General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Update - My Form is Good but Catch is Weak Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-08 5:45 PM

Malvern, PA
Subject: Swim Update - My Form is Good but Catch is Weak

As my periodic postings have noted, I continue to struggle with my swim.

I have taken lots of time to improve my form.  Still slow.  

I met with a swim coach this week.  I had met with him once last year but I feel I still need a lot of work.

The good news is he said my overall form is not bad.  No major flaws.  A few minor ones.

The bad news is he said I have a very weak catch.  He said I need to pull more water and get the feel for catching the water.  In other words I am doing the proper motion but not moving much.

He said I should do some sculling drills to get a better "feel" for the water.  He also suggested a pair of finis agility paddles that should help.

I will continue to work in the pool, but my weakness is frustrating to me and this whole "catch the water" almost feels like something that I want to get but can't get.

Remember those "magic eye" posters??  You watch them and if you "get it" you see the 3-D picture!    Is it kinda like that??  If so, I am seeing everything flat.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.  

I would especially appreciate hearing from folks who have gone from bad to good in the water.  Other than work on the drills, is there anything that will help me "catch" the "catch??"

Edited by datlas 2013-02-08 5:45 PM

2013-02-08 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4615161

Subject: RE: Swim Update - My Form is Good but Catch is Weak
I have the same problem and my teacher make me swim with my hands closed in a fist... It is helping , gives you feel on the harm when you pull and more feel when you open your hand again.
2013-02-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4615180

Malvern, PA

Fuzzy duck - 2013-02-08 6:02 PM I have the same problem and my teacher make me swim with my hands closed in a fist... It is helping , gives you feel on the harm when you pull and more feel when you open your hand again.

Yup.  I do the fist drills.  Have been doing them for awhile now.

At this point, I will try almost anything!

2013-02-08 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
datlas - 2013-02-08 3:45 PM

What is your "still slow" time per 100 during your x100 sets at moderate effort and hard?  Perhaps you can post an underwater video so we can see where you're possibly missing the catch?

Edited by kloofyroland 2013-02-08 6:34 PM
2013-02-08 6:38 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

You might want to pick up a copy of Sheila Taormina's book "Swim Speed Secrets"...its primary focus is on the catch and pull. 

No expert here, but it sounds like your hand is angling through the water when you initiate the pull.  You'll get a better pull if you visualize pulling yourself over a wall...you would do that with the greatest force if your hand was flat against the other side of the wall and not at an angle to the wall.  In other words, the left side of your hand should be even with the right side of your hand as you pull through the water.  It sounds like your hand might be at an angle in which case you wouldn't feel much resistance from the water when you performed your pull.  I'm guessing your coach wants you to do the skulling drills to get an idea of the resistance you should be feeling so that you can experiment with your regular stroke in order to mimic that feeling of resistance.  You might also try using paddles...if you hold them square you'll feel a lot of resistance ... if you hold them at a slight angle the water will slip right off them.  

2013-02-08 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4615200

Malvern, PA
kloofyroland - 2013-02-08 6:34 PM

What is your "still slow" time per 100 during your x100 sets at moderate effort and hard?  Perhaps you can post an underwater video so we can see where you're possibly missing the catch?

Still slow times for 100m is about 2:25 at moderate and 2:10 at hard efforts.

The coach took some videos, I will see if I can post a link...I am not sure this link works but here it is:  

http://www.coachseye.com/OaBA

abd

http://www.coachseye.com/q6ZE

Edited by datlas 2013-02-08 6:47 PM

2013-02-08 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4615213

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Those videos are helpful!  I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Good form and streamlining but yup, missed catch.  You have to reach further forward to the point where your arm is completely stretched out but not so much that your curve your body.  Keep your elbows high and engage the catch THEN pull.  Try being a bit more patient before you start your pull.  Let's start there.  Reeeeeeeeeeeeach!!!  Catch..............  then pull.  =)

2013-02-08 7:46 PM

Master

I was EXACTLY where you were roughly 3 years ago. Was a hair faster, but still barely cracking 2:00/100meters all out at the time, so def BOP after a year and a half of learning to swim 'for real.'

Had my form checked out by 3 different coaches. All of them said the same thing - no major flaws, looks pretty good, decent catch (which can always be improved). Just gotta swim more. A LOT more.

Since then, (well, aside from this winter which was a wash!) I put in decent volume and intensity given the constraints of 3-sport training. It made all the difference. Honestly, I do not think it is remotely possible to have a 'powerful' catch unless you train the heck out of it. The beauty of that powerful catch isn't all technique - it's having the endurance and power to be able to really grab and move against that water. 

If your coaches are giving you the thumbs up, sounds like it's time to begin some swim suffering. Crank up the volume and intensity and watch those times drop. 

2013-02-08 7:46 PM
in reply to: #4615213

User image

Expert
McAllen
datlas - 2013-02-08 6:44 PM
kloofyroland - 2013-02-08 6:34 PM

Still slow times for 100m is about 2:25 at moderate and 2:10 at hard efforts.

The coach took some videos, I will see if I can post a link...I am not sure this link works but here it is:  

http://www.coachseye.com/OaBA

abd

http://www.coachseye.com/q6ZE

When it clicked for me I woke up one morning sophomore year high school and all of a sudden my 1:35 all out 100yd sprint became a 1:20. Big change.

The second video at about 0:30 when your coach is rewinding you, it looks like your hips are sinking quite a bit. When you take your fins off I imagine they'd drop even a little bit more. There's a couple ways to help with that and strengthening your core muscles will be a big one to help a lot. if you float without swimming, try to get your legs as close to horizontal as possible. That's a good drill to help give you a feel of what to aim for while swimming.

at 1:07 something that might give you a visualization on your catching water: I noticed you kind of drop your elbow a little bit which (is hard to verbalize what that does to your technique especially over text) will shorten up your effective stroke length by a lot. When you drop your elbow and pull back you're essentially moving your arms with very little to no horizontal water resistance. It's that resistance that propels you forward. There's a couple things that help with this:

• Constant reminder. Every stroke you take you need to be thinking "high elbow. High elbow."
  • "The pause" drill. Its more for timing and smoothening out your dead spot, but it helped with visualizing where your arm needs to be. You do it by taking a huge deliberate pause right before your fingers touch the water. The arm that's entering should still have its shoulder higher than the extended arm. While paused, focus on keeping your elbow higher than your forearm. When you pause, that's when you initiate the catch phase with your other arm. High elbow. High elbow. Pause with the other arm, visualize, initiate catch phase with opposite arm, high elbow. repeat.

Your coach targets this at about 2:14 where you put a lot of force in the vertical direction instead of parallel to where you wanna go. A drill that comes to mind is an "early catch" drill where you swim regularly with two tweaks: You extend out pretty far (maintaining high elbow) and as soon as possible you'll exaggerate your hand, then forearm dipping down to get perpendicular with the surface of the water. It should feel like your strokerate will go up significantly. Dunno if anyone wants to chime in on this.

His next comment at 2:36. Try to keep your entering arm as high and as straight in the water as possible before you dip your fingers/palm/forearm. You create a lot of drag by going in at a steep angle like that and shorten your effective stroke length pretty significantly.

80% of your swim speed comes from proper form. That's why 12 year olds can swim a 100 meter long course in under a minute. Granted, they're very powerful, but they're also highly efficient. the 1500m LCM record for the 11&12 age group is 16:45 but that emphasizes my point. over something that long, kids at that age aren't packing much muscle. They're powerful, but definitely topping out efficiency.

Also, make sure to not focus on everything at the same time or your body will never get it. I'd recommend trying to do two at a time max. Keeping your hips up should be on its own, though, that takes a lotta mental effort.

Edited by odpaul7 2013-02-08 7:53 PM
2013-02-08 7:58 PM

Master

Not a fish myself, but I strongly disagree that the speed is 80%+ technique. It probably is if you're really slow, but once you're going under around 1:50/100, fitness is huge.

Those speedy kids are speedy because they swim a LOT. They put out plenty of power in proportion to their size and area; even if their max force isn't as strong, their turnover is very high to go that fast. And those recordholders swim ridiculous amounts, even at age 10. (Like as much as a typical triathlete does in a whole week - in a single workout.) There's a 10 yr old who blows by me in the pool around here, and there is no way in heck I can maintain her turnover. (She also swims 3x the volume I do.)

If it was just pure technique, no fitness/power needed, most of the senior citizens in the pool who are dedicated swimmers but who avoid gutbusting intervals, would be amongst the fastest swimmers in the pool since they've had years and years to refine technique. And you'd also see 70 year old ex-HS swimmers who were fast in their youth maintaining 80% of their youth speed in the pool. Unfortunately, neither is true. You gotta swim fast and go hard to race like that.

Edited by agarose2000 2013-02-08 7:59 PM
2013-02-08 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4615265

User image

Expert
McAllen
But they key thing is they aren't wasting any energy. I'd bring that 1:50 wall down to about 1:30, though, where power starts becoming more and more important. The wall of top speed still exists as each individual swimmers' line of efficiency.

2013-02-08 11:49 PM
in reply to: #4615278

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
odpaul7 - 2013-02-08 7:14 PM

But they key thing is they aren't wasting any energy. I'd bring that 1:50 wall down to about 1:30, though, where power starts becoming more and more important. The wall of top speed still exists as each individual swimmers' line of efficiency.

agreed.
2013-02-08 11:59 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Seeing the videos alone, and ignoring any advice given by your coach, these are my comments:

1) Your spearing arm never gets streamlined. The elbow is always bent a small amount from the time you bring it out of the water to the maxiimum extension in the water...it's always bent. The underwater sideways view of your swim showing the angle of the spear...that's not cuasing the problem. That's not the drag that's slowing you down. Imagine the view of a camera overhead looking directly down on top of you..the birds eye view...your arms are never straight in front of you or straight at all. You're spearing them in like a plow and catching water with your upper arm.

That angle of spear as viewed underwater side is fine...but only if it's entering in through a single hole and spearing straight forward in the smallest space you can visualize.

At this poitn by tring to catch sooner or stronger, you're actually robbing yourself of hte opportunity to get this first part right. Until you feel streamline...you won't go fast no matter how strong your catch is.

2) This recovery & entry is directly tied into teh reason you drop your elbow in the catch or start catching too soon as your coach said. Your elbow never extends, it's already bent when it enters and because of the shallow angle that you enter with you're already at a disadvantage before you even start the catch.

3) Hips low...couple reasons for this, but a big one is again stroking too soon in the front. Yoru lead arm is already under your body by the time your entering arm gets to the water, so at any one time more of your arms (both arms combined) weight is behind yoru lungs. Since your lungs are the fulcrum of balance in the water, moving more body mass ahead of your lungs will help you balance better.

So now all 3 of these points tie together nicely. Spear the elbow straight...extend the arm in the water. Leave it there for a moment while the recoveyr arm is catching up...now both arms are in front of your lungs, improving balance AND your lead arm is streamlined so you are moving forward with less resistance from the braking 'bent elbow' entry. So now you're reducing drag in two ways...hips are highr and body is more streamlined.

From THAT point you can tehn start thinking about the catch, but from my perspective it's a second tier item to work on.

The catch however, is the sexy part of the stroke to focus on, which is why Sheila's book so popular. Yes, it's a great book...but there are fundamental imrpovents you cna make to take 20 seconds/ 100 off your time before you need to worry about that.

Sorry this wasn't meant to be harsh...but don't put the cart before the horse. Even if your catch is currently a little slippery, there are still great foundational imrpovements you can make.
2013-02-09 12:12 AM
in reply to: #4615255

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
odpaul7 - 2013-02-08 6:46 PM
that emphasizes my point. over something that long, kids at that age aren't packing much muscle. They're powerful, but definitely topping out efficiency.

<

They also present little drag in the water...both their skinny little pre-teen bodies traveling like arrows, as well as their short, skinny little arms able to crank out high stroke rates.

Kids are not afraid to go for broke. They'll work as hard as the coach asks them to work and they've got boundless energy.

Adults have so many things going against them, including more muscle mass that we then try to rely on to pull us through the water. But genearlly we are not as flexible nor as fearless as the little buggers. I love going to my masters session early and watching the kids swim. I'll often time their stroke rate with my tempo trainer while counting strokes...amazing machines those youth swimmers...
2013-02-09 7:04 AM

User image

Was your coach in the water with you? For me people can talk talk talk about what I should do but I can't always follow those instructions with swimming. I need something or someone to show me what it feels like. So with the case of low hips I had that and I knew it. Imread about it and did drills and itmdidnt help. Then a swim coach (total immesion fwiw) actually got into the water and physically moved my arms and chest lower and voila my hips popped up. It was an aha moment for me because then I could replicate that feeling going forward.

Fwiw I am not a swim coach or even a fast swimmer. But in this video what I think I see is you lift up the front of your head a little bit to breathe. Nobody else has mentioned it and so I'm probably wrong. But that action would drop your hips and cause a sinking feeling. To change this you can do buoyancy drills. Basically slowly kicking on one side and rotating to the other side from your hips. The first time I did the drill I was pretty sure I was drowning. But eventually you get to the point where as you kick you can rotate or roll over bringing your shoulder and nose out of the water to breathe without lifting or turning your head. For me it was a super bizarre feeling to be able to breathe with what feels like most of my forehead under water. But getting used to that feeling helped me keep my body position more correct while swimming.
2013-02-09 11:47 AM

Malvern, PA

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Yes, my coach was in the water with me.

I know that I don't "lock" my elbows when spearing.  I went back to the pool today and worked on that some, along with some of the other suggestions made by my coach and above.

I can't say that I am any faster yet, but at least I think I have something to go on now.

Gonna try to hit the pool again tomorrow!  And the day after!  And 4x/week, going forward.

Doug

2013-02-09 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4615410

Master

Edited by agarose2000 2013-02-09 5:34 PM
2013-02-09 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4615410

Master

AdventureBear - 2013-02-09 12:12 AM
odpaul7 - 2013-02-08 6:46 PM that emphasizes my point. over something that long, kids at that age aren't packing much muscle. They're powerful, but definitely topping out efficiency.Kids are not afraid to go for broke. They'll work as hard as the coach asks them to work and they've got boundless energy. Adults have so many things going against them, including more muscle mass that we then try to rely on to pull us through the water. But genearlly we are not as flexible nor as fearless as the little buggers. I love going to my masters session early and watching the kids swim. I'll often time their stroke rate with my tempo trainer while counting strokes...amazing machines those youth swimmers...

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but your observations of the kids directly show the importance of swim fitness to go fast.

You don't get a high stroke rate without a high level of swim fitness. And also, you're seeing that they're putting in tons of swimming, a lot of which is at a high effort.

To me, that says a lot more about the crucial importance of swim fitness in swimming fast than being able to swim 1:30/100m with no fitness and all technique. I'm not saying to ignore the technique, but I think you may be setting him up for disappointment if you say that he should be swimming 1:30/100m by just fixing his technique.

I will agree though that datlas has got a lot of room to improve after watching his video. I would argue though, that even with all of his stroke errors that I saw corrected to perfection, there would be no way he would be suddenly cruising at 1:30/100m without a big jump in his stroke turnover and catch power. In fact, I think he'll be lucky to squeeze 20sec/100 from technique alone - that would be a pretty awesome jump in speed by any standard, but wouldn't even make him a MOP swimmer.

Edited by agarose2000 2013-02-09 5:35 PM
2013-02-10 1:30 AM
in reply to: #4615907

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
agarose2000 - 2013-02-09 4:34 PM

AdventureBear - 2013-02-09 12:12 AM
odpaul7 - 2013-02-08 6:46 PM that emphasizes my point. over something that long, kids at that age aren't packing much muscle. They're powerful, but definitely topping out efficiency.Kids are not afraid to go for broke. They'll work as hard as the coach asks them to work and they've got boundless energy. Adults have so many things going against them, including more muscle mass that we then try to rely on to pull us through the water. But genearlly we are not as flexible nor as fearless as the little buggers. I love going to my masters session early and watching the kids swim. I'll often time their stroke rate with my tempo trainer while counting strokes...amazing machines those youth swimmers...

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but your observations of the kids directly show the importance of swim fitness to go fast.

You don't get a high stroke rate without a high level of swim fitness.

You're missing one of the points of my observations. Kids have shorter arms and less mass to move through the water, not to mention that their arms themselves present little drag. It's the ONLY way they can go fast because they don't have a lot of force. They CAN spin higher rates with far, far less effort than it would take an adult to do so.

I'm not denying that there are kids that are fit, but even kids who are not very fit and slack off in practice are frequently faster than most adult triathletes.
2013-02-10 2:18 PM

Malvern, PA

Not sure what the last 2 comments were, but again thanks for the input.

My coach also sent me a link to this video.  It seems like the video is incomplete, but it says you should do a drill imagining (or really) reaching for a rock and then throw it fast behind you.

I think a big reason why my catch/pull is not good is that I fell like I am lobbing the rock behind me rather than throwing it hard.  I suppose I do need to push harder.  

I think I am making some progress here.

Oh, here's the video, my coach says it was made by a friend of his named Eney Jones.

http://vimeo.com/47257093

2013-02-10 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4616440

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
datlas - 2013-02-10 1:18 PM

Not sure what the last 2 comments were, but again thanks for the input.

My coach also sent me a link to this video.  It seems like the video is incomplete, but it says you should do a drill imagining (or really) reaching for a rock and then throw it fast behind you.

I think a big reason why my catch/pull is not good is that I fell like I am lobbing the rock behind me rather than throwing it hard.  I suppose I do need to push harder.  

I think I am making some progress here.

Oh, here's the video, my coach says it was made by a friend of his named Eney Jones.

http://vimeo.com/47257093

That's an interesting video, thanks for sharing. But You can make a lot of improvements before worrying about pushing harder. We could keep going round and round, but streamlining yoru body is going to decrase the amount of drag. Improving arm cycles to more front quadrant will raise your hips. Relax, relax, relax. Feel the pressure of hte water as you stroke...don't worry about throwing rocks for now. While she's got impressive credentials, the demonstrations in that video mostly are just pushing water around.

Try this...Sam was pushing a lot of water around because he was pulling too hard. While there are several improveents he can make, watch how we broke down the stroke to a simple drill I call "swing push" and how much better further and faster he traveled, even though he was stroking with less pressure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHQyqI7zq0

2013-02-10 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4616468

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

AdventureBear - 2013-02-10 3:45 PM 

While she's got impressive credentials, the demonstrations in that video mostly are just pushing water around.  

When it comes down to it, isn't that what all swimming is?! :-D

I jest - awesome advice in this thread. Keep going. 

2013-02-10 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4616601

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
guitarfrk75 - 2013-02-10 5:06 PM

While she's got impressive credentials, the demonstrations in that video mostly are just pushing water around.  

Yep...push it left, push it right, push it up, push it down...
2013-02-10 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4616601

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
guitarfrk75 - 2013-02-10 7:06 PM

I know you're kidding, but this brings up a serious point.  - No.  Swimming well is about punching as small of a hole in the water as possible by maintaining a balanced streamlined position while anchoring onto it with your hands and using your arms to pull yourself through it.  The less water you push around, the more efficient you are. 

2013-02-11 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4616658

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
TriMyBest - 2013-02-10 8:17 PM
guitarfrk75 - 2013-02-10 7:06 PM

I know you're kidding, but this brings up a serious point.  - No.  Swimming well is about punching as small of a hole in the water as possible by maintaining a balanced streamlined position while anchoring onto it with your hands and using your arms to pull yourself through it.  The less water you push around, the more efficient you are. 

Touche, my friend! 

If I was feeling mean, I'd say it was still about pushing water around - less with your body and more with your hand! :-)

I will stop over-simplifying now! 

J

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Update - My Form is Good but Catch is Weak Rss Feed  

of 2