2013-01-19 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4585856

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Wow, Lance doped
powerman - 2013-01-19 10:20 AM
alath - 2013-01-18 6:33 PM
kettlebell - 2013-01-17 11:12 PM

If you believe the top athletes on the tour were clean you are fooling yourself.  Lance beat the French on there own turf, with one testicle, over and over again.

He didn't exactly win the sport of "cycling."

He won the sport of "juiced cycling."

Reading this stuff, you realize it isn't just the case of Lance took a little blue pill every morning, and everyone else was taking the same pill according to the same regimen. No, he had the most sophisticated regimen of doping that anyone has ever seen, with multiple drugs and drug combos and an elaborate system that allowed him to dope more, with less risk of getting caught/punished.

Some portion of his success is due to his excellence as an athlete.

Some portion of his success is due to the fact that he had more dope and better dope and a better doping regimen than anyone else.

Any speculation about what percentage is due to what is just idle guessing.

He will never be the greatest cyclist of all time. He's the greatest doper-cyclist of all time.

That is way too simplistic.

He was a dominate amature athlete. He won seven tours because he out worked everyone else. He trained year round when Ulrich was getting hammered in the bar. He didn't race the grand tours, he only raced the TDF. His entire year was focused on one race. He was the first to train on the courses... now every single professional team in cycling trains the course. He had a drive and determination rarely equaled by anyone else. He paid for the best team. He always had several people that would have been GC contenders on other teams. He DOMINATED the TDF in every asspect imaginable.

And yes, that applies to doping. He applied all the same to that part too. And yes he had the best doped team presumably. I'm not making any excuses for what he did... but it isn't as simple as saying he won because he was the best doper... he won because he was the best doper and worked harder at winning the TDF than anyone else. And he had the talent to put himself in that position to start with.

And when he was a kid doing triathlon he was competing and beating adults. His genetics and work ethic took him to that highest level. The problem was, it did for others as well. And then, chemistry to take it to yet another level. For all of them. And then it became a shared lie among all the athletes. And they all perpetuated it until caught.

I also believe professional cycling was complicit, maybe not overtly, but people tuned in just to watch these athletes perform superhuman feats on their bikes. With that came the sponsors and money. Get caught doping? Aw, we'll suspend you for a season. Just keep that money rolling in.

Money and fame create a bubble. That bubble distorts reality. Inside the bubble is your version of normal, and that becomes your version of reality. That doesn't mean it's right, or that you can treat people however you want, it just is. Having headed (partially) down the same road as Lance in the corporate world, I am sympathetic. I know what that bubble does - it creates a distortion field that warps your view of the world and allows you to justify your actions. When the bubble finally bursts, everything gets blown all over the place.

Lance's actions from now into the future will determine how he will be viewed. For me, it started with my kids and regaining their trust. He appears to understand that. It's the first step in a long process. I wish him luck in that. It's an incredible amount of work, but work is something he understands I hope that he is able to move forward and build a new and fulfilling life.

2013-01-19 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4583615

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I've often said that:

bad genetics + no work = poor performance

bad genetics + hard work = good performance

good genetics + no work = good performance

good genetics + hard work = great performance

Now, I guess it's time to update this.  I need to add:

good genetics + hard work + a superior PED program = total dominance

ETA: I hope no one takes this as an endorsement of PED's.  That's not my point.  My point is more that if someone is dominating a professional sport at the highest level, it's probably fair to scrutinize them a little more than the other competitors. 

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-01-19 10:39 AM
2013-01-19 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4585864

User image

powerman - 2013-01-19 4:32 AM
Beerman - 2013-01-18 8:24 PM
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-01-18 1:46 PM 

I'm not as up on cycling as a lot of folks around here...I hate watching it, but I really enjoy doing it.

Where was LA prior to his doping operation?  Was he really just an average competitor?  If so, it's just one of many reasons why Armstrong's actions were much worse than the baseball PED cheats.  At least with Barry Bonds, before his body morphed into a 6' 2" 240 pound Hulk, he was a wiry 6' 2" 185 pound, gold-glove center fielder that hit for high average, high RBIs, and 35 homers/year.  Bonds was without a doubt a Hall of Fame talent prior to his obvious use of PEDs, which helped shoot his numbers through the roof.  What did LA do before he doped?   

btw, so many great posts in this thread.  great reading...thank you.

LA would likely have been a good one-day, classics, or week-long stage race cyclist. He would never have been tabbed to win a grand tour. As a comparison of their first four grand tours:

Lance Armstrong: TdF - Withdrew (1993), Withdrew (1994), 36th (1995), Withdrew (1996)

Greg LeMond: Vuelta - Withdrew (1983)

TdF - 3rd (1984), 2nd (1985)

Giro d'Italia - 3rd (1985)

And early 90s is when EPO became prevalent, and his 96 withdrawal was due to a little bit of cancer.

He also won plenty just like LeMonde outside of the TDF. At least compare apples to apples. PEDS do not make you something you are not.

I simply stated that LA would never have become a grand tour winner. I know he won stages, one-day races, and week-long races. LA simply was not built for winning grand tours. LeMond won the same sort of races as LA early in their careers. The difference was that LeMond was an immediate contender at winning grand tours unlike Lance. Look up their palmares from 1981-1986 (LeMond) and 1991-1996 (Armstrong). They're fairly equivalent except for grand tours.

I agree the EPO era skews things. But when you withdraw from three of your first four grand tours, that doesn't present a whole lot of confidence that you're going to be a grand tour winner if you can't even finish a grand tour. If you look back at the history of grand tour winners pre-EPO, nearly every single winner did well in grand tours before the age of 25.

2013-01-19 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4586010

User image

Elite
Beerman - 2013-01-19 10:58 AM
powerman - 2013-01-19 4:32 AM
Beerman - 2013-01-18 8:24 PM
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-01-18 1:46 PM 

I'm not as up on cycling as a lot of folks around here...I hate watching it, but I really enjoy doing it.

Where was LA prior to his doping operation?  Was he really just an average competitor?  If so, it's just one of many reasons why Armstrong's actions were much worse than the baseball PED cheats.  At least with Barry Bonds, before his body morphed into a 6' 2" 240 pound Hulk, he was a wiry 6' 2" 185 pound, gold-glove center fielder that hit for high average, high RBIs, and 35 homers/year.  Bonds was without a doubt a Hall of Fame talent prior to his obvious use of PEDs, which helped shoot his numbers through the roof.  What did LA do before he doped?   

btw, so many great posts in this thread.  great reading...thank you.

LA would likely have been a good one-day, classics, or week-long stage race cyclist. He would never have been tabbed to win a grand tour. As a comparison of their first four grand tours:

Lance Armstrong: TdF - Withdrew (1993), Withdrew (1994), 36th (1995), Withdrew (1996)

Greg LeMond: Vuelta - Withdrew (1983)

TdF - 3rd (1984), 2nd (1985)

Giro d'Italia - 3rd (1985)

And early 90s is when EPO became prevalent, and his 96 withdrawal was due to a little bit of cancer.

He also won plenty just like LeMonde outside of the TDF. At least compare apples to apples. PEDS do not make you something you are not.

I simply stated that LA would never have become a grand tour winner. I know he won stages, one-day races, and week-long races. LA simply was not built for winning grand tours. LeMond won the same sort of races as LA early in their careers. The difference was that LeMond was an immediate contender at winning grand tours unlike Lance. Look up their palmares from 1981-1986 (LeMond) and 1991-1996 (Armstrong). They're fairly equivalent except for grand tours.

I agree the EPO era skews things. But when you withdraw from three of your first four grand tours, that doesn't present a whole lot of confidence that you're going to be a grand tour winner if you can't even finish a grand tour. If you look back at the history of grand tour winners pre-EPO, nearly every single winner did well in grand tours before the age of 25.

I did look them up.

It's tough to call on this one. Admittedly, LA said he was not built for tours until cancer. I do put some stock in that. That he lost a lot of his upper body muscle mass, and rebuilt what he needed. I think to some degree that would have happened naturally had he continued racing tours without cancer. But obviously, post cancer, we know hormones, steroids, and EPO put him on the podium faster than he would have been without... if he would have been on eventually at all.

He was one of those riders good at climbing and time trials and not many can do both. He undoubtedly had talent and ability, but there is just no way to compare him to anyone else with his unique set of circumstances.

What we can say is that he raced against an elite group of riders that raced tours because they were suited for racing tours. And he raced against those that doped that were at the top of the field because they responded well to doping. And racing against elite tour athletes that doped... he dominated them for 7 years straight. And everyone of them wanted to be the one that knocked the DH American off the podium... and they could not do it. There is more to it than just the chemicals.

Edited by powerman 2013-01-19 1:23 PM
2013-01-19 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4583878

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Leegoocrap - 2013-01-18 6:26 AM
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-01-17 10:41 PM

So many people in the general public owe Floyd Landis, Tyler Hamilton, etc., etc. (the list goes on and on), apologies.

Nobody owes Floyd Landis or Tyler Hamilton anything. They both ended up better than they deserved.

Landis does still owe a lot of people for the Floyd Fairness Fund though.

+1

I believed in Landis initially.  But taking all that $$$ from people for his legal defense fund was horrible.

2013-01-19 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
This is just a full on tragedy. All the lies, all the lives ruined, all the cyclists and teams destroyed.. All this on the eve of the Tour de France's 100 anniversary.

2013-01-20 12:15 AM
in reply to: #4585856

Veteran
Indiana
powerman - 2013-01-19 10:20 AM
alath - 2013-01-18 6:33 PM
kettlebell - 2013-01-17 11:12 PM

If you believe the top athletes on the tour were clean you are fooling yourself.  Lance beat the French on there own turf, with one testicle, over and over again.

He didn't exactly win the sport of "cycling."

He won the sport of "juiced cycling."

Reading this stuff, you realize it isn't just the case of Lance took a little blue pill every morning, and everyone else was taking the same pill according to the same regimen. No, he had the most sophisticated regimen of doping that anyone has ever seen, with multiple drugs and drug combos and an elaborate system that allowed him to dope more, with less risk of getting caught/punished.

Some portion of his success is due to his excellence as an athlete.

Some portion of his success is due to the fact that he had more dope and better dope and a better doping regimen than anyone else.

Any speculation about what percentage is due to what is just idle guessing.

He will never be the greatest cyclist of all time. He's the greatest doper-cyclist of all time.

That is way too simplistic.

He was a dominate amature athlete. He won seven tours because he out worked everyone else. He trained year round when Ulrich was getting hammered in the bar. He didn't race the grand tours, he only raced the TDF. His entire year was focused on one race. He was the first to train on the courses... now every single professional team in cycling trains the course. He had a drive and determination rarely equaled by anyone else. He paid for the best team. He always had several people that would have been GC contenders on other teams. He DOMINATED the TDF in every asspect imaginable.

And yes, that applies to doping. He applied all the same to that part too. And yes he had the best doped team presumably. I'm not making any excuses for what he did... but it isn't as simple as saying he won because he was the best doper... he won because he was the best doper and worked harder at winning the TDF than anyone else. And he had the talent to put himself in that position to start with.

Think you misunderstood me - I didn't say he won only because of the dope; I said some portion of his success was due to his excellence as an athlete (including talent, training, determination, etc) and some portion was due to his superior doping program. Therefore he won the sport of "juiced cycling" - his combination of cycling and doping was superior to anybody else's combination of cycling and doping. The sad thing is that we will never know to what extent doping changed the outcome of those races - we will never know how Lance would have fared in a drug-free peloton.

2013-01-20 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4585410

Elite
Denver, Colorado
pschriver - 2013-01-18 6:33 PM

Rogillio - 2013-01-18 2:13 PM
LPJmom - 2013-01-18 12:16 PM

Name a professional sport without any type of doping/enhancements.

Only one that comes to mind is curling, but then again, maybe those people need to dope to sweep faster.

I don't follow sports but you don't hear much about PEDs in golfing. Then again, maybe a vallium would smooth out one's putt? The issue is money. By definition, professional sports are defined by money....and money currupts. When money is involved, the motivation to cheat is strong. The bigger the booty the more incentive there is to cheat.

I'm willing to bet golf has some dopers. I don't think they are tested aggressively. Without making any accusations, there was one guy who was a long driver who lost a lot of muscle mass when he came under public scrutiny. If you don't test  for it, you won't find it.

FWIW,

I think Lance did more harm then good with the interview. I think his ego made him think he could win public sentiment. I was certain he was going to come clean but hearing about the way he tried or succeeded in destroying the professional lives of people (non-dopers, trainers, and therapist) who were telling the truth is disgusting. He is going to be the fall guy in an ugly chapter of cycling.

I recall reading an article about this many years ago when I still actually liked playing golf. Some pros were getting certain blood pressure medications called beta blockers (and they didn't have high blood pressure) because it slowed the heart rate and calmed them down, which helped them sink game-winning putts. I have no idea if this is still going or if the PGA does any testing.
2013-01-20 12:41 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I am enjoying Rogillio's take on things. At the end of the day, Lance did not kill anyone. Someone who is texting while driving poses a greater risk to society than does Lance. Still, we don't let rapists go free just because they didn't commit murder. Lance did something wrong, but the punishment must fit the crime.

I suppose I take a "let 'em do it" attitude towards doping because, at the end of the day, these guys still need to work their butts off. A couch potato on PEDs still has no shot at winning the Tour. And PEDs require knowledge on proper use. Incorrect use of anabolic steroids, for instance, can actually have an opposite effect. I tend to agree with the post stating that the real crime here was not the use, but Lance's efforts to cover up the use.
2013-01-20 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4586854

User image

Champion
Alabama
MikeTheBear - 2013-01-20 12:41 PM

I am enjoying Rogillio's take on things. At the end of the day, Lance did not kill anyone. Someone who is texting while driving poses a greater risk to society than does Lance. Still, we don't let rapists go free just because they didn't commit murder. Lance did something wrong, but the punishment must fit the crime.

I suppose I take a "let 'em do it" attitude towards doping because, at the end of the day, these guys still need to work their butts off. A couch potato on PEDs still has no shot at winning the Tour. And PEDs require knowledge on proper use. Incorrect use of anabolic steroids, for instance, can actually have an opposite effect. I tend to agree with the post stating that the real crime here was not the use, but Lance's efforts to cover up the use.

Dang, I really didn't think my opinion was in the norm. I don't see what he did as that radical. He took the drug de jour that he though would make his faster. He still worked his arse off. When called on it he had to lie.

The self righteous, I would never cheat or lie, position is BS, IMO. I have never been competitive on an international, multi-million dollar level so I don't know what I'd do.
2013-01-20 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4586981

User image

Elite

Rogillio - 2013-01-20 2:32 PM
MikeTheBear - 2013-01-20 12:41 PM I am enjoying Rogillio's take on things. At the end of the day, Lance did not kill anyone. Someone who is texting while driving poses a greater risk to society than does Lance. Still, we don't let rapists go free just because they didn't commit murder. Lance did something wrong, but the punishment must fit the crime. I suppose I take a "let 'em do it" attitude towards doping because, at the end of the day, these guys still need to work their butts off. A couch potato on PEDs still has no shot at winning the Tour. And PEDs require knowledge on proper use. Incorrect use of anabolic steroids, for instance, can actually have an opposite effect. I tend to agree with the post stating that the real crime here was not the use, but Lance's efforts to cover up the use.
Dang, I really didn't think my opinion was in the norm. I don't see what he did as that radical. He took the drug de jour that he though would make his faster. He still worked his arse off. When called on it he had to lie. The self righteous, I would never cheat or lie, position is BS, IMO. I have never been competitive on an international, multi-million dollar level so I don't know what I'd do.

McGuire cheated... but people like him. Bonds cheated, and yes he was a heck of a hitter... but he was a real DH so he get's singled out.

Hincappie cheated by his side for all those years. How many people hate him?

Levi cheated, how many people are mad at him?

What is so hard to understand it isn't about "just" using PEDS.

None of the above had millions of devoted fans because they beat cancer and gave hope to many and then lied right to their face.

It goes way past PEDs. You reap what you sow. What ever he does or does not get from all this... he only has himself to blame.

Edited by powerman 2013-01-20 3:50 PM

2013-01-20 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4586981

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Rogillio - 2013-01-20 3:32 PM

MikeTheBear - 2013-01-20 12:41 PM

Dang, I really didn't think my opinion was in the norm. I don't see what he did as that radical. He took the drug de jour that he though would make his faster. He still worked his arse off. When called on it he had to lie.

The self righteous, I would never cheat or lie, position is BS, IMO. I have never been competitive on an international, multi-million dollar level so I don't know what I'd do.

I've done endurance and I've done weightlifting - two sporting areas that are plagued with PED use. Sure, track and field has its issues as do other sports I'm sure, but endurance and weightlifting seem to get the most attention. So I decided do to some research to see if PED use is really all that. Here are my conclusions:

No question PED enhance performance, but you have to know what you're doing. Lance obviously had the money to hire experts, but I'm guessing your average domestique on a cycling team probably has to rely on lesser minds. And with anabolic compounds, the body tightly regulates its hormones and if there is too much testosterone, the body tries to get itself back to normal. That means it shuts down natural production. So, steroid use is not 2 + 2 = 4, but more like 2 + 2 = 3. Another fun thing the body does is convert the testosterone to estrogen, resulting in growth of breast tissue in men. This can be combatted, but again, gotta know what you're doing. EPO use can cause death if the blood becomes too thick.

The first time is the best, then the effects start wearing off, just like any other drug. To keep getting the same effect, you need to use more and more, or start "stacking" various drugs. This makes it harder to mask the drug when tests are actually performed.

Drug use can be hidden from testing to some extent using various cycling techniques and masking agents, but again you gotta know what you're doing. And sometimes you get caught. The Bulgarians pulled their entire weightlifting team from last year's Olympics. They did so voluntarily, but they obviously thought it was better to save face than have a bunch of their athletes popped for steroid use.

You need to be careful about weight gain. For endurance athletes using EPO it's not so much an issue, but some do use testosterone to boost recovery. For a lifter in a weight class other than super heavy, this becomes an issue. Testosterone has a habit of growing muscle, so indiscriminate use can bump a lifter up to the next weight class which is usually not the desired result. Indiscriminate testosterone use by an endurance athlete would also cause unwanted weight gain, which would negate the PED use to some extent.

I recall reading somewhere that PED use only improves performance by like 1%. I wish I could remember the source. But given the above concerns that I mentioned, I believe this is accurate. Granted, at the elite level, a 1% improvement can mean the difference between winning and second place. But, as I've said before, you still gotta train. Same for weightlifting where technique is very important.

I have come to the conclusion that PEDs are not magic. No question that they help performance and no question that even a small improvement can mean a spot on the podium. While I wish sports could be clean, the reality is they are not, but the other reality is that PEDs are not going to produce a super human. And they still need to train and train hard.

I say let athletes use. For endurance athletes, drug use would be self-limiting - too much testosterone and you gain weight, too much EPO and you die, which results in a lawsuit against the doctor. See, when you allow the use, it's all out in the open and team doctors are subject to the same standards as other doctors. For strength sports, get rid of the super heavy classes. This will force athletes to make weight, thereby forcing athletes to limit how much drugs they take so as not to exceed their weight class.
2013-01-21 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4584007

Veteran
Honolulu
scottydawg92 - 2013-01-18 7:49 AM

One thing that caught my attention was as you saw clips of Lance answering direct questions about doping with stone cold lies throughout his career, his dimeanor was exactly the same as it was sitting there with Oprah.  He was trying to tell Oprah NOW you can trust me...NOW I want to come clean....NOW I am telling the truth.  But is he really?  We (Joe general public) will never know for certain if he will ever tell the truth or do the right thing regarding competetition...and the reason he should never be allowed to compete in any professional sport again. 

As a side note...I also wonder what kind of pressure really existed to cheat on Lance's cycling teams in order to stay on the team.  

I've watched numerous clips of Lance before too and i felt his demeanor on Oprah was exactly the same but when he got choked up talking about his son that was an emotional moment for Lance who usually is stone faced and detached. I thought he was sincere and he knows he has lost credibility pretty much forever, it took alot for him to finally confess. I was surprised he did it on Oprah and not a press conference on ESPN, or just released a pre-recorded confession. I think it was too soften the blow by having Oprah do it. But did people really expect him to be bawling like Tiger Woods? I was a major LA worshipper, but I always thought he doped like most other people. But my adoration of him has been slipping and now I am almost inclined to take down my posters of him as I don't really get inspired looking at them, just sad. He was an exceptional athlete and cancer survivor, started livestrong, made exciting races to watch. I guess we all need to try and find a lesson out of his life somehow. I do feel sorry for him because he and his family will be taunted for a long time, anywhere they go in the world. I'm not even going to touch on all the legal court aspects...so much to this story. Sigh.

Edited by HonoluluAngel 2013-01-21 11:31 AM
2013-01-21 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4586854

User image

Expert

MikeTheBear - 2013-01-20 1:41 PM I am enjoying Rogillio's take on things. At the end of the day, Lance did not kill anyone. Someone who is texting while driving poses a greater risk to society than does Lance. Still, we don't let rapists go free just because they didn't commit murder. Lance did something wrong, but the punishment must fit the crime. I suppose I take a "let 'em do it" attitude towards doping because, at the end of the day, these guys still need to work their butts off. A couch potato on PEDs still has no shot at winning the Tour. And PEDs require knowledge on proper use. Incorrect use of anabolic steroids, for instance, can actually have an opposite effect. I tend to agree with the post stating that the real crime here was not the use, but Lance's efforts to cover up the use.

Have kids? Do you feel the same "let 'em do it"?

It all trickles down.

2013-01-21 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4588227

User image

Champion
Alabama
KateTri1 - 2013-01-21 3:25 PM

MikeTheBear - 2013-01-20 1:41 PM I am enjoying Rogillio's take on things. At the end of the day, Lance did not kill anyone. Someone who is texting while driving poses a greater risk to society than does Lance. Still, we don't let rapists go free just because they didn't commit murder. Lance did something wrong, but the punishment must fit the crime. I suppose I take a "let 'em do it" attitude towards doping because, at the end of the day, these guys still need to work their butts off. A couch potato on PEDs still has no shot at winning the Tour. And PEDs require knowledge on proper use. Incorrect use of anabolic steroids, for instance, can actually have an opposite effect. I tend to agree with the post stating that the real crime here was not the use, but Lance's efforts to cover up the use.

It all trickles down.

I have kids but teach them not to jump off the bridge just becasue everyone else is jumping off the bridge. 25% of the population smokes cigarettes but my kids (adults actually) do not smoke. Teach kids to keep sports in perspective.

And yes, it's always the cover-up....it's the "I did not have sex with that woman" hole that people dig when trying to hide their sins.
2013-01-21 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4588248

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Rogillio - 2013-01-21 3:37 PM

KateTri1 - 2013-01-21 3:25 PM

It all trickles down.

I have kids but teach them not to jump off the bridge just becasue everyone else is jumping off the bridge. 25% of the population smokes cigarettes but my kids (adults actually) do not smoke. Teach kids to keep sports in perspective.

And yes, it's always the cover-up....it's the "I did not have sex with that woman" hole that people dig when trying to hide their sins.

I have kids. Here's the thing - whether you let allow drug use in pro sports or not, pro athletes will still use. While it is true that Lance will live in a disgraced state, I don't think he will ever be poor. Heck, I predict he'll turn this around to try and regain his reputation. Plus, we're talking sports at the professional level. I'm not worried that my daughter will start using PEDs to become a better swimmer in the 13-14 year old group. And if she makes it to a higher level, I'd rather she know the reality and be prepared rather than be pressured into using a PED (or any drug, for that matter) by a peer who probably knows nothing about the risks.

2013-01-22 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4587891

User image

New user
HonoluluAngel - 2013-01-21 12:26 PM

One thing that caught my attention was as you saw clips of Lance answering direct questions about doping with stone cold lies throughout his career, his dimeanor was exactly the same as it was sitting there with Oprah.  He was trying to tell Oprah NOW you can trust me...NOW I want to come clean....NOW I am telling the truth.  But is he really?  We (Joe general public) will never know for certain if he will ever tell the truth or do the right thing regarding competetition...and the reason he should never be allowed to compete in any professional sport again. 

As a side note...I also wonder what kind of pressure really existed to cheat on Lance's cycling teams in order to stay on the team.  

I've watched numerous clips of Lance before too and i felt his demeanor on Oprah was exactly the same but when he got choked up talking about his son that was an emotional moment for Lance who usually is stone faced and detached. I thought he was sincere and he knows he has lost credibility pretty much forever, it took alot for him to finally confess. I was surprised he did it on Oprah and not a press conference on ESPN, or just released a pre-recorded confession. I think it was too soften the blow by having Oprah do it. But did people really expect him to be bawling like Tiger Woods? I was a major LA worshipper, but I always thought he doped like most other people. But my adoration of him has been slipping and now I am almost inclined to take down my posters of him as I don't really get inspired looking at them, just sad. He was an exceptional athlete and cancer survivor, started livestrong, made exciting races to watch. I guess we all need to try and find a lesson out of his life somehow. I do feel sorry for him because he and his family will be taunted for a long time, anywhere they go in the world. I'm not even going to touch on all the legal court aspects...so much to this story. Sigh.

I would agree...I had written my statement before I saw the second broadcast.    It is heartbreaking to know your child wants to defend you and your honor, and your dad tells you not to.  His kids are in a particularly terrible situation.  Their dad is in the spotlight.  They are going to be teased and tormented based on what LA did.  And for now at least, all they are going to hear in the media is how disgraceful their dad was.  To me, this is more heartbreaking than losing endorsements, money, or tour wins. 

2013-01-22 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4587332

User image

Master

MikeTheBear - 2013-01-20 10:24 PM
Rogillio - 2013-01-20 3:32 PM
MikeTheBear - 2013-01-20 12:41 PM I am enjoying Rogillio's take on things. At the end of the day, Lance did not kill anyone. Someone who is texting while driving poses a greater risk to society than does Lance. Still, we don't let rapists go free just because they didn't commit murder. Lance did something wrong, but the punishment must fit the crime. I suppose I take a "let 'em do it" attitude towards doping because, at the end of the day, these guys still need to work their butts off. A couch potato on PEDs still has no shot at winning the Tour. And PEDs require knowledge on proper use. Incorrect use of anabolic steroids, for instance, can actually have an opposite effect. I tend to agree with the post stating that the real crime here was not the use, but Lance's efforts to cover up the use.
Dang, I really didn't think my opinion was in the norm. I don't see what he did as that radical. He took the drug de jour that he though would make his faster. He still worked his arse off. When called on it he had to lie. The self righteous, I would never cheat or lie, position is BS, IMO. I have never been competitive on an international, multi-million dollar level so I don't know what I'd do.
I've done endurance and I've done weightlifting - two sporting areas that are plagued with PED use. Sure, track and field has its issues as do other sports I'm sure, but endurance and weightlifting seem to get the most attention. So I decided do to some research to see if PED use is really all that. Here are my conclusions: No question PED enhance performance, but you have to know what you're doing. Lance obviously had the money to hire experts, but I'm guessing your average domestique on a cycling team probably has to rely on lesser minds. And with anabolic compounds, the body tightly regulates its hormones and if there is too much testosterone, the body tries to get itself back to normal. That means it shuts down natural production. So, steroid use is not 2 + 2 = 4, but more like 2 + 2 = 3. Another fun thing the body does is convert the testosterone to estrogen, resulting in growth of breast tissue in men. This can be combatted, but again, gotta know what you're doing. EPO use can cause death if the blood becomes too thick. The first time is the best, then the effects start wearing off, just like any other drug. To keep getting the same effect, you need to use more and more, or start "stacking" various drugs. This makes it harder to mask the drug when tests are actually performed. Drug use can be hidden from testing to some extent using various cycling techniques and masking agents, but again you gotta know what you're doing. And sometimes you get caught. The Bulgarians pulled their entire weightlifting team from last year's Olympics. They did so voluntarily, but they obviously thought it was better to save face than have a bunch of their athletes popped for steroid use. You need to be careful about weight gain. For endurance athletes using EPO it's not so much an issue, but some do use testosterone to boost recovery. For a lifter in a weight class other than super heavy, this becomes an issue. Testosterone has a habit of growing muscle, so indiscriminate use can bump a lifter up to the next weight class which is usually not the desired result. Indiscriminate testosterone use by an endurance athlete would also cause unwanted weight gain, which would negate the PED use to some extent. I recall reading somewhere that PED use only improves performance by like 1%. I wish I could remember the source. But given the above concerns that I mentioned, I believe this is accurate. Granted, at the elite level, a 1% improvement can mean the difference between winning and second place. But, as I've said before, you still gotta train. Same for weightlifting where technique is very important. I have come to the conclusion that PEDs are not magic. No question that they help performance and no question that even a small improvement can mean a spot on the podium. While I wish sports could be clean, the reality is they are not, but the other reality is that PEDs are not going to produce a super human. And they still need to train and train hard. I say let athletes use. For endurance athletes, drug use would be self-limiting - too much testosterone and you gain weight, too much EPO and you die, which results in a lawsuit against the doctor. See, when you allow the use, it's all out in the open and team doctors are subject to the same standards as other doctors. For strength sports, get rid of the super heavy classes. This will force athletes to make weight, thereby forcing athletes to limit how much drugs they take so as not to exceed their weight class.

I think this is the attitude that drove cycling into this mess. Some of the leaders in the sport felt the same way and turned a blind eye to the problem  There are a lot of athletes who want to ride clean. They also know that it is nearly impossible to compete against a doper. Now that the biggest name in cycling (and possibly endurance events) has "come out" the sport needs to stay  clean. I expect a Zero tolerance policy to be the rule shortly. PEDs should have no role in the future.

Edited by pschriver 2013-01-22 10:32 AM
2013-01-22 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4589016

User image

Elite
scottydawg92 - 2013-01-22 7:47 AM
HonoluluAngel - 2013-01-21 12:26 PM

I would agree...I had written my statement before I saw the second broadcast.    It is heartbreaking to know your child wants to defend you and your honor, and your dad tells you not to.  His kids are in a particularly terrible situation.  Their dad is in the spotlight.  They are going to be teased and tormented based on what LA did.  And for now at least, all they are going to hear in the media is how disgraceful their dad was.  To me, this is more heartbreaking than losing endorsements, money, or tour wins. 

That's what really struck me. I do not have kids so that does not immediately pop into my head... but as soon as he said his boy was defending him... no judgment, that's just human.... you have lived this lie, done your best to squash it with a killer offense, goes on for years... long enough for your son to be old enough to sit there and make your life of lies his by defending them. What, he is supposed to do that the rest of his life? I'm sure even for arrogant self centered LA that was a tough realization.

But of course now.... when will Sally Jenkins be writing the book she KNEW she would never be witting. And has Luke competed in anything and will LA's kids ever have any passion to compete? I was wondering if a lifetime ban means he can not be involved with his kids if they ever turn pro. they are getting old enough now to wonder about that.

Edited by powerman 2013-01-22 10:41 AM
2013-01-22 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4588672

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

MikeTheBear - 2013-01-21 11:04 PM

Here's the thing - whether you let allow drug use in pro sports or not, pro athletes will still use.

Here's the thing - whether you allow killing or not, people will still kill.

I am NOT trying to equate PED use with killing.  I am trying to demonstrate that your statement, by itself, is not a very good argument for why PEDs should be condoned in sport.  For the record, I believe that they should not be allowed.  Once allowed, to me, it is no longer 'sport' and should be viewed as purely entertainment.  That may be OK for some people (who might argue that's what pro sports mostly are anyway).  Personally, I'd lose a lot of interest.

And, on an earlier point, his punishment DOES fit the crime.  Stripped of titles and banned from sport.  Seems fitting to me.  Other 'punishment' will come from other 'crimes', if proven (lying, defamation, breaking contracts, etc.)

Edited by JohnnyKay 2013-01-22 10:57 AM
2013-01-22 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4589280

User image

Elite
JohnnyKay - 2013-01-22 9:56 AM

MikeTheBear - 2013-01-21 11:04 PM

Here's the thing - whether you let allow drug use in pro sports or not, pro athletes will still use.

Here's the thing - whether you allow killing or not, people will still kill.

I am NOT trying to equate PED use with killing.  I am trying to demonstrate that your statement, by itself, is not a very good argument for why PEDs should be condoned in sport.  For the record, I believe that they should not be allowed.  Once allowed, to me, it is no longer 'sport' and should be viewed as purely entertainment.  That may be OK for some people (who might argue that's what pro sports mostly are anyway).  Personally, I'd lose a lot of interest.

And, on an earlier point, his punishment DOES fit the crime.  Stripped of titles and banned from sport.  Seems fitting to me.  Other 'punishment' will come from other 'crimes', if proven (lying, defamation, breaking contracts, etc.)

That's my problem with PEDs use... at the end of the day, after all the jack up body chemistry and thick blood... it still comes down to who works harder, who wants it more, and who can perform up to their ability on race day. And yes, even character. You have just moved the bar, but you still have to pass it. So how about we skip all that nonsense, call cheating what it is... cheating... and get back to marveling at what the pinnacle of human body and spirit can do. Because without PEDS... it's still pretty flipping incredible.

2013-01-22 3:46 PM

User image

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wow, Lance doped Rss Feed  

of 5