World Endurance Canada
21C / 70F
Overcast
Total Time = 36m 2s
Overall Rank = 2/199
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/32
Pre-race routine:

It was my first race of the season so I was a bit out of my routine. I didn't plan for the long walk to the transition area and so didn't have as much time to set up as I would have liked. Need to plan for at least 1 hour pre-race setup.
Event warmup:

Didn't have time to get out on the bike for a test ride but was able to get in the water for a short warm-up swim.
Swim
  • 07m 30s
  • 375 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

I did a practice swim in Lake Kelso the day before to get used to the water conditions which definitely helped me today. Tried to control starting out too hard and felt like I was able to hold a good easy pace. Overall a very good swim leg for me.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I had one swimmer on my right that paced with me until the first turn and he kept pushing me a little off course, but not something that I can control.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition time was included in the bike leg

Other than work on getting the wetsuit off quicker, overall a decent T1
Bike
  • 19m 6s
  • 10 kms
  • 31.06 km/hr
Comments:

There were pretty strong winds before the race and the forecast was calling for gusts up to 45 km/h. I was debating whether to leave the FLO 60 on the front or switch out to the stock wheel. I decided to stick with the FLO and it wasn't an issue. The wind was basically head on for the main stretch of the bike leg with some rolling hills.

There were two fairly decent sized hills that were a bit of struggle to climb into the wind, but after the turnaround with the tailwind and downhill I was pushing close to 55 km/hr at one point.

Since it was only 10 kms, I pushed quite hard and definitely above LTHR.

Both T1 and T2 are included in the bike leg and so time is a little better than shown. My Garmin had the bike leg at 34.6 km/hr average.

I felt really good on the bike, but for a Sprint distance I would hold back a little as my pace today would have been too much. Otherwise a good bike leg.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Overall smooth T2. Struggled a little bit with getting my shoes on, but not more than a few seconds

For my first tri of the season, I was quite happy with both my transitions.
Run
  • 09m 27s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 03m 40s  min/km
Comments:

Between the fairly large hill right at the beginning of the run and going too hard on the bike, it took awhile to settle into my run. Also developed a side stich about halfway through, but it was only 2.5 kms and so I just pushed through it. I passed someone in my age group early on and it turns out he was in the lead for M40-44. Ended up 1st in my age group and 2nd overall.

Similar to my bike leg, I would not push as hard for a Sprint distance, but as it was only 2.5 kms I went a little harder than I normally would.
Post race
Event comments:

Since this was my first tri of the season, I decided to just do the "mini sprint" distance. I have several Sprints and an Olympic later in August, and so I treated this as my tune-up race. Overall it went quite well and I was happy with my performance. The swim settled my nerves and I feel confident about my Sprint race next weekend.

Last updated: 2013-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:30 | 375 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 3/32
Overall: 23/199
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:19:06 | 10 kms | 31.06 km/hr
Age Group: 2/32
Overall: 2/199
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:09:27 | 02.5 kms | 03m 40s  min/km
Age Group: 2/32
Overall: 4/199
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-03 1:00 AM

User image

Oakville
Subject: Milton Triathlon - Try-a-Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Milton Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Milton Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Distance

Started by gmjackson
Views: 1234 Posts: 1

2007-06-18 2:05 PM gmjackson

Started by Overkll
Views: 1365 Posts: 1

2007-06-04 12:08 PM Overkll

Started by bill0021
Views: 1245 Posts: 1

2007-06-03 11:08 PM bill0021

Started by jonow6
Views: 2088 Posts: 6

2006-06-08 6:01 AM jonow6

Started by gasping
Views: 1620 Posts: 1

2006-06-05 11:13 PM gasping
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.

date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.
date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.

date : September 14, 2004
author : DoubleDown
Can anyone think of a better way to spend Labour Day weekend than doing your first tri? Ok, maybe doing your 2nd, 3rd...50th tri...but you get my point. :)