Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Pre and Post Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-08 8:07 AM

User image

New Hamburg, Ontario
Subject: Pre and Post Nutrition

I am looking for some ideas for pre and post work out nutrition.

Any suggestions?

Tracy

Edited by Dental mom 2013-04-08 8:15 AM

2013-04-08 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4690986

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Pre and Post Nutrition

Pre-workout for me is a tough. If its an hour or less i tend not to eat any thing - especially in a weekday morning workout.  That's mostly because I won't wake up in time to let things digest before doing my workout.

I will however on the long run/long ride days wake up and have a normal breakfast. I have experimented a lot - i know that even my high-fibre cereal is just fine - i just need to have it at least a half hour in advance.  For me, that will be cereal, toast, or oatmeal but not overly large portions.  Most will recommend that you not do high-fibre before. And for me it is very important to visit the washroom before heading out! haha - to prevent a seriously pressing need when already out.

As for post workout - there's always chocolate milk - tasty and proven to be a good ratio of carbs to protein for recovery.  Personally, I have always loved to finish my long runs at Starbucks - which i would like to think a latte goes for the above - still milk-based. hahaha. 

But there is quite a bit of research and information out there on post-workout nutrition where a combo of protein and carbs are recommended and that it be within 30 minutes of finishing. Maybe a smoothie or a sandwich with lean meats and veggies.  But then how much and what you eat may be dictated by what time of day you are working out.

2013-04-08 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4690986

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Pre and Post Nutrition

In the morning I like a banana about half an hour before a run.  I usually eat a banana, take the dog for a walk and then run afterwards.  For swimming, I have a normal breakfast about half an hour before.   For biking I can eat anything before.  Later in the day I usually have a good snack between 3 and 4 and then workout around 6 without a problem.

Afterwards I like chocolate milk, my normal breakfast, yogurt, or something like that.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Pre and Post Nutrition Rss Feed