Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Senator Feinstein's gun bill in light of DC v Heller - Constitutional questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-01-09 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4563361

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Senator Feinstein's gun bill in light of DC v Heller - Constitutional questions

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

There is no confusion regarding what the founders of our country had in mind.  There was none then, there is none now. 

It's kind of a silly argument in the end.....I don't know a single owner who would turn his guns into the government.  It's mostly "feel good" legislation to keep the uninformed/scared believing that the govt. is looking out for their interests. 

2013-01-09 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4570321

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Senator Feinstein's gun bill in light of DC v Heller - Constitutional questions
powerman - 2013-01-09 12:43 PM
Big Appa - 2013-01-09 12:27 PM

I do not believe that Obama will do anything substantial in office this includes coming after our firearms. If you look at his past votes for gun control he never votes strongly one way or the other just like most of his votes. He will stay the middle path never straying too far one way or the other.

It's funny you say that... I think things are a little different and there is strong support for something to get done. But I can't help think that Obama has been pretty ineffectual on most things and he has a full plate with fiscal problems. I guess we will see.

But there are plenty others that want to do something. we shall see I guess. This bill is ridiculous in scope, but I suspect "something" to pass.

Yeah Feinstein's bill is DOA. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10 round mag bill go thru. Maybe even a no scary looking guns bill, but even that was so ridiculous last time that I don't know if it would pass again. 

2013-01-09 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4570346

User image

Champion
SoCal
Aarondb4 - 2013-01-09 11:51 AM
powerman - 2013-01-09 12:43 PM
Big Appa - 2013-01-09 12:27 PM

I do not believe that Obama will do anything substantial in office this includes coming after our firearms. If you look at his past votes for gun control he never votes strongly one way or the other just like most of his votes. He will stay the middle path never straying too far one way or the other.

It's funny you say that... I think things are a little different and there is strong support for something to get done. But I can't help think that Obama has been pretty ineffectual on most things and he has a full plate with fiscal problems. I guess we will see.

But there are plenty others that want to do something. we shall see I guess. This bill is ridiculous in scope, but I suspect "something" to pass.

Yeah Feinstein's bill is DOA. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10 round mag bill go thru. Maybe even a no scary looking guns bill, but even that was so ridiculous last time that I don't know if it would pass again. 

The worst I could see is the rest of the country having the same rules as CA like the 10 round mag rules and more restrictions like 10 day waiting.

2013-01-09 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4570338

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Left Brain - 2013-01-09 12:48 PM

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

There is no confusion regarding what the founders of our country had in mind.  There was none then, there is none now. 

It's kind of a silly argument in the end.....I don't know a single owner who would turn his guns into the government.  It's mostly "feel good" legislation to keep the uninformed/scared believing that the govt. is looking out for their interests. 

Agreed.

I worry about what they might try with ammo. Sure you can have your guns but you will need a loan to buy bullets for them sort of thing. 

2013-01-15 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4570338

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Left Brain - 2013-01-09 1:48 PM

Wrong.  There are many theories and sub-texts concerning the intent the "founders" had in mind with the second amendment.  Here is one: "The Hidden History of the Second Amendment", by Professor Carl T. Bogus.

And there is no evidence that Jefferson ever said or wrote your second quote.   http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/strongest-reason-people-to-retain-right-to-keep-and-bear-arms-quotation

2013-01-15 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4579138

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
ejshowers - 2013-01-15 10:18 AM
Left Brain - 2013-01-09 1:48 PM

Wrong.  There are many theories and sub-texts concerning the intent the "founders" had in mind with the second amendment.  Here is one: "The Hidden History of the Second Amendment", by Professor Carl T. Bogus.

And there is no evidence that Jefferson ever said or wrote your second quote.   http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/strongest-reason-people-to-retain-right-to-keep-and-bear-arms-quotation

Is... "The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not be Infringed" ... really that difficult to understand?  The SCOTUS seemed to feel it was pretty simple.

2013-01-15 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4579359

User image

Master
Denver
TriRSquared - 2013-01-15 10:01 AM

Is... "The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not be Infringed" ... really that difficult to understand?  The SCOTUS seemed to feel it was pretty simple.

So in that context, how do you interpret (or what do you see as the meaning of) the 'well regulated militia' clause of the amendment?
2013-01-15 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4579436

User image

Elite
drewb8 - 2013-01-15 10:32 AM

So in that context, how do you interpret (or what do you see as the meaning of) the 'well regulated militia' clause of the amendment?

I can't speak for Tri... but I interpret the clause the same way the Heller ruling interpreted it... as separate and not connected. That it does not mean I can only bear arms for militia use or if I am in a militia.

Other court ruling have defined arms, and Miller defined arms to mean consistent with weapons in common use. McDonald vs Chicago post Heller ruled personal arms in common use.

Both sides love to throw out Founders intents, and SCOTUS ruling to prove their case. Miller also ruled it was Constitutional to regulate "unusual" weapons and upheld the NFA and registering fully auto weapons. Heller also hinted it would be legal for DC to require permits for hand guns... but they HAD to issue permits.

Bottom line is all we have is legal precedence and SCOTUS rulings and guess at how the Court would interpret new challenges. What has been clearly established is exactly what it says in the Constitution.... "The right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed." What arms that pertains to and what amount they can be regulated is what we are all debating. Heller ruled that the Founders not envisioning modern personal arms was nonsense. They pointed out all the other modern things the Constitution applies to.

Edited by powerman 2013-01-15 11:46 AM
2013-01-15 12:06 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
drewb8 - 2013-01-15 11:32 AM

Heritage.org has a decent essay that covers a lot of the history of the 2nd Amendment.  This essay is a little dated because I believe it is before the Heller decision where the SCOTUS determines the 2nd Amendment to be an individual right, but it's really good for the history.

Disclaimer, Heritage is a conservative site but the essay seems very balanced.

http://www.heritage.org/constitution/#!/amendments/2/essays/142/to-keep-and-bear-arms

2013-01-15 12:09 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
drewb8 - 2013-01-15 12:32 PM

Read the decision, if I remember at least 5 pages of the majority opinion is dedicated to this exact question.

2013-01-15 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4579503

User image

Elite
tuwood - 2013-01-15 11:06 AM
drewb8 - 2013-01-15 11:32 AM

Heritage.org has a decent essay that covers a lot of the history of the 2nd Amendment.  This essay is a little dated because I believe it is before the Heller decision where the SCOTUS determines the 2nd Amendment to be an individual right, but it's really good for the history.

Disclaimer, Heritage is a conservative site but the essay seems very balanced.

http://www.heritage.org/constitution/#!/amendments/2/essays/142/to-keep-and-bear-arms

That was a good read. Especially the consideration of the 14th... since 20110 McDonald vs Chicago settled that question. The 2A does apply to states. And Heller ruled it is an individual right.

I have never held that "shall not infringe" does nt mean there can be no regulation... but MANY pro 2A people believe it to mean exactly that. An absolute bar. That the 2A is the ONLY amendment that specifically states it. I have no illusion that any SCOTUS will hold the same opinion... as none ever have.

But be it now, or later... there will certainly be a SCOTUS case that rules what is appropriate for "The People" to have, and how that individual right is balanced against others of safety.

So far the Court has ruled full auto weapons are not appropriate and are subject to strict control. I have a very hard time believing semi-autos will ever fall under such control. If semi-auto actions are deemed acceptable... then limits restrictions on cosmetic features are nothing more than mere window dressing and feel good measures that accomplish nothing... much like every other legislation that comes from DC.

2013-01-15 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4579459

User image

Master
Denver
powerman - 2013-01-15 10:43 AM

I can't speak for Tri... but I interpret the clause the same way the Heller ruling interpreted it... as separate and not connected. That it does not mean I can only bear arms for militia use or if I am in a militia.

Other court ruling have defined arms, and Miller defined arms to mean consistent with weapons in common use. McDonald vs Chicago post Heller ruled personal arms in common use.

Both sides love to throw out Founders intents, and SCOTUS ruling to prove their case. Miller also ruled it was Constitutional to regulate "unusual" weapons and upheld the NFA and registering fully auto weapons. Heller also hinted it would be legal for DC to require permits for hand guns... but they HAD to issue permits.

Bottom line is all we have is legal precedence and SCOTUS rulings and guess at how the Court would interpret new challenges. What has been clearly established is exactly what it says in the Constitution.... "The right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed." What arms that pertains to and what amount they can be regulated is what we are all debating. Heller ruled that the Founders not envisioning modern personal arms was nonsense. They pointed out all the other modern things the Constitution applies to.

I actually agree with you that the militia clause is not meant to mean that the right to bear arms only applies to those in a miltia.  But in allowing for restrictions on military-style weapons Heller is essentially severing the right to bear arms from the founders original intent as a defense against tyranny.  The majority even admits that this makes the 2A useless for this purpose in their decision.  But if you're using Miller like you say to define ok arms as those that are in common use, that seems to me to be a very "living constitution" interpretation.  It is taking current societal views and context into account when coming to a decision.  According to that rationale, if we were deciding this in the 1890's, it would be ok to ban semi-automatics because they were not in common use at the time.  If you are taking societal views into account, wouldn't that mean that you could change what are considered ok weapons as societies views change, especially since it is no longer dependent on the founders intent of providing a backstop against oppression?
2013-01-15 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4579617

User image

Elite
drewb8 - 2013-01-15 11:57 AM

I actually agree with you that the militia clause is not meant to mean that the right to bear arms only applies to those in a miltia.  But in allowing for restrictions on military-style weapons Heller is essentially severing the right to bear arms from the founders original intent as a defense against tyranny.  The majority even admits that this makes the 2A useless for this purpose in their decision.  But if you're using Miller like you say to define ok arms as those that are in common use, that seems to me to be a very "living constitution" interpretation.  It is taking current societal views and context into account when coming to a decision.  According to that rationale, if we were deciding this in the 1890's, it would be ok to ban semi-automatics because they were not in common use at the time.  If you are taking societal views into account, wouldn't that mean that you could change what are considered ok weapons as societies views change, especially since it is no longer dependent on the founders intent of providing a backstop against oppression?

Heller was a ban on hand guns. The court ruled that DC could not ban a weapon that a huge majority of the population deemed appropriate for personal defense. It was not about "assault weapons" or semi-autos because the DC ban included revolvers. The court hinted it could require a permit for hand guns, but that DC had to issue the permits. DC originally said one needed a permit to own a hand gun... then made it impossible to actually get one. They just went further to say the 2A was an individual right because DC held it was a collective right and did not apply to citizens.

I am taking common use as defined by Miller... in that it is common use "personal fire arms". And common to militia use. The short barreled shot gun was not deemed "common use"... even though they were widely used in war... "trench gun". But Miller did not show up in court so that side of the case was not argued and the court ruled it so. So fully auto is of common use to the militia, but not "common use" for a personal arm. Meaning, me personally, I have no use to lay down suppressing fire with a belt fed machine gun. After that I am just guessing... You could read the decisions your self and come away with a completely different take on it.

While semi-auto was not common use then... it certainly is now. And I can argue that I have the need to have a mag fed semi-auto for personal defense, and it would still be effective as a personal arm against tyranny... not that my semi-auto is going to win a war... but that I can be an effective soldier showing up in a civil war with my semi-auto rifle. That is how I take it. Not that we can all defeat the US Army with semi-autos... in a civil war both sides will be armed with modern weaponry from defections and sides being taken... but that I can show up and participate as a common man foot soldier with my semi-auto... exactly what was expected way back in the day.

At some point, the country will decide what is appropriate for a common arm. The action itself... a semi-auto pistol or rifle.. is just that. A bayonet lug is irrelevant and so is a barrel shroud or pistol grip or forearm. I do not see a problem with a that and do not foresee one anytime soon.

But what about Phasers? Ya, I'm talking Star Trek. A gun that you point at somebody and they instantly die... well I suppose at some point those will be available and common and allow me to be effective in a militia... but to think of people just pointing a object with instant death... well... I can't see that being a good thing, even in the context of all my current arguments against gun control... Hopefully when we get there we will be as evolved they are and we will cure mental disease and have no crime.

2013-01-15 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4579673

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
powerman - 2013-01-15 1:27 PM
drewb8 - 2013-01-15 11:57 AM

Heller was a ban on hand guns. The court ruled that DC could not ban a weapon that a huge majority of the population deemed appropriate for personal defense. It was not about "assault weapons" or semi-autos because the DC ban included revolvers. The court hinted it could require a permit for hand guns, but that DC had to issue the permits. DC originally said one needed a permit to own a hand gun... then made it impossible to actually get one. They just went further to say the 2A was an individual right because DC held it was a collective right and did not apply to citizens.

I am taking common use as defined by Miller... in that it is common use "personal fire arms". And common to militia use. The short barreled shot gun was not deemed "common use"... even though they were widely used in war... "trench gun". But Miller did not show up in court so that side of the case was not argued and the court ruled it so. So fully auto is of common use to the militia, but not "common use" for a personal arm. Meaning, me personally, I have no use to lay down suppressing fire with a belt fed machine gun. After that I am just guessing... You could read the decisions your self and come away with a completely different take on it.

While semi-auto was not common use then... it certainly is now. And I can argue that I have the need to have a mag fed semi-auto for personal defense, and it would still be effective as a personal arm against tyranny... not that my semi-auto is going to win a war... but that I can be an effective soldier showing up in a civil war with my semi-auto rifle. That is how I take it. Not that we can all defeat the US Army with semi-autos... in a civil war both sides will be armed with modern weaponry from defections and sides being taken... but that I can show up and participate as a common man foot soldier with my semi-auto... exactly what was expected way back in the day.

At some point, the country will decide what is appropriate for a common arm. The action itself... a semi-auto pistol or rifle.. is just that. A bayonet lug is irrelevant and so is a barrel shroud or pistol grip or forearm. I do not see a problem with a that and do not foresee one anytime soon.

But what about Phasers? Ya, I'm talking Star Trek. A gun that you point at somebody and they instantly die... well I suppose at some point those will be available and common and allow me to be effective in a militia... but to think of people just pointing a object with instant death... well... I can't see that being a good thing, even in the context of all my current arguments against gun control... Hopefully when we get there we will be as evolved they are and we will cure mental disease and have no crime.

I want a phaser.  Would be much lighter to carry and I could put it on my key chain. 

Plus, I could always set it to stun which would be hours of fun with my cat.

2013-01-15 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4579725

User image

Elite
tuwood - 2013-01-15 12:57 PM

I want a phaser.  Would be much lighter to carry and I could put it on my key chain. 

Plus, I could always set it to stun which would be hours of fun with my cat.

Eventually it will be part of your cell phone, just like their communicators... the little phaser/communicator will be personal arms, but the full power hand phaser will be regulated.

Of course, NY will pass a law saying you can own a grandfathered phaser... but you can only have ti set to stun. Thank God we know future criminals will not be allowed to set it on kill.

Edited by powerman 2013-01-15 2:05 PM
2013-01-15 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Denver
powerman - 2013-01-15 12:27 PM 

If you can be effective resisting tyranny with a semi-auto though, just think how effective you'd be with a fully auto, or some stinger missiles!  In other words, if the point is to be able to resist tyranny, these limitations are not allowing people to exercise their right to it's fullest.

If a 'common weapon' is the type an ordinary citizen would bring to militia service in order to resist an invasion (as would have been the case in colonial times), but at the same time it's ok to limit those weapons to types that would be minimally effective for that purpose (ie non-military weapons), then where you set the line at what is allowable and what isn't is totally arbitrary, isn't it?  how do you argue that one gun is constitutionally protected but the next one isn't?  If it's ok to abridge the right to arms and diminish the ability to resist by banning machine guns, why then wouldn't it be ok to abridge it a little more and ban hand guns?  After all, I'm sure I show up and participate if I had a shotgun.  how do you draw the line?

If a 'common weapon' is simply one that is prevalent in today's society, then that has nothing to do with what one would bring to militia service in order to effectively resist and basically severs the right from the constitutional purpose of resisting tyranny,as they stated in Heller.  It opens it up to the whims of the time in a living-constitution manner and asks for modern interpretations and contexts in deciding what is common and allowable and what isn't.  If we ban handguns then all of the sudden it's not a common arm, now is it?  Perhaps if we relaxed the ban on RPG's everyone would have one and they'd be a common arm and then they'd be ok in that case?  If people suddenly got rid of all their handguns and they weren't common any more then suddenly the constitutional protections would change and it would be ok to ban them?  That seems ugly to me.

Either way, if the line is arbitrary and based on popular beliefs, then drawing the line for what is allowed/not allowed at single action vs semi-auto is no more or less valid than drawing it at semi-auto vs fully auto, right?  It all just depends on what society wants at that point in time and if that line changes next year that would be ok?

2013-01-15 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4580021

User image

drewb8 - 2013-01-15 2:27 PM
powerman - 2013-01-15 12:27 PM 

If you can be effective resisting tyranny with a semi-auto though, just think how effective you'd be with a fully auto, or some stinger missiles!  In other words, if the point is to be able to resist tyranny, these limitations are not allowing people to exercise their right to it's fullest.

If a 'common weapon' is the type an ordinary citizen would bring to militia service in order to resist an invasion (as would have been the case in colonial times), but at the same time it's ok to limit those weapons to types that would be minimally effective for that purpose (ie non-military weapons), then where you set the line at what is allowable and what isn't is totally arbitrary, isn't it?  how do you argue that one gun is constitutionally protected but the next one isn't?  If it's ok to abridge the right to arms and diminish the ability to resist by banning machine guns, why then wouldn't it be ok to abridge it a little more and ban hand guns?  After all, I'm sure I show up and participate if I had a shotgun.  how do you draw the line?

If a 'common weapon' is simply one that is prevalent in today's society, then that has nothing to do with what one would bring to militia service in order to effectively resist and basically severs the right from the constitutional purpose of resisting tyranny,as they stated in Heller.  It opens it up to the whims of the time in a living-constitution manner and asks for modern interpretations and contexts in deciding what is common and allowable and what isn't.  If we ban handguns then all of the sudden it's not a common arm, now is it?  Perhaps if we relaxed the ban on RPG's everyone would have one and they'd be a common arm and then they'd be ok in that case?  If people suddenly got rid of all their handguns and they weren't common any more then suddenly the constitutional protections would change and it would be ok to ban them?  That seems ugly to me.

Either way, if the line is arbitrary and based on popular beliefs, then drawing the line for what is allowed/not allowed at single action vs semi-auto is no more or less valid than drawing it at semi-auto vs fully auto, right?  It all just depends on what society wants at that point in time and if that line changes next year that would be ok?

Drew my opinion the 2A was/is about is small arms. Small arms meaning pistols and rifles, hand held weapons that one person can operate proficiently and safely by themselves. I think if there is any argument that has constitutional merit it would be that the M16 or similar weapons should be allowed to be owned by law abiding citizens. Be that as it may, I'm not going to make the argument, I do think what is happening in NYC and what the Frankenstein Bill has in it equates to urinating on the document they have taken an oath to uphold.

Edited by crusevegas 2013-01-15 4:41 PM
2013-01-15 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4580034

User image

Master
Denver
crusevegas - 2013-01-15 3:40 PM

Drew my opinion the 2A was/is about is small arms. Small arms meaning pistols and rifles, hand held weapons that one person can operate proficiently and safely by themselves. I think if there is any argument that has constitutional merit it would be that the M16 or similar weapons should be allowed to be owned by law abiding citizens. Be that as it may, I'm not going to make the argument, I do think what is happening in NYC and what the Frankenstein Bill has in it equates to urinating on the document they have taken an oath to uphold.

If the intent of the amendment is to enable the resistance of oppression, why should it be limited to just small arms?
2013-01-15 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4580090

User image

drewb8 - 2013-01-15 3:23 PM

If the intent of the amendment is to enable the resistance of oppression, why should it be limited to just small arms?

This is just my opinion and I don't have any evidence or source to support it, but with small arms and some patriots in the army some of the weaponry you are referring to would available.

2A isn't just about defending ourselves from tyranny from our government but defending ourselves, our loved ones and our property. One real life instance exists daily for those who live in rural areas near the Mexican border. 

2013-01-15 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4580021

User image

Elite
drewb8 - 2013-01-15 3:27 PM

Well that is for the SCOTUS to figure out. It is the same regardless of subject. Most things come down to "reasonable person". What do most reasonable people think. Most rulings do not come down to absolutes and extremes.

And next, being armed is both for tyranny and self protection. So for tyranny, we need full auto... M-16s. But for self defense, we could just have a stun gun or pepper spray. Meaning if all the 2A meant was a way for self protection, then pepper spray would satisfy that. If all the 2A meant was to defeat a standing army, then we need all personal combat arms... Obviously the answer is in between. They specified arms as firearms because those were the most lethal deadly personal arm of the day... and they still are. And if I am to defend myself against commonly held weapons criminals have... then that means semi-auto pistols and rifles.

Because we all know full auto weapons are not a problem in this country and a red herring.... they are not because they are banned... but we also know semi-auto pistols and rifles are going know where because a hundred million Americans own them. So there you have it, common arms in common use.

2013-01-16 6:23 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
drewb8 - 2013-01-15 6:23 PM

The pro-gun side is not arguing for full auto weapons.  Even though we want to keep our guns for the true purpose of the 2A I'm willing (if God forbid it even comes to that) to go at it with what we currently have.

I do not want full auto weapons making their way into the hands of criminals.  Heck, we cannot even keep the semis out of their hands.

Essential the pro-gun camps has willfully given up the right to carry a machine gun, so why is it a standard argument for the anti-gun camps to try to ask why they are not legal too?

(side note: at the time of the writing of the 2A the citizen DID have the same firepower as the military.)

2013-01-16 7:49 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

here's what the U.S. Sup. Ct. ACTUALLY said in Heller about the notion of protection of items only at the time of the founders:

" Some have made the argument, bordering on the frivolous, that only those arms in existence in the 18th century are protected by the Second Amendment . We do not interpret constitutional rights that way. Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, e.g., Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521 U. S. 844, 849 (1997) , and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, e.g., Kyllo v. United States, 533 U. S. 27, 35–36 (2001) , the Second Amendment extends, prima facie,to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding."

2013-01-16 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4580580

User image

Elite
TriRSquared - 2013-01-16 5:23 AM
drewb8 - 2013-01-15 6:23 PM

The pro-gun side is not arguing for full auto weapons.  Even though we want to keep our guns for the true purpose of the 2A I'm willing (if God forbid it even comes to that) to go at it with what we currently have.

I do not want full auto weapons making their way into the hands of criminals.  Heck, we cannot even keep the semis out of their hands.

Essential the pro-gun camps has willfully given up the right to carry a machine gun, so why is it a standard argument for the anti-gun camps to try to ask why they are not legal too?

(side note: at the time of the writing of the 2A the citizen DID have the same firepower as the military.)

Exactly, and as I have said.... back then a fire arm was the most lethal powerful personal arm a person could own. They knew exactly what is was. It was a weapon that rendered every other personal arm that stood dominate for thousands of years obsolete in basically one generation.

2013-01-16 8:53 AM

User image

drewb8 - 2013-01-15 5:23 PM

Justice Scalia spoke to this on Fox News Sunday. Whether or not you are a Scalia fan it is certainly an insightful listen on how judges approach statutes and the Constitution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3oxckyicBY

2013-01-16 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4580787

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Jackemy1 - 2013-01-16 9:53 AM
drewb8 - 2013-01-15 5:23 PM

Justice Scalia spoke to this on Fox News Sunday. Whether or not you are a Scalia fan it is certainly an insightful listen on how judges approach statutes and the Constitution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3oxckyicBY

Fascinating interview. Thanks!  I doubt most people would devote the time to watch it however.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Senator Feinstein's gun bill in light of DC v Heller - Constitutional questions Rss Feed  

of 3