General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple-T Ohio - Race #3: Olympic PM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Triple-T Ohio - Race #3: Olympic PM - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portsmouth, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 40m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Once again, rode down the hill from the cabin and set up my TA. This race format is bike/swim/run. Hung out in the tent a bit before making our way to the TA area to get our bike stuff on. It was packed full of racers going off 3-4 at a time (again time trial start). We saw some teammates start before lining up (with Kevin and LC).
Event warmup:

No warm up. Was warm enough standing in the sun and waiting.
Swim
  • 28m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim time includes the few minutes it took us to walk to the swim start. Walked out to almost the second buoy laughing with LC about random things (Grease playing on the speakers being one of them) . Uneventful swim otherwise. Just went easy and tried not to cramp as I had heard horror stories.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster
Transition 1
  • 05m 4s
Comments:

T1 is bike to swim transition. Put grocery bags on my feet so my wetsuit would slip on. Didn't have issues getting it on, but it was a long walk to the swim start (which we walked...didn't run).

Could have hurried, but we were not out there for any speed records, but to finish the weekend and have fun.
Bike
  • 1h 42m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.54 mile/hr
Comments:

LC and I were teammates which meant we could draft off each other for the second Oly and the HIM. She is a stronger biker than me and I tried to stay with her to start, but knew I was overextending myself. I dialed it back and she would soft pedal letting me catch up. We did take some turns pulling which was nice, but having the company out there was almost better than the ability to draft (more on that during the HIM). We hit the turn around and were making our way back to the race site. The skies looked dark and it then started thundering and down pouring as we started the climb. Rained for nearly the rest of the ride (really hard at times). As we were closer to the TA, the sun came out and it was really warm (and didn't rain at the TA). Ended the bike in very good spirits.
Transition 2
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

T2 was swim to run transition

Off with the wetuit (no issues) and put on socks and my trail Newtons. As we were getting out of the water (got out with LC and Kim - not planned), LC mentioned she had major cramps in her quads. She took some time to massage and stretch them before we got out on the run.
Run
  • 1h 19m 27s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 04m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Similar to the morning Oly, goal was to run the flatish sections (the few there were) and walk the uphills. Saw our teammates coming back in to finish.

Maybe could have run more, but we knew we had a HIM the next morning.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the freezing cold creek which felt so nice.
Once again, rode back up the hill to the cabin.

Last updated: 2013-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:30 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Same course as Oly#1
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:04
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:42:33 | 24.85 miles | 14.54 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Different course than the Oly#1 from the AM. Was an out and back with about a 1.5 mile climb on the way back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:19:27 | 06.55 miles | 04m 57s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Same course as Oly#1
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-05-21 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: American Triple-T Ohio - Race #3: Olympic PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple-T Ohio - Race #3: Olympic PM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

American Triple-T Ohio - Race #3: Olympic PM

Started by BooTri
Views: 893 Posts: 1

2012-06-05 1:03 PM BooTri

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 899 Posts: 1

2012-05-30 11:37 AM SEADOCHA

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 1014 Posts: 1

2012-05-29 7:28 AM Birkierunner

American Triple T - Race #3 PM: Olympic

Started by yeats
Views: 1183 Posts: 1

2010-06-01 12:45 PM yeats

American Triple T - Race #3 PM: Olympic

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 1313 Posts: 1

2010-06-01 10:43 AM Birkierunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : April 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 40
Triathletes want more! Instead of a double or triple Ironman, how about a fourth sport?

date : September 3, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
My goal is always to lead by example, and after running the marathon and becoming a volunteer in my hospital's cardiac unit I looked for another way to inspire people. Hello, triathlons!
date : July 30, 2006
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : July 2, 2006
From triple bypass to triathlon. I am now just two days away from the Pacific Crest Half-Ironman.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...