Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Why are mass shooting murderers always called Gun"Men"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-01-05 10:58 PM
in reply to: #4563505

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Why are mass shooting murderers always called Gun"Men"?

I would like to see a study done on how many of these people were medicated in any way at some point in the recent past, relative to their "incidents".   

My experiences are purely anecdotal, we really don't have time to study the people we deal with.

Still.....my experience tells me that the number is HUGE.

You want to know the most common comment I hear when someone goes on a "criminal spree" of any kind?  "He/she is off his/her medication".

I have said it 2 or 3 times already on these threads.....and I realize some don't particularly like it....the system to treat mentally ill people in our society is absolutely broken.  

2013-01-06 12:06 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Think she was found innocent?

Lizzie Borden took an axe And gave her mother forty whacks.  When she saw what she had done She gave her father forty-one.

2013-01-06 4:39 AM

User image

Elite
Women are too busy
2013-01-06 6:09 AM
in reply to: #4563958

User image

Saint Paul, MN
tuwood - 2013-01-05 6:46 PM

mr2tony - 2013-01-05 12:14 PM God in schools. That'll fix everything.

I think you're on to something T. 

Our maybe just on something.
2013-01-06 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4564184

User image

Elite
Left Brain - 2013-01-05 11:58 PM

I would like to see a study done on how many of these people were medicated in any way at some point in the recent past, relative to their "incidents".   

My experiences are purely anecdotal, we really don't have time to study the people we deal with.

You want to know the most common comment I hear when someone goes on a "criminal spree" of any kind?  "He/she is off his/her medication".

I have said it 2 or 3 times already on these threads.....and I realize some don't particularly like it....the system to treat mentally ill people in our society is absolutely broken.  

I like what you're saying.  It seems we've missed the "sweet spot" as a society moving from the institutionalizing of too many folks "back in the day" to today's system where there may not be enough folks institutionalized.  

btw, when it comes to serial killers/sprees/etc., we're a nation of 320 million people.  We're less than 5% of the world's population with access to over 40% of the world's firearms.  Lots of folks are going to be shot.  It comes with the territory.  

I still refuse to give in to the "world's going to hell in a hand-basket" line of thinking.  The genetic basis for mental illness was no different...and a lot of parents "back in the day" did a terrible job of raising their kids too.  Gangs existed, organized crime thrived, arsons occurred, murders occurred, children were abused, girls got pregnant...the difference is that "back in the day" a lot of murders went unsolved, and the abuse and pregnancies weren't spoken about.

More on-topic, the "men" aspect of the G-Men word is probably due to the fact women generally aren't the sex committing these heinous acts.  Let's face it, most women have been right all these years...men suck!  

2013-01-06 8:48 AM

User image

Left Brain - 2013-01-05 8:58 PM

Interesting question/point LB.

It would also be interesting to know how many if any had ever gone hunting as a kid.

2013-01-06 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4564388

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

crusevegas - It would also be interesting to know how many if any had ever gone hunting as a kid.

That's a great point.

In Frank Miniter's book The Politically Incorrect Guide to Hunting, he claims that none of the teenage or young adult mass shooters he knew of grew up hunting. I don't know if that's based on actual data or is just his opinion.

2013-01-06 3:07 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

Even if you locked up all the mentally ill, you wouldn't solve the problem. I forget where I read it, but I believe the statistic was that over 50% of homicides are perpetrated by people with no real mental illness. Just garden variety human emotions: anger, jealousy, revenge, etc.
2013-01-06 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4563988

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-01-05 7:10 PM
tuwood - 2013-01-05 7:46 PM

Why settle for the singular?  If God in schools = good, Gods in schools = even better!

...now, do we issue guns to these Gods......

I'm good with that.

In all seriousness I think a huge contributing factor to many of these things is individuals who grow up in an unstable family and lack morals in general.  So many kids growing up without Dad's and they are designed (or evolved) to need a father figure in their lives.  If they don't have that Father figure they go to fill that void all the wrong places.  Drugs, alcohol, gangs, you name it.

If a kid doesn't have a Dad, religion can provide that role and give them moral guidance.  Even if you don't believe in the religions itself, it's hard to argue with someone having a higher power to keep them on the up and up and give them hope in their life as being a good thing.

For one that has no hope, consequences mean nothing!

2013-01-06 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4564801

User image

Elite
tuwood - 2013-01-06 4:22 PM

Why settle for the singular?  If God in schools = good, Gods in schools = even better!

I'm good with that.

In all seriousness I think a huge contributing factor to many of these things is individuals who grow up in an unstable family and lack morals in general.  So many kids growing up without Dad's and they are designed (or evolved) to need a father figure in their lives.  If they don't have that Father figure they go to fill that void all the wrong places.  Drugs, alcohol, gangs, you name it.

If a kid doesn't have a Dad, religion can provide that role and give them moral guidance.  Even if you don't believe in the religions itself, it's hard to argue with someone having a higher power to keep them on the up and up and give them hope in their life as being a good thing.

Two of the flies in the ointment are, "What religion?," and, "Who decides?"  

As an aside, personally, I find it disappointing that it takes many folks a "belief in a higher power" to do the right things in life.  (as if, no final Judge?  I'm totally gonna do ANYTHING I wanna do!)  I've spoken with many religious folks who told me honestly, if there was no Higher Power, they'd do just that, anything they want to, right or wrong.  

btw, Tony, I really liked your quote:  "for one that has no hope, consequences mean nothing."   Then again, I couldn't help but think, "Just because one doesn't have a father, doesn't mean one has to have a Father."  

2013-01-06 5:52 PM
in reply to: #4564461

User image

dontracy - 2013-01-06 11:04 AM

crusevegas - It would also be interesting to know how many if any had ever gone hunting as a kid.

That's a great point.

In Frank Miniter's book The Politically Incorrect Guide to Hunting, he claims that none of the teenage or young adult mass shooters he knew of grew up hunting. I don't know if that's based on actual data or is just his opinion.

Yeah, interesting how kids raised without the overly interesting secret of firearms turn out.
http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/urdel.pdf

2013-01-06 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4564780

User image

Pro
Tripolar - 2013-01-06 3:07 PM

Even if you locked up all the mentally ill, you wouldn't solve the problem. I forget where I read it, but I believe the statistic was that over 50% of homicides are perpetrated by people with no real mental illness. Just garden variety human emotions: anger, jealousy, revenge, etc.

I would argue that killing any person, except in self-defense, makes you, by definition, mentally ill.

Here's the part you miss.  A gun doesn't kill another person any more than a knife, a spoon, a bottle of aspirin, a rope.  If you kill another person, or yourself, without the absolute need to protect yourself.....you are sick.

The issue is how to identify these people.  I agree that we could never hope to identify all of them.

BUT....when they articulate, themselves, the desire to kill themselves or others, much of the guesswork is taken out of the equation, wouldn't you agree?  It happens much more than you might think it does.  Those people, as soon as they utter those desires to a mandated reporter (in most cases that mean the police), are committed for an "observation period".  How long differs from state to state, but one thing is for sure.....the overwhelming majority (read...nearly ALL of them) are back out on the streets, or in their homes, within 48 hours.  It's absolutely ridiculous.

One of the issues that cloud the danger is that alot of them don't actually commit a violent crime against another person, or themselves, for a fairly long time frame after they are released....sometimes years.  I have the benefit of nearly 3 decades watching the same people run in and out of the system I described.....many of them commit their crimes far off of that radar....but it's never a surprise when they do.  They should have never been released......I'm sorry, some people can't live in society without being a danger to others.  The professionals know who they are as easily as the Police and their families, but they don't have the resources or won't take the responsibility.  

Guns are not the problem.  They are not evil.  They don't have the capability to be evil.

People have the capability, and some are.  If you get rid of them you solve the problem.  No, you can't get rid of all of them.....but you'll be much further down the road to solving this than if you were to get rid of a single gun.

2013-01-06 10:47 PM
in reply to: #4564905

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-01-06 4:42 PM
tuwood - 2013-01-06 4:22 PM

I'm good with that.

Two of the flies in the ointment are, "What religion?," and, "Who decides?"  

As an aside, personally, I find it disappointing that it takes many folks a "belief in a higher power" to do the right things in life.  (as if, no final Judge?  I'm totally gonna do ANYTHING I wanna do!)  I've spoken with many religious folks who told me honestly, if there was no Higher Power, they'd do just that, anything they want to, right or wrong.  

btw, Tony, I really liked your quote:  "for one that has no hope, consequences mean nothing."   Then again, I couldn't help but think, "Just because one doesn't have a father, doesn't mean one has to have a Father."  

I was mostly tongue in cheek with Tony about God in schools.  I was more generally talking about troubled youths having more access to religion (of any flavor) as being a good thing for society.

I think that it's difficult for people like you and I who have a moral compass to understand the need for a higher power to stay accountable, but I see it all the time and have many examples just like you mentioned.

I agree that people don't have to have a father and there are many examples of single parents who raise up good moral kids.  I just think that the ideal environment that has the highest probably of success for a child is a house with a loving mother and father.

I have to confess that I borrowed that quote from a local city council member in Omaha (Brenda Council).  She's a huge advocate for the inner city kids that grow up in broken homes.  We're big supporters of the Hope Center for kids which is a charity that took her quote and turned it into a mission statement to help these kids.

2013-01-07 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4565297

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Left Brain - 2013-01-06 8:08 PM

Tripolar - 2013-01-06 3:07 PM

I would argue that killing any person, except in self-defense, makes you, by definition, mentally ill.

Here's the part you miss.  A gun doesn't kill another person any more than a knife, a spoon, a bottle of aspirin, a rope.  If you kill another person, or yourself, without the absolute need to protect yourself.....you are sick.

The issue is how to identify these people.  I agree that we could never hope to identify all of them.

BUT....when they articulate, themselves, the desire to kill themselves or others, much of the guesswork is taken out of the equation, wouldn't you agree?  It happens much more than you might think it does.  Those people, as soon as they utter those desires to a mandated reporter (in most cases that mean the police), are committed for an "observation period".  How long differs from state to state, but one thing is for sure.....the overwhelming majority (read...nearly ALL of them) are back out on the streets, or in their homes, within 48 hours.  It's absolutely ridiculous.

One of the issues that cloud the danger is that alot of them don't actually commit a violent crime against another person, or themselves, for a fairly long time frame after they are released....sometimes years.  I have the benefit of nearly 3 decades watching the same people run in and out of the system I described.....many of them commit their crimes far off of that radar....but it's never a surprise when they do.  They should have never been released......I'm sorry, some people can't live in society without being a danger to others.  The professionals know who they are as easily as the Police and their families, but they don't have the resources or won't take the responsibility.  

Guns are not the problem.  They are not evil.  They don't have the capability to be evil.

People have the capability, and some are.  If you get rid of them you solve the problem.  No, you can't get rid of all of them.....but you'll be much further down the road to solving this than if you were to get rid of a single gun.

I wasn't even referring to guns at all here. Just pointing out that a lot of homicides are the result of crimes of passion: rage, jealousy, greed, etc. For sure there are some that ARE the result of previously observable mental illness, and the system needs to do a better job of identifying those. But not all of them fall into that category. Not even a majority.

The truth is that humans are a complex web of conscious and subconscious thought, emotions, urges, etc. Our normal mode of operation is to keep all of this well controlled and in balance. But if you introduce enough stressors in a short amount of time, you can cause just about any normal person to temporarily lose control. That's why we have phrases like "blind rage", etc. Obviously, most people are good at self-regulating and finding ways to cool off and regain composure. But some aren't, especially if the stressors are serious enough -- e.g., you just lost your job, found out your wife is having an affair, your child just wound up in jail, all in the same week.

Now, since you raised the issue of guns, I'll just say that given the above, guns unfortunately make it quicker and easier to act out in those moments when you've briefly lost your composure. Especially if you're someone who was not well trained as a police officer, first responder, etc.
2013-01-07 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4566202

User image

Elite
Tripolar - 2013-01-07 10:57 AM

I wasn't even referring to guns at all here. Just pointing out that a lot of homicides are the result of crimes of passion: rage, jealousy, greed, etc. For sure there are some that ARE the result of previously observable mental illness, and the system needs to do a better job of identifying those. But not all of them fall into that category. Not even a majority. The truth is that humans are a complex web of conscious and subconscious thought, emotions, urges, etc. Our normal mode of operation is to keep all of this well controlled and in balance. But if you introduce enough stressors in a short amount of time, you can cause just about any normal person to temporarily lose control. That's why we have phrases like "blind rage", etc. Obviously, most people are good at self-regulating and finding ways to cool off and regain composure. But some aren't, especially if the stressors are serious enough -- e.g., you just lost your job, found out your wife is having an affair, your child just wound up in jail, all in the same week. Now, since you raised the issue of guns, I'll just say that given the above, guns unfortunately make it quicker and easier to act out in those moments when you've briefly lost your composure. Especially if you're someone who was not well trained as a police officer, first responder, etc.

I can say with 100% confidence that there is nothing that can happen to me that would make me grab a gun and go shoot someone. Sorry, just not buying it. I'm sure plenty can't say the same. There are a lot of things I could imagine that I would want to kill someone... but this isn't holywood and I don't go on a homicidal tear because somebody did me wrong.

Edited by powerman 2013-01-07 12:32 PM
2013-01-07 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4566278

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
powerman - 2013-01-07 12:30 PM

I wasn't even referring to guns at all here. Just pointing out that a lot of homicides are the result of crimes of passion: rage, jealousy, greed, etc. For sure there are some that ARE the result of previously observable mental illness, and the system needs to do a better job of identifying those. But not all of them fall into that category. Not even a majority. The truth is that humans are a complex web of conscious and subconscious thought, emotions, urges, etc. Our normal mode of operation is to keep all of this well controlled and in balance. But if you introduce enough stressors in a short amount of time, you can cause just about any normal person to temporarily lose control. That's why we have phrases like "blind rage", etc. Obviously, most people are good at self-regulating and finding ways to cool off and regain composure. But some aren't, especially if the stressors are serious enough -- e.g., you just lost your job, found out your wife is having an affair, your child just wound up in jail, all in the same week. Now, since you raised the issue of guns, I'll just say that given the above, guns unfortunately make it quicker and easier to act out in those moments when you've briefly lost your composure. Especially if you're someone who was not well trained as a police officer, first responder, etc.

I can say with 100% confidence that there is nothing that can happen to me that would make me grab a gun and go shoot someone (outside of self defense). Sorry, just not buying it. I'm sure plenty can't say the same. There are a lot of things I could imagine that I would want to kill someone... but this isn't holywood and I don't go on a homicidal tear because somebody did me wrong.

Fixed that for you & +1

2013-01-07 12:45 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
powerman - 2013-01-07 10:30 AM

I can say with 100% confidence that there is nothing that can happen to me that would make me grab a gun and go shoot someone. Sorry, just not buying it. I'm sure plenty can't say the same. There are a lot of things I could imagine that I would want to kill someone... but this isn't holywood and I don't go on a homicidal tear because somebody did me wrong.

Do you think a college-aged teen, with raging hormones and possibly a few drinks in him, would be just as cool under pressure? Everyone (and yes, even you) has a threshold beyond which they will cease to function normally. If you doubt it, read up on "sleep deprivation psychosis" for just one example. Now what exactly they will do once they've crossed that threshold is very different depending on the person.

The truth is that a majority of homicides and violent acts are not the result of diagnosable mental illness.
2013-01-07 12:49 PM

User image

Pro

I agree 100% PM. 

Tripolar - all of those "stressors" you listed happen to people on a regular basis....only a small fraction end up in murder, and they are usually committed by someone who has a history of doing unbalanced acts of some type or another. 

The idea that someone just "snaps", with no history at all, is mostly a myth.  They may have an unreported history.....but normal people don't kill other people.  Sorry.

2013-01-07 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4563789

User image

Master
SMIBville
dontracy - 2013-01-05 5:21 PM

Seriously, what's causing young men to do these things?
Did it always take place and we just didn't hear about it?
Or has something changed in the culture that contribute to bringing this all about? 

I think it's because we allow crazy people to roam freely in society.  We used to lock these people up in asylums and mental hospitals.  And that's where they'd stay.  Now we try to integrate them into our society - one that is as fast-paced and ruthless as ever, too!

Not sure if we should go back to that, but that's what we used to do...

Edited by dck4shrt 2013-01-07 12:54 PM
2013-01-07 1:00 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
One huge factor that I neglected to mention is substance-abuse, which may be found on its own, or in association with underlying mental illness.

This article is a little dated, but it makes the point that substance abuse is a far greater predictor of violence than mental illness:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525086/

"For those with a major mental disorder, the population attributable risk was 4.3%, indicating that violence in the community could be reduced by less than five percent if major mental disorders could be eliminated. The population attributable risk for those with a substance abuse disorder was 34%, and for those with a comorbid mental illness and substance abuse disorder it was 5%. Therefore, by these estimates, violence in the community might be reduced by only 10% if both major mental disorders and comorbid disorders were eliminated. However, violence could be reduced by over a third if substance abuse disorders were eliminated."
2013-01-07 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4566313

User image

Elite
Tripolar - 2013-01-07 11:45 AM
powerman - 2013-01-07 10:30 AM

Do you think a college-aged teen, with raging hormones and possibly a few drinks in him, would be just as cool under pressure? Everyone (and yes, even you) has a threshold beyond which they will cease to function normally. If you doubt it, read up on "sleep deprivation psychosis" for just one example. Now what exactly they will do once they've crossed that threshold is very different depending on the person. The truth is that a majority of homicides and violent acts are not the result of diagnosable mental illness.

We have 15,000 homicides a year... obviously 15,000 people or so have a threshold. I can't speak for what others are or are not capable of, I can only speak for myself. I have been in some pretty dark places, but I am not homicidal. I am not wired that way... and my hold on reality is not so fragile as to cause me to become homicidal because I did not get enough sleep. Yes, I can say that with 100% confidence.

2013-01-07 1:25 PM

New user
Left Brain - 2013-01-05 10:58 PM

Saw this today.  I think you will find it interesting.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/the-giant-gaping-hole-in-sandy-hook-reporting/

2013-01-07 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4566288

User image

Elite
tuwood - 2013-01-07 11:33 AM

I can say with 100% confidence that there is nothing that can happen to me that would make me grab a gun and go shoot someone (outside of self defense). Sorry, just not buying it. I'm sure plenty can't say the same. There are a lot of things I could imagine that I would want to kill someone... but this isn't holywood and I don't go on a homicidal tear because somebody did me wrong.

Fixed that for you & +1

No need, we are talking about homicide, not self defense.

2013-01-07 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4566415

User image

Pro
NXS - 2013-01-07 1:25 PM

Nothing in that article surprises me.  I think that's another catastrophic failure of the mental health industry......the over medication of our nation's children. 

I laugh every time I see a drug advertisement on TV that carries the warning, "if you become suicidal or have thoughts of suicide, see your physician".......how about don't take it if there is a chance of that?  Geez, how about don't approve it? 

Tri-polar.....I think we're having different discussions.....I was referring to mass shootings for the most part.  Although, I think "major mental health issues" or however they were referred to is a bit misleading.  How many people who kill themselves or use suicide to end a murder event do you think have "major" mental issues?  Still, there's a problem, huh?

2013-01-07 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4566584

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Left Brain - 2013-01-07 12:48 PM

NXS - 2013-01-07 1:25 PM

Nothing in that article surprises me.  I think that's another catastrophic failure of the mental health industry......the over medication of our nation's children. 

I laugh every time I see a drug advertisement on TV that carries the warning, "if you become suicidal or have thoughts of suicide, see your physician".......how about don't take it if there is a chance of that?  Geez, how about don't approve it? 

Tri-polar.....I think we're having different discussions.....I was referring to mass shootings for the most part.  Although, I think "major mental health issues" or however they were referred to is a bit misleading.  How many people who kill themselves or use suicide to end a murder event do you think have "major" mental issues?  Still, there's a problem, huh?

Absolutely there's a problem. And I don't deny that diagnosable mental illness often plays a role (though not in all cases). But this is all with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. It's far, far more difficult to look at the huge numbers of people with mental illness and predict which is going to become a mass murderer. Out of the millions of people with bipolar, schizophrenia, personality disorders, and the like, how do you find the handful that are going to snap? And realize that even if you could, there will be those that you'll miss because they don't exhibit any signs at all of mental illness.

You'd have to lock up millions of people in order to avoid that portion of mass murders that do involve mental illness. Do you really want that kind of society? If you did, mental illness would revert back to being horribly stigmatized, and a huge number of people would simply avoid treatment, and make the problem even worse.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Why are mass shooting murderers always called Gun"Men"? Rss Feed  

of 4