Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Saddened ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-04-05 12:09 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: Saddened ...

A young girl (H.S. freshman) from our hometown committed suicide a couple of days ago.  The statements reported were that she had depression and anxiety for quite awhile, added to that she reported of being bullied.  According to the news, the parents had her in counseling, too.

No, I do not know the girl or knew anything about her until I heard the news.  She was a year younger than my eldest son and a year older than my second son.  They may have met her sometime while growing up.  My second son took the news a little hard when it was heard at school.  Because it affected him, it affected me.

It is so troubling to hear of potentially great kids having to resort to such drastic actions.

Whatever it takes, tell that special someone that you know that you love them dearly.

2013-04-05 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4688244

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Saddened ...

This saddens me too, because I've been there. It is horrendous anytime, but back then, at that age, when it's the first time it all hits you at once, it can truly feel unbearable. There were several BTers but for whom I probably would not be here now.

I'm glad you posted it, though. I feel like I have so much to say ... EVERYONE will encounter this issue, either in themselves or someone they know.

There IS help. Whether you have insurance or not, whether you believe it or not, THERE IS HELP. And yes, it might be long and frustrating and bureaucratic, but it really may not either, and it is MUCH EASIER to go through than what you are now.

And the rest of us--please never be afraid or hesitate to reach out to someone regardless of how well you know them or not. These really can be life or death issues ... treat them as if you just saw someone go off a bridge in a car.

2013-04-05 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4688262

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
TriAya - 2013-04-05 12:18 PM

This saddens me too, because I've been there. It is horrendous anytime, but back then, at that age, when it's the first time it all hits you at once, it can truly feel unbearable. There were several BTers but for whom I probably would not be here now.

I'm glad you posted it, though. I feel like I have so much to say ... EVERYONE will encounter this issue, either in themselves or someone they know.

There IS help. Whether you have insurance or not, whether you believe it or not, THERE IS HELP. And yes, it might be long and frustrating and bureaucratic, but it really may not either, and it is MUCH EASIER to go through than what you are now.

And the rest of us--please never be afraid or hesitate to reach out to someone regardless of how well you know them or not. These really can be life or death issues ... treat them as if you just saw someone go off a bridge in a car.

Another beautiful statement by her Yantiness.  Thank you, dear.

2013-04-05 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
One of my mentors committed suicide in February. It was the weekend after I just had a great women's cycling training camp with him. It was pretty hard on me and the first time I dealt with something like this. Sorry to hear this. It's tragic.
2013-04-05 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
I lost my cousin two years ago at age 15 from suicide. It too was the end of a depressive and somewhat confusing time in his life. It's still not easy and I think of him often.
2013-04-05 12:46 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Suicide is something that hits me personally. Especially someone so young. No, I haven't been personally affected by more than 1 suicide, that I can think of (And he was found to have very advanced lung cancer. )

However, as a person that struggled with depression for years - and it turned out to be bipolar type II - I can understand. Usually the reason why I never acted upon my urges was that I realized how hard it would be on others. I would be getting the "easy out". However, I'm guessing at such a young age she may not have realized these things.

The signs of depression are easy to spot. But one of the most ironic (maybe??) things about depression...after it's suspected, it takes awhile to get the treatment you need! You make an appointment, unless you are in the inpatient phase, which if you can get in to see the doctor in the next 2 weeks - that's good. And then you get prescribed an anti-depressant (if that is what is deemed as treatment), but the anti-depressant could take up to a month to work. And it MAY not be the right one/end up working well.

I guess this is my PSA?!?!? It's not easy to mend. And no, you can not just "snap" out of clinical depression. I think one of the "easiest" things to offer to someone who might be depressed is some of your time. Just getting out and doing something is great medicine. Even if it's to go to a movie. A very common depressive symptom is to hibernate. You don't want to leave your bed or your room...but it's good "medicine".

I feel for the young girl's family.

2013-04-05 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4688310

User image

Champion
lkct01234 - 2013-04-05 1:46 PM

Suicide is something that hits me personally. Especially someone so young. No, I haven't been personally affected by more than 1 suicide, that I can think of (And he was found to have very advanced lung cancer. )

However, as a person that struggled with depression for years - and it turned out to be bipolar type II - I can understand. Usually the reason why I never acted upon my urges was that I realized how hard it would be on others. I would be getting the "easy out". However, I'm guessing at such a young age she may not have realized these things.

The signs of depression are easy to spot. But one of the most ironic (maybe??) things about depression...after it's suspected, it takes awhile to get the treatment you need! You make an appointment, unless you are in the inpatient phase, which if you can get in to see the doctor in the next 2 weeks - that's good. And then you get prescribed an anti-depressant (if that is what is deemed as treatment), but the anti-depressant could take up to a month to work. And it MAY not be the right one/end up working well.

I guess this is my PSA?!?!? It's not easy to mend. And no, you can not just "snap" out of clinical depression. I think one of the "easiest" things to offer to someone who might be depressed is some of your time. Just getting out and doing something is great medicine. Even if it's to go to a movie. A very common depressive symptom is to hibernate. You don't want to leave your bed or your room...but it's good "medicine".

I feel for the young girl's family.

Well said. I also have, in speaking with a nurse, learned that the first few days of an anti-depressive medication can be a very risky time for suicide. Because you feel less depressed and have the energy, positivity and confidence that you can indeed commit the act.

It's a terrible silent killing disease. No one often talks about it openly because of the stigma.
2013-04-05 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4688317

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
pitt83 - 2013-04-05 10:49 AM

It's a terrible silent killing disease. No one often talks about it openly because of the stigma.

I agree. Maybe it has been so many years struggling with it, that I feel its just part of who I am. And depression is not something you did wrong - for me it's just bad genes. It is an illness, although not one that is visible or easy to explain.

I've heard those who have struggled with depression and cancer - and said that cancer was a piece of cake comparatively! (That might have been someone on here...and I'm sure it all depends on everyone's situation.)
2013-04-05 1:28 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Interesting you posted this.....

I called the police in a small town in Florida last night (I live in Michigan).

My wife was on face book and a friend of a friend (neither of us know her) posted that she was planning to commit suicide. It may have been drunk posting. It was definitely a cry for help. A lot of people had posted nice words to her on her page but we felt that something definitive needed to be done and it wasn't clear that had happened..

It was very odd. I felt like I was being interrogated by the police. I am not sure I would have been able to sleep last night had I done nothing.
2013-04-05 1:54 PM

User image

Master
MidWest

All of our children and myself suffer from depression.  Fortunately for them, I believe in getting help and it helped them to seek out help!  Hubby doesn't believe that depression is really medicine worthy.  He always think that if you just think positive thoughts you won't be depressed.  Our oldest self-medicates.  

Even with meds, I still need to take Xanax in order to keep some of those thoughts at bay.  There are certain triggers that i haven't figured out how to handle yet.

When hubby left us, suicide was always a thought away.  The only thing that kept me from following through was what it would do to my kids and what my grandson would think of me.  

2013-04-05 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4688446

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Terrible.  My condolences.

Sounds like the parents did what they could, but yet another reminder to be in touch with  your kids.  Not just around them, but truly present.  Enough to maybe pick up on something and not disregard them as phases/moody or too much effort to deal with at the moment.

BUT, I'm not a parent, so I don't know how hard it is.

2013-04-05 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4688394

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

wannabefaster - 2013-04-05 2:28 PM Interesting you posted this..... I called the police in a small town in Florida last night (I live in Michigan). My wife was on face book and a friend of a friend (neither of us know her) posted that she was planning to commit suicide. It may have been drunk posting. It was definitely a cry for help. A lot of people had posted nice words to her on her page but we felt that something definitive needed to be done and it wasn't clear that had happened.. It was very odd. I felt like I was being interrogated by the police. I am not sure I would have been able to sleep last night had I done nothing.

I would just like to say GREAT JOB!!! on doing this. Even though you didn't really know her, you took the time and initiative to try and stop a terrible situation before it happened. I work in Law Enforcement and have unfortunately dealt with numerous suicide incidents. In my experiences, one common theme is that a majority of people who either commit or try to commit suicide do tell someone or drop clues to their intentions. Most really do not want too but see no other solution to their problems and are looking for someone to help them. Could you tell us what happened? is she ok? But seriously, even if she didn't really mean it or plan on doing anything, good job calling 911 and sending someone to check her wellbeing.

2013-04-05 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4688460

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
dmbfan4life20 - 2013-04-05 3:01 PM

wannabefaster - 2013-04-05 2:28 PM Interesting you posted this..... I called the police in a small town in Florida last night (I live in Michigan). My wife was on face book and a friend of a friend (neither of us know her) posted that she was planning to commit suicide. It may have been drunk posting. It was definitely a cry for help. A lot of people had posted nice words to her on her page but we felt that something definitive needed to be done and it wasn't clear that had happened.. It was very odd. I felt like I was being interrogated by the police. I am not sure I would have been able to sleep last night had I done nothing.

I would just like to say GREAT JOB!!! on doing this. Even though you didn't really know her, you took the time and initiative to try and stop a terrible situation before it happened. I work in Law Enforcement and have unfortunately dealt with numerous suicide incidents. In my experiences, one common theme is that a majority of people who either commit or try to commit suicide do tell someone or drop clues to their intentions. Most really do not want too but see no other solution to their problems and are looking for someone to help them. Could you tell us what happened? is she ok? But seriously, even if she didn't really mean it or plan on doing anything, good job calling 911 and sending someone to check her wellbeing.

I have no idea what happened.

I talked to an officer who said they were on their way to see her. I would love to hear what happened but I don't know that they are obligated or even allowed to tell me what the end result was.

Her facebook posting implied that she had tried in the past but that she was planning on making sure this time. Like I said, a pretty clear cry for help.
2013-04-05 3:05 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Please use this thread for additional discussion regarding depression, anxiety issues, and for bullying issues.

It needs to be discussed, just as much as gun control, political issues, Lance Armstrong, goofy threads, dating threads, etc. etc. etc.

You are all welcome for your thoughts.  A healthy discussion sometimes help.

Most of all, THANK YOU all, for participating.  You just never know who you may help.

2013-04-05 3:11 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
One of my classmates in high school committed suicide. I talked to him in a couple of classes, but wasn't real close friends with him. He was a "stoner" type who was pretty shy and rarely talked to anyone that wasn't the "Stoner" type. All of a sudden one day they made an announcement that he had overdosed. It was very sad. 
2013-04-05 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
That is heartbreaking to hear! this brings back memories when i was bullied and tortured in high school for being gay and i was not even open. And for my androgynous looks as a guy. Cant tell you how many times i have tried suicide and failed, something always pulled me back. Then lost my mother to an overdose to get away from my abusive father. I came out of this a stronger person now that i think back on this. The potential to be a better person and to be better than those that hurt me emotionally and physically back then. They missed out on a good friend! so often kids and most adults dont see the greatness deep inside each other.

2013-04-05 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4688799

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
yarislab - 2013-04-05 4:51 PMThat is heartbreaking to hear! this brings back memories when i was bullied and tortured in high school for being gay and i was not even open. And for my androgynous looks as a guy. Cant tell you how many times i have tried suicide and failed, something always pulled me back. Then lost my mother to an overdose to get away from my abusive father. I came out of this a stronger person now that i think back on this. The potential to be a better person and to be better than those that hurt me emotionally and physically back then. They missed out on a good friend! so often kids and most adults dont see the greatness deep inside each other.
2013-04-05 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4688802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
yarislab - 2013-04-05 4:54 PM
yarislab - 2013-04-05 4:51 PMThat is heartbreaking to hear! this brings back memories when i was bullied and tortured in high school for being gay and i was not even open. And for my androgynous looks as a guy. Cant tell you how many times i have tried suicide and failed, something always pulled me back. Then lost my mother to an overdose to get away from my abusive father. I came out of this a stronger person now that i think back on this. The potential to be a better person and to be better than those that hurt me emotionally and physically back then. They missed out on a good friend! so often kids and most adults dont see the greatness deep inside each other.
sorry dp
2013-04-05 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4688446

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
BAMBAM66 - 2013-04-05 12:54 PM

All of our children and myself suffer from depression.  Fortunately for them, I believe in getting help and it helped them to seek out help!  Hubby doesn't believe that depression is really medicine worthy.  He always think that if you just think positive thoughts you won't be depressed.  

Unfortunately too many people feel this way about depression. I have found that running has really helped my depression/anxiety...been a runner for close to 30 years. I have also been on meds off and on over the years. recently I'm on something that has minimal side effects...at least none that really bother me. Depression is often genetic. I know it is in my family. I worry about my 13-year old daughter. We're in counseling and I try my best to communicate wit her. Her mom and I have split which has not helped things. Anyway, depression I think is not understood by many. You can't just turn a switchsad about this girl. I can't imagine losing a child. Suicide would be especially hard.
2013-04-05 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4688799

User image

Champion
yarislab - 2013-04-05 5:51 PM

That is heartbreaking to hear! this brings back memories when i was bullied and tortured in high school for being gay and i was not even open. And for my androgynous looks as a guy. Cant tell you how many times i have tried suicide and failed, something always pulled me back. Then lost my mother to an overdose to get away from my abusive father. I came out of this a stronger person now that i think back on this. The potential to be a better person and to be better than those that hurt me emotionally and physically back then. They missed out on a good friend! so often kids and most adults dont see the greatness deep inside each other.

I know bumper sticker slogans don't ever mean much or aren't deep, but the "it get's better" campaign is one of the bes ideas i've heard of in years. Sounds like an encapsulation of what you went through.
2013-04-05 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI

It's been 23 years since my nephew committed suicide at age 14. Pretty much not a day goes by that I don't think about him...what kind of man might he be today?...married? kids? career?...but we'll never know. He was facing what he thought was a serious issue, but didn't reach out to anyone. So many things I'd like to be able to say to him. My sister has persevered through the years, but I know she still hurts.

My advice is to try your best to reach out to someone who might be struggling. You never know if it will your voice that prevents these terrible tragedies.  

2013-04-05 10:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
So sad, but I'm glad to see it being talked about. My father took his life a few years back, my mother has suffered from serious depression issues for many years. Recently my sister and my brother have gone on meds and sadly, having been off depression meds myself for some 6 years, I have recently made an appt to see my psych to go back on. The old demons are back. Thanks for posting.
2013-04-05 10:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-06 5:47 AM

Melon Presser

This thread goes through cycles of being active and not, but it's a fantastic place right here on BT to get and give support, discuss, vent, question, etc:

Depression and Moods: Check In

This one is really good too, for those struggling with or affected by substance abuse issues:

Becoming Sober

2013-04-06 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4689138

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
TriAya - 2013-04-06 5:47 AM

This thread goes through cycles of being active and not, but it's a fantastic place right here on BT to get and give support, discuss, vent, question, etc:

Depression and Moods: Check In

This one is really good too, for those struggling with or affected by substance abuse issues:

Becoming Sober

. Thanks for adding this, your Yantiness. And thanks to those that have opened up and posted so far. You are appreciated.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Saddened ... Rss Feed  

of 2