of 2

2013-05-02 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4723543

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: post-Boston security
Dan-L - 2013-05-02 7:20 AM

We don't live in a new world.  The appropriate response to the risk in this instance is to do nothing.

So you're against all security measures? Intersting.

What about, say, the security overnight when you must leave your bike in transition at a triathlon? You realize that was only implemented when bikes began disappearing..

Edited by lisac957 2013-05-02 10:19 AM

2013-05-02 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4723940

User image

Pro
lisac957 - 2013-05-02 10:15 AM

We don't live in a new world.  The appropriate response to the risk in this instance is to do nothing.

What about, say, the security overnight when you must leave your bike in transition at a triathlon? You realize that was only implemented when bikes began disappearing..

Bikes have been getting stolen since there were..................bikes.

2013-05-02 10:23 AM

User image

lisac957 - 2013-05-02 4:15 PM

What about, say, the security overnight when you must leave your bike in transition at a triathlon? You realize that was only recently implemented when bikes began disappearing..

I meant to do nothing more than we do now.  Leaving bikes worth thousands of dollars unattended is an invitation to thieves.  Basic security measures against theft are sensible.  Taking measures against a threat that virtually doesn't exist isn't logical and peversely encourages more terrorism as they know they can get to you and change your way of life.

I admit I get really passionate about this subject as I feel like I've lived under the cloud of it all my life but I will not curtail to their madness and it really pushes my buttons when I feel like society is starting to do just that.

How about this: more people died in the two years after 9/11 as a result of traffic accidents that were taken in trips resulting as people being scared of flying because of terrorists.

Source: http://thestatsblog.wordpress.com/2008/01/16/fear-of-flying-after-911-led-to-increase-in-auto-deaths/

2013-05-02 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4723956

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Left Brain - 2013-05-02 10:22 AM

But there didn't used to be security in transition, or people checking wristbands to bike numbers after races... simple measures put in place to prevent that kind of stuff.

2013-05-02 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4723903

User image

1_Mad_Madone - 2013-05-02 4:03 PM

You have nothing to fear except fear itself.

A lot of the world outside of the US is used to living with the threat of terrorism within its borders.  We certainly are here in London after the threat of the Irish terrorists (ironically often funded by collections in Boston) and we take great pride in doing very little as citizens in showing that we've been scared, feel threatened or even take their pathetic rhetoric seriously.

Most of these idiots are too stupid to be able to pull it off properly anyway.  The UK just put six Muslim terrorists in jail for life after they failed to blow up a right wing political rally because they turned up too late and there was no-one left to blow up.  They were stopped by the police on the way home because they weren't insured on their vehicle and the police found a bomb and a suicide note inside.  Most people's reaction has been to laugh at them, lock them up for life and carry on as normal.

WOW...

Same world new circumstances...

Do nothing; expect more of the same which is not acceptable.

Fear? This is not a game it is real life. Not fear but unaccepting of the new normal.

Expect more of this Normal? Get used to it why?

In London you have how many cameras? Maybe not the common citizen but your Government has taken extensive measures to ensure your safety.

You call them idiots and say they are not smart but think about it a few minutes earlier and you would have been on the news I guess that would be ok because it is normal to you... they have you fooled they will keep doing this as long as there are people that think they are not capable...

I guess it is strange that you live with the what you considered Normal; WE will not live with that Normal we will do something about it and we will need to learn how...

You take measures that are proportionate to the threat.  In this instance there is no need for the common man in the street to do anything but remain vigilant (as we all should have been before).  I’m not telling you to get used to it, accept it, be passive about it or bend over and take a grenade up the backside – I’m advising you to not respond in a disproportionate way as it gives them a small victory and encourages them to do more.  Don’t let them change your way of life or occupy your brain time.  You’re so much more at risk of falling down the stairs of being killed by a mis-hit golf ball than you are by a terrorist.  I'm on your side. 

2013-05-02 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4723971

User image

Master
University Park, MD
lisac957 - 2013-05-02 11:26 AM 

But there didn't used to be security in transition, or people checking wristbands to bike numbers after races... simple measures put in place to prevent that kind of stuff.

Right. This targets a very well documented threat. Millions of dollars worth of bikes in transition, lots of folks out there who are intent on stealing bikes. Easy to justify.

In contrast, there is no evidence of a concerted plan to specifically disrupt multiple endurance running or triathlon events. 

2013-05-02 10:38 AM

User image

Pro
lisac957 - 2013-05-02 11:15 AM

The bikes are in a contained area. It is relatively easy to implement security that protects the bikes and keeps unauthorized people from entering. These measures have little to no impact on people who are racing or spectating.

Boston had quite impressive security. They were set up for everything from crowd control to a nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons decontamination tent. A couple of students with backpacks pretending to be spectators caused this mayhem. Without adopting draconian limits on liberty, you live with an acceptable level of risk.

2013-05-02 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4724005

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-05-02 10:38 AM

The bikes are in a contained area. It is relatively easy to implement security that protects the bikes and keeps unauthorized people from entering. These measures have little to no impact on people who are racing or spectating.

Boston had quite impressive security. They were set up for everything from crowd control to a nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons decontamination tent. A couple of students with backpacks pretending to be spectators caused this mayhem. Without adopting draconian limits on liberty, you live with an acceptable level of risk.

I agree. But I also don't think a clear check bag takes away anyone's liberties.

2013-05-02 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4724012

User image

lisac957 - 2013-05-02 4:40 PM

I agree. But I also don't think a clear check bag takes away anyone's liberties.

They symbolise fear and do nothing to reduce the risk.

2013-05-02 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4723971

User image

Pro
lisac957 - 2013-05-02 10:26 AM
Left Brain - 2013-05-02 10:22 AM

Apples and oranges....there are no simple measures to stop terrorism....that's why it works.  So you ban bags....and then the moron with a bomb strapped to his body walks in and blows himself up....now what?  Ban Jackets that could hide a bomb?  So you do, and some jerk tosses a grenade into a crowd before he ever gets to a checkpoint, now what? 

There will be more bombings.  There will be more terrorism.  There should not be less freedom.

2013-05-02 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4724031

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Dan-L - 2013-05-02 10:46 AM

Quite an interesting perspective. 
Whatever any of us believes, unless we are the race director and chose to use the old bags, or eliminate security, or what not, we're all going to have to deal with it and make our decisions accordingly. That's all I was trying to say.

2013-05-02 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4724042

User image

lisac957 - 2013-05-02 4:52 PM
Dan-L - 2013-05-02 10:46 AM

Quite an interesting perspective. 
Whatever any of us believes, unless we are the race director and chose to use the old bags, or eliminate security, or what not, we're all going to have to deal with it and make our decisions accordingly. That's all I was trying to say.

I'm not trying to have a go at you Lisa, like I said, we're on the same side. We do have to deal with it.  The facts are we are lucky enough to live in the safest and most privilleged time and places in the whole history of the world.  We've all studied and worked hard to be able to do so and I'm not going to let a few freaks undermine that existence and state of mind.

They might blow me up tomorrow and do you know what.  I don't care.  They don't have exlusivity on need being unafraid of death but I'm not using that to strike fear into others, I'm using it to defend myself against it.  Every second I spend on this earth will be on my terms, not theirs.  And that's why this lot, the last lot or the next lot will never win.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » post-Boston security Rss Feed  

of 2