Canada
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 157/163
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 12/12
Pre-race routine:

I got up and ate Special K, drank some gatorade and a liter of water. Watched some tv and waited for Heather to show up!
Event warmup:

Stressed out in the transition area, walked around a bit... spent a lot of unhappy time in a port a potty!! Put on my wetsuit and splashed around a bit to get used to the glacial water!
Swim
  • 35m 28s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

I thought the swim was good. I was really excited the whole way. I remembered to get in and get wet so I would not lose my breath with the first dunk underwater. I tried really hard not to get panicky about the weeds. I am very happy with my swim. It was on par with the time I anticipated.
What would you do differently?:

I did go off course due to poor sighting. I would also like to learn bi lateral breath so I could avoid the sun glare (among other efficiency reasons). I also need to practice more in the wetsuit. My shoulders were killing me due to the restrictions.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

I had to tie my bike shoes... that took a long time... I also starting getting a cramp in my calf which meant I could not shove the shoes on the way I normally do. Other than that, I was very happy with the transition.

New shows without laces... practice without socks.
Bike
  • 1h 54m 58s
  • 40 kms
  • 20.88 km/hr
Comments:

I am slow. My bike is heavy and slow. I had fun on the ride. I smiled the whole way. Maybe I didn't push hard enough?? I don't know, but I can't complain. Upright and smiling was the goal. I also ate two gels one in the first 10 minutes and one with about 20 minutes to go.

Work harder... push harder. I could have been a little more hardcore.I also really should have drank more water. It was a hot day and I started losing focus later in the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I was excited to get off the bike. I was starting to taste the finish even though the big challenge was yet to come.

Nothing special.
Run
  • 1h 16m 15s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 37s  min/km
Comments:

I was intimidated by the hill. I was hot. I was getting dehydrated. I was still smiling. I let the hill go to my head and I walked the hill entirely on my last loop. Interesting enough, I thought that the run time would be more like 1:20, so I was quicker than I thought.

More hill training and definitely more water.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of hugs from my cheering squad. Some stretching, but not enough. About 1 litre of water and a lot of endurade... More stretching. One protein bar.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am not hardcore. I have not trained as hard as I could have and I am slightly lacking in the competitive spirit. I spent a lot of time cheerily thanking the volunteers and encouraging the people passing me! I also think I was dehydrated due to the GI problems pre race, and the heat.

Event comments:

This was my first race, and I FINISHED!! UPRIGHT AND SMILING. Regardless of my self depracation... I am very VERY happy with my result. I got exactly what I wanted. My results are not surprising. I predicted my times almost exactly. I had the most fantastic cheering squad who came to cheer me on and they all think that I am a winner. I think I am a winner too. I was also complimented by strangers for always smiling. Every photo of me in the race, I am smiling (lots of photos too)... I am a triathlete. I also met a fellow BTer who was FANTASTIC! Hats off to Calgary runner! This was great. I am really proud of myself. I am so happy for all the support I received. I am not ready to say "bring it on", but I have never felt so great in my whole life! Yay Me!

Last updated: 2006-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:28 | 1500 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/12
Overall: 134/163
Performance: Good
My HR was above 165 within the firat 2 minutes of the start and stayed there the entire race. I went way off course at one point... kind of zig zagged around...
Suit: O'Neill Wetsuit
Course: 3 laps around the course in a tiny clovershaped lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 15C / 59F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:54:58 | 40 kms | 20.88 km/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/163
Performance:
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: When it was up, it was very very up, and when it was down it was awesome! AWESOME! I was cheering out loud. However, I learned that my bike is very slow. On the downhill, I was going full speed and was easily passed by other competitors. 4 identical loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:16:15 | 10 kms | 07m 37s  min/km
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 158/163
Performance: Below average
Course: This course had a big hill at the beginning, 2 water stations and some kids with hoses. I admit to being intimidated by the hill. I have hill trained a lot, but I let it get to my head.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-27 12:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Arbour Lake Triathlon

2006-06-27 1:06 AM
in reply to: #466864

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Arbour Lake Triathlon

This was my first race, and I FINISHED!! UPRIGHT AND SMILING.

I can't think of a better way to finish!!  Congrats, triathlete!  Great job! 

2006-06-27 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
Congrats!!! My goal in July is the same as yours. I am jealous though, you got hugs after your race. After I finish a 5K noone wants to come too close to me, I swear my sweat isn't leathal. Keep up the great work.
2006-06-27 10:23 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Congratulations Triathlete! Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Arbour Lake Triathlon Rss Feed