Fargo Marathon
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 45m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Wake up and slap my face a few times since the prior nights rest was less than adequate. Take a cold shower. Enjoy some PB on toast a banana and gatorade. Sip on water the next 2 hours prior to race.
Event warmup:

Some push ups and squats. Then all sorts of stretching.
Run
  • 1h 45m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first half marathon and i dedicated a lot of time to training to make sure I would not injure myself and I could also finish strongly. My goal pace was to finish in 1:59. I was training a lot at faster paces so felt comfortable race day picking it up to 1:55. I started next to the 1:55 pacer. He was giving advice to other first timers about pacing yourself and not going to fast too soon. Point taken. I ran slightly in front of the pacer for the first 3.5 miles. Everyone else with that goal pace was behind him and it was clustered, meanwhile I thought it was a good idea to be 100 feet ahead of him and in no traffic. This seemed to work well for 3 miles until people started spreading out more. About mile 3.5 I had my first obstacle. Much like Forest Gump after drinking too many Dr Peppers, I had to pee. No big deal as there were ample pit stops a long the way. I saw my opening with a green light and took it. It added maybe 30 seconds to the run, which i first thought was no big deal, but after seeing my finishing time it would be the 30 seconds that put me over the 1:45 mark. After the pit stop I picked up my pace and was quickly back with the 1:55 crowd. About mile 4.5 I decided to pick it up and started running 2 consecutive miles at 8:10 per. I passed my cheering section and was feeling great at mile 7.5-8. I was well hydrated and had consumed roughly 10 oz water/powerade to this point. The gu station was at mile 8 and I grabbed one and slammed another 4 ounces of water. I felt awesome so I decided to make my finish strong. I do not remember my times for the last 5 miles but I felt great and was on cruise control. somewhere in the 7:20-7:30 pace. About mile 10-11 I noticed a lot of people hitting their limits and starting to walk. This gave me confidence and it made me feel stronger and faster. At mile 10 I knew 1:45 was in reach if I kept up my sub 7:30 pace. I kept going and finished really strong. The race data says only 1 person passed me. I passed a lot of people i the last 4-5 miles. Awesome race.
What would you do differently?:

I should have passed on the last few sips of water before the race to avoid my pit stop but was nervous about dehydration. I underestimated my own abilities and started too slow. If I would have started just 10 seconds per mile faster the first half I would have fininshed in a better time and still had the energy to finish hard. It was my first race so experience will teach me pacing and what i am capable of in the future.

my longest run up to training was 12 miles. I should have had a few more long distance runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked in the dome for a few mins and sipped some water. Then stretched and grabbed a banana cookie dough pizza and something else. Watched a few finishers from the top of the mich truck while enjoying a cold post race beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My start. I could have come out of the gate faster and improved overall. I just wasn't totally comfortable going that fast right away. My second half was flawless. I could have run the first half a bit faster and still had enerygy to finish strong.

Event comments:

My first half marathon so I cannot compare it to anything, but i thought it was well organized and well supported. It made you feel like a big time runner at the finish line. Awesome event, I plan to do it in years to follow.

Last updated: 2013-05-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:27 | 13.1 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
i think it was a 8:03 pace.......
Course: Flat Flat and Flat. Most residential streets with a good amount of domed streets. Some puddles due to the previous nights rain and drizzle during race start
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-21 6:29 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Fargo Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fargo Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fargo Half Marathon

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 806 Posts: 2

2012-05-19 5:04 PM mmez

Fargo Half Marathon

Started by bad91
Views: 830 Posts: 1

2011-05-22 3:20 PM bad91

Fargo Half Marathon

Started by velveeta
Views: 1183 Posts: 2

2008-05-17 2:49 PM PinkLeopard

Fargo Marathon/Half Marathon

Started by Noz
Views: 1417 Posts: 5

2007-05-21 9:08 PM sparco

Fargo Half Marathon

Started by benihana
Views: 1492 Posts: 10

2007-05-21 8:04 PM sparco
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.