General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good places to bike train in SLO County Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-31 12:15 PM

User image

Subject: Good places to bike train in SLO County

Hi All,

I am new to triathlons, and I will be competing in the Wildflower Triathlon this May. I was wondering if any other SLO County locals had a good place to bike? I would like something out of the way so I can practice getting into the aero tuck without fear of becoming someone's hood ornament : )

2012-12-31 10:27 PM
in reply to: #4555201

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: Good places to bike train in SLO County

There are countless places to bike, all of which people would pay big bucks to do on vacation if only we didn't keep them all secret I'm most familiar with the roads above the Cuesta Grade, in Wildflower land. The only real way to become familiar is to link up with the bike or tri groups. In North County, there are at least four or five groups. Major groups below the Grade include SLO Velo, the SLO Bike Club, and others who you can find with calls to the major stores like Art's and Foothill.

Above the Grade, there are rides and groups from K-Man, Go For It!, the SLO club local rides, and others, like my buddies on Team Tuesday Thursday. There's a friendly bike culture in the county, and a lot of good riders.

This time of year, there are spin groups that the stores and clubs sponsor.

Have fun for me! There's a reason the Wildflower Century sells out in a few hours and the Great Western rally is so popular.

2013-01-02 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4555958

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Pacific John,

It looks like the link you have to the Central Coast Tri Club is dead, do they have a new site or other web presence?

2013-01-04 9:46 PM

User image

Thanks for the tips! I should check out the local clubs. Of course, it never occurred to me to just ride as much of the actual route as possible. Also, does the Olympic course registration sell out quick? I have been putting off paying for it and I don't want to regret it.

Thanks!

2013-01-05 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Thanks for posting.  Just moved to the area, and I'm looking for a running or tri group as well.  Any luck?
2013-01-05 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4558726

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
MOlsen - 2013-01-02 3:24 AM

Pacific John,

It looks like the link you have to the Central Coast Tri Club is dead, do they have a new site or other web presence?

Yeah, I just noticed that. It looks like the CC tri club runs via email and facebook:.

2013-01-05 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4563019

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
azuro - 2013-01-04 7:46 AM

Thanks for the tips! I should check out the local clubs. Of course, it never occurred to me to just ride as much of the actual route as possible. Also, does the Olympic course registration sell out quick? I have been putting off paying for it and I don't want to regret it.

Thanks!

I've never done the Wildflower tri, but I'd call K-Man or Go For it! They'll know. I'm under the impression there's a lot of capacity, and it doesn't sell out quickly, if at all.

2013-01-05 4:44 PM

User image

I'll have to try K-man. They are local, and it's always good to support the LBS. 

I registered last night for the Olympic course! I got nervous that it would fill up, so I figured that I would nip it in the bud, rather than regret it later. 

2013-01-05 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4563803

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Super. Ask for Keith, who owns the bike and running stores and sponsors his tri group, and tell him John from Palm Springs sent you. I'll see him at the pool when I'm there.
2013-01-05 11:31 PM
in reply to: #4563853

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California

Clicking around tonight, I tripped across this list of Wheelmen rides: http://www.cpslowheelmen.org/road.php

The first loop on 1 and LOVR is classic. Ride early to avoid the wind. The out and back to Lopez is gorgeous. I like the loop to AG.

Also, check out the SLOBC rides here: http://www.slobc.org/local-rides/favorite.html

The Pozo loop is the best. Do it a few times, and you'll win bike splits, for sure. There are some Peachy Canyon loops that are must-dos, but stay off NLD, there's too much fast traffic.

2013-01-06 3:23 AM

User image

Thanks for the locations and advice. I'll hit up Keith and drop your name : ) I need to get some cleats for the awesome Carnac bike shoes that were kindly given to me by a retiring triathlete. It sort of makes up for the hit I took when I sold off my Mountain Cycles San Andreas to fund my tri bike. *sighs*. She found a good home though...

2013-01-07 4:28 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Thanks for the links and info about the local shops.  I'll have to check out Go For It as the local bike shops in SLO have limited Tri specific gear.

The ride from SLO to Avila is a fun ~25 mile round trip.  If you don't mind going slow the Bob Jones Trail MUP is a nice way to stay away from traffic, although Avila Beach Drive doesn't have all that much traffic.

2013-01-07 10:51 PM
in reply to: #4566788

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Love, love, love to run the Bob Jones trail, too. Also, if you're temped to swim in chilly water, keep an eye out for the Avila Dolphins. I might see you there on Wednesdays once the days get longer.
2013-04-17 11:49 PM

User image

New user

Santa Maria, CA
The folks at Central Coast Tri-sport club could def. Help you out. They are at:
http://cctrisportclub.com/

If you are into trail running, any of the great trails like johnson ranch, irish hills, etc are great. As far as riding goes, try orcutt/tankfarm out to lopez lake. Thats usually pretty nice with some space. Broad out to pismo is good too or just go out HW1 from cal poly, turn around at baywood park just before morro bay or just make the loop out to los osos and back to town on los osos valley road. Happy riding.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good places to bike train in SLO County Rss Feed