BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun and gearing up-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2013-01-01 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4545059

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ontherun and gearing up-CLOSED

I got a mile run/walk in with Shadow in the rain... Almost talked myself out of it but I'm glad I went out.  Shadow must have thought since I said we were going on a short run that meant sprint the whole way so I had to make him stop and walk... He has some issues with his leg and while it doesn't bother him I don't want him to overdo it and hurt himself.  

My other new years resolution is to get organized and I spent all day cleaning and throwing out stuff I had buried in the closet and bathroom cabinets.  Everything looks so nice and neat now so I hope we can keep it this way.  

Hope everyones had a good first day of the new year!

2013-01-01 6:16 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Just curious. I was looking at everyone's blog today and we had some workouts. I was wondering if anyone workout today and did not put it into there blog? I want to be able to give everyone the best help and encouragement that I can, but we need to have some feed back on your progress.

FYI, if you have not worked out yet, there is still time today to do 5 minutes of something just to change the color of the square!

2013-01-01 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4556844

, Florida

Happy New Year All! 

I had a decent workout on the 30th, came home and threw my back out moving bags of dog food   I have an appointment with my chiropractor tomorrow and will be back in the saddle!

2013-01-01 6:35 PM
in reply to: #4556867

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Sorry to hear about your back. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Let us know how you make out.

2013-01-01 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4556664

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

Welcome!  I am actually starting from scratch to right now because I had toe surgery 8 weeks ago.  I just started the Michael Pate's Sprint workout plan.  It is a couch to sprint tri plan which lasts for 22 weeks.   If you are really starting from scratch it looks to be a great program.   You can definitely be ready for something quicker than you think. 

That's the one I'll be starting on Monday.  It really is a good plan for starting slow and building up to the race.

2013-01-01 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4556951

, Florida

Michael Pate's Program-- thanks for mentioning this one! Love that it has distances listed rather than minutes! The swimming looks like something I can handle   I will probably up the cycling and running though.

Also for fun, I actually measured myself and weighed in this morning.  We'll see what happens over the next few months. 

2013-01-02 4:44 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Random thought while training today. The question was asked if anyone had any gear they would purchase as a reward or motivation. I thought about it on the bike and realized I had two items to put on my list. First a very good bike fit for my bikes. Not the 10 minute one you get when you buy a bike, but the kind you have to pay for that can take well over an hour if done well. Second, a new pair of bike and tri shorts. It has been quite a few years and miles since I replaced a pair, and I like to have 2 of each available, so those will now be on my list.
2013-01-02 7:55 AM
in reply to: #4557268

, Florida

Rewards-

I do little things until I can get to the big things.  If I drop 5 pounds,better my times or lift more weigh, I load new songs on the iPod.   Achievements = more music

2013-01-02 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Current reward I'm training for is new running shoes.... mine will be fine for another couple months but I've promised myself that as long as I keep up with my workouts through february, I am going to a running store and getting my stride and all that looked at so I get the perfect shoes for me
2013-01-02 11:00 AM

I like to reward myself every now and again with some new workout clothes.   I really should set goals for myself as to when I do that.   Hmmm...something to think about!

2013-01-02 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4557719

Emmanem - 2013-01-02 11:06 AM Current reward I'm training for is new running shoes.... mine will be fine for another couple months but I've promised myself that as long as I keep up with my workouts through february, I am going to a running store and getting my stride and all that looked at so I get the perfect shoes for me

I did this a few years ago when I started to train for a marathon and I was amazed at how great it was.  I was wearing totally wrong shoes for me feet.  The guy recommended a new pair and it was amazing at how much better they felt when running.    Definitely do it when you get a chance.  I know at our local Road Runners store it is a free consultation!

2013-01-02 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4557847

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Lauriep717 - 2013-01-02 11:00 AM

I like to reward myself every now and again with some new workout clothes.   I really should set goals for myself as to when I do that.   Hmmm...something to think about!

I was thinking the exact same thing.  I'll add that to my to do list.  I still need to work on my short/long-term goals for this year outside of any kind of training related items.  Maybe this will be the year that I read 12 non-fiction books!

2013-01-02 3:14 PM

User image

New user

Rewards:

I love to buy new workout clothes but I tend to use that as a motivation, rather than a reward. Sometimes I like to get something pretty as a reward...new earrings, a scarf or a cool hat. But in general, I try to view the completion of the goal as the reward itself.

2013-01-02 7:21 PM
in reply to: #4557719

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

New running shoes sounds like a good idea. They are probably one of the most important investments you can make to stay healthy. If the bottoms of your shoes are worn, then they should probably be replaced as running shoes. What I tend to do is buy the new shoes and only wear them for running for about 200 miles. By then the cushion is worn out, and I turn them into everyday walking around shoes.

The problem with running in worn shoes is if you have a problem with running, IE running on the outsides of your shoes, as they wear, the problem will get worse. This can cause poor running form and possible injury.

One last running shoe point before I get off my soap box. Just because your friend wears brand X, dose not mean they are right for you. When I read reviews in runners world, I had pair that I thought I would buy. Then I went to a good running store, and they fit me in a completely different pair. Was the best investment I made in running.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing

2013-01-03 6:18 AM
in reply to: #4558905

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Ontherun - 2013-01-02 7:21 PM

New running shoes sounds like a good idea. They are probably one of the most important investments you can make to stay healthy. If the bottoms of your shoes are worn, then they should probably be replaced as running shoes. What I tend to do is buy the new shoes and only wear them for running for about 200 miles. By then the cushion is worn out, and I turn them into everyday walking around shoes.

The problem with running in worn shoes is if you have a problem with running, IE running on the outsides of your shoes, as they wear, the problem will get worse. This can cause poor running form and possible injury.

One last running shoe point before I get off my soap box. Just because your friend wears brand X, dose not mean they are right for you. When I read reviews in runners world, I had pair that I thought I would buy. Then I went to a good running store, and they fit me in a completely different pair. Was the best investment I made in running.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing

Yeah, as much as I would love to wear the cool looking minimalist shoes, I have to wear the clunky motion control/stability ones.  I also highly recommend getting custom orthotics.  My podiatrist and I have been very close friends the past 2 years due to a plantar faciitis injury and bunion surgery.  I will say that after I got fitted for orthotics, my feet never felt so good. 

2013-01-03 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4554763

, Florida
Ontherun - 2012-12-31 8:43 AM

This is probably one of my favorite articles. It is on the 5 minute rule of training. Everyone should read this.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=540

And this is probably my favorite article I have written about a workout.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=983

Great reads! Amazing how different things can look in the light and in the dark. Still pretty sure with my grace and coordination, I would break my neck! lol

2013-01-03 8:33 AM

, Florida

Swimming---

Hi Joe

Please let me know what you think about this information:  http://www.swimsmooth.com/

I wont actually hit the pool until February 1 but visualizing helps me think about body position.

Cheers

2013-01-03 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4557268

New user
Columbus, OH

I like the idea of getting something as a motivator. I guess this probably sounds silly, as we are all training for a tri, but I don't have an actual road/tri bike. So that's on my shopping list!

Does everyone already have a bike? I've been doing spin classes at my gym to start and build up a base and hope that can suffice for training while I save up for one. Probably road, since I could (theoretically) use it to commute to work. What do you all have? Should I expect to pay around 1000 for one?

2013-01-03 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4559532

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
goodgirl3468 - 2013-01-03 8:33 AM

Swimming---

Hi Joe

Please let me know what you think about this information:  http://www.swimsmooth.com/

I wont actually hit the pool until February 1 but visualizing helps me think about body position.

Cheers

I don't know about Joe, but I think that site looks fantastic!

2013-01-03 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4559366

New user
Columbus, OH

Minimalist ones are totally not for me, either. I hear that!

I found that shops dedicated to running really have a good handle on what shoes work. They did an analysis of my gait, foot impressions, etc., for free, and their systems matched me up with the right pair of shoes. Cool technology.

2013-01-03 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4560633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
cbus_runner - 2013-01-03 3:46 PM

I like the idea of getting something as a motivator. I guess this probably sounds silly, as we are all training for a tri, but I don't have an actual road/tri bike. So that's on my shopping list!

Does everyone already have a bike? I've been doing spin classes at my gym to start and build up a base and hope that can suffice for training while I save up for one. Probably road, since I could (theoretically) use it to commute to work. What do you all have? Should I expect to pay around 1000 for one?

For this race, I will be using my cheap bike that I got at Target just like I did for the first two.  I'd like to get a new bike one day, but it's just not in the budget right now.  I did change out the tires which helped a little.

2013-01-03 4:23 PM

cbus_runner - 2013-01-03 4:46 PM

No new bike for me yet either.  I am going to use my mountain bike that I already have to start out.    Not sure I want to shell out a lot of money before trying this out first.   For now, I have been riding the bike at the gym, and as the weather gets a little warmer, I will take the mountain bike out.

I did sign up for the Jordan Rapp Tri Bike giveaway that I saw posted on here last week, so who knows maybe I will get lucky and get a new bike afterall!  LOL

2013-01-03 5:36 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Sorry not to be on yet today.

On swimming, that site looks good. Also look into Total Immersion swimming. Sometimes you can pick up something at the library on the TI swimming.

Minimalist shoes, I have a pair and love my vibram 5 fingers. THEY ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE. I had been trying to convert to something like the Chi running style when I got my 5 fingers. They helped me find a more efficient form. Not that I am any faster, but I love the way I feel when I am running well in them. Mind you, running and I are not exactly on the same page. It is my weakest discipline.

On the topic of a bike. A good road bike will start in the $1000 range. I strongly recommend trying to find a loaner, or a bike on Craig s list for short money. I hate seeing someone drop big money on a bike they may only use for one season. The biggest issues with a used bike is safety and fit. Even a new bike from a box store like Walmart might need to be tuned by a bike shop to make sure they are safe. The fit is huge to be efficient and to feel comfortable.

Quick riding tips. Your cadence (RPM) of your pedals should be in the 80- 100 RPM range. Also your leg should be almost fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke, but not locked out. I know this is just a tiny bit of info, and I am willing to share more if you guys want it.

2013-01-03 6:12 PM

Any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to check my bike seat height tomorrow, I was wondering how to put it and now I know!! Good tip about the RPM, I will have to see what I am doing exactly.
2013-01-03 8:12 PM

User image

Master
cbus_runner - 2013-01-03 4:46 PM

When I started training for my first triathlon I did not own a bike nor did I have the money for one being a broke college student so for a couple months I just used the stationary bikes at the gym until my fiance bought me a road bike for an early birthday gift just so I could do my triathlon  It's not anything fancy or expensive (think he paid $250 on ebay) but it serves it's purpose and has worked well for my needs.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun and gearing up-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10