General Discussion Race Reports! » New York Tri/Duathlon Series #1 - Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New York Tri/Duathlon Series #1 - Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Harriman State Park , New York
United States
New York Triathon Club
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 32m 50s
Overall Rank = 24/170
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up not feeling like a racer. Yesterday was a long day, back was hurting and it was raining. I debated 1)switching to the road bike or 2) going back to bed. I did neither. I was a little scared of my race wheels for braking today. Last year and 2011, this race had a hairpin uturn at the bottom of a steep hill. Apparently, the RD was scared to because they changed the course to stay clear of that hill.
Event warmup:

Jogged for 5 min. Swam maybe 200 when we got to the water.
Swim
  • 17m 5s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nothing to exciting. I felt like I was navigating better than usual and felt steady but slow.
What would you do differently?:

Get faster. The second half of the swim I always get tangled up with breaststokers. I can swim free for the distance, just not fast enough to drop folks who take breaststroke breaks.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Wetsuit removal went fine. Then everything took to long. I wanted bike gloves and needed them this cold morning but getting them on my wet hands seemed to take forever.
Bike
  • 58m 10s
  • 17.85 miles
  • 18.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Eh. I was in a mood from the start. The rough road with steady crevices every 30 feet got me in a mood that I didn't shake till the turnaround. Lost my air rush pump. Bounced right out of the bento box. The lid on those things isnt made for offroading. If I saw where it went I would have pulled over to save the $40. Luckily, I didn't need it today. Also knocked the aero drink bottle loose. The zip ties held, but it bounced around loudly for the rest of the race.It smoothed out on Torcia rd. And things got better from there.

Push a little harder and work them hills. Most people who passed me did it on the up hills and the turns which I took slow and steady in the rain.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Same slowness changing. Toes were numb so I had to sit down and fiddle to get running shoes on.
Run
  • 13m 24s
  • 2.02 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Even though its short, I like this run. It has one hill that helps get rid of the rubber legs. All things considered this went well. Left ankle and shin hurt and I wanted to push some more, but all in all, not bad.

Nothin
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain and a poor attitude. When I got home and was ringing out wet muddy gear I was telling Eileen that my gear would be clean and dry if I had gone back to bed this morning. So she sarcastically replies "yeah, you'll have nice clean gear for the NEXT time you bail on a race cause you have sand in your crotch.." she always make me laugh when she puts it in perspective with some tough love.

I was pleasantly surprised to see I was 4th in AG. of course #3 had 5:08 on me in a sprint. 1:08 can be fixed in transition. The rest is swim/bike. Get training!

Event comments:

I really might wait till they repave 7 lakes drive before going back, or at least bring my more forgiving road bike. That Kestrel is STIFF.

Last updated: 2013-03-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:05 | 880 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 81/170
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Counterclockwise triangle in lake Welsh
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:58:10 | 17.85 miles | 18.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 26/170
Performance: Average
182 Watts average thanks to the hills, otherwise, wish i could push as hard as i do on the trainer. Not sure of HR.
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on some rollers with 2 climbs. Nothing crazy except for the very rough road for the 3 miles at the start and end. The crags are relentless.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:13:24 | 02.02 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 8/170
Performance: Good
157 BPM There is something wrong with the auto Calc on this page. Run pace was 6:42
Course: They shortened the run to 2 miles by dropping the out and back at the end. I'm glad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-05-19 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: New York Tri/Duathlon Series #1 - Triathlon

2013-05-20 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4748641

User image

Subject: RE: New York Tri/Duathlon Series #1 - Triathlon
Way to push through on what doesn't sound like a pleasant day. I hate the rain!
2013-05-20 5:44 PM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: New York Tri/Duathlon Series #1 - Triathlon
Great HTFU type race Bill! Just getting out there in those conditions says a lot! Nice job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York Tri/Duathlon Series #1 - Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New York Tri/Duathlon Series #1 - Triathlon

Started by bdenehy
Views: 1145 Posts: 4

2012-05-23 8:45 AM bdenehy

New York Tri/Duathlon Series #2 - Triathlon

Started by gary_a_gooner
Views: 644 Posts: 1

2011-08-15 9:35 AM gary_a_gooner

New York Tri/Duathlon Series #2 - Triathlon

Started by
Views: 373 Posts: 1

2011-08-15 9:33 AM

New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series #2 - Harriman Triathlon

Started by desertduck
Views: 1065 Posts: 1

2006-08-28 10:56 AM desertduck

New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series #2 - Harriman Duathlon

Started by desertduck
Views: 917 Posts: 1

2006-08-28 10:38 AM desertduck
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : July 31, 2006
author : Ontherun
This is NOT a diet book, but a weightloss book that has helped me change how I see food and the choices I make when I eat.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.