General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MOP Sprint to Sub-10 First IM! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-24 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
Subject: MOP Sprint to Sub-10 First IM!
Just wanted to share my excitement about what is possible with focus and dedication.

4 years ago, I was in very good shape, swimming and running most days of the week and playing sports such as basketball and soccer on the other days. I swam around 1:45/100m, biked 16.2 mph on my new (cheap) road bike, and ran around 8:00/mi for my first sprint triathlon. It was good enough for MOP in a small triathlon in Oklahoma.

My first Olympic distance race took 3:13 and I barely finished. But, as always, I never gave up and I never stopped moving.

This mentality took me past the point I thought it was possible to suffer around halfway thru the run last weekend at Ironman Texas. And somehow I kept moving. Somehow, I made it to the finish. And incredibly, somehow hit one of my lifetime goals to go sub-10 in an Ironman. My swim speed and run speed haven't changed much since that first triathlon, but the bike speed certainly did! Easily the most incredible experience of my life. With the tough conditions, I made it onto my first WTC podium!

Three years ago, I still remember the look I got when I said I thought I could go sub-10 someday for an Ironman after I had just finished my first half on a fast course in 5:07 with having the most perfect race possible. And I still remember the comments I received just last year when I said I thought I could do it when my HIM PR was still only a 4:43 (on a very fast course).

Anything is possible! Believe it! Achieve it!

2013-05-24 12:54 PM
in reply to: golfer17

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: MOP Sprint to Sub-10 First IM!
Awesome work, man! All of those times are impressive, especially that sub 10:00!

Congratulations!
2013-05-24 1:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Congratulations! Great job.
2013-05-24 1:50 PM

User image

Wow, that's a great time and a cool story. I love that you are putting yourself out there. No fear. Gigantic gains on the bike, would you mind sharing a little about your method for improvement?
2013-05-26 12:55 PM
in reply to: johnyutah5

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
Originally posted by johnyutah5

Wow, that's a great time and a cool story. I love that you are putting yourself out there. No fear. Gigantic gains on the bike, would you mind sharing a little about your method for improvement?

There were also gigantic gains on the run too, it was just really tough to run in that heat! Going to need work on my swim stroke though, as even though I have also made big swim gains, they are not anywhere near where they should be for the volume I put in.

I have quite a different approach to training than most. Though I still create a rough plan of what I want to do and how much work I want to do in each specific energy zone during a build and I do utilize periodization, that is where the similarities end to a normal training schedule. My workouts are not actually created until that specific day, and it creates a situation where my training plan is constantly morphing to fit what my body can do each day in order to try to get the most out of every workout and every training block.

My racing is similar. I have a rough plan, and I used my powermeter and heart rate monitor for input, but from there, I go completely by feel with regards for pacing and nutrition (and I touch more on this in my last couple of blog posts), and my race/nutrition strategy takes on a mind of its own throughout the race.

Basically, I am a big believer in that training and racing plans are more art than science (though still rooted very firmly in science) and to truly race and train to your potential, it's very important to get in tune with your body so that you can make these day to day and raceday changes as necessary.
2013-05-26 1:13 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Wow!! that's an AMAZING time! congratulations ! Cool

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MOP Sprint to Sub-10 First IM! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Stomach bug 10 days before first 1/2 IM

Started by PantherPhan
Views: 1200 Posts: 7

2012-10-10 8:25 PM PantherPhan

BT KQers and/or Sub 10 hours

Started by Jorgito22
Views: 1065 Posts: 4

2012-10-08 5:47 PM wiky

10 sprints in 10 weeks for a newbie?

Started by jezzieswims
Views: 1386 Posts: 21

2009-06-23 7:13 PM dharris13

10 days to First Tri - Sprint

Started by tri_flyer
Views: 741 Posts: 4

2005-07-07 3:44 PM tri_flyer

Finally a sub 10 minute mile

Started by azwaterbaby
Views: 1577 Posts: 13

2004-03-17 7:39 PM malvey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : April 17, 2005
author : Team BT
How to be a BOPer or MOPer in a FOPer world. As a middle of the pack athlete, I have adopted some things I do to assure a victorious feeling at every event I finish.