of 3

2013-05-09 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4735465

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Vacation Help Needed Please
Bcozican - 2013-05-09 3:10 PM

South of France - you have Medieval architecture and history in places such as Avignon ( old Papal palace), walled city etc, Roman sites like the Pont Du Gard from 50BC, gladiator arenas and other historic places around Arles.Nice etc...a great Medieval castle at Beaux De Provence. That should cover the historic side - the riding would be awesome - vinyards, rolling hills etc...hiking to i suspect.

Then you are 45 mins from the beach if you want to spend time there - not to mention it has all the culinary delights you would wish for and as many quaint historic villages you an handle...

Fly to Avignon and drive from there...we stayed 2 weeks.....plenty of great VBRO places run by Ex-pats

We have traveled Europe extensively and this is our favorite place

We have been to Spain - Costa Del Sol is fine but a little commercialized and less historic

Hiking in the hills above Marseilles is beautiful. Wild lavender and rosemary grows everywhere, so as you walk, you smell it in the air. Trois Marie's de la Mer is a quaint little seaside town near Arles in the Camargue which is this huge national wildlife preserve with flamingoes and wild horses.

2013-05-09 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4735749

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hot Runner - 2013-05-09 6:55 PM

Hot Runner is awake now!  You're always welcome to visit (and even stay with me, if you like kitties!) but October isn't the best time weather-wise. It's still rainy season, though not quite as obnoxiously humid as "summer". You can expect pretty much a daily thunderstorm followed by a few hours of showers, usually late afternoon or evening. Things dry out a bit in November but don't expect dry days or anything remotely "cool" until late Nov. or early December. Central Vietnam (Danang, Hue, Hoi An) is much worse, with erratic weather and typhoons. Worst time for the beach. The north should be good, though. My mom and I did a cool bike tour a few years ago from Sapa to Dien Bien Phu in the north....in July. Definitely easier at a drier time.

Actually, when I saw October, I immediately thought Himalayas. Late fall's the best time for trekking--not too cold yet, higher passes still open, rainy season over. It's a great frustration of mine that my job keeps me from trekking at that time. Nine days is a little short, but if you did a shorter trek that doesn't go super high, you should be okay. Nepal is cheap with loads of treks and some MTB tours. Bhutan may put you over budget but the fee there is set...no surprises, and very worth it. Tibet itself is kind of a pain in the butt with complicated permits and restrictions that change without notice, plus a somewhat diluted culture, but there are neighboring areas of China (Yunnan, Sichuan) that have excellent trekking. A good resource for the latter is Wild China, or the locally based and Tibetan-run Khampa Caravans, in Zhondgian ("Shangri-La") in Yunnan Province.

Finally, my favorite spot in Europe, Bolzano and surrounding areas in northern Italy. You can't go wrong there. Nice small city; amazing hiking ranging from day hikes thru gentle hills to brutal multi-day treks with via ferrata, endless miles of bike trails and quiet roads, amazing food and wine. For biking, you can just ask at the train station or one of the Sportler outlets and they can provide maps. You can rent city cruisers, MTB's, and roadies. On our last visit, we liberated the free city bikes and rode them to Verona, then took them back on the train. In my next life, I plan to be a resident.

Happy trip planning!

Thanks!

I'll look into all of that. Not sure we want to do a lot of hiking though. I was think maybe a day or two of it. For a couple of hours.

Thanks again for your reply! I appreciate it!

2013-05-09 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4735733

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
jeng - 2013-05-09 6:44 PM

My SO and I are planning a late September/October trip to Japan! We're thinking 3 weeks and going on a bike tour similar to our bike tour around France year. My blog post is here. We haven't actually decided exactly where in Japan we will go, but Okinawa is a strong possibility.

Three weeks? Lucky!

2013-05-09 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4735465

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Bcozican - 2013-05-09 3:10 PM

South of France - you have Medieval architecture and history in places such as Avignon ( old Papal palace), walled city etc, Roman sites like the Pont Du Gard from 50BC, gladiator arenas and other historic places around Arles.Nice etc...a great Medieval castle at Beaux De Provence. That should cover the historic side - the riding would be awesome - vinyards, rolling hills etc...hiking to i suspect.

Then you are 45 mins from the beach if you want to spend time there - not to mention it has all the culinary delights you would wish for and as many quaint historic villages you an handle...

Fly to Avignon and drive from there...we stayed 2 weeks.....plenty of great VBRO places run by Ex-pats

We have traveled Europe extensively and this is our favorite place

We have been to Spain - Costa Del Sol is fine but a little commercialized and less historic

Sounds nice! I'll do some research!

Thanks so much!

2013-05-09 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4735419

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hoos - 2013-05-09 2:53 PM

How about Ecuador?   Easy to get to from Dallas -- quite cheap -- and lots of outdoorsy stuff to do (hiking, mountain biking, etc.)    Plus, you can spend part of the time in the Galapagos if you like animals -- fantastic experience.  

Sounds interesting too! I'll look it up!

Thanks!!!

2013-05-10 12:56 AM
in reply to: #4735090

User image

Elite
Reno
I spent 18 days in Thailand, and it was AWESOME. But - I would think a 9 days would not be long enough considering the long flights. It would eat up a lot of your limited time. Being in Houston, you should have access to lots of direct flights to the Caribbean or Central America.

2013-05-10 3:31 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

Since you were originally considering Mallorca you may want to shift slightly to the left and consider Southern Spain. The weather is still decent in Oct (the probability of rain is very low), and its relatively cheap so you'll leave with money left over for the next trip. You can combine biking and hiking with some touristy stuff like Cadiz, Granada, Sevilla, Ronda, Marbella (beaches), and there's tons of good golf courses down there if you're into that.

Happy Travels....

2013-05-10 3:33 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Kept thinking about it on the way to work. Late fall is a great time for points a little further west in SE Asia as dry season tends to start earlier and be a bit cooler, esp. morning and evening. For a short trip, maybe the area in and around Luang Prabang in Laos. Direct flight from Bangkok, great deals on accomodation and food, lots of active day trips available--hikes, bike rides on and off road, kayaking. Plus just a neat place to explore and hang out.  I have done lots of shorter trips with Green Discovery; five-day ride from Luang to Vientiane with Grasshopper Adventures. Just a really friendly, laid back place.  Could be combined with a short trip to Vientiane coming or going--some cool markets and great restaurants there. Or maybe with Angkor Wat in Cambodia. (Plus there's a HM, 10K and bike rally there in early December.....)

2013-05-10 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

a lot of great suggestions here but I cannot say enough about...Ecuadore. I spent over a month there in college and want to go back with every once of my being. They speak spanish and quichua (sp? - the native tongue) but their currency is the US dollar which makes buying things easier. they have a great coastline, fantastic mountains, interesting biological habitats to observe or you can spend time in the amazon rainforest, all in the same little country. Or hit the Galapagos for a really fantastic experience.

My wife like Honduras but I do not know much about it other than the pictures of the ruins she visited and the beach she went too.

2013-05-10 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4736523

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
bel83 - 2013-05-10 10:45 AM

a lot of great suggestions here but I cannot say enough about...Ecuadore. I spent over a month there in college and want to go back with every once of my being. They speak spanish and quichua (sp? - the native tongue) but their currency is the US dollar which makes buying things easier. they have a great coastline, fantastic mountains, interesting biological habitats to observe or you can spend time in the amazon rainforest, all in the same little country. Or hit the Galapagos for a really fantastic experience.

My wife like Honduras but I do not know much about it other than the pictures of the ruins she visited and the beach she went too.

Honduras is awesome too (been there 3 times) but I really think Belize had a lot more to offer as far as variety of activities. Since you brought up language - the native language of Belize is English. There was less Spanish spoken / written there then we have here in Houston!
2013-05-10 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

My favorite vacation was Turkey. My wfie and I went there in Nov. 2001 on a spur of the moment (decided to go on Friday, left on Saturday).  

Istanbul is lovely and incedible if you like history and culture (Greek, Roman, Byzentine, Ottoman). Then you go accross the Bosphorous and you're in Asia minor - we loved the Cappadocia region. Beautiful location and friendly people. Then we spent a few days on the Medditerrnian.  Its cool enough in October to bike around.

2013-05-10 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4736920

User image

Extreme Veteran
erin116 - 2013-05-10 12:12 PM

Honduras is awesome too (been there 3 times) but I really think Belize had a lot more to offer as far as variety of activities. Since you brought up language - the native language of Belize is English. There was less Spanish spoken / written there then we have here in Houston!

Hmm...I might take a look at Belize. That could be a fun place though it would be hard to win my heart back from Ecuador. granted I do live in the pacific Northwest it is easy for me to go from mountains to rainforest to ocean to rivers and lakes without driving more than 2 hours from my front door. I might be a little spoiled.

2013-05-11 7:49 AM

Master
Houston, TX
We're doing Istanbul/Rome/Florence this year. Ours will be very touristy though because I LOVE roman history, but there are a ton of things to do in Rome and Italy in general.

However, based on your criteria, the first thing that came to my mind was Croatia. Plitvice and Dubrovnik specifically. You can get bike tours between the two with caving, kayaking, hiking along the way.
2013-05-11 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If you have any interest in bike tours, you might want to check out the Bike Tours Direct site. It's a clearinghouse for a lot of locally based European bike tour companies. They range from really leisurely (some are even based in one place, so you don't have to ride every day if you don't want to) to very challenging, and vary in length. Most have a self-guided option. Late fall might be a nice time for parts of Italy--summer can be really hot, unless you're used to Vietnamese weather!
2013-05-14 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4736982

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
mgalanter - 2013-05-10 2:51 PM

My favorite vacation was Turkey. My wfie and I went there in Nov. 2001 on a spur of the moment (decided to go on Friday, left on Saturday).  

Istanbul is lovely and incedible if you like history and culture (Greek, Roman, Byzentine, Ottoman). Then you go accross the Bosphorous and you're in Asia minor - we loved the Cappadocia region. Beautiful location and friendly people. Then we spent a few days on the Medditerrnian.  Its cool enough in October to bike around.

I met someone from Turkey this weekend! She was showing us pictures and it looked really beautiful!

2013-05-14 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4737625

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hot Runner - 2013-05-11 8:02 AM

If you have any interest in bike tours, you might want to check out the Bike Tours Direct site. It's a clearinghouse for a lot of locally based European bike tour companies. They range from really leisurely (some are even based in one place, so you don't have to ride every day if you don't want to) to very challenging, and vary in length. Most have a self-guided option. Late fall might be a nice time for parts of Italy--summer can be really hot, unless you're used to Vietnamese weather!

Thanks! Yeah, right now we don't want to bike THAT much on vacation. One day, fine. Any more than that, and the vacation has turned into work. Ha!

2013-05-14 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4737618

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
jgaither - 2013-05-11 7:49 AM

We're doing Istanbul/Rome/Florence this year. Ours will be very touristy though because I LOVE roman history, but there are a ton of things to do in Rome and Italy in general.

However, based on your criteria, the first thing that came to my mind was Croatia. Plitvice and Dubrovnik specifically. You can get bike tours between the two with caving, kayaking, hiking along the way.

I looked up Croatia too. It looked pretty. For some reason I ruled it out. Maybe due to the weather? I can't recall.

2013-05-14 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4736523

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

I looked it up... and ruled it out for some reason. That might have been another weather one. Not sure. I'll look into it again!

2013-05-14 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In that case I stand by Bolzano and Luang Prabang. Both have some super one-day rides/hikes/kayak (LP only) if you need to burn off some energy, but are great places to just stroll around or pretty much do nothing, with outstanding food as well. (This advice has been EXTENSIVELY tested. I think I've been to each four or five times!) There is also a beautiful area outside Bolzano called the Val de Gardena....scenery to die for and, with the right person, probably very romantic.
2013-05-14 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4741594

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hot Runner - 2013-05-14 9:32 AM

In that case I stand by Bolzano and Luang Prabang. Both have some super one-day rides/hikes/kayak (LP only) if you need to burn off some energy, but are great places to just stroll around or pretty much do nothing, with outstanding food as well. (This advice has been EXTENSIVELY tested. I think I've been to each four or five times!) There is also a beautiful area outside Bolzano called the Val de Gardena....scenery to die for and, with the right person, probably very romantic.

Interesting... so what is there to see and do? Sounds beautiful though!

And, while you probably never use one, do you know of reputable tour companies around the globe?

2013-05-14 7:14 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Bolzano: several castles in the immediate vicinity, architecture, great open-air market, outdoor cafes, take a bus up to "Uberbolzano" for day hiking through the alp (plus farm-style places with local products for lunch), "Weinstrasse"--a loop of about 100 km through vineyards with lots of tasting rooms and little restaurants. You can take a bus tour of it, rent a car, or (we did this) bike it. Rather wobbly by the end, though. Lots of day rides--there's a bike trail thru the (Po?) river valley and one that drops into the valley from the mountain region above town--you can take the train out in AM and ride back. Plus Osti the ice mummy, if you're into that, in the provincial museum. Val de Gardena is famous for Ladin culture and wood carving, plus a great walking path thru the valley.

Luang Prabang: World Heritage site. Lots of beautiful temples and French colonial architecture. Great restaurants and coffeehouses. Great town for morning and evening walks and photography, watching sunsets on the rivers (Mekong and Nam Khan) over a BeerLao. Huge night market. It's a very laid-back place--you can do nothing for a long time there.

As for tour companies, I rarely do organized tours, except for bike tours. I have used local agencies for adventure-type day trips. In Bolzano, we did a DIY bike tour--there are lots of places with maps. In Luang, I've done most of my day trips with Green Discovery. Exotissimo has a good reputation for high-end cultural tours in SE Asia--I did my Myanmar and Bhutan trips with them owing to restrictions on independent travel and was very happy with them.

2013-05-16 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4742664

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hot Runner - 2013-05-14 7:14 PM

Bolzano: several castles in the immediate vicinity, architecture, great open-air market, outdoor cafes, take a bus up to "Uberbolzano" for day hiking through the alp (plus farm-style places with local products for lunch), "Weinstrasse"--a loop of about 100 km through vineyards with lots of tasting rooms and little restaurants. You can take a bus tour of it, rent a car, or (we did this) bike it. Rather wobbly by the end, though. Lots of day rides--there's a bike trail thru the (Po?) river valley and one that drops into the valley from the mountain region above town--you can take the train out in AM and ride back. Plus Osti the ice mummy, if you're into that, in the provincial museum. Val de Gardena is famous for Ladin culture and wood carving, plus a great walking path thru the valley.

Luang Prabang: World Heritage site. Lots of beautiful temples and French colonial architecture. Great restaurants and coffeehouses. Great town for morning and evening walks and photography, watching sunsets on the rivers (Mekong and Nam Khan) over a BeerLao. Huge night market. It's a very laid-back place--you can do nothing for a long time there.

As for tour companies, I rarely do organized tours, except for bike tours. I have used local agencies for adventure-type day trips. In Bolzano, we did a DIY bike tour--there are lots of places with maps. In Luang, I've done most of my day trips with Green Discovery. Exotissimo has a good reputation for high-end cultural tours in SE Asia--I did my Myanmar and Bhutan trips with them owing to restrictions on independent travel and was very happy with them.

Thanks for the details! I'll start doing some research on it! Looks beautiful!

I think an organized tour would be easy, but I'm thinking I'll probably just need to create my own.
2013-05-24 8:47 AM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by jeng My SO and I are planning a late September/October trip to Japan! We're thinking 3 weeks and going on a bike tour similar to our bike tour around France year. My blog post is here. We haven't actually decided exactly where in Japan we will go, but Okinawa is a strong possibility.

Some great roads in Oki; Head out on Hwy 58 to Hwy 2 for a very nice ride! The further south you go the more congested it is... The Northern section is AWESOME!!!

2013-05-24 10:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran

So… Belize report.

Great trip! Easy flight and water taxi to Caye Caulker I would defiantly go out to one of the Cayes. Rented a small “cottage” but did not spend much time there so… Very comfy! All the basics; Bed, Shower and AC at night. You also get a Bike to ride the Island just be careful… "GO SLO MAN"

We swam with Turtles (Green and a Loggerhead), Nurse sharks and TARPON!!!

(Free; OWS Free no pet fish or Turtles here.)

Decided to go on a “jungle” ATV tour (was kinda lame jungle wise but fun ATV wise) then cave tubing which was kinda cool but only because we had only 4 peps in our group. Check to see if a Cruise ship is in and schedule around if you decide to go... You could also do a Zip line but we did not.

Lots of fishing if you like that and lots of OWS (snorkeling). We then took a 3 day sail tour with Ragamuffin which was fun fish, snorkel, rum punch, camp on a deserted island and that was just the first day… Unfortunately there was little wind so we had to use the motor for the best part of the second day but still relaxing, the girls read and tanned, I fished with some of the other peps on the boat. Several stops for swimming and snorkeling pretty much free roam not a “guided” snorkle trip more like we will be here for 1.5 hours you can swim snorkel jump of the top of the boat and we will have lunch for you when you return…

Stops on the trip included Rendezvous Caye (only a single caretaker lives here) You camp under a Thatched roof cabana (sleep on the sun tan chairs out under the stars it is amazing!!! 

FYI, very dark so enjoy your SO… Just saying. (It is Rendezvous Cay after all… )

Sergeants Cay is basically a sandbar in the middle of the Caribbean Sea swim to it and frolic for a bit then lunch to finish at Tobacco Caye.

Tobacco Caye is civilization! Showers and an open air Cabana Bar with live “Native” music which is a mix of Reggae, African drum beats with a Creole flair. Quite enjoyable.

You will feast on fresh fruit and the fish you catch or Spear; I went spear fishing two days in a row and BE WARNED the water is DEEPER than you think. Shot a fish and when it “swam” to the bottom it was 40-50 feet DEEP! I haven’t dove that DEEP in 30 years!!! But I made it got the fish and made it back to the top!

Third day on the boat had Dolphins with us for a time which was very cool and even watched as the mommy was teaching the baby to swim and hunt pretty freking cool!

The Whale Sharks are in Belize this week (with the full moon) so we missed them by a week or so but a few had shown up early and one of the boats in front of us had one swim right under it! Great pictures!

Spent 1 ½ days in Placentia at the Laura Beya (check Groupon for Roberts Grove or Turtle Inn) then flew back to Belize City to catch our flight home.

Not a big fan of the mainland but the Cayes are perfect.

It is HOT and HUMID and some bugs but overall was a fun trip. If you want more EXCITEMENT I have contacts that will custom design your trip and would even take you inland for two days of climbing which I was told is VERY adventurous!!!  

More pics to come…

Edited by 1_Mad_Madone 2013-05-24 10:15 AM

(New Image.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
New Image.JPG (39KB - 16 downloads)
2013-05-24 10:16 AM
in reply to: 1_Mad_Madone

User image

Veteran

(photo2.JPG)