BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun and gearing up-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2013-01-03 8:35 PM
in reply to: #4560633

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Ontherun and gearing up-CLOSED
cbus_runner - 2013-01-03 3:46 PM

I like the idea of getting something as a motivator. I guess this probably sounds silly, as we are all training for a tri, but I don't have an actual road/tri bike. So that's on my shopping list!

Does everyone already have a bike? I've been doing spin classes at my gym to start and build up a base and hope that can suffice for training while I save up for one. Probably road, since I could (theoretically) use it to commute to work. What do you all have? Should I expect to pay around 1000 for one?

I started out with a Jamis "street performance". It's sort of a flat bar road bike...great for commuting. Then, I scoured  Craigs list for a few months until I found my current bike. I got a great deal on her, and still am in love. I'd say, go to some bike shops and try some brands/styles out. Like running shoes, every one has different needs and comforts.

2013-01-03 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4545059

User image

New user

Not much training for me in these past 2 days. There's been a lot going on here that has affected my kids in the past few days. I've spent all my energy on getting the healthy balance back into their lives.

Tomorrow morning, I have a workout planned before I go to work.

2013-01-04 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4560633

, Florida

Spinning/ Bicycles

We have mirrors in our spinning room so if you can get a seat close to that you can check your postion/posture during class.  I got my bike in my divorce (he got my fishing pole   ) lol  But if you scope out the bike shops, you might able to land a deal on a bike that gets traded in and will fit you. If you are near a college town, see if they have a bicycle resale shop.  Some of the college kids abandon their bikes when they go home. At the U of I- grounds keepers pick them up, do needed repairs and sells them at a fraction of the price.  You would be AMAZED at what some kids leave!!! 

2013-01-04 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4560869

, Florida

Cadence and watts

I don't have a computer for the bike and can only really track this on the gym cycles but was wondering what others are shooting for... 

I warm up low and shoot for a higher cadence once  I get rolling. I usually settle in about 95 and try to make sure my watts are pushing 250, some areas tip over 400 but not for too long. I will vary it for my rides over 45 minutes, dipping to 70 for some recovery or working through "gears" and "hills".

2013-01-04 9:25 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Your cadence around 95 looks really good. The idea and triathlon is to allow your muscles to be able to handle the run. As for Watts I'm always suspect of gym equipments ability to be accurate. Some are more accurate than others. When I train at home on the Compy trainer I average around 200 W if I'm doing well. I would love to see that number go up but I am going to wait and work towards it.If you're looking for a good idea of how to set up your bike don't be afraid to Google pictures of triathlete. Try someone like Chrissie Wellington or Chris McCormick both very good triathletes that have high RPMs on the set ups. You will not be able to get to exactly what they're doing but I'll give you an idea of how they're trying to get the aerodynamic and efficient with their spin cadence.
2013-01-04 6:27 PM

User image

New user

Hmmm. Maybe that's why I can never run when I get off the bike. No matter what I tell myself, my legs just give out underneath me. I'll try a higher cadence with less mashing.

2013-01-04 7:04 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

another tip to running off the bike is back off the intensity about the last few minutes before transition. Keep up the cadence but back even further off the intensity. The idea is to restore the blood flow in your legs and stretch out the mussels for running.

2013-01-05 10:12 AM

I tried out the aqua class at my new gym today, and I have to say it was a great workout.  I want to start taking a few classes a week when I can fit them in but I don't think I am ready for some of the boot camp type classes yet with my toe, so I decided to try it out.  I may just keep taking it on Saturday mornings it is great.

They are actually having a little indoor triathlon at my gym tomorrow.  I wish I was further along in my training to do it!  Hopefully they will have another one soon!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Edited by Lauriep717 2013-01-05 10:12 AM
2013-01-05 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Got a kickboxing workout and a short run with Shadow and my fiance in today.  Struggled horribly on the run.  My lungs are not acclimated to cold weather at all... hoping the more I run the better my lungs will hold up.
2013-01-06 7:59 PM

Hope everyone had a great weekend, it is quiet in here today!

Got to the gym this morning for a few miles on the bike and some strength training. Checked my seat placement on the bike and realized I had it way too low for me! So thanks for the tips on adjusting the height.

Tomorrow will be an off day for me, as I have my last follow up appt with the orthopedic after my toe surgery. Hope he gives me the green light to ramp it up a little bit!
2013-01-07 5:15 AM

User image

New user

Good morning!

Wow! What a busy weekend. Saturday, I got a cardio workout in, then headed out with the family for an afternoon of iceskating, sleigh riding and snow boarding. Tweaked my foot on the last snowboard ride of the day, so rested and iced on Sunday.

It's feeling much better today, so I'll get a workout in tonight.

How was everyone's weekend?

Is anyone doing Jorge's winter cycling program? It looks a like it's a little more hard core than I need or want. Joe- Do you have other suggestions for bike programs?

2013-01-07 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4560734

New user
Columbus, OH

Glad to see I'm not the only one without a bike; I was worried! I'll look on craigslist, that's a great idea. I also really don't want to spend a ton on something I've never done before.

Good luck with the drawing, though!

2013-01-07 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4565429

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Heidi could you give me the link to Horres cycling program? I'll take a look at it.
2013-01-07 9:29 AM

User image

New user

Joe,

Here's the link that describes the plan:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2332

I really don't want to be on the trainer for 3 hour sessions.

2013-01-07 3:08 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Heidi, I took a quick look at the link. Let me start by saying, I have met Jorge personally, and he is a very good man. At last check he was also a professional cyclist and USAT certified coach. I do not intend to question anything he has in his article.

What I will say is this. What he has is great information on how to get faster. For most of us in this group, I think finishing is the most important thing right now. My first training plan was the couch to sprint by Ron. It was very simple. Just how long and which sports on which days. It got me to the starting line, and through the race without a problem.

What you will all find in this sport is things are only as hard as you make them. A reasonable amount of knowledge and fitness will get you to the start and finish line. To be competitive, even against yourself, things get much harder. More important than anything else I have said is that constancy of workouts. You can have a great plan, and even better workouts, but when you miss a bunch of them (like I have as of late) improvement comes very slowly.

For at least the next 3 months, I would recommend KISS, Keep it Simple Silly. After that, we can start to push harder as we will have a solid base to build on.

2013-01-07 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4566634

User image

New user

Ontherun - 2013-01-07 3:08 PM

Heidi, I took a quick look at the link. Let me start by saying, I have met Jorge personally, and he is a very good man. At last check he was also a professional cyclist and USAT certified coach. I do not intend to question anything he has in his article.

What I will say is this. What he has is great information on how to get faster. For most of us in this group, I think finishing is the most important thing right now. My first training plan was the couch to sprint by Ron. It was very simple. Just how long and which sports on which days. It got me to the starting line, and through the race without a problem.

What you will all find in this sport is things are only as hard as you make them. A reasonable amount of knowledge and fitness will get you to the start and finish line. To be competitive, even against yourself, things get much harder. More important than anything else I have said is that constancy of workouts. You can have a great plan, and even better workouts, but when you miss a bunch of them (like I have as of late) improvement comes very slowly.

For at least the next 3 months, I would recommend KISS, Keep it Simple Silly. After that, we can start to push harder as we will have a solid base to build on.

great advise. Thanks Joe.

2013-01-07 8:15 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

A couple of random thoughts today about equipment. First, a bunch of you are looking for a bike to ride. If you have not already done so, you will also need a bike helmet. ALL USAT RACES REQUIRE A HELMET. The helmet is supposed to be on your head, and fastened from the time you touch your bike to ride, to the time you put it back in transition. Feel free to run with it on if you want (yes, I left transition with my helmet on once, but threw it back at my bike). A cheep helmet from Walmart will do as long as it has a CSPC sticker on the inside.

On the swim, make sure you have and have trained with a pair of goggles. It sounds like a no brainier, but you want to know where the feet of the swimmer in front of you is before you swim into them.

On the run. We have discussed good running shoes. When you are at the store, consider picking up a race belt. I prefer the type with an elastic thread and a sliding clip as opposed to buttons. The race belt is so you can put your running number on it. If you do not have one, you need to pin it to your cloths. This can be a pain in the butt. I so like my race belts that I think I own about 5 now. I just keep collecting them.

I have included a few links below. They are part of a 2 part article I wrote on race day prep. You may be months away from racing, but it helps to think about these things as you train so you are ready on race day.

part 1 of 2 http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=568

part 2 of 2 http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=603

Feel free to read them now, but keep them in mind as the race day nears.

2013-01-08 12:50 PM

, Florida

FUN!!!

This may be an odd goal for the first Tri- but I want to have fun!  I know I will be freaked out about the transitions (lol- thats just how I am).

I can't hit the pool until February so right now I feel like I am in a holding pattern.

2013-01-08 5:17 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
I do agree, fun should be the first part. If transitions are worrying you, consider making them a part of some of your workouts. When you do one sport and transition into the next one right away it is called a brick workout. I like to try and get a 10 minute recovery run in after bike workouts when time allows. This helps your legs learn how to go from the bike to the run. The first few times, your legs will be quite flat and feel like jello. In time this will change.
2013-01-08 9:29 PM

Thanks for the article, will try to read them tomorrow.

Life is trying to take over this week, but I am determined to get my workouts in! I really need to make working out a habit so this week is important for me to find a way to get these workouts in, I am worried about starting to make excuses like I have done in the past.
2013-01-09 5:07 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I fell kind of bad that some groups have pages of chatter in them, and we do not. Let me know if you have any questions or comments, they all count

2013-01-09 5:10 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Today's random thought after my workout. My back, arms and thighs are quite sore from bumping up my mileage and the amount of hills I was climbing. It allowed me to remember the 10% rule. If you have not heard it, here it is. It is strongly recommended not to increase your workout by more than 10% in any category. This can include time, distance and if applicable, weight if you are lifting. The worst thing we can do is get hurt trying to get into shape. This just pushes us backwards and can be frustrating.

I hope all of you are getting into a little grove and enjoying your training.

Joe

2013-01-09 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4570746

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Ontherun - 2013-01-09 5:07 PM

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I fell kind of bad that some groups have pages of chatter in them, and we do not. Let me know if you have any questions or comments, they all count

I screwed up my diet this morning.  This was the first day back in the pool for at least a year and severely underestimated how hungry I am after a swim.  I had my breakfast, but by the time I got to work, I was ravenous.  Because I was in a different building for work today, I didn't have any snacks or anything and ended up eating 6 donut holes.  I had a normal lunch and two sugar free mini Reese's peanut butter cups.  I drank 8 glasses of water which never happens so at least that's something.  Dinner was a salad with a chicken breast but then I ate a piece of low-carb cheesecake even after I was full.  I think if I can manage some good low-carb snacks throughout the day, I will be fine.  I just need to take the time to plan.

2013-01-09 8:39 PM

I really need to start working on my nutrition, I have horrible eating habits and need to start working on that.

I had a question about working out, do most people workout two separate times day if they are doing two areas. I really only have time to get to the gym once a day and for now since my workouts are not much works, but I am wondering if it is going to be too hard to do that as I get further into the program?
2013-01-10 9:32 AM

New user
Columbus, OH

Laurie, good question! I am trying to figure that out as well. Today I'm trying to do two workouts (bike/swim), and I've never done that before.

I think I'm going to bike first, then swim as soon as I can get changed. I don't know how else to do it without going to the gym twice and showering a lot! And I don't fancy going on the bike with wet hair until it gets a bit warmer

Any other suggestions?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun and gearing up-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10