General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A "Triathlons and Marathons are bad for you!" story... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-03-18 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4663156

New user
Subject: RE: A "Triathlons and Marathons are bad for you!" story...

datlas - 2013-03-17 1:19 PM I get the same thing. Maybe worse, as I am also a vegetarian and the fatso s all give me a hard time about that too.

Just smile and ignore. That's all you can do.

I'm a vegan, so I feel your pain and I hear the same junk you do.

2013-03-18 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4663025

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Try telling someone you whitewater kayak or ride a motorcycle. Reactions I get from some people would probably be comparable to telling them I decided to become a suicide bomber.
2013-03-18 9:24 AM

I don't run super long distances, but I get this at work all the time. Guys standing there smoking with their big gut hanging over their belt telling me of so-and-so they knew who dropped dead while running. GRRR..I did have the nerve the other day to tell them that their belly fat was going to kill them faster than running ever would!

Oh, and the FIL telling us (me and hubby) that we should stop running NOW! because we are destroying our knees.

2013-03-18 9:50 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
If you want to really get people going, throw in the word "only" in front of your distances. Oh it's only a 13 mile run or it's only a 50 mile ride. They really get worked up when you act like it is no big deal. I never bring up my training or racing. I will talk about it when asked though. But I would never say that I think you are crazy for buying a golf cart so you don't have to walk to the mail box. Even though I am thinking it.
2013-03-18 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4663481

User image

DannyII - 2013-03-17 5:44 PM

I'm a real noobie, and I even get that already!  My knees will go bad, ankles will snap, back will hurt, blah, blah, blah...

BTW-My resting heart rate went down a lot, too - from 83-64 BPM.  So, I did the math.  Because of that decrease in resting heart rate, I bank:

19               Beats/minute

1,140          Beats/hour

27,360        Beats/day

820,800      Beats/month

9,986,400   Beats/year

So, even if my HR goes up to my workout max. (158) for an hour every day, I still only use:

158-64=94 extra beats/minute x 60 minutes= 5,640 of my daily savings of 27,360, leaving me 21,720 beats in the bank every day!

I'll still live longer than the couch potatoes!  HA!  Math wins over myth again!!! 

(OCD moment over now.

Laughing

Ha!  I started to pull my calculator out to do this....and had to stop myself as I though "what crazy person would post this."   Nice to see I'm not alone.

2013-03-18 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
I love the, you are tearing your knees up, you will never be able to walk when you get older...I love their reactions to my response...can you go tell that to the 60+ year old man/woman who just passed me like I was sitting still(I am 31)...and that 60+ year old who looks like they are early 40's...yeah, exercising is just so horrible for your body.  I just laugh and say, "Oh well, I will deal with it when that time comes for me."  That usaully ends that...

2013-03-18 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4664198

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

Since this is the 'beginner' triathlete forum, I think this might be worth adding. There is another way to approach this, it's not always "us vs. them".

In general, I try not to bring up the topic of endurance sport, especially if I think it's just gonna be an uphill slog conversationally. And I never bring up my athletic accomplishments or how long I ride, run, swim, or stand on my head. This is a conversation, not an interview for the US olympic team.

All that said, many of these sedentary folks, even those "with their bellies hanging out", probably want a better life. (Maybe, long ago, there were even a few BTers among them.) And even though they may appear to have a bit of a negative mindset, I think part of them is searching, searching for how to get out of the trap of their current lifestyle and poor health. They may look at you as an oddity, but they may also look at you as a solution, a way out.

So I think of myself as an "evangelist", I feel it is my duty to spread the word. When I asked, I enthusiastically explain how easy and doable short triathlons are, how triathlon is not just about 'ironman', how working out in 3 sports is actually easier and a lot more fun than working out in just 1, how grandmothers and overweight folks do triathlons all of time, how fun it is to learn new skills (for many, that's biking or swimming or both), how great exercise (if approached sanely) can make you feel, how they probably already own everything they'd need to complete their first triathlon, the list goes on.

Most of the time, I never know if the seed I plant will grow and blossom. But they may run across others that further inspire them. And then, they decide to give it a shot. And then they become happier, healthlier, a better parent, a better spouse, a better employee or boss, and so on. And the world becomes a better place, one person at a time.

"The arrow that hits the bullseye is the result of the previous 100 misses."

Greg @ dsw

2013-03-18 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4664226

User image

Regular

Roamingseaside - "Ha!  I started to pull my calculator out to do this....and had to stop myself as I though "what crazy person would post this."   Nice to see I'm not alone."

I AM that crazy person.  Mwa-ha-ha-ha!!!

Edited by DannyII 2013-03-18 10:37 AM
2013-03-18 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
These comments are generally all from people who know you do these races but need to justify/rationalize/make excuses for themselves on why they can't/shouldn't/won't etc.  It's right up there with the old classic: I would/could do a triathlon, but I just don't have the time to train. What I hear when someone says that is that they are so much more busy and more important than me, that they can't train due to their time demands.
2013-03-18 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Next time it comes up, say ``According to the National Institute of Health, 28 people died in the 10 years through 2009 running marathons in the U.S. -- six women and 22 men. About 300,000 people die ANNUALLY due to obesity-related problems, according to the surgeon general. I like my odds, big fella.'' and walk away.
2013-03-18 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4664270

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
DarkSpeedWorks - 2013-03-18 11:24 AM

Since this is the 'beginner' triathlete forum, I think this might be worth adding. There is another way to approach this, it's not always "us vs. them".

In general, I try not to bring up the topic of endurance sport, especially if I think it's just gonna be an uphill slog conversationally. And I never bring up my athletic accomplishments or how long I ride, run, swim, or stand on my head. This is a conversation, not an interview for the US olympic team.

All that said, many of these sedentary folks, even those "with their bellies hanging out", probably want a better life. (Maybe, long ago, there were even a few BTers among them.) And even though they may appear to have a bit of a negative mindset, I think part of them is searching, searching for how to get out of the trap of their current lifestyle and poor health. They may look at you as an oddity, but they may also look at you as a solution, a way out.

So I think of myself as an "evangelist", I feel it is my duty to spread the word. When I asked, I enthusiastically explain how easy and doable short triathlons are, how triathlon is not just about 'ironman', how working out in 3 sports is actually easier and a lot more fun than working out in just 1, how grandmothers and overweight folks do triathlons all of time, how fun it is to learn new skills (for many, that's biking or swimming or both), how great exercise (if approached sanely) can make you feel, how they probably already own everything they'd need to complete their first triathlon, the list goes on.

Most of the time, I never know if the seed I plant will grow and blossom. But they may run across others that further inspire them. And then, they decide to give it a shot. And then they become happier, healthlier, a better parent, a better spouse, a better employee or boss, and so on. And the world becomes a better place, one person at a time.

"The arrow that hits the bullseye is the result of the previous 100 misses."

Greg @ dsw

Excellently said DSW!!  I totally concur.

On the other hand, it's much easier to find an excuse than to get off your arse.

2013-03-18 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

Mostly when people say this kind of things it is either because the really don't know how to carry on the conversation because to them "you're from a different planet", or because they somehow try to justify their own lack of exercise.

I have one friend who numerous times tells me you age faster because exercise releases free radicals. But, she smokes and insists that running must be borring. The free radicals theory just fits into her justification for not doing any exercise, and she completely ignore all facts about exercise as well as all the benefits.

It's really a defence mechanism.

2013-03-18 1:24 PM

User image

Regular

I started this process when I could no longer justify/live with/ignore the shape I had allowed myself to get in, and the amount of time I spent in the evenings watching TV.  At the age of 44, I couldn't run 1 lap around the track without sucking wind and my HR going nuts. 

My medical stats were still ok, but my family history is horrendous-diabetes (Type 2), obesity, heart problems, cancers, etc...  I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself, stop making excuses, and just start doing something.  So, I set a goal on August 25, 2012 - run a 5k race I had found the Saturday after Thanksgiving, in Memphis, TN.  And, I started telling friends and family I was going to do it for accountablility reasons.  As the date grew closer, and I stuck with my c25k program, I realized 4 weeks out that I would be ready.  So much so that I mentioned it to my sister-in-law who's in decent shape, works out 3-4 times/week, but wasn't a serious runner.  "We" decided to enter a 4-mile Turkey Trot.  The rest of the family thought we were nuts.  By the day of the race, my other sister-in-law, and my wife decided to enter and walk it, pushing our new nephew in his stroller.  We had a blast!  What a sense of accomplishment!  My 1st runner's high, too!  Sister-in-law #1 7 I ran 100% of the 4 miles,  in 39:33, and didn't get hurt.  Next year, sister-in-law #2, brother-in-law, and the in-laws are planning on doing it with us!  Oh, and I did the 5k on Saturday, too!

So, I like to think that, at least in part because I drew a line in the sand and got of my butt, at least 3 other people in my immediate family stepped out of their comfort zones last year, and 3 more plan to this year.  We've all lost weight, and gotten healthier. 

There are still negative types that try to kill my buzz from time to time, but if I think they are really just curioos about how I did it, I explain the process, and how slowly you have to take it to avoid injury, and a few have said, "I think I can do that."  Bingo!  That's all you need to begin a c25k program.  100%  mental acceptance, 0% physical fitness.  You're qualified!  Now get out there and start.  It really is just that easy.  Along the way, take every chance to explain what you are doing to any willing ears.  You never know who might be inspired to change their own life!

One of the hardest lesson in life for anyone to learn is that no matter how hard you try, you cannot change someone else.  You can only change yourself.  If they see you changing for the better, they just might decide change, too.

2013-03-18 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4664355

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

mr2tony - 2013-03-18 12:09 PM Next time it comes up, say ``According to the National Institute of Health, 28 people died in the 10 years through 2009 running marathons in the U.S. -- six women and 22 men. About 300,000 people die ANNUALLY due to obesity-related problems, according to the surgeon general. I like my odds, big fella.'' and walk away.

Exactly.  

Some people can just avoid talking about their passions and stay tight lipped in the midst of people who may not "get it", but we're not all programmed that way.

You have a smart phone, right?  Arm yourself with some good data like this tidbit from Tony and whip it out when challenged.

2013-03-18 3:51 PM

New user
Same comments different side of the world but most are if i was still young i will be able to do it kind of comments - from 30-35 yr olds! ha!
My better half loved tennis and always asked why i was doing what i was doing - we transferred to a new place with no tennis courts in sight - i asked if she wanted to take a walk - we did for the next 2-3 months every morning, then we started to run a bit then we did our first 5k - she was hooked, then coaxed her into joining a first timer`s marathon - http://tbrdream.com/which caters for first and second timers but done on a brutal course - i was her official pacer and off she finished her first 42k last month - time line for her - less than a year from 0 to marathon - she finished sub 6 hrs and just this weekend she smoked her 3rd 5k, finishing in 30 mins from 35 mins from a few months back. i agree with paying it forward and try to spread as much as possible.
2013-03-18 4:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I haven't gotten this sort of thing to my face, but a few people have told my husband that they were concerned about me getting "athlete's heart" or having problems with mobility late in life. I think I would have more mobility problems if I were sedentary. I doubt it's a bunch of endurance athletes that are keeping The Scooter Store afloat Undecided

2013-03-18 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4665028

Regular
Corona

Right there with you. The people I work with always tell me...

..."Just wait until you're 50...you won't be able to walk."

My dad didn't believe that I did triathlons until he was in town to watch...then he told me that "thins kinda stuff will kill you."

It's hard to get motivated by a bunch of "non-athlete types" telling me what I'm doing is unhealthy when I couldn't imagine living their lifestyle. To each their own I suppose.

2013-03-18 5:08 PM

User image

Regular
2013-03-20 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg

DannyII, I have the same story. My accountability turkey trot has become an annual family event with every person participating now (a few walk).

For the most part when someone asks me "what's next" they are very supportive and interested. At the same time, I encourage them to just start small and go. As for the silly comments, my favorite is from my neighbor who reminds me of this fact every few months. She was a PE teacher. She says "In school I learned that running causes your insides to age 10 years faster. All that jostling around causes them to age and breakdown. So a runner's body may look good on the outside, but on the inside it's 10 yrs older. Scientists proved it in autopsies." She is absolutely serious. And I do my best not to giggle.

2013-03-20 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4667993

User image

Extreme Veteran
runswithcrazydog - 2013-03-20 1:40 PM

DannyII, I have the same story. My accountability turkey trot has become an annual family event with every person participating now (a few walk).

For the most part when someone asks me "what's next" they are very supportive and interested. At the same time, I encourage them to just start small and go. As for the silly comments, my favorite is from my neighbor who reminds me of this fact every few months. She was a PE teacher. She says "In school I learned that running causes your insides to age 10 years faster. All that jostling around causes them to age and breakdown. So a runner's body may look good on the outside, but on the inside it's 10 yrs older. Scientists proved it in autopsies." She is absolutely serious. And I do my best not to giggle.

If I keep running, I guess that means I hate my guts Undecided

2013-03-20 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4664261

New user
Key West

TriGuy05 - 2013-03-18 11:22 AM I love the, you are tearing your knees up, you will never be able to walk when you get older...I love their reactions to my response...can you go tell that to the 60+ year old man/woman who just passed me like I was sitting still(I am 31)...and that 60+ year old who looks like they are early 40's...yeah, exercising is just so horrible for your body.  I just laugh and say, "Oh well, I will deal with it when that time comes for me."  That usaully ends that...

I've been running for over 32 years and just turned 59. I have heard all of the lines, including the one about it being bad for your knees. In fact people still tell me that.  I have never once had a knee problem. Do I have aches and pains now and then, and have I had other overuse injuries, yes, but they pass and I feel great, weigh the same as I did in HS, and always amaze my doctor at my annual checkup with my blood chemistry, etc.

I have no idea when my time will be up, but I want to feel my absolute best until that day comes. Training for Tri's and running, including marathons, makes me happier and healthier than I would be if I wasn't doing this. All I have to do is look at my sedentary sister who calls me crazy and then tells me about all of her medical problems. Hmmmm

2013-03-20 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4665028

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
MichelleK - 2013-03-18 5:18 PM

I haven't gotten this sort of thing to my face, but a few people have told my husband that they were concerned about me getting "athlete's heart" or having problems with mobility late in life. I think I would have more mobility problems if I were sedentary. I doubt it's a bunch of endurance athletes that are keeping The Scooter Store afloat Undecided

Bold part made me snort my drink. 

2013-03-20 6:53 PM

User image

Hahahaha.  Great stories.  
2013-03-20 7:29 PM

User image

Regular

Triathlons and Marathons might be bad for you.

People might start to feel inadequate and insecure about their lack of exercise and social parity of what is the norm in their immediate circle (aka universe).

They might try to belittle you.

Give them a cupcake.

2013-03-20 7:52 PM

User image

Master
The people in my life that know what I'm up to don't say things like that to me. One women did ask me if my husband minded that I was getting so dark from being out in the sun so much, and another told me that they're afraid they'll have big, bulky legs like mine. Surprised From this part of the world it's not attractive to have dark skin and be all bulky, I guess. The men are usually just impressed and supportive.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A "Triathlons and Marathons are bad for you!" story... Rss Feed  

of 3