United States
Atlanta Track Club
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 51s
Overall Rank = 1719/4756
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bowl of cereal and a container of yogurt while reading BT. Headed out the door early to meet my friend who got me started in triathlons in the first place at the Marta station so that we could ride down together. We hadn't had the opportunity to train much together, so it was a good chance to catch-up.

Hit the bushes on a side street (portolet lines were waaaaaaay too long) and then drank a bottle of water to top off the tank while milling around. Even though the crowd was greater than 55,000, I still saw a bunch of friends from BT (yeah Kyung!) and TNT while in the starting corral.

Was seeded in Time Group 1A, so had a timing chip for official time. Being a true tri-geek, I also used my Garmin Forerunner and the lap timer on my watch. (I had just received my Garmin back from the factory - they gave me a brand spanking new unit! - and wanted to test the timing function against my watch)

Event warmup:

Danced around wanting to urinate but knowing that the lines at the portapotty were impossibly long (and the solitary of the bushes too far away ;))
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Even being in the first time group, it was relatively crowded and you had to pick, juke and jive your way through the crowd to get enough real estate to sustain a consistent pace.

Remembering how heavy my shoes felt from being wet during the Gulf Coast HIM run, I avoided the spray from the water hoses and hydrates as much as possible.

Upon looking at the data, it appears that my HR stayed in Zone 5 an abnormally long period of time: 29:19 and Z4 13:01 ... going to have to work on reversing those numbers.

Also hit a new (and sustained) max-HR of 190 while sprinting towards the finish line from in front of the Federal Reserve on Peachtree Street to Piedmont Park (which seemed a helluva lot longer than the .3 miles that I thought it was!).

While both the Garmin and my watch had my time down as 47:21, the official chip time was 48:51 ... either of which is helluvalot better than the 53:xx I logged last year. :)
What would you do differently?:

Training has been inconsistent since Gulf Coast. While I have done a 10k and an Adventure Race since then, I haven't really training with the consistency of a schedule. Instead I have been floating and just logging workout based upon other people's training schedule for the months of May and June.

Post race
Warm down:

Met up with some of my peeps training with me for Coeur d'Alene next year and then we trekked over to friends house across the street from Piedmont Park. Drank a couple beers while watching the later groups finish ... before someone got the harebrained idea that we ought to not take Marta + instead run the race backwards to get our cars.

Talk about junk miles. I even ran the extra 1 1/2 miles from Lenox to Brookhaven to forego Marta thing in entirely.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of consistent training, especially long slow distance base-building runs.

Event comments:

The Peachtree is not an event per se -- you are not going to set a PR here unless you are a Kenyan -- but an event to do with your friends. That said, I am happy with my times - both of them!

Last updated: 2006-07-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 06.2 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/4756
Performance: Average
Since I just got the Garmin back from the shop, I did not have it set to take split on the mile. That said, it was great to race with a HR monitor again ... a couple of times I had to reel myself back in and get the ole HR down to a sustainable level.
Course: Course is mostly downhill with three upgrades of any significance, the most of famous of which is "Cardiac Hill" in front of Piedmont Hospital/Shepherd Spinal Center. It is on this hill that the patients with spinal injuries get to come out from their hospital rooms to watch the races run by ... it is ostensibly to motive them towards recovery, but it is also a huge motivation for the runners as well!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-05 10:56 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: Peachtree Road Race 10K

While there are 55,000 participants in the race, there are only ~4800 that receive timing chips.  If you are going to do the P'tree Road Race, be sure to send in an official race time with your race application ... even if it is >53:00.

The Atlanta Track Club will seed you in an early Time Group (this year folks were moved to Time Group 2 or 3 based upon their time submitted).  This will keep you from having to wait in a corral in the sun while the other time groups go off ...

Edited by brian 2006-07-05 11:05 AM

2006-07-05 11:53 AM
in reply to: #474124

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: RE: Peachtree Road Race 10K
Great race ....

"....sprinting towards the finish line from in front of the Federal Reserve on Peachtree Street to Piedmont Park (which seemed a helluva lot longer than the .3 miles that I thought it was!)...." -- I AGREE!! I thought I could make it under my projected time by sprinting that last .3mile but it felt longer but overall, great race.

2006-07-05 12:39 PM

User image

Giver

"... it is ostensibly to motive them towards recovery, but it is also a huge motivation for the runners as well!"

I thought it was so they would see all of the suffering and not miss the feeling in their legs so much.

Great P'tree...so bummed I missed out this year.

2006-07-05 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Awesome job, Brian. Y'all couldn't have been sober to decide to run back to your cars - especially in yesterday's heat.
2006-07-05 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
great race brian!!
2006-07-05 4:12 PM
in reply to: #474447

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Congrats on bettering last year! (Which we would all horse whip you if you hadn't!)

I'm still waiting for a sub 44:00 out of you which I know you have in you .....

2006-07-05 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO

Nice race, Brian!

I can't imagine running in such a crowd of people. You did great. I, too, believe you have a sub 44:00 in you, though.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree Road Race 10K Rss Feed