saying it  wouldn't have a cooling effect, but would get pricey, and logistically one more thing to manage.  (where would you replenish on the course?).  A little ice under the hat and a down the front and/or back of the suit is pretty awesome.
2012-11-30 8:17 AM

Is that thing cold enough that it burns?

If not then you could get the De Soto 3 pockets jersey and put in your back the whole run, then just throw water in your back every station? 

2012-11-30 8:25 AM

Extreme Veteran

I thought this was going to be along the lines of those "weird" lines of thought your mind goes when you're running long on your own like...

1:05pm

Wow, it's cold today.  Maybe I should've worn long pants.  You know, I can't stand running with long pants.  But it's 40 degrees out.  It would be nice to run in the warmth again.  Damn New Jersey.  Jersey.  I really like the Eagles jersey Erica (my g/f) bought me for my birthday.  All I got her was a gift certificate.  I'm a bad guy.  But she didn't complain.  She never complains.  I never know what she's thinking.  Does anyone know what anyone's thinking.  I know what I'm thinking.  I think therefore I am.  Huh, I finally get that.  That.  Hat.  I'm glad I'm at least wearing a hat.  Never feel funny wearing a hat.  Had to get rid of the old hat.  Had too many holes.  I loved that hat.  That hat and I had good times.  Hats get too sweaty when you run.  Threw away one hat while I was running.  Threw it by the side of the road.  That was a year ago?  Yeah, it was.  Cus it right around Thanksgiving.  I still see that hat too.  No one ever picks up trash by the side of the road.  Road.  Road ID.  I should get that.  I'd get hit by a car and people would just hover around me wondering what to do.  I'd be unknown.  They'd bury me and no one would know.  My parents and my girlfriend would wonder what happened.  Probably eventually figure out I got hit while running.  They'd say, "At least he died doing he liked.  But it'd be nice if we knew where he was buried."  Too bad the GPS watch doesn't track me so they can locate me.  That's what I should've gotten her for her birthday.  GPS watch.  She'd like that.  She runs with me.  She's so much faster.  She runs with pants.  Those 2xu pants.  She looks good in those.  She has nice legs.  I would look like an idiot in those.  But at least I'd be warm.  Hey, I'm warming up now.  Don't need pants anymore.  More.  Shmore.  I haven't had a shmore in ages.

1:06 pm

Huh, there's that hat.  No one ever picks up trash by the side of the road.

That's what I thought this was.

Edited by mattramirez 2012-11-30 8:26 AM
2012-11-30 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4516058

Expert
mattramirez - 2012-11-30 9:25 AM

I thought this was going to be along the lines of those "weird" lines of thought your mind goes when you're running long on your own like...

Wow, it's cold today.  Maybe I should've worn long pants.  You know, I can't stand running with long pants.  But it's 40 degrees out.  It would be nice to run in the warmth again.  Damn New Jersey.  Jersey.  I really like the Eagles jersey Erica (my g/f) bought me for my birthday.  All I got her was a gift certificate.  I'm a bad guy.  But she didn't complain.  She never complains.  I never know what she's thinking.  Does anyone know what anyone's thinking.  I know what I'm thinking.  I think therefore I am.  Huh, I finally get that.  That.  Hat.  I'm glad I'm at least wearing a hat.  Never feel funny wearing a hat.  Had to get rid of the old hat.  Had too many holes.  I loved that hat.  That hat and I had good times.  Hats get too sweaty when you run.  Threw away one hat while I was running.  Threw it by the side of the road.  That was a year ago?  Yeah, it was.  Cus it right around Thanksgiving.  I still see that hat too.  No one ever picks up trash by the side of the road.  Road.  Road ID.  I should get that.  I'd get hit by a car and people would just hover around me wondering what to do.  I'd be unknown.  They'd bury me and no one would know.  My parents and my girlfriend would wonder what happened.  Probably eventually figure out I got hit while running.  They'd say, "At least he died doing he liked.  But it'd be nice if we knew where he was buried."  Too bad the GPS watch doesn't track me so they can locate me.  That's what I should've gotten her for her birthday.  GPS watch.  She'd like that.  She runs with me.  She's so much faster.  She runs with pants.  Those 2xu pants.  She looks good in those.  She has nice legs.  I would look like an idiot in those.  But at least I'd be warm.  Hey, I'm warming up now.  Don't need pants anymore.  More.  Shmore.  I haven't had a shmore in ages.

LOL.. 

2012-11-30 8:40 AM

NC

This is a huge nugget of Friday gold.  Gold!

2012-11-30 8:45 AM

Veteran
East Greenbush
Litter bug.  LOL
2012-11-30 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4516084

Master
...at home in The ATL
Goosedog - 2012-11-30 9:40 AM

This is a huge nugget of Friday gold.  Gold!

Wrapped in platinum and served up on sterling. Some Fridays really are good on BT.

And for the record OP, yes, I have used one of those packs on a very, very hot two loop georgia summer HIM. cracked it, shook it, stuck it under my tritop on my shoulder/neck. It was awesome.

2012-11-30 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4516029

Pro

Zero2Athlete - 2012-11-30 9:11 AM I doubt as effective as the free ice.  The ice spreads out in the tri suit, increasing contact area with the skin, which increases the exchange of heat.  Additionally, the melting ice water spreads out to cool even more area, then as it heats up evaporates, cooling more area without costing you quite as much sweat.  Not saying it  wouldn't have a cooling effect, but would get pricey, and logistically one more thing to manage.  (where would you replenish on the course?).  A little ice under the hat and a down the front and/or back of the suit is pretty awesome.

Probably not - but if you're out there and the race starts running short on ice, you'll be glad you spent $1.99 for some relief...

2012-11-30 8:58 AM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

LOL this is classic and I admit my mind wanders often like this when I am running.

2012-11-30 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4516103

Veteran

And for the record OP, yes, I have used one of those packs on a very, very hot two loop georgia summer HIM. cracked it, shook it, stuck it under my tritop on my shoulder/neck. It was awesome.

This is the information I was hoping to hear.

mattramirez - 2012-11-30 8:25 AM

This is why I read this board!!

2012-11-30 11:17 AM

Expert
Wendell, NC

-Train of thought thread is priceless.

-OP, here in NC lots of HOT races will provide ice water sponges at the aid stations = heaven.  Check to see if LOUIM has these.

2012-11-30 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4516029

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-11-30 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4516455

Master
...at home in The ATL
FoggyGoggles - 2012-11-30 12:23 PM

The more that I think of this idea, I like it. One of the main issues I had at IM Racine last season was pouring ice and water over me, causing it to drip onto my socks and shoes. My feet felt like bricks at the end of the run.

Bricks... I should do those.

I see what you did right there. Nice!

2012-11-30 11:33 AM

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
mattramirez - 2012-11-30 10:25 AM

Made my Friday! 

2012-11-30 12:00 PM

Master
Denison Texas
The ice on the course will probably suffice but I don't see any problem with having some of your ice packs in the special needs bags-they will be there as an option.
2012-11-30 12:52 PM

Regular
Quincy
I did IMKY last year and found the aid stations on the run to be more than ample. The best advice I recieved was take a sponge and put it under your had. At each aid station I took two fresh sponges and put one on my chest under my tri top and the other on the back of my head under a cap. It worked great. Have a great experiance and do not worry.
2012-11-30 12:55 PM

Pennsylvania
You must have some super brand that the coldness lasts 1-2 hours.  The ones I've had experience with barely make it 20-30 minutes.  Although even if they only last 20-30 minutes, it should still be enough to cool you down.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » crazy idea while running yesterday Rss Feed