Red Rock Co.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 34s
Overall Rank = 4/277
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/18
Pre-race routine:

I decided just last week that I would drop into this race. My planned 2013 winter run race season met an quick end when my achilles tendonitis became so severe I was forced to stop running for most of Jan. and get aggressive with the PT. I even had to lay off cycling for almost 2 weeks. But thanks to Brandon at Endurance Rehab and a lot of functional DuraFit strength training, I was able to resume run training at the start of Feb. I have to be honest, I was unsure if I would hold up and came to peace with the idea if the injury flared up again, I might have to pull the plug on the 2013 season. We were also anticipating the arrival of jensen in March and the unknown of how that would impact our lives put the idea of not doing some big races in proper persepctive. Eh, so what? :)

Once I started running again I tried to enter a local 15K the first weekend in march but that went south when jensen arrived 10 days early! Smart guy here took out race insurance on that one, finally getting a refund of entry fee's unlike the 3 run races I had paid for but wasn't able to do! Dumb. Training up unti his birth march 5th had been going well and after the initial week or two of becoming baby acclimated, training since has been very good. Lot's of quality to make up for much less volume. Skip some of the chaff, and get to the wheat!

I had raced this event last year at the Olympic distance and actually won the whole thing. But this year do to conflicts with the Reservation Indians, they had to alter the bike course to the old Tempe hamsetr wheel of turn arounds. Shame. I decided I didn't feel like doing 28 miles on that course so I signed up for my very first Sprint race! In a nice bit of serendipity, a few days before the race, a buddy of mine who was racing athe LeadMan 125K relay with an organization that raises money for active miltary serveice members in needed a swimmer. Since there was a 2 hour gap between the LeadMan start and the Sprint, I volunteered. So I would do a 2.5K swim and then the Sprint, it would be a morning of first for me and I was really looking forward to it!
Event warmup:

So at 7:00am, first up was the relay swim. My plan was to try and push the pace as I wanted to do well for the team and wasn't really looking at the Sprint as an important race. The relay was in the 3rd wave with M45-54. I sawm hard and got into open water and settled into a decent grove. Sighting was a bit difficult due to the sun as always but I had a pretty good line and quickly began to encounter the back of the 2nd wave. Contact was minimal, the only issue I had was my left goggle kept slowly filling with water and I would have to rollover on my back to clear it frequently.

2.5K is a funny distance, it doesn't seem like it should feel like a lot more then a Half but it kind of did drag on. I was so far east in Tempe Town lake I felt like I was doing IMAZ. Finally heading back I tried to pick up the pace some more. I had figured maybe a high 30min time but I forgot to wear my Garmin. My final time was 41:42, so pretty much THE EXACT SAME PACE I SWIM REGARDLESS OF RACE DISTANCE ALL THE TIME! Well, at least I am not slower considering the amount of swimming I have been missing since Jensen was born, which actually made me feel pretty good. :) Our relay team went on to finish 3rd OA, which was really satisfying knowing what a great cause it was for.

So know I was really in uncharted territory, standing around waiting 90min for the Sprint to start. I drank a liter of coconut water and had a PR bar but it was getting warm and I was still wearing the bottom half of my wet suit as I was afraid if I took it off when wet i would never get it back on! By the time 9am rolled around and I was zipped back in, I was sweating and feeling a little tired.
Swim
  • 13m 23s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Although I certainly felt tired from the 2.5K, I felt like I swam ok, certainly not very "sprinty", I just felt like I had one gear and that's what I went with.It certainly went by quickly and before I knew it i was back at the stairs getting out. I chose not to wear my Garmin for the race, I was curious to do a race just by feel and figured this was a good opportunity.
What would you do differently?:

Not swim 2.5K before my race but I wouldn't change that for the world.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

I had a decent T1, I think. I had my shoes clipped in and really love the S-Works tri shoes with the Boa closure system for quick T1's.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 34m 39s
  • 14 miles
  • 24.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I think this is where I regret not wearing my Garmin with HR. Was I pushing? Yes, was it a true Sprint effort or more like an Olympic? Probably the later. The course was crowded but I never felt like that interfered with my progress I just don't feel confidant I was going as hard as I should/could. Regardless, it felt good to be out on the bike and going fast at a race.

Find that extra 5%.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

And here is where I lost the podium. I found out later I was 3rd coming off the bike. I was using the new ZOOT Kiawe 2.0 racing flat, which I absolutley love. My issue is that with my orthotic inserts in them, they can be difficult to get on quickly. I had to actually sit down to pull them on properly and was shuffled back to 5th palce before hitting the run course. My transitions for long course are perfectly fine but not so much of a Sprint!

Many thing.
Run
  • 19m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

My thrid mistake of the day, after not wearing the Garmin and my crap T2, was in the first mile or so of the run, I sort of slowly built up to race pace. I wasn't sure how I would feel and treated it like I was running an Olympic. Once I got moving I actually felt pretty strong but it was too late to make any inroads. I did catch and pass my friend Todd Witten and another younger racer before going under the 202 at around the half way mark and considering I had the 3rd fatsets run split after what had been a long morning of racing on a course with a short, steep climb, I was pleased with my split.

Run faster sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

I had promised Jamie I would be home ASAP, so i immediatley went back to transition, packed up my gear, and at 11:30 was the first bike released! Home before 12:30 to my wife and son and still being able to have a great morning racing = WINNING. :) I was pleased with my race, a little disspointed to miss the podium by :14 but a great learning experience. I also relaize that I have had a great run of top OA results but as I get older, those will become fewer and farther between and my focus will return to AG results. And I am ok with that as well. :)

Last updated: 2013-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:23 | 820 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 11/277
Performance: Average
Suit: ZOOT Prophet
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:39 | 14 miles | 24.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/18
Overall: 3/277
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The usual Chninese arithmatic Tempe bike course....
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:19:24 | 03.1 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/18
Overall: 2/277
Performance: Good
Course: A flat run along the north shore of the lake heading east then a flat trail run heading back west until a short but steep climb up Lakeview to Curry and back down to mill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-15 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: Marquee Triathlon - Sprint Course

2013-04-15 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4700696

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Marquee Triathlon - Sprint Course
Awesome job - esp coming off of injury and adjusting to a newborn in your life!
Congrats and so cool you got to race with a great relay group!
2013-04-15 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ

"fatsets"...that is a new word that I have now added to my training vocabulary.  That's the best typo I've seen on here.

Well done with all the distractions.  Sounds like a pretty decent race overall and you were home without much of a ruckus.  Bonus points!

2013-04-15 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Show off... I would love to just get a wisp of your running ability.
2013-04-15 7:27 PM

User image

Nice job balancing a relay, sprint, and family time all in one day.

2013-04-16 1:58 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Nice RR Bryan - I think I heard groaning from the local AG competitors based on your final comment.

2013-04-16 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Good job, way to balance out racing, helping others, and family. And racing pretty dang well to boot.
2013-04-19 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Did you enjoy your picnic in T2?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed