General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group National Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT Age Group National Championships - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Missouri
United States
USAT
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 32s
Overall Rank = 145/441
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 29/59
Pre-race routine:

This was kind of different than normal because I was staying in a hotel, and the race was a later start than usual. It was nice to get a little extra sleep though, and I had gone to the grocery store to get some normal pre-race food, so it worked out well.
Event warmup:

They wouldn't let bikes out of transition once they were checked in, so we were only able to do a run and swim. Ran for about 20 minutes on the course with dynamic stretching warmups, then 4x20' at race effort. After that, got in the water for a quick ~300 meter swim.
Swim
  • 23m 43s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim felt really good. First open water swim for me where it was a no wetsuit rule. The start was a little tough, because the water didn't get more than shin deep for about 50-75 meters, so we were running, then dolphin diving before we could start swimming and settle in. It worked out well though, and I got settled into a rhythm quickly. Found a pretty sizeable group of swimmers going about the same pace and latched onto them. Goal was 23 minutes + 60 second run up the beach, my time was 23:42, so I beat goal. I was definitely happy with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Goal time was 60 seconds, so it was close. I need to practice running with the shoes clipped in, jumping on the bike, then getting up to speed while getting my feet in my shoes.

Practice transitions.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 19s
  • 25.2 miles
  • 22.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt solid on the bike. I was definitely holding back for the run, and started to get concerned toward the end that I held too much back, but overall I'm not disappointed with how this went. For my first Oly distance race though, I thought I paced well, pushed hard where I could, took it a little easier where the course was hard, and made good decisions. Knowing what I know now, I would have pushed a little harder, but I really have no regrets. Also, I wanted to get down 2 gels and 2 bottles on the bike. Got down 2 gels, 3/4's of one bottle of water, and 1/2 gatorade. Need to drink more in the future on the bike.

Goal time here was 1:05, and I went 1:06 and change. Considering the slightly long course, I was very close to goal time.

Push a little harder at certain spots on the course.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

I just need to move faster in T2. Goal was 30 seconds, I went 52. I had a little trouble racking my bike, but that doesn't account for 22 seconds. I just need practice.

Hurry my ass up.
Run
  • 44m 36s
  • 6.3 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This run felt surprisingly good. I took it easy the first two miles, going steadily low 7 minute pace but not pushing, then picked it up around 4, then tried to run the last couple HARD. The hills prevented me going too fast, but I ran as hard as I could for the last two miles. I was starting to crack by the end of the run, but it still felt good overall. The hills in the last two miles were just a bitch, and I would go so far as to say that this was a harder 10K than the BolderBoulder course, which is saying something at the end of a triathlon.

Goal time was 44:30, time was 44:36, and considering that the course was long by a tenth, I smoked this run.

Maybe push a little tiny bit harder at the beginning. I almost felt like I waited too long to start really going hard. Then again, maybe I would have totally melted down if I pushed harder, so what the hell.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, stretch, pound water and gatorade. Once again, NO FRUIT AT THE FINISH LINE!? What the hell, I can't eat a cheeseburger 10 minutes after the race is over.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills on the course.

Event comments:

Overall, I loved this race. Even though I was mid-pack in AG, it was awesome to see that much talent in one place and race with that group of people. And I felt like I belonged there, which is nice. Even though I was 16 minutes slower than the guy who won my AG, I put up a respectable time and had solid performances in all 3 events. In sum, no regrets, and a great learning experience.

There were a few assholes at the pre-race meeting, but in a group of that caliber and intensity, you're bound to have a few idiots taking themselves too seriously. From that angle, it could have been more fun, but the guys around me in transition were all chatting at the bike check in on Friday, and again on Saturday morning, so I think the jerks at the race were a pretty isolated and small group.

The course was hard. But I would expect that at Nationals and wasn't frustrated or disappointed. Plus, we knew the whole course before the race started, so there were no surprises going in.

Probably the best part of the race though was just getting there early, scoping the course and hanging out with the Dillards. Mark and Michelle took such good care of me when I got there. Mark and I rode the course on Thursday, then had dinner at their camper, then drank beers around the camp fire. Pretty much the same routine on Friday before the race. It was so nice to just relax and be away from the race hotel and all the freaky athletes stressing out. I'm now trying to talk Mark into taking the camper out somewhere next year to do a multi-day training camp. Anyway, thanks so much to Mark and his wife and kids, because they made the race very fun.

Last updated: 2006-03-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:43 | 1500 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/59
Overall: 0/441
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangle. Very easy sighting with 7 huge buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:19 | 25.2 miles | 22.80 mile/hr
The RD told us the course was 1/2 mile long. I had it in my computer as 25.2, so that's what I'm going with.
Wind: Little
Course: Very, very, very rolly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:44:36 | 06.3 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
RD told us the course was .1 long.
Course: Windy paved trail for the first 4, VERY hilly for the last couple.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-13 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: USAT Age Group National Championships

2006-07-13 10:32 AM
in reply to: #481473

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: USAT Age Group National Championships
Top 50% AG at Nationals in your first oly and 2nd year of training? Yeah, not too bad. Nice race! Now hurry your up in transition!
2006-07-13 12:15 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Yeah maybe top 50% in your age group but 152 overall!  It was great having you there!  You did awesome and I wish you were going to World's with me.  Next year the Nat's are somewhere in Oregon (Portland?)  And World's are in Hamburg Germany!
2006-07-16 9:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

Great race brother.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group National Championships Rss Feed