General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Altra instinct 1.5 vs. Newton distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-20 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: Altra instinct 1.5 vs. Newton distance
OK, I run in VFFs and Merrell barefoot trail gloves. Use the merrells for distance >15 miles due to some foot swelling. After about 20 miles, my feet start getting achy (this may be just the way it is and I need to HTFU). I'm looking for something with a little more cush for longer runs. I tried Hoka bondi Bs and it was an epic (and expensive) fail. Education ain't cheap.

To my question: Anybody got any ideas on Altra instinct 1.5 vs Newton distance for a minimalist runner looking for comfort after 20 miles? Or any other shoe suggestions for that matter.

2013-05-21 9:51 AM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: Altra instinct 1.5 vs. Newton distance
I have both, though once I started running in Altras I haven't used the newtons since they feel quite bizarre after wearing a flat shoe.

Couple thoughts, I found that Newtons on a trail feel incredibly unstable, there is only the lugs making contact with the ground. I tried running a non technical trail in mine and it made me super nervous for an ankle roll. I'm a natural mid/forefoot striker so spending the $$$ for Newtons to 'encourage' something I have always done was, to me, kinda pointless.

What I really like about the Altras is the toe box is really sweet-no pinched toes when your feet swell, there's plenty of space. They are not so cushioned that you can run sloppy late in a run but have enough to soften the blows. They are still a fairly hard shoe in the grand scheme of things, but I prefer a firm platform, even later in a long run/race.

I tried the Torins but found the extra cushion to be too much, my feet fought the shoes, my calves cramped and were super tight the next day. I imagine Hokas would be more extreme.

The last thing about the Altras is they come with 2 insoles, and I found that on days I just want a tiny bit more forgiveness I slip the 'strengthening' insole into the shoe under the regular one and that provides a nice bit of extra love for tired feet....and you can take it back out when you don't want it.

Order them direct from Altra or Roadrunner Sports or Running Warehouse so you can return them is they don't work. I made the mistake of buying the Torins from an LRS and after less then 10 miles knew they were a disaster and the LRS refused to exchange them even after reminded them that !ltra refunds stores for exchanges of their shoes within 30 days. Sad, but this is why I buy online when trying something new.
2013-05-21 11:54 AM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Expert
Broadlands
I don't know the Altra, but have another option for you.

Try the Merrell Mix Master 2. It's a great shoe, minimalist, but not quite barefoot. (4mm drop).
I use the MM2 for all my trail running, I've logged plenty of 20+ mile training runs in them, I've also raced for over 6 hours in them without issue.

I also have the Newton Distance for road running, also very good to race in, but I just don't get on with the Newton if the terrain gets any more unsteady than the smoothest road.

I know a lot of others use Newtons on trails as well as roads but I don't get on with them off road at all.

if you're looking for a distance road shoe, the Newton is excellent, if you're looking for a door to trail shoe, the MM2 is the option I'd recommend.

(that said I'm a running shoe junky so I'm off to check out the Altra :-) )
2013-05-27 7:39 AM
in reply to: dewybuck

Wendell, NC
Thanks Suzanne, ran 12 in the Altras yesterday and I think I've found my distance shoe. Now I've become a shoe snob. VFFs for short, Merrell gloves for mid, and Altras for long runs. My wife is appalled ;-)
2013-06-01 9:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Check out the SKORA Form as well. 13mm with a very high density outsole. On sale at The and skorarunning.com
I went from Vibrams to the Form's sister shoe Base and did my first 100 and 50 miler in that shoe.

Edited by ipull400watts 2013-06-01 9:04 AM

(Timothy McHattie 1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Timothy McHattie 1.JPG (188KB - 26 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Altra instinct 1.5 vs. Newton distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

50k vs 50 mile Pages: 1 2

Started by kstater39
Views: 5407 Posts: 29

2013-02-26 11:19 PM erodda

26.2 vs 50Km

Started by morey000
Views: 1936 Posts: 11

2012-04-15 11:44 PM morey000

ultra runner vs Ironman

Started by Jungle Jenn
Views: 1939 Posts: 3

2012-04-09 6:30 PM 1234run

Road Shoes VS Trail Shoes

Started by tribullbutter
Views: 3568 Posts: 15

2010-03-03 3:36 PM njk123

IRONMAN vs ULTRA Pages: 1 2

Started by SAWFISH50
Views: 8339 Posts: 30

2010-03-13 2:11 PM gymgirlx
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.