Team Ortho
26F / -3C
Precipitation
Total Time = 37m 2s
Overall Rank = 656/9815
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 212/1052
Pre-race routine:

Rounded up the women and headed toward downtown. This race was done completely off the cuff. I knew it would be cold (similar temps to the TCM this year, in fact), and I didn't want to flare up my IT band again, so I knew going in that I wouldn't be running too hard. Further, we had a busy day, with my daughter's birthday party in the afternoon and leaving for a cruise on Sunday. Given that half of the neighborhood (ie, many of the ladies, and a few of the men) were coming and treating it as a start (or mid point) to the St. Patrick's day festivities, this was about as low key as one can get for a "race". This may be why I felt fine about having some cocktails and shorting my sleep the night prior to the race.
Event warmup:

Not much- I jogged down the street from the parking lot to the line-up area. I decided I needed to get a pre-race deuce out of the way, and headed to the port-a-johns just before the "official" start. The johns at the SE corner of the race festival (closest to the start line) had lines 20 deep, but simply walking toward the bag drop led to spots without a line at all. I took care of business and headed back toward the line up. This was at least 3 minutes after the race start, and I wasn't sure which group I was lining up with. It showed...
Run
  • 37m 2s
  • 4.35 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, just like Bikergrrl mentioned, I was clearly in the wrong group. I apparently passed 1102 runners, and was passed by 13. It was VERY icy, and given that I was trying to avoid injury going into it, I definitely was going to take it easy, and essentially turned this into a glorified training run. The good news is that I didn't get injured, and had a lot of fun (See costume). Given the shuffling/skating gait, I was surprisingly sore the next day. Maybe it was my lack of appropriate cool down or the fact that I haven't really been running much lately.
What would you do differently?:

Pray for better weather? I know it can't be 80 degrees for EVERY St. Paddy's day, but something in the 40s with a little less ice would be nice...Oh, and I should probably run more, but that's not news
Post race
Warm down:

Well, I found some water (ice, actually. The water they had poured had partially frozen), then walked to the nearest bar to find my neighbors and wife, and to collect my free beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ice and obvious lack of training. I don't think I could have run 7:30s if I wanted to...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-03-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:02 | 04.35 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 212/1052
Overall: 656/9815
Performance: Average
Didn't work! I've been hating my HR monitor and Wahoo key for about the last 6 months.
Course: Winding course across the Stone Arch Bridge, NW along the East bank to 8th Ave, then back down West River Rd into downtown.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-27 10:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: Get Lucky 7K

2013-03-28 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4677316

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Get Lucky 7K

Sweet hat!

Technically, I think everyone ELSE was in the wrong group

It was just a sheety day/venue for a run.  Oh well, at least the sweatshirt is nice.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-03-28 10:16 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Get Lucky 7K Rss Feed