General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this is a bad idea, Sprint Tri with minimal prep? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-13 4:58 PM

Subject: Is this is a bad idea, Sprint Tri with minimal prep?

I am considering doing this sprint tri:

http://www.issaquahtri.com/

It will be my first tri event. I am in ok shape. I go to cross fit 2 to 3 times a week. The farthest I have run is a 5k. I did a 5k last summer and I did a 5k week ago at 29:37. I have done quite a few bike loaded tours in the past with 100 mile days. I have been cycling for a long time (12 years) so the bike is not an issue. I feel like the run is no problem. The thing I am worried about is the swim. 

Estimated water temp is 61, should I be wearing a suit for this? If I go to the gym twice a week and swim for 30 minutes is that enough prep? Anything else I should be aware of or concerned about?

I am not interested in my time, just want to finish the race.

2013-05-13 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4740615

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Subject: RE: Is this is a bad idea, Sprint Tri with minimal prep?

Anyone can do a sprint unless there's something obvious preventing it: massively obese, severe injury etc.

You'll be fine.

2013-05-13 5:10 PM

New user

If you feel you can safely complete the swim I say go for it!

If you're in decent shape and feel like you can finish, then you probably can. You can always take it easy on the bike and walk a little on the run (I know I did for my first tri) but the swim you can't really stop. You can backstroke or breaststroke for a while though.

For 61 degrees you will probably want a wet suit.

2013-05-13 5:49 PM

User image

As mentioned above, if you can swim the distance, you should be fine.  Just don't underestimate it.

When I first decided I wanted to do a triathlon, I just assumed I would go to the YMCA, jump in the pool, and do a 10 lap (500 yard) warm up.  Boy was I suprised when I barely could make it 25 yards without hanging on to the wall for dear life.  This was right before I ran a sub 4 hour marathon, so I figured I was in pretty decent shape.

Swimming is more about technique and relaxing than brute fitness.

2013-05-13 6:00 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
From a physical standpoint, I think a sprint triathlon isn't much more difficult than say, a 10k run.  If your only goal is to finish, then you should be fine.  That said, you might think a bit more about why you want to do a triathlon and why this triathlon in particular?  If there's a good reason that it has to be now, then go for it.  Otherwise, you may find that you get more out of the experience by fully training and preparing.  Kind of a "It's the journey, not the destination" philosophy, but I think a lot of people feel that way about triathlons.  Preparing for the event is almost as much fun as actually doing it.
2013-05-13 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I don't see anything that should hold you back if you're comfortable with the swim.

61 degrees is pretty chilly. I wouldn't want to swim in water that cold without a wetsuit. The suit will also make you faster and more buoyant, so theres no reason you wouldn't want to wear one. A rental is usually around $50 for a week, which will give you enough time to swim in it once to practice before race day.

2013-05-13 7:41 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Can you swim?
2013-05-13 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4740814

Veteran
Tennessee
trishie - 2013-05-13 7:41 PMCan you swim?
This is the main question. And by swim she means more than not drowning.
2013-05-13 8:18 PM

User image

I did my first sprint with virtually no training. I sucked and finished in 2hrs.  The reason I did this was to see if triathlon was something I would enjoy, and I did!  LOVED it.  Then I made the commitment to spend all the cash on the gear required.....
2013-05-14 8:26 AM

User image

If you're concerned, why don't you see if you can swim for 400 meters?  You said you have a pool, and while open water swimming isn't exactly the same, if you can swim 16 laps in the typical distance pool, then you can reasonably infer that you won't drown.  It kind of makes sense to practice how you want to race...

61 degrees is incredibly cold to someone like me who lives in the south, but I guess it's all relative.  I'd get a suit.

2013-05-14 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

61 degree water is COLD. Do not attempt without a wetsuit. Especially as air temps in the Pacific Northwest are not likely to be high either if it's a morning start. Last year I pulled out of a swim in supposedly 61 degree water, 39 degree air temps. I'm a very experienced swimmer, and had a full wetsuit. Just wasn't comfortable with it as I hadn't trained for those conditions, and became so chilled on a practice swim I couldn't handle transition or bike safely. Granted, I'm scrawny and a cold-water wimp, but still, 61 isn't warm.

The main issue is the swim. It sounds like you have great bike fitness, at least endurance, and a passable run. If you can comfortably swim the race distance in a pool, without a wetsuit, then go for it (but with a wetsuit in the race). Please don't depend on your wetsuit as a flotation device. You need to have a good level of comfort with the distance, open water, and the wetsuit prior to the race. If not, work on your swimming and choose another race when you are ready. 

2013-05-14 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4740679

User image

tri808 - 2013-05-13 5:49 PM

As mentioned above, if you can swim the distance, you should be fine.  Just don't underestimate it.

When I first decided I wanted to do a triathlon, I just assumed I would go to the YMCA, jump in the pool, and do a 10 lap (500 yard) warm up.  Boy was I suprised when I barely could make it 25 yards without hanging on to the wall for dear life.  This was right before I ran a sub 4 hour marathon, so I figured I was in pretty decent shape.

Swimming is more about technique and relaxing than brute fitness.

Does this happen to every runner?

I tried doing a long sprint without being completely ready for the swim.  I bailed on the swim though after a couple minutes.

2013-05-14 3:53 PM

User image

Huntsville, AL

Take a 400-500 yard practice swim or two at local indoor pool, and try an OWS with a buddy in a kayak/canoe before trying this for first time on race day.  Recommend wetsuit at that temp also.

at 61 degree water, you may want to get some silicone/wax earplugs (only about 2 bucks at Walmart). Reason is that below 65 degree, some people will experience some dizziness/disorientation from the cold water getting into the ear canal after a little while. It happened to  a few, including myself, in our tri-training club this spring while doing OWS training in 62 degree water.  No one has same problem once we all put in ear plugs.

Have a great time.  You'll always remember your first!

2013-05-14 4:08 PM

Master
, California
I live on that lake and have several wetsuits -- might be able to lend you one depending on your size -- drop me a pm if interested.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this is a bad idea, Sprint Tri with minimal prep? Rss Feed