General Discussion Race Reports! » Central Florida Triathlon Series Race #2 - Short C Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Central Florida Triathlon Series Race #2 - Short C - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clermont, Florida
United States
Sommer Sports
Total Time = 1h 25m 19s
Overall Rank = 74/332
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 16/34
Pre-race routine:

Rode down to the lake from the hotel, with my spiffy new transition backpack on. Snafu: I had forgotten my running shoes in the rush to leave the day before! I set out my loafers; figured I could run in the grass whenever possible, I wasn't going to quit! Another guy noticed this and was nice enough to go get a spare pair of running shoes for me. The loafers would've made for some cool pics, though.
Event warmup:

Swam about 1/4 mile out and back
Swim
  • 16m 49s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nice smooth swim that felt short after the last couple of Oly races. My sighting was good, although I did have to stop and clear my goggles after turning toward shore as they were fogged and I couldn't see the buoys.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Bike
  • 40m 15s
  • 14.25 miles
  • 21.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Got a draft penalty..see my later comments. The ride was good otherwise. My legs were extremely sore from Thursday's bridge ride, so I just sat down and spun. Good pacing up the hills. Passed a ton of people, was passed by 2 guys, one in my age group, who I then chased throughout the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Run
  • 24m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run for me. I felt good and was chasing several guys in my age group, but never did pass them. I think there were 4 of us, separated by less than 2 minutes at the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, ate some cookies and watermelon. I felt like the race was just a warmup; I could've gone and done a real ride afterward! :)

Event comments:

I'm putting this race report up mainly so I'll have it to search on later..I know it wasn't any epic race or performance.

At any rate, I am happy with my performance today; averaged 21 mph on a hilly bike course, reasonable swim for me, and a decent run. You can tell by my rankings in the events where I spend my time, though:

Swim: 25/34, Bike 6/34, Run 19/34. :)

The annoying part: I got a drafting penalty, and I know exactly where and when. I got passed by 2 guys just as we were coming up on at least 2 more riders, and we hit a slight rise. The guy who'd just passed in front immediately slowed down, and there we were, trying to get unbunched.

I actually coasted and braked, trying to get some separation from this jackass. I heard the motorcycle in back of me about this time.. I repassed both of these guys, and got clear in front, but the motorcycle came back by me, and I figured they were writing my number down.

Argggh. I'm not sure why it even bothers me; I went from 13th to 16th in the age group results, no money or professional standings are involved, but I just know I wasn't drafting. One of the refs is actually a guy from our tri club, I may ask him about it but I will probably just say "F it" and try to avoid that situation in the future..if I can.

Don't want to leave this on a bad note; it was a beautiful day for a race, my training and body composition are coming along, and I'm happy to have been there. My actual bike time would've put me 27th out of 332 entrants. :)

We left in time to return to the hotel and swim some, and then went to Orlando to eat at the Crazy Buffet. Mmmm..this place has filet mignon, Mongolian BBQ, sushi, shrimp, Chinese food, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. Expensive, but worth it.

Last updated: 2006-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:49 | 820 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/34
Overall: 0/332
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Usual triangular course in the lake, swum CCW
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:15 | 14.25 miles | 21.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/34
Overall: 27/332
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Same as the last couple of Olympic races, with a shorter turn-around point in the rolling hills along Cherry Lake Drive (I think that's the name..)
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:15 | 03.11 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/34
Overall: 0/332
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-07-10 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Central Florida Triathlon Series Race #2 - Short C

2006-07-10 8:23 PM
in reply to: #478354

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Central Florida Triathlon Series Race #2 - Short C

Hey Kendall, nice fast pace in the race.  You're giving me hope.  Maybe after my oly in late august, I'll find Sprints "easy" 

Sorry about the penalty.  I understand why you were frustrated.  Good thing it's not an A-race. 

2006-07-10 9:22 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
It's easy to get frustrated with things like that - good to refocus on what was good about the day.
2006-07-12 6:19 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

penatlties suck, but happen. Nice race anyway

2006-07-13 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

The refs are on to you at these races!

Great job especially on the run...

2006-07-13 6:47 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome race Kendall

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Central Florida Triathlon Series Race #2 - Short C Rss Feed